North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014 (/showthread.php?tid=1254)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 13 Apr 2014

(13 Apr 2014, 2:05 pm)Racer_Experience nice shots i like the olympian on 310/319 used to enjoy the ride on these they were the best at the time leyland did do good models top 3 produced by Leyland was National, Olympian and of course the Lynx, Nationals were powerful as were the Olympians while the Lynx i used to like the sound of i used to like Redby, Stagecoach and Go North East examples plus Arriva then known as United, Olympians were my favourite Double Decker if these were on 527 i would love the ride straight away no doubt, Nationals right powerhorses they were the best

i miss the Leyland Olympians they were replaced by Volvo Olympian Paletine 2 and its replacements were better too when i was 8 they were new back in them days Spice Girls was still popular, Aqua was getting on my nerves with Barbie Girl and Doctor Jones, Brimful of Asha by Cornershop (Fat Boy Slim Remix) was a canny tune, Robbie Williams was entertaining people with Let Me Entertain you, Steps was now popular, England had finally made it to the World Cup in 1998, Fat Boy Slim had released The Rockafella Skank, Billie Piper had made her singing debut, Stardust had released there only Song Music Sounds Better with you which was later covered by Daft Punk on Alive 2007, Cher had a song called Believe, Celine Dion had that song about Titanic, anyways enough about music and other randoms i used to love the Lynxs the ones Stagecoach had were put it this way was legend

You should check out the link between Stardust and Daft Punk.
Thanks to you and your Crush, I got an answer to a question in the Daily Telegraph crossword puzzle yesterday too!

Was never a fan of the Lynxes.
The examples used on the 194/294 always seemed as though there was an extra seat squeezed into the back, which meant the legroom was very tight.
The facelift that was carried out on them, made them look a right mess too.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Diamond One - 13 Apr 2014

(13 Apr 2014, 4:46 pm)GMitchelhill Well your in for a treat tonight then Bazza as I will be uploading around 60 photos of Leyland National Mk2s and Leyland Lynx Mk2s tonight.

my favourite single deckers of the 90s they were the best

RE: Go North East - Latest - MurdnunoC - 13 Apr 2014

(13 Apr 2014, 2:05 pm)Racer_Experience England had finally made it to the World Cup in 1998

Finally?!?

I'm sorry to off-topic again here but do the years 1950, 1954, 1958, 1962, 1966, 1970, 1982, 1986 and 1990 not qualify like? Finally heavily implies England had not previously qualified for the World Cup despite winning the thing in 1966 and placing 4th in 1990.

As for the Leyland Lynx - Apart from the odd 638 working, I don't really recall seeing them out and about in Western Gateshead very often. I might be wrong though!

RE: Go North East - Latest - Adrian - 13 Apr 2014

(13 Apr 2014, 5:23 pm)AdamY As for the Leyland Lynx - Apart from the odd 638 working, I don't really recall seeing them out and about in Western Gateshead very often. I might be wrong though!

They quite often appeared on the X3 from Washington to Newcastle.

RE: Go North East - Latest - R852 PRG - 13 Apr 2014

I'm just wondering if anybody could find a few photos of Crook depot. I've searched Flickr and the actual depot itself is just inhabited by Weardale vehicles. Would the reason behind few photos be because they would need Weardale's permission to gain entrance? I was speaking to Pat Armstrong a few saturdays ago and she said that half of the Presidents are stored in a special area of the actual garage that is specifically for GNE, while 571 and 572 get stored outside with 6038 and the rest of the Pronto's. I know where Crook is, I just hate navigating and I'm too lazy to be bothered to travel there Tongue. I've found a couple on Flickr that don't reveal that much other than the compound and yard with the OK Way 18s and a few photos of one of the OK Expressway's (I think it was 5231). Anyway if anybody could find a few photos of Go North East vehicles in Crook depot it would be much appreciated, after Peterlee I think it must be the least photographed depot out of all of GNE's.

Cheers,
Marcus

RE: Go North East - Latest - gtom - 13 Apr 2014

(13 Apr 2014, 5:23 pm)AdamY As for the Leyland Lynx - Apart from the odd 638 working, I don't really recall seeing them out and about in Western Gateshead very often. I might be wrong though!

There's a cracking photo about (possibly Garys) showing a Lynx working the 723 passing under Eldon Garden Percy St footbridge

RE: Go North East - Latest - MurdnunoC - 13 Apr 2014

(13 Apr 2014, 5:37 pm)aureolin They quite often appeared on the X3 from Washington to Newcastle.

Which depot operated that service though? I'm guessing Washington.

Admittedly I have no idea what vehicles types were based at Sunderland Road, but I'm pretty sure that Winlaton didn't have that many (if indeed any at all). Come to think of it, I don't think Winlaton (or Sunderland Road for that matter) ever had a Bristol VR based at either depot despite being a regularly used vehicle at other depots.

RE: Go North East - Latest - stueybish - 13 Apr 2014

(13 Apr 2014, 5:48 pm)Marcus I'm just wondering if anybody could find a few photos of Crook depot. I've searched Flickr and the actual depot itself is just inhabited by Weardale vehicles. Would the reason behind few photos be because they would need Weardale's permission to gain entrance? I was speaking to Pat Armstrong a few saturdays ago and she said that half of the Presidents are stored in a special area of the actual garage that is specifically for GNE, while 571 and 572 get stored outside with 6038 and the rest of the Pronto's. I know where Crook is, I just hate navigating and I'm too lazy to be bothered to travel there Tongue. I've found a couple on Flickr that don't reveal that much other than the compound and yard with the OK Way 18s and a few photos of one of the OK Expressway's (I think it was 5231). Anyway if anybody could find a few photos of Go North East vehicles in Crook depot it would be much appreciated, after Peterlee I think it must be the least photographed depot out of all of GNE's.

Cheers,
Marcus

You are wasting your time going to Crook to see GNE buses - after 0800 they are all out on the road with the two spares parked in Bishop Auckland bus station

RE: Go North East - Latest - Rapidsnap - 13 Apr 2014

(13 Apr 2014, 5:48 pm)gtom There's a cracking photo about (possibly Garys) showing a Lynx working the 723 passing under Eldon Garden Percy St footbridge

Not mine.

GNE Mk2 Lynxes 4817-4819 have always been at Deptford depot. I have been on one of them on the 638 from Winlaton to Sunderland (great trip).

They mainly ran on the X2, but I think they appeared on the 161 a few times.

(13 Apr 2014, 7:06 pm)GMitchelhill Not mine.

GNE Mk2 Lynxes 4817-4819 have always been at Deptford depot. I have been on one of them on the 638 from Winlaton to Sunderland (great trip).

They mainly ran on the X2, but I think they appeared on the 161 a few times.

I done the Fatfield to Winlaton element of that run on a Delta once. Was certainly a bit of a marathon! Tongue

And the Lynxes and the National Mk2s are now online - http://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/

RE: Go North East - Latest - MrFozz - 13 Apr 2014

(13 Apr 2014, 8:16 pm)GMitchelhill And the Lynxes and the National Mk2s are now online - http://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/

Some nice photos there Gary...

Leyland is probably my favourite manufacturer of buses, The National is my favourite, was a proper workhorse of a vehicle...I also liked the Atlantean and Olympian

RE: Go North East - Latest - RM2186 - 13 Apr 2014

That brought back memories, I actually owned two of those FTN***W Mk 2 Nationals for a short while.

RE: Go North East - Latest - northern156 - 13 Apr 2014

Noticed 557 NK53TKV on the AD122 again today.

(13 Apr 2014, 8:41 pm)RM2186 That brought back memories, I actually owned two of those FTN***W Mk 2 Nationals for a short while.

As an operator or preservation. If it's an operator, it wasn't Astley Coaches in Ashington by chance. Recall them having 4695 (could have be 4694) and 4700.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 13 Apr 2014

(13 Apr 2014, 8:41 pm)RM2186 That brought back memories, I actually owned two of those FTN***W Mk 2 Nationals for a short while.

Great vehicles.
Almost on their last legs until they got repowered and returned.

RE: Go North East - Latest - RM2186 - 13 Apr 2014

(13 Apr 2014, 8:57 pm)GMitchelhill As an operator or preservation. If it's an operator, it wasn't Astley Coaches in Ashington by chance. Recall them having 4695 (could have be 4694) and 4700.

Erm, as a preservationist in theory, but they were sold very quickly as I owned them in partnership. One went to an operator in Nottingham and the other as a parts donor in Essex.

The only bus I own these days is an ex London Greenline 1972 AEC Swift with Alexander W type body......shades of Northern there

Nationals and Olympians everywhere to be seen. Those were the days. The new bus smell doesn't beat the smell of fumes at the back of a National.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Davey Bowyer - 13 Apr 2014

(13 Apr 2014, 9:04 pm)aureolin Nationals and Olympians everywhere to be seen. Those were the days. The new bus smell doesn't beat the smell of fumes at the back of a National.

And;

- No ECU's
- No DPF's
- No emission regulations
- Powerful engines
- Workhorses
- Built to last
- No tech or electrics

RE: Go North East - Latest - 47406 - 13 Apr 2014

I co owned 4700

Andrew