North East Buses
Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Arriva North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? (/showthread.php?tid=4195)

Pages: 1 2

Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? - Jimmi - 17 Dec 2022

A few buses have been fitted with the Tap On, Tap Off Ticketer contactless pads, one of them is Darlington E400 7534 (at least one Pulsar somewhere has one too).
.jpg VideoCapture_20221216-153148.jpg

RE: Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? - PH - BQA - 17 Dec 2022

(17 Dec 2022, 11:31 am)Jimmi wrote A few buses have been fitted with the Tap On, Tap Off Ticketer contactless pads, one of them is Darlington E400 7534 (at least one Pulsar somewhere has one too).

Someone asked about this on Twitter the other day, the response was: "This system is being installed on our vehicles in preparation for a release in the New Year. All information about the new system will be given out in due course."

Link to the tweet: https://twitter.com/arrivanortheast/status/1603342928998502400?s=20&t=tMq3ALjFn1puCb-S3PqL6A

RE: Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? - Storx - 17 Dec 2022

Good to see it's coming up here, the fact Yorkshire got it last month - I believe, it was just a matter of time before it came here.

https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/ticket-info/tap-on-tap-off - Details about it are here.

It uses - https://littlepay.com/

RE: Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? - 9920up - 17 Dec 2022

(17 Dec 2022, 11:31 am)Jimmi wrote A few buses have been fitted with the Tap On, Tap Off Ticketer contactless pads, one of them is Darlington E400 7534 (at least one Pulsar somewhere has one too).
Darlington Pulsar 1509 is fitted. Clocked it yesterday

RE: Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? - peter - 18 Dec 2022

Was on 1405 today and that had one fitted too

RE: Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? - logidoodah - 19 Dec 2022

(17 Dec 2022, 12:04 pm)Storx wrote Good to see it's coming up here, the fact Yorkshire got it last month - I believe, it was just a matter of time before it came here.

https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/ticket-info/tap-on-tap-off - Details about it are here.

It uses - https://littlepay.com/

Can you believe I was on an X24 the other day and someone asked if there was tap on tap off on this bus and the driver was soo confused! He was like whats that? and oh it doesn't matter you going to newcastle? that's £5 please. Then shook his head at the guy! haha

RE: Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? - wibblejunior - 19 Dec 2022

I was on one of the MAX ALX400s last week (can't remember which one though) and that appearedt o have been fitted with one as well.

RE: Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? - tvd - 19 Dec 2022

I used a First York bus today and did tap on / tap off. The driver told me to tap the card on the card reader at the cab (the same as normal pass holders or card payers would use) and I tapped off the same, only realising afterwards maybe you are supposed to tap and at the drivers machine and tap off at the contactless pad as pictured on this thread?

I'm assuming although different operators, the way you do it should be the same? Anyway, it worked with me using the drivers machine twice, and I'll see what I'm charged !

RE: Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? - RobinHood - 19 Dec 2022

(19 Dec 2022, 7:42 pm)tvd wrote I used a First York bus today and did tap on / tap off.    The driver told me to tap the card on the card reader at the cab (the same as normal pass holders or card payers would use) and I tapped off the same, only realising afterwards maybe you are supposed to tap and at the drivers machine and tap off at the contactless pad as pictured on this thread?

I'm assuming although different operators, the way you do it should be the same?  Anyway, it worked with me using the drivers machine twice, and I'll see what I'm charged !
You can tap on and off at the driver machine just fine.

The reason most operators are fitting these extra tap off points is to simply speed up the boarding/alighting process, allowing the system to do both at once.

RE: Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? - Unber43 - 19 Dec 2022

Tbf it would make sense just to tap the drivers cab, then tap off when you get off.

Actually now that I think of it its the best way of doing it imo

RE: Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? - tvd - 20 Dec 2022

(19 Dec 2022, 8:54 pm)RobinHood wrote You can tap on and off at the driver machine just fine.

The reason most operators are fitting these extra tap off points is to simply speed up the boarding/alighting process, allowing the system to do both at once.

Thanks Smile

RE: Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? - Rob44 - 20 Dec 2022

So this isnt going to be like lothian where you just tap on? Is that due to Lothian having a flat fare?

RE: Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? - NEbushopper - 23 Dec 2022

Probs due to the flat fare on lothian. Would be intresting to what hapens with the £2 fare cap.

RE: Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? - NEbushopper - 28 Feb 2023

Has there been any updates to the roll out of it? think most buses have it installed now

RE: Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? - RobinHood - 28 Feb 2023

(28 Feb 2023, 8:20 pm)NEbushopper wrote Has there been any updates to the roll out of it? think most buses have it installed now
Goes live on 12th March I believe.

RE: Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? - Unber43 - 01 Mar 2023

Tap On Tap Off, the quick and easy way to pay for your bus travel at the best price*, is now on board Arriva Buses.
Simply hop on the bus and tap on with your driver using a credit/debit card or with Google Pay or Apple Pay and when you leave just tap off with the dedicated reader. We then automatically calculate and charge the best adult fare.

So, you can tap on and off as many times as you want and travel knowing you’ll always pay the best price.

Where can I use Tap On Tap Off?

Leicester
Wales
Yorkshire
Further locations will be added very soon
How we calculate your fare

We calculate your fare to make sure you’re charged the best adult price:

When you tap on and tap off for one journey, we’ll work out the adult single fare for that journey and you’ll just pay the single fare.
If you make additional journeys throughout the same day, your payment will be capped at an adult Day ticket price.
If you make additional journeys throughout the week, your price will be capped at an adult Weekly ticket price.
It’s as easy as, well, tapping on and off!

https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/ticket-info/tap-on-tap-off?fbclid=IwAR27d3Q0NQCN1sJJJi9TL6IovR9MRa6vWmYQkwnFAvwa1xevQJ7kpMyTesM

RE: Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? - streetdeckfan - 22 Mar 2023

Has anyone used ToTo yet?

I wanted to give it a go but didn't want to risk embarrassing myself.

RE: Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? - Thomas12 - 22 Mar 2023

(22 Mar 2023, 11:25 am)streetdeckfan wrote Has anyone used ToTo yet?

I wanted to give it a go but didn't want to risk embarrassing myself.

Yeah, it worked fine. The driver actually suggested to use it to passengers, and explained they would have to tap off when they got to their destination.

Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? - streetdeckfan - 22 Mar 2023

Well, that was a failure!
Tried to use ToTo on the 6 and it apparently wasn't working.

Just checked the website and it looks like it recognised the tap in, so let's see if I get charged!

Not looking forward to having to get in touch with Arriva for a refund!

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

RE: Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? - Shrek - 22 Mar 2023

I've used it several times without issue, and it has already saved me money. It can slightly slow down the process of people getting on and off though, it's not quite as efficient as similar services I've used in places like Riga where they have several doors to disembark from.

RE: Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? - NEbushopper - 22 Mar 2023

(22 Mar 2023, 5:23 pm)Shrek wrote I've used it several times without issue, and it has already saved me money. It can slightly slow down the process of people getting on and off though, it's not quite as efficient as similar services I've used in places like Riga where they have several doors to disembark from.

It can slow boarding. Noticed this at Haymarket on Saturday when there was some issues with the readers.

RE: Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? - PH - BQA - 22 Mar 2023

(22 Mar 2023, 5:23 pm)Shrek wrote I've used it several times without issue

Yep, I've used it this week when commuting and it's done the £2 singles no problem at all when checking my bank the next day and the website. 

Some drivers seem to be pushing people to do it as soon as they look to pay by card which is good for building habits. Seems to massively speed up boarding compared to all the £2 singles that have been printed in recent months, and in my experience only slightly delays people getting off.

Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? - streetdeckfan - 22 Mar 2023

Just checked again and it looks like I've been charged for the ToTo ticket despite having to buy a separate single.

[Image: cfc24dc0a358422f19f435d0df58057e.jpg]

RE: Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? - F114TML - 23 Mar 2023

(22 Mar 2023, 11:45 am)Thomas12 wrote Yeah, it worked fine. The driver actually suggested to use it to passengers, and explained they would have to tap off when they got to their destination.
I was on a 22 last week and the driver seemed to be telling people to use it.

No one did, and it kept making the beeping noise ticketers make when they accept a card payment, but still.

RE: Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? - streetdeckfan - 23 Mar 2023

(23 Mar 2023, 11:31 am)F114TML wrote I was on a 22 last week and the driver seemed to be telling people to use it.

No one did, and it kept making the beeping noise ticketers make when they accept a card payment, but still.
I used it again on my way back and it worked perfectly.

The driver was telling others to use it, and to tap out when they got off, but nobody did.

I suppose it doesn't really matter with the £2 ticket

RE: Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? - PH - BQA - 23 Mar 2023

(23 Mar 2023, 11:32 am)streetdeckfan wrote I used it again on my way back and it worked perfectly.

The driver was telling others to use it, and to tap out when they got off, but nobody did.

I forgot to tap out on my way home last night, ironically just after I'd posted about how good my experience had been with it, and noticed this morning that it had been noted as incomplete but also has a button to give me the option to raise a correction request. I assume for genuine, one off, cases after the £2 fares end that this will be quite useful for people who forget to tap off.

I imagine Arriva will be lenient with the first request or two an individual makes, but afterwards will probably clamp down hard.

RE: Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? - streetdeckfan - 23 Mar 2023

(23 Mar 2023, 12:07 pm)mb134 wrote I forgot to tap out on my way home last night, ironically just after I'd posted about how good my experience had been with it, and noticed this morning that it had been noted as incomplete but also has a button to give me the option to raise a correction request. I assume for genuine, one off, cases after the £2 fares end that this will be quite useful for people who forget to tap off.

I imagine Arriva will be lenient with the first request or two an individual makes, but afterwards will probably clamp down hard.

I tried to raise a correction to knock it down to zero since I had to purchase a separate ticket, but it just gave me an error lol.

I've submitted a complaint to Arriva's customer services, I wonder how long it'll take for them to get back to me!

One handy thing is the ToTo website shows normal tickets purchased with the card as well, so you can see I tapped in then bought a ticket about 30 seconds later!

RE: Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? - Jimmi - 24 Mar 2023

(23 Mar 2023, 11:32 am)streetdeckfan wrote I used it again on my way back and it worked perfectly.

This is a thing that takes some getting used to, trentbarton/Kinchbus have had TOTO for ages and it seems like people in that area have it hardwired into them now as I've seen many people do it when using their buses recently (there's is done on the actual ticket machine rather than a separate pad when alighting).

Naturally, people will still forget from time to time.

RE: Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? - L469 YVK - 25 Mar 2023

Will it be possible for GNE & Arriva to integrate TOTO for the Coast Road partnership?

I.e.....passenger goes out on a 306/308 then comes back on a 307/309?

Or.....passenger gets 1 from Bedlington Station to Blyth then 309 to Whitley Bay?

RE: Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon? - Michael - 25 Mar 2023

(25 Mar 2023, 10:43 am)L469 YVK wrote Will it be possible for GNE & Arriva to integrate TOTO for the Coast Road partnership?

I.e.....passenger goes out on a 306/308 then comes back on a 307/309?

Or.....passenger gets 1 from Bedlington Station to Blyth then 309 to Whitley Bay?

Says that on the page about the changes:

Joint ticket acceptance has been agreed between Go North East and Arriva, so that you can use your ticket on any bus regardless of who runs it – this means that if you buy a return ticket with us on a morning, you can travel home on an Arriva bus on a night, and vice versa!