North East Buses
At last....... - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: At last....... (/showthread.php?tid=4421)

At last....... - Rob44 - 24 Oct 2023

All GNE buses terminating at Gateshead MEtro, even if its only for a couple of hours.... its how it should be!!!

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/borussia-dortmund-champions-league-newcastle-27968060

RE: At last....... - Ambassador - 24 Oct 2023

(24 Oct 2023, 10:49 am)Rob44 wrote All GNE buses terminating at Gateshead MEtro, even if its only for a couple of hours.... its how it should be!!!

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/borussia-dortmund-champions-league-newcastle-27968060

Which in practice is fine - but with reduced Metro capacity - if it's anything like the strikes, you won't get anywhere near a Metro at Gateshead

RE: At last....... - V514DFT - 24 Oct 2023

So since you harp on about it so much, what would you terminate at Gateshead?, keeping in mind how much of a bottleneck Gateshead is

RE: At last....... - Rob44 - 24 Oct 2023

(24 Oct 2023, 1:10 pm)V514DFT wrote So since you harp on about it so much, what would you terminate at Gateshead?, keeping in mind how much of a bottleneck Gateshead is

Nice and simple answer for you the lot!

(24 Oct 2023, 1:06 pm)Ambassador wrote Which in practice is fine - but with reduced Metro capacity - if it's anything like the strikes, you won't get anywhere near a Metro at Gateshead

Which is a fair point but if a decision was made to terminate all buses at Gatehsead surely the metro could ( maybe not at the minute but in future _) increase capacity to accommodate this, meaning buses that take 20 minutes to get to eldon square from the tyne bridge would be able to keep to time

(24 Oct 2023, 1:38 pm)Rob44 wrote Nice and simple answer for you the lot!

Which is a fair point but if a decision was made to terminate all buses at Gatehsead surely the metro could ( maybe not at the minute but in future _) increase capacity to accommodate this, meaning buses that take 20 minutes to get to eldon square from the tyne bridge would be able to keep to time

Well thats a stupid answer and not realistic AT ALL!!!

RE: At last....... - Adrian - 24 Oct 2023

(24 Oct 2023, 1:06 pm)Ambassador wrote Which in practice is fine - but with reduced Metro capacity - if it's anything like the strikes, you won't get anywhere near a Metro at Gateshead

Exactly this. For me, it only works if you run some Pelaw shorts. Otherwise you're sending already busy Metros, especially those from South Shields, through Gateshead.

(24 Oct 2023, 1:44 pm)V514DFT wrote Well thats a stupid answer and not realistic AT ALL!!!

In your view

(24 Oct 2023, 1:55 pm)Adrian wrote Exactly this. For me, it only works if you run some Pelaw shorts. Otherwise you're sending already busy Metros, especially those from South Shields, through Gateshead.

They've ran them in the past why not in the future with new rolling stock that's coming?

Just think how much GNE would have saved in upgrading buses if they had turned around at gateshead ( i think the bus station was outside the zone, correct me if Im wrong though?)

(24 Oct 2023, 1:44 pm)V514DFT wrote Well thats a stupid answer and not realistic AT ALL!!!

Which particular streets of Gateshead do you see the bottleneck, and more importantly, what would you do to improve it?

Maybe that's more constructive than suggesting someone is giving stupid answers?

RE: At last....... - Ambassador - 24 Oct 2023

(24 Oct 2023, 1:58 pm)Rob44 wrote Just think how much GNE would have saved in upgrading buses if they had turned around at gateshead ( i think the bus station was outside the zone, correct me if Im wrong though?)

Until you have truly integrated ticketing you can't do it but it's not 1970s, public attitude to public transport isn't intermodal. They want the easiest option. They don't want to get off, hike down the endless stairs in the uninviting, mobile phone signal-ess tiled hell hole of Gateshead Metro station where they might not even get a seat on a jam packed metro.

The Metro doesn't offer access to the infamous Microbus/Askew Road area or the southern entry areas to the City 

Metro's problems aren't limited to it's rolling stock. You'd need to address safety and access issues first and the general capacity. 

It's why we still have Metrolink and the bus network duplicating and running side by side in Manchester

- In terms of Gateshead - they need to realign the signals so buses can flow through Askew Road and onto the Tyne Bridge - there's far too many traffic lights down there that impede the bus journey

(24 Oct 2023, 2:19 pm)Ambassador wrote Until you have truly integrated ticketing you can't do it but it's not 1970s, public attitude to public transport isn't intermodal. They want the easiest option. They don't want to get off, hike down the endless stairs in the uninviting, mobile phone signal-ess tiled hell hole of Gateshead Metro station where they might not even get a seat on a jam packed metro.

The Metro doesn't offer access to the infamous Microbus/Askew Road area or the southern entry areas to the City 

Metro's problems aren't limited to it's rolling stock. You'd need to address safety and access issues first and the general capacity. 

It's why we still have Metrolink and the bus network duplicating and running side by side in Manchester

- In terms of Gateshead - they need to realign the signals so buses can flow through Askew Road and onto the Tyne Bridge - there's far too many traffic lights down there that impede the bus journey

Some goo points but i would say

! Askew road is now much better then it was and that's from the experience of using it.  I once missed the forst few minutes of an NUFC game as the bus i was on was stuck in the old layout for what seemed like hours!  i wish i'd taken my own advise that day and got the metro!

Im sure if they said in April 1st 2024 all GNE bus will terminate at gateshead GNE and Nexus and other will have worked out a system and improved what you mentioned.  They are not cowboy outfits you know!

In all my years of traveling i'd be lucky if 50 people have got off at askew road or on at the south end of the high level

I know noting about Manchester as the few times i've been there i seem to spend most of my time in pubs but i haven't said anything about getting rid of buses such as the 1 ( which i've heard duplicates most of the merto line).

RE: At last....... - DeltaMan - 24 Oct 2023

Given the amount of times operators have bailed out Metro over the years (even as early as today) it's only fair the pain goes the other way from time to time.

(24 Oct 2023, 1:58 pm)Rob44 wrote In your view

They've ran them in the past why not in the future with new rolling stock that's coming?

Just think how much GNE would have saved in upgrading buses if they had turned around at gateshead ( i think the bus station was outside the zone, correct me if Im wrong though?)

Pathetic, tell you what then, we'll terminate your 28/28B/29 at Gateshead, see how you like the idea then, you'll sharp moan when it doesnt go to Newcastle anymore

RE: At last....... - MurdnunoC - 24 Oct 2023

At last!!!!!

All GNE buses terminating at Central Station, just like the 1980s when you had to walk from Marlborough Crescent into the city centre. Take that you lazy so and sos!!

(24 Oct 2023, 2:00 pm)Adrian wrote Which particular streets of Gateshead do you see the bottleneck, and more importantly, what would you do to improve it?

Maybe that's more constructive than suggesting someone is giving stupid answers?

Must be blind, the interchange itself for one, but i just ignore you cus you snipe at everything i say,cus you're a moderator, you think you can, dont wish to converse with you thankyou

(24 Oct 2023, 2:49 pm)V514DFT wrote Must be blind, the interchange itself for one, but i just ignore you cus you snipe at everything i say,cus you're a moderator, you think you can, dont wish to converse with you thankyou

[Image: youre-hard-david-brent.gif]

(24 Oct 2023, 2:49 pm)V514DFT wrote Must be blind, the interchange itself for one, but i just ignore you cus you snipe at everything i say,cus you're a moderator, you think you can, dont wish to converse with you thankyou

Ah ok, so it's that much of a problem that you can't give a single example of it!

(24 Oct 2023, 2:48 pm)MurdnunoC wrote At last!!!!!

All GNE buses terminating at Central Station, just like the 1980s when you had to walk from Marlborough Crescent into the city centre. Take that you lazy so and sos!!

I've done that plenty in my younger days !!  397/44 to newcastle. off at haymarket. Walk to marlbough crescent check for money on floor from drunks on friday night then 631 or 633 to winlaton

Way back either same or 648/649 to gateshead metro, complain to driver that is not going to Newcastle , metro to haymanrket bus back to rigg.

Also me and the fun police are no more so ive moved to a penthouse on the 27 route..... when that runs i would obviously allow that to drop off in town, but extend it to eldon square so i cancatch bus to the rigg or go for drinks in crows, bulls, swans,hotspur or junction!

(24 Oct 2023, 3:33 pm)Rob44 wrote I've done that plenty in my younger days !!  397/44 to newcastle. off at haymarket. Walk to marlbough crescent check for money on floor from drunks on friday night then 631 or 633 to winlaton

Way back either same or 648/649 to gateshead metro, complain to driver that is not going to Newcastle , metro to haymanrket bus back to rigg.

Also me and the fun police are no more so ive moved to a penthouse on the 27 route..... when that runs i would obviously allow that to drop off in town, but extend it to eldon square so i cancatch bus to the rigg or go for drinks in crows, bulls, swans,hotspur or junction!
I mean, whilst my comments were very much tongue-in-cheek, I absolutely hated walking along Clayton Street with my parents into town as a child before the 631, 632 and 633 (not forgetting the 642 too) were extended to Newgate Street when I was around 6 or 7 years old. It's such a piddly little distance now, and probably was to my parents back then, but it might as well have been a 10-mile trek for my little legs at the time.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

(24 Oct 2023, 4:04 pm)MurdnunoC wrote I mean, whilst my comments were very much tongue-in-cheek, I absolutely hated walking along Clayton Street with my parents into town as a child before the 631, 632 and 633 (not forgetting the 642 too) were extended to Newgate Street when I was around 6 or 7 years old. It's such a piddly little distance now, and probably was to my parents back then, but it might as well have been a 10-mile trek for my little legs at the time.

Totally agree and i must admit to sometime cheating and getting the 1 or 2 to where the swans is now when it was raining or cold! 

I was not a fan of newgate street to be honest the pathing stones under the big car park were always slippy and the weather clock on the old co op building was never correct!!

(24 Oct 2023, 4:09 pm)Rob44 wrote Totally agree and i must admit to sometime cheating and getting the 1 or 2 to where the swans is now when it was raining or cold! 

I was not a fan of newgate street to be honest the pathing stones under the big car park were always slippy and the weather clock on the old co op building was never correct!!
To be fair, I always felt a little short-changed when the Winlaton services terminated at Newgate Street as opposed to the Ryton (and beyond) services terminating at Eldon Square and doing the Gallowgate/Bath Lane/Waterloo Street route down to Marlborough.

RE: At last....... - Ambassador - 26 Oct 2023

My personal feedback on this

I got off at Gateshead with 2 full 21s, an equally full 56 and a 58…all deckers to a metro already operating a reduced frequency

3 Metros went past, all full. I ended up getting a metro to Felling and jumping on there and riding back.

Metro is not equipped to support the network in the short to medium term, it can barely support its own passengers