North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2015 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2015 (/showthread.php?tid=831)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - Michael - 07 Jan 2015

(07 Jan 2015, 12:03 pm)Dan Former "Laser" branded Scania L94UB/Wright Solar 4968 (NK53 UNU) is the latest example to arrive at Saltmeadows for repaint into "Prince Bishops" purple, ahead of the service changes later this month.

Former "Silver Arrows" branded Mercedes Citaro 0530N/Mercedes Citaro 5325 (NK58 DWC) still remains at Saltmeadows, despite being sent to Saltmeadows on December 29th. Likely that Go North East will try to fit in three Scanias per week instead of two Scanias and one Merc - clearly a problem of some sort as it definitely doesn't take nine days to repaint a bus!

Was just about to ask if 5325 had being sent back yet.

These repaints should be done soon for the Prince Bishops, going fast. 

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - Adam - 07 Jan 2015

Forgot to mention, Coaster 5265 broke down at Stand C at Gateshead earlier

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - mb134 - 07 Jan 2015

5244's display was showing a red square instead of the number 19 when I saw it on it's way to North Shields.

Out of interest do GNE operate the 19 north of Northumberland Park commercially, or is there a contract? Just seems a bit strange that the 19 is the only Go North East service in the Ashington/ Bedlington area. It always seems like it has decent loads, just makes you wonder if Go North East would consider operating in Northumberland again?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - Tom - 07 Jan 2015

(07 Jan 2015, 8:16 pm)mb134 Out of interest do GNE operate the 19 north of Northumberland Park commercially, or is there a contract? Just seems a bit strange that the 19 is the only Go North East service in the Ashington/ Bedlington area. It always seems like it has decent loads, just makes you wonder if Go North East would consider operating in Northumberland again?

It's funded by Go Smarter from Cramlington to Ashington.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - Dan - 07 Jan 2015

(07 Jan 2015, 8:18 pm)Tom It's funded by Go Smarter from Cramlington to Ashington.

Don't think it's fully funded though - I think it's just a contribution..? There's no contractual requirements when it comes to service 19 (under GNE operation).

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - Tom - 07 Jan 2015

(07 Jan 2015, 8:20 pm)Dan Don't think it's fully funded though - I think it's just a contribution..? There's no contractual requirements when it comes to service 19 (under GNE operation).

Is it not?
I thought it was fully funded. 

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - Jimmi - 07 Jan 2015

(07 Jan 2015, 8:16 pm)mb134 Out of interest do GNE operate the 19 north of Northumberland Park commercially, or is there a contract? Just seems a bit strange that the 19 is the only Go North East service in the Ashington/ Bedlington area. It always seems like it has decent loads, just makes you wonder if Go North East would consider operating in Northumberland again?

Got to say that there was a decent amount of passengers on-board when I rode it from Bedlington to Royal Quays recently, many got off in Cramlington and then it was people hopping on and off at various points.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - Dan - 07 Jan 2015

(07 Jan 2015, 8:21 pm)Tom Is it not?
I thought it was fully funded. 

The 'Go Smarter' programme appears to be funded by the North East Combined Authority, and Go North East appears to be the beneficiary of a sum of money most months. See details of NECA's expenditure on attached Excel documents:
.xls
April 2014.xls
Size 34 KB / Downloads 11

.xls
June 2014.xls
Size 30.5 KB / Downloads 7

.xls
July 2014.xls
Size 51.5 KB / Downloads 12

.xls
Aug 2014.xls
Size 31.5 KB / Downloads 14

The funding varies by month; in August, no funding was given to Go North East as part of the Go Smarter programme.

This has been discussed a number of times before. Whilst I am fairly sure that it isn't fully secured, there is some funding given to support the Cramlington - Ashington section of the route, providing links to the employment sites on the fully commercial Cramlington - North Shields section of route.

(07 Jan 2015, 8:18 pm)Tom It's funded by Go Smarter from Cramlington to Ashington.

(07 Jan 2015, 8:20 pm)Dan Don't think it's fully funded though - I think it's just a contribution..? There's no contractual requirements when it comes to service 19 (under GNE operation).
(07 Jan 2015, 8:22 pm)Jimmi Got to say that there was a decent amount of passengers on-board when I rode it from Bedlington to Royal Quays recently, many got off in Cramlington and then it was people hopping on and off at various points.
Thanks Dan and Tom, if it is partially contributed towards it still means Go North East will make money if the route does right?

In my experiences I agree with Jimmi, it seems pretty well used. I think if there were more services in the area, people might be tempted. Every time I've seen the 19 it's been pretty much on time, with a presentable clean looking bus, which can only improve peoples opinion of the company. If I'm honest, if I could use a GNE service I would do, but none go anywhere near my house, and I'd have to get an Arriva bus first. I was talking to a few of my friends the other week who use the Sapphire X22 to get to school and they say that the new buses haven't made much difference, they are still late all of the time. I'm assuming they aren't alone in thinking this so maybe if GNE did move in, they'd get custom.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - Adam - 09 Jan 2015

Noted this morning that 3877 has gained an LED destination blind, replacing the old flipdot one. 

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - Dan - 09 Jan 2015

Former "Fast Cats" branded Scania L94UB/Wright Solar 4954 (NL02 ZRX) is the latest example to arrive at Saltmeadows for repaint. Due to the PVR decrease of the "Fast Cats" X36 by one vehicle, this vehicle will be repainted into a purple base livery for use on the revised "Prince Bishops" 20/20A services between South Shields and Durham.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - Adrian - 09 Jan 2015

6017's side blind isn't working. Not sure whether it needs looking at, given the new DDA rules in force?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - DanPicken - 09 Jan 2015

3979 kept cutting on when it performed my scholars which annoyed over half the bus including me.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - Michael - 09 Jan 2015

(09 Jan 2015, 3:45 pm)Dan Former "Fast Cats" branded Scania L94UB/Wright Solar 4954 (NL02 ZRX) is the latest example to arrive at Saltmeadows for repaint. Due to the PVR decrease of the "Fast Cats" X36 by one vehicle, this vehicle will be repainted into a purple base livery for use on the revised "Prince Bishops" 20/20A services between South Shields and Durham.

Thought it would of being 4954 to be repainted, which of the Go North East scania's will be repainted purple, the ex fab 56 ones?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - S813 FVK - 09 Jan 2015

(09 Jan 2015, 5:53 pm)Michael Thought it would of being 4954 to be repainted, which of the Go North East scania's will be repainted purple, the ex fab 56 ones?

As long as they're euro 5 and until it happens, nobody can be certain of any future repaints (if you can understand what i mean :s ).

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - L469 YVK - 09 Jan 2015

If the 14 Red Arrows B9TLs became free (11 needed Mon to Sat and 5 eve and Sun) and GNE did the following:

- X51 every 30 mins (60 eve and Sun) serving X21 route to Bedlington Front St from Seacrest Rd then X22 route to Newcastle but only calling at Regent Centre after A1068 / Seaton Burn.

- X52 every 30 mins (60 eve and Sun) serving same route as above but North Seaton instead of Wansbeck Hosp then same route as X51 from Ashington.

They could oust the X21 and all the X22 would have is the punters between Ashington and Bedlington and here's why:
- Powerful engines for reliability and punctuality.
- No fancy detours via Nedderton.
- Free Wi-Fi and High Back seats.
- Simple 15 min (30 eve and Sun) combined frequency between Ashington and Newcastle throughout.
- Radio control in event of emergency, breakdown or delay.
- Many connections available in Newcastle including Metrocentre, Tyne Valley, Gateshead, Durham and Teesside.
- Better passenger trust.
- All buses wheelchair and buggy friendly unlike 7501 - 09.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - Adrian - 09 Jan 2015

(09 Jan 2015, 5:54 pm)DaveyBowyer If the 14 Red Arrows B9TLs became free (11 needed Mon to Sat and 5 eve and Sun) and GNE did the following:

- X51 every 30 mins (60 eve and Sun) serving X21 route to Bedlington Front St from Seacrest Rd then X22 route to Newcastle but only calling at Regent Centre after A1068 / Seaton Burn.

- X52 every 30 mins (60 eve and Sun) serving same route as above but North Seaton instead of Wansbeck Hosp then same route as X51 from Ashington.

They could oust the X21 and all the X22 would have is the punters between Ashington and Bedlington and here's why:
- Simple 15 min (30 eve and Sun) combined frequency between Ashington and Newcastle throughout.
- Many connections available in Newcastle including Metrocentre, Tyne Valley, Gateshead, Durham and Teesside.

It's likely that GNE would face the same issues as Arriva do on the Durham Road corridor. There are no connecting services, and there isn't a Network One equivalent for Northumberland. Besides that, I can't see the point of replicating an existing route like for like, when surely the key is to come up with something better than what they've got now?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - Kuyoyo - 09 Jan 2015

(09 Jan 2015, 6:35 pm)aureolin It's likely that GNE would face the same issues as Arriva do on the Durham Road corridor. There are no connecting services, and there isn't a Network One equivalent for Northumberland. Besides that, I can't see the point of replicating an existing route like for like, when surely the key is to come up with something better than what they've got now?

Exactly - you can't do better than a combined 10 minutely Ashington-Newcastle service. Plus, even if you did put a half hourly service along those lines via North Seaton, people are still going to use the hourly X20 due to its quicker journey times even if it isn't Sapphire or MAX (at present).

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - Malarkey - 09 Jan 2015

(09 Jan 2015, 5:54 pm)DaveyBowyer If the 14 Red Arrows B9TLs became free (11 needed Mon to Sat and 5 eve and Sun) and GNE did the following:

Even if the Red Arrows did gain Investment this year, I would much rather see 6001-6007 go on the X21 and 3943/6049 to 6055 being utilised on the X30/X31 depending on the PVRs of these Services, I think the X21 is 7 iirc.