Menu

Pages (2)    1 2
ne14ne1   01 Dec 2020, 4:11 pm
Someone got their head jammed in the original Metro barriers but it didn’t mean the North East wasn’t ever allowed barriers again.
Time moves on, technology develops, safety features have advanced and operational procedures & training more stringent nowadays.
Exit doors have a sensitive edge now, they don’t allow the bus to move off until they’re closed, and there’s a screen in the cab for the driver to monitor before shutting them.
Sure, a few bus stops may need small changes to kerbside infrastructure or street furniture, or for the odd stop if changes can’t be made/funded then simply add a line to that stop’s NSA, e.g “Next stop, Corner House. Please exit via the front doors at this stop”.

I don’t personally think there should be such resistance to dual doors. They’re accepted and used safely worldwide and in recent years have been (re)introduced in Bristol, Brighton, Cambridge & Edinburgh.
streetdeckfan   01 Dec 2020, 4:42 pm
I personally don't get the appeal of dual doors, sure they're probably more efficient at getting passengers on and off, but to say they improve social distancing is a load of rubbish. Getting on and off the bus is probably the least risky parts of travelling on board, it's the sitting for half an hour next to other people that's the issue! (and I wouldn't even say that's an issue tbh)

They also decrease the number of seats, are no doubt more costly initially and to maintain as there are more moving parts, and really only make sense on routes which have a high turnover of passengers at each stop. I really can't think of any GNE routes that would actually benefit from it in a meaningful way.
Ambassador   01 Dec 2020, 6:52 pm
The Angel ran with centre doors for years, passengers were just incapable of using them

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Storx   01 Dec 2020, 6:57 pm
(01 Dec 2020, 2:28 pm)Rob44 wrote Didn't the Original electric quayside Q! bus have dual doors that were used???

Yeah they did. When they were on the road anyway.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
ne14ne1   01 Dec 2020, 8:05 pm
As did Citylink 58, X66 and Great Park & Ride X40 artics.
Rob44   02 Dec 2020, 2:40 pm
(01 Dec 2020, 8:05 pm)ne14ne1 wrote As did Citylink 58,  X66 and Great Park & Ride X40 artics.

What i meant was the Quay link electric buses used by stagecoach were bought with duel doors so cant have been " illegal" or a "heath and safty issue" where the ones you sated above were buses brought to the region with the doors already in situ
WestDurhamSwift   03 Dec 2020, 12:54 am
(02 Dec 2020, 2:40 pm)Rob44 wrote What i meant was the Quay link electric buses used by stagecoach were bought with duel doors so cant have been " illegal" or a "heath and safty issue" where the ones you sated above were buses brought to the region with the doors already in situ

When then Quaylink was launched every bus stop/shelter was upgraded for the doors, if not all, most were customer stops which were recognisable as 'Quaylink stops' 

Not sure how many stops still have these shelters they were originally silver with the quaylink logo plastered on them with the scheme matching the bus livery.
Pages (2)    1 2