You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Stagecoach & National Express merger

Stagecoach & National Express merger

RE: Stagecoach & National Express merger
(26 Sep 2021, 7:39 pm)TonyFoster88 wrote https://www.theguardian.com/business/202...in-tycoons
Interesting article

I agree with the articles sentiment. Stagecoach flourished in the cut & thrust peak deregulation era. It was very much Brian's company, a commercial beast ran by a dynamic entrepreneur, even if he is a terrible person. Stagecoach has seen jilted & stale since Souter stepped down. The upcoming quasi-regulated system on the horizon much more suits how National Express operate in the West Midlands. Extensive stable networks, close partnerships with authorities, flat, very cheap, fares. If this style is adopted into the current Stagecoach operations it could be good news for the passenger.
(26 Sep 2021, 9:30 pm)James101 wrote I agree with the articles sentiment. Stagecoach flourished in the cut & thrust peak deregulation era. It was very much Brian's company, a commercial beast ran by a dynamic entrepreneur, even if he is a terrible person. Stagecoach has seen jilted & stale since Souter stepped down. The upcoming quasi-regulated system on the horizon much more suits how National Express operate in the West Midlands. Extensive stable networks, close partnerships with authorities, flat, very cheap, fares. If this style is adopted into the current Stagecoach operations it could be good news for the passenger.

Its almost like the gold rush and the prospectors are fleeing before it gets too late.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(14 Dec 2021, 12:25 pm)Chris 1 wrote Indeed.

Stagecoach stake in Citylink; Megabus and South West Falcon all appear to have to go.

Interesting times.
They've gone. Deal was done to allow merger. CDG take all three.
(14 Dec 2021, 12:26 pm)54APhotography wrote They've gone. Deal was done to allow merger. CDG take all three.

Dumb question but what does CDG stand for?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(14 Dec 2021, 1:20 pm)Michael wrote Dumb question but what does CDG stand for?

Comfort DelGro, a Singapore based company with interests in the UK.
(14 Dec 2021, 12:25 pm)Chris 1 wrote Indeed.

Stagecoach stake in Citylink; Megabus and South West Falcon all appear to have to go. 

Interesting times.

Interesting. Not unsurprising, but one of those I thought they may have gotten away with.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Stagecoach agrees rival £595m takeover in blow to National Express merger plans: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/st...31728.html

Hamish Mackenzie, head of infrastructure at DWS, said: “As a long-term investor in essential services with a strong track record in the UK and European transport sectors, DWS Infrastructure will back Stagecoach to rapidly capitalise on the growth opportunities presented by increased public and private investment in UK bus and coach.”

Very interesting move. Asset stripping exercise ahead?
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(09 Mar 2022, 8:59 am)Adrian wrote Stagecoach agrees rival £595m takeover in blow to National Express merger plans: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/st...31728.html

Hamish Mackenzie, head of infrastructure at DWS, said: “As a long-term investor in essential services with a strong track record in the UK and European transport sectors, DWS Infrastructure will back Stagecoach to rapidly capitalise on the growth opportunities presented by increased public and private investment in UK bus and coach.”

Very interesting move. Asset stripping exercise ahead?

By their nature, investment funds are not generally interested in the long-term with their acquisitions. I’d expect Stagecoach to be sold on within 5 years, maybe with some of the more prime depot space sold in the meantime. 

I struggle to see it as good news for Stagecoach, or more accurately, their customers.
(09 Mar 2022, 11:08 am)James101 wrote By their nature, investment funds are not generally interested in the long-term with their acquisitions. I’d expect Stagecoach to be sold on within 5 years, maybe with some of the more prime depot space sold in the meantime. 

I struggle to see it as good news for Stagecoach, or more accurately, their customers.

I'd agree with that, but I'd be very surprised to see it sold on as a single entity. If they want a quick return for investors, then carving out and selling the most profitable parts of the operation off is likely the best way to achieve that.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(09 Mar 2022, 11:38 am)Adrian wrote I'd agree with that, but I'd be very surprised to see it sold on as a single entity. If they want a quick return for investors, then carving out and selling the most profitable parts of the operation off is likely the best way to achieve that.

Certainly didn't see that one coming!  

Unfortunately I agree with this.  Stagecoach were traditionally one of the leaner of the big 5, as has been commented elsewhere there's not a lot of obvious fat to trim.

(09 Mar 2022, 11:08 am)James101 wrote By their nature, investment funds are not generally interested in the long-term with their acquisitions. I’d expect Stagecoach to be sold on within 5 years, maybe with some of the more prime depot space sold in the meantime. 

Be good news for the shareholders though!
Only info I can find, is that its a German company?

Lets hope they don't run Stagecoach to the ground like Arriva
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(10 Mar 2022, 7:39 pm)Michael wrote Only info I can find, is that its a German company?

Lets hope they don't run Stagecoach to the ground like Arriva
Different type of company - apparently it's a private equity fund that's eying up/bought Stagecoach, not a larger transport company.

If anything I reckon DWS may be willing to divest parts of Stagecoach to other companies if they consider the onward disposal profitable.

So we could see for example Comfort DelGro, Go-Ahead and/or Transdev buy parts of the operation.