You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2020

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2020

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2020
Passing redcar depot today 2 streetlites facing the the gate and 1 Decker
4 whitby deckers were also there too
(02 Feb 2020, 3:53 pm)Ryland wrote Passing redcar depot today 2 streetlites facing the the gate and 1 Decker
4 whitby deckers were also there too

5 deckers? You sure?
(08 Feb 2020, 10:11 pm)Citaro5338 wrote Has 7609 left Blyth and been transferred
It is now back at redcar depot along with sister 7610 and a couple more of Whitby fleet
Seen this on Facebook 

Any ideas on whether or not the 81 is here to stay or we going to loose it
(09 Feb 2020, 2:41 pm)Ryland wrote Seen this on Facebook 

Any ideas on whether or not the 81 is here to stay or we going to loose it
It will only run between Marske and Guisborough from April.
(09 Feb 2020, 6:16 pm)S830OFT wrote What's replacing the Guisborough to Stokesley section?

Nothing
(09 Feb 2020, 7:35 pm)scanialover wrote Why? Surely there is some demand.
Obviously not enough.

The 28A will still run through Great Ayton and Stokesley. Only Newton under Rosebery will completely lose service.
RE: Service 81
(09 Feb 2020, 7:32 pm)scanialover wrote So what is going to happen to Arriva 81 services between Guisborough and Stokesley? Sure there is some demand.
As I replied in the other thread, there is obviously not enough demand.

Whenever I've seen the 81 in this section, it's absolutely dead. Not surprisingly it's coming off.
Just been talking about it on BBC Tees. Arriva reckon the change hasn't been registered yet and they're still on discussion but the council spokesman didn't sound very hopeful.
The rational behind a decision, apart from the fact that Arriva are only interested in the financial aspect, beats me. Those wishing to travel from Guisborough through to Stokesley will have to travel into Middlesbrough will the corresponding increases in both travelling time and cost. I guess, at the end of the day passenger numbers dictate?
(10 Feb 2020, 10:40 am)scanialover wrote The rational behind a decision, apart from the fact that Arriva are only interested in the financial aspect, beats me. Those wishing to travel from Guisborough through to Stokesley will have to travel into Middlesbrough will the corresponding increases in both travelling time and cost. I guess, at the end of the day passenger numbers dictate?

Of which there are very few - hence why it's being culled.
The cut also reduces the 81 PVR by one vehicle (understand the proposal is for the daytime journeys to operate a one-way loop round Hunters Hill, with the peak time journeys carrying on as now to Hutton Gate). From what I've heard round and about, Redcar's PVR is set to drop by 5 in April.
Thanks for that. Interesting that the PVR @ Redcar is to be reduced but then surely it's time to examine the demand on services 63 and 64/64a. How many times do we see these running in tandem? OK it's.difficult to operate a sustainable timetable to meet demand but surely something needs to be done.

What is service X94 that I've seen mentioned?
(10 Feb 2020, 11:00 am)scanialover wrote Thanks for that. Interesting that the PVR @ Redcar is to be reduced but then surely it's time to examine the demand on services 63 and 64/64a. How many times do we see these running in tandem? OK it's.difficult to operate a sustainable timetable to meet demand but surely something needs to be done.

What is service X94 that I've seen mentioned?
I'm pretty sure the 63 wouldn't be every 10 minutes if demand didn't exist for it. Don't forget, the operators have all of the data available at their fingertips to make this decision on.

I understand that Service 64/64A will also see a reduced frequency from April.

(10 Feb 2020, 10:40 am)scanialover wrote The rational behind a decision, apart from the fact that Arriva are only interested in the financial aspect, beats me. Those wishing to travel from Guisborough through to Stokesley will have to travel into Middlesbrough will the corresponding increases in both travelling time and cost. I guess, at the end of the day passenger numbers dictate?
There is an opportunity to change at Swans Corner, between Service 5/5A and 28A, avoiding the need to go into Middlesbrough.

As long as bus companies are private, they will only be interested in the financial side of things, they are a business. No business would last very long if they made long term losses.
Every year the timetable changes come along, the PVR of depots is reduced. Services are cut here and there, each time meaning a few more passengers are put off using buses or are forced to use other means of travel. Then they complain that roads are getting busier and bus journeys take longer - Arriva are always trying to get councils to cough up and create bus priority lanes and so on.

I know they're running a commercial business which cant afford losses, but they need to be doing more to at least maintain services if not enhance them. Cutting services too early on an evening may mean that a passenger wont travel into work in the morning by bus if he knows there's no bus to get home, so that's a passenger lost. Cutting the 81 between Gbro and Stokesley loses a few more passengers that they wont get back.

Whatever happened to a bit of imaginative thinking in order to keep a service running? Promote the 81 - use a special livery - have offers on fares - use Midibuses instead of full size vehicles - look at it the current route could be tweaked - or even go to 2 hourly for the full route to Stokesley?

As much as I agree councils and national government could do more for the industry, I think the bus companies are far too quick to blame everything on them and go for the easiest short term option of cutting services instead of making genuine effort to do what they are in control of to maintain them.
(10 Feb 2020, 4:31 pm)tvd wrote Every year the timetable changes come along, the PVR of depots is reduced.  Services are cut here and there, each time meaning a few more passengers are put off using buses or are forced to use other means of travel.  Then they complain that roads are getting busier and bus journeys take longer - Arriva are always trying to get councils to cough up and create bus priority lanes and so on.

I know they're running a commercial business which cant afford losses, but they need to be doing more to at least maintain services if not enhance them.  Cutting services too early on an evening may mean that a passenger wont travel into work in the morning by bus if he knows there's no bus to get home, so that's a passenger lost.  Cutting the 81 between Gbro and Stokesley loses a few more passengers that they wont get back.

Whatever happened to a bit of imaginative thinking in order to keep a service running?  Promote the 81 - use a special livery - have offers on fares - use Midibuses instead of full size vehicles - look at it the current route could be tweaked - or even go to 2 hourly for the full route to Stokesley? 

As much as I agree councils and national government could do more for the industry, I think the bus companies are far too quick to blame everything on them and go for the easiest short term option of cutting services instead of making genuine effort to do what they are in control of to maintain them.

Couldn't agree more. Particularly when you see operators complain and moan that the roads are too busy and it should be car drivers penalised for driving in to town and city centres. 

If there's no bus for passengers to use... Huh
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Three points. One, change at Swan's Corner to get between Guisborough and Stokesley? Are they re-routing the 28a? To my knowledge it's a bit of a walk from the 5/5a route to connect into the 28a; then a bit of a wait, no doubt.

Second. A ten minute frequency on service 63? When? Invariably these run about in pairs, occasionally threes with the subsequent gaps. Perhaps something could be done to achieve the correct frequency?

And finally. Yes I agree with what is said about diminishing bus services and Arriva are a classic example as to why!
Or even reducing the frequency of the 81 to every 2 hours to stokesley with intiimitent services to Hutton gate

(10 Feb 2020, 10:52 am)Kuyoyo wrote Of which there are very few - hence why it's being culled.
The cut also reduces the 81 PVR by one vehicle (understand the proposal is for the daytime journeys to operate a one-way loop round Hunters Hill, with the peak time journeys carrying on as now to Hutton Gate). From what I've heard round and about, Redcar's PVR is set to drop by 5 in April.
So if the pvr is set to drop by 5 which vehicles will move or be withdrawn
(10 Feb 2020, 7:35 pm)scanialover wrote Three points. One, change at Swan's Corner to get between Guisborough and Stokesley? Are they re-routing the 28a? To my knowledge it's a bit of a walk from the 5/5a route to connect into the 28a; then a bit of a wait, no doubt.

Second. A ten minute frequency on service 63? When? Invariably these run about in pairs, occasionally threes with the subsequent gaps. Perhaps something could be done to achieve the correct frequency?

And finally. Yes I agree with what is said about diminishing bus services and Arriva are a classic example as to why!
Its not much of a walk, maybe 5 minutes between the two stops at the very most, and the 5/5a are every 15 mins from Guisborough so you should never be waiting too long at Swans Corner. Not ideal but it can be done. Can't see NYCC funding a replacement.
To be honest I'm amazed the 81 has lasted this long, but most of the changes seem pretty positive in my eyes. Just not sure about chopping the 64 in Redcar. Agree about punctuality on the 63 and 64 though, and chopping them to every 12/15 won't help in that respect with same loads spread over less buses.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Thankfully I'm no longer in Guisborough and don't have to experience the idea of "connecting" through Swan's Corner. Service 63? I get the need for a 10 minute frequency that's if it is / was just that. I live in Middlesbrough these days and have lost count of the number of times you see these running in pairs, sometimes one service is packed and the other trundling along behind. I don't know what, if anything could / can be done and seeing as Arriva won't invest in radios then I guess we're stuck with it?
(10 Feb 2020, 8:18 pm)Ryland wrote So if the pvr is set to drop by 5 which vehicles will move or be withdrawn

I would imagine this will finally see off 1759 & 4516, don't know for certain what will happen but my guess is 3 Pulsar's to depart Redcar, possibly for Blyth to see off the three Commanders? Although may depend if any other cuts elsewhere occur too plus the current issue of Darlington presently having 1431 in exchange for a Solo following one burning out.

Seen this doing the rounds on Facebook [Image: 2265d81477c78acaa70217fa2c60d37d.jpg]
(11 Feb 2020, 12:30 am)Jimmi wrote I would imagine this will finally see off 1759 & 4516, don't know for certain what will happen but my guess is 3 Pulsar's to depart Redcar, possibly for Blyth to see off the three Commanders? Although may depend if any other cuts elsewhere occur too plus the current issue of Darlington presently having 1431 in exchange for a Solo following one burning out.

Seen this doing the rounds on Facebook [Image: 2265d81477c78acaa70217fa2c60d37d.jpg]

Redcar’s Pulsars are off to Stockton in exchange for their Streetlites - presumably alongside losing 1759 and 4516.
(10 Feb 2020, 9:30 pm)tyresmoke wrote Its not much of a walk, maybe 5 minutes between the two stops at the very most, and the 5/5a are every 15 mins from Guisborough so you should never be waiting too long at Swans Corner. Not ideal but it can be done. Can't see NYCC funding a replacement.
To be honest I'm amazed the 81 has lasted this long, but most of the changes seem pretty positive in my eyes. Just not sure about chopping the 64 in Redcar. Agree about punctuality on the 63 and 64 though, and chopping them to every 12/15 won't help in that respect with same loads spread over less buses.
The 63 isn't changing its frequency.

The 62 will replace the 64 route in Redcar, with the X3 picking up other parts around Redcar Lane.

Full details are not out yet but apparently X3 route is changing to go that way and X4 will be running until midnight too.

The drivers at Redcar have seen the ideas and I'm told that 62, 63, 64 all have extra time in their timetables compared to now.

The real casualty is the 81, but you can't keep running around with fresh air.