You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East March 2023 changes

RE: Go North East March 2023 changes
(28 Mar 2023, 6:04 pm)NL62WVW wrote The gauges on the newer stuff are normally quite reliable, its normally versas and the solos that were a bit dodgy. Completly agree with the nexus staff, once had a Omnidecker that would select all gears apart from reverse on the stand in Eldon Square, nexus bloke came down and asked if a few of them could push it off the stand lol. Asked control and they just laughed

You'd be surprised how accurate the fuel gauges can be on modern vehicles.

I was messing about with the Mercedes Star computer on my mother's Smart Fortwo and I'm fairly sure it tells you down to the 0.1 litre how much is in the tank.
It's fairly accurate as well. Out of curiosity, I checked it before we filled up and it was pretty much spot on what the pump at Sainsburys said we'd put in!
(28 Mar 2023, 7:38 pm)streetdeckfan wrote You'd be surprised how accurate the fuel gauges can be on modern vehicles.

I was messing about with the Mercedes Star computer on my mother's Smart Fortwo and I'm fairly sure it tells you down to the 0.1 litre how much is in the tank.
It's fairly accurate as well. Out of curiosity, I checked it before we filled up and it was pretty much spot on what the pump at Sainsburys said we'd put in!

Solos in particular are awful - sender units just stop reporting and beep at you every time it looses signal and then regains it - particularly for adblu gauges.  Now I come to think of it speedos are poor as well - causing the RIBAS to have a fit - can also affect the gear shifting. 

Mercs often were reporting low on fuel from early afternoon even though they'd last the full day.  Going back to the days of Darts & Scanias - no one new as they either never or rarely worked or were painted over.

Gauges like this are not PG9s for service vehicles so never get fixed.  The training bus did run out of fuel down the teams once when I was on an assessment one day, at least it was a nice sunny day whilst we controlled traffic around it.
Our Dennis E200s are similar. Often either full, near empty, or empty but on some if you believe the gauge, they can actually produce fuel...
307 has certainly broken the NSA's, when its bound for North Shields, it thinks its going to Newcastle, and when going to Newcastle it thinks its going to North Shields, not great if you rely on the NSA's, it wasnt driver error either
Kind Regards
Tez
I know its early days, but the 1 is a complete shambles.

It’s gone from a very reliable service to anything but - an absolute disgrace.
(29 Mar 2023, 4:55 pm)Thomas12 wrote I know its early days, but the 1 is a complete shambles.

It is with StreetLite running on it. They are slow & unreliable so can't handle the full route. No wonder there putting decekrs out but there being taken of for the DFDS/Scholars routes. They should really put the 1 as decekrs then. Maybe it wouldn't have so many problems. They have the spare London Gemini & Loops which do no warrant a decekr during the day (bar the runs in the afternoon which are duplicate anyway) each decekr has ran on time (bar the Redheugh Bridge part) yet the StreetLite are starting to feel the wrath. Knowing gne though they will cut the 1 from Metrocentre to keep StreetLite on it
(29 Mar 2023, 6:06 pm)Aaron21 wrote It is with StreetLite running on it. They are slow & unreliable so can't handle the full route. No wonder there putting decekrs out but there being taken of for the DFDS/Scholars routes. They should really put the 1 as decekrs then. Maybe it wouldn't have so many problems. They have the spare London Gemini & Loops which do no warrant a decekr during the day (bar the runs in the afternoon which are duplicate anyway) each decekr has ran on time (bar the Redheugh Bridge part) yet the StreetLite are starting to feel the wrath. Knowing gne though they will cut the 1 from Metrocentre to keep StreetLite on it
Needs to meet CAZ Compliance though
Kind Regards
Tez
(29 Mar 2023, 6:06 pm)Aaron21 wrote It is with StreetLite running on it. They are slow & unreliable so can't handle the full route. No wonder there putting decekrs out but there being taken of for the DFDS/Scholars routes. They should really put the 1 as decekrs then. Maybe it wouldn't have so many problems. They have the spare London Gemini & Loops which do no warrant a decekr during the day (bar the runs in the afternoon which are duplicate anyway) each decekr has ran on time (bar the Redheugh Bridge part) yet the StreetLite are starting to feel the wrath. Knowing gne though they will cut the 1 from Metrocentre to keep StreetLite on it

Agreed on the streetlites, they’re obviously struggling. 

Noticed a fair few have been replaced by B9s and Omnidekkas this week.
(29 Mar 2023, 6:14 pm)V514DFT wrote Needs to meet CAZ Compliance though
Loops & London Gemini are Euro6 so works out for them

(29 Mar 2023, 6:18 pm)Thomas12 wrote Agreed on the streetlites, they’re obviously struggling. 

Noticed a fair few have been replaced by B9s and Omnidekkas this week.
For thr 3 days it's been running. Cobalt, 6204 & two OmniDekka have been on it all replacing a StreetLite
(29 Mar 2023, 4:55 pm)Thomas12 wrote I know its early days, but the 1 is a complete shambles.

Anyone got spare 'Centurion' sticker vinyls kicking about for corporate liveried B9TL's haha
Could always give Redfern travel a ring and beg the DVSA for a DDA exemption

Far cry from when these beasts worked the 301 & 302 (scroll to 3:15)

https://youtu.be/H5XGF941PFI
(29 Mar 2023, 6:25 pm)Aaron21 wrote Loops & London Gemini are Euro6 so works out for them

For thr 3 days it's been running. Cobalt, 6204 & two OmniDekka have been on it all replacing a StreetLite
I know even Sunday when it started there was 1/2 corporate streetlites with the coasters. By the end there was like 4/5 and a Cobalt
See it would be better as Decekrs. But knowing the logic of Gne. They will just cut the 1 from Metrocentre & re introduced the 97 with the consett lites on there. That's the logic what will happen. Gne don't seem to think of "why don't we put the service to decekrs to see if it'll work. There is plenty kicking round
Not sure the issue is the bus type mind. There's Streetlites on the 20 and 60 with GNE and the 1, X1 and X4 with Arriva which are actually challenging routes. Is there actually any section of the 1 that's above 30mph bar Central to Gateshead Interchange.

The route is just too long, one issue - a set of roadworks or whatever and the whole route is off whack and there's no way of sorting it. Stuff like Stagecoach's 1 can get away with it as they can just drop a board and run empty to catch up and no-one will notice because of the frequency. Do that on the GNE 1 and you've got big problems.

Also anyone using the bus to go to the Metro Centre from any point North of Gateshead has way too much time, it's an complete illogical route. It needs split up again imo. There's no benefits from a passenger point of view of it being joined up.
What people haven't realised that the 1 (and other Wallsend bus services) have been serverely disrupted by the roadworks at Station Road / High Street. There is a 4 way (5 if you include the pedestrian phase) set of temporary traffic lights at the location. Station Road is closed next to the Metro which means services that terminate at the Metro Station have to navigate a further 3 sets of lights in both directions on the diversionary route adding to the delays.
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
(29 Mar 2023, 9:42 pm)Storx wrote Not sure the issue is the bus type mind. There's Streetlites on the 20 and 60 with GNE and the 1, X1 and X4 with Arriva which are actually challenging routes. Is there actually any section of the 1 that's above 30mph bar Central to Gateshead Interchange.

The route is just too long, one issue - a set of roadworks or whatever and the whole route is off whack and there's no way of sorting it. Stuff like Stagecoach's 1 can get away with it as they can just drop a board and run empty to catch up and no-one will notice because of the frequency. Do that on the GNE 1 and you've got big problems.

Also anyone using the bus to go to the Metro Centre from any point North of Gateshead has way too much time, it's an complete illogical route. It needs split up again imo. There's no benefits from a passenger point of view of it being joined up.
Tbf Streetlites have had issues with speed. However doing the 1 a couple times, thats no issue its literally stop start, stop start. Really it seems like there may be some need for an express tho I that could be seen as the 310.  

However I agree with the SCNE 1 you can just miss one out not a big deal, but when its every 15 mins/20 mins its massive, does anyone know how many 1's daily have ran NIS from any point to make up time, that means people had a 40 min wait for a bus. Even waiting 30 mins for an every 15 min bus is a bit of a joke. 

But yeah, it takes like 40 mins from Gateshead to Metrocentre, in that time, even if u had to wait 15 mins for an X66, then 10 mins on it you've saved 15 mins. 

The only advantage of getting the 97 imo is that u can get a charge when needed, same with the 96. However now you just loose battery on the buses allocated now.
Site Administrator
(29 Mar 2023, 6:25 pm)Aaron21 wrote For thr 3 days it's been running. Cobalt, 6204 & two OmniDekka have been on it all replacing a StreetLite

Percy Main are still awaiting three Streetlites from Consett, and others have been in use on the cruise ship shuttle buses.

There aren’t any other issues with the Streetlites at Percy Main and the B9s being allocated has nothing to do with the fact they allegedly cannot cope on the route. They’re perfectly fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(30 Mar 2023, 5:39 am)Dan wrote Percy Main are still awaiting three Streetlites from Consett, and others have been in use on the cruise ship shuttle buses.

There aren’t any other issues with the Streetlites at Percy Main and the B9s being allocated has nothing to do with the fact they allegedly cannot cope on the route. They’re perfectly fine.

So StreetLite are fine for a route longer than 2 hours. Yea they sound perfect & run completely fine. Can't wait to see the 1 cut from Metrocentre in a few weeks due to reliability (sarcastic comments)
(30 Mar 2023, 5:39 am)Dan wrote Percy Main are still awaiting three Streetlites from Consett, and others have been in use on the cruise ship shuttle buses.

The way that I look at it is that on the 1 the streetlites had their fair share of breakdowns, but they managed. But the 97 is quite a hard and difficult route, like some of the hills on the 97 are ridiculous. And the 17 plate streetlites are far from the best
(30 Mar 2023, 7:42 pm)nova347 wrote The way that I look at it is that on the 1 the streetlites had their fair share of breakdowns, but they managed. But the 97 is quite a hard and difficult route, like some of the hills on the 97 are ridiculous. And the 17 plate streetlites are far from the best

They're fine when they don't have emissions faults on them. Probably the best buses in the fleet at going up hills behind a healthy Versa, which also have the same constant emissions problems.
Site Administrator
(30 Mar 2023, 2:55 pm)Aaron21 wrote So StreetLite are fine for a route longer than 2 hours. Yea they sound perfect & run completely fine. Can't wait to see the 1 cut from Metrocentre in a few weeks due to reliability (sarcastic comments)

Yes, they are completely fine - definitely more reliable than the Hybrids they replaced!

The biggest issue that they have is that the Euro 6 Daimler Streetlites don’t get an opportunity to do a regen when on stop/start services. This causes faults if the engine is switched off during the regen. Riverside have the same problem on the 51/52. Depots just need to get into the habit of doing a forced regen in the depot, which clears some of the faults.

(31 Mar 2023, 4:16 am)Dan wrote Yes, they are completely fine - definitely more reliable than the Hybrids they replaced!

The biggest issue that they have is that the Euro 6 Daimler Streetlites don’t get an opportunity to do a regen when on stop/start services. This causes faults if the engine is switched off during the regen. Riverside have the same problem on the 51/52. Depots just need to get into the habit of doing a forced regen in the depot, which clears some of the faults.

Still don't get why the 1 was downgrade to StreetLites and not kept as deckers
(29 Mar 2023, 11:09 pm)Rapidsnap wrote What people haven't realised that the 1 (and other Wallsend bus services) have been serverely disrupted by the roadworks at Station Road / High Street. There is a 4 way (5 if you include the pedestrian phase) set of temporary traffic lights at the location. Station Road is closed next to the Metro which means services that terminate at the Metro Station have to navigate a further 3 sets of lights in both directions on the diversionary route adding to the delays.

That sums up the nonsense of it all.

"Sorry your bus due at Whickam is so late.  There's roadworks in Wallsend..."
(31 Mar 2023, 12:13 pm)Chris 1 wrote That sums up the nonsense of it all.

"Sorry your bus due at Whickam is so late.  There's roadworks in Wallsend..."

Is it any different from the bus in West Auckland being delayed because of roadworks in Newcastle?
(31 Mar 2023, 12:16 pm)streetdeckfan wrote Is it any different from the bus in West Auckland being delayed because of roadworks in Newcastle?

I would say so.

Newcastle - West Auckland is a natural and established route.  And one that people travel on throughout.  Metrocentre - Whitley Bay isn't, and is ran as such purely for operational convenience.
(30 Mar 2023, 2:55 pm)Aaron21 wrote So StreetLite are fine for a route longer than 2 hours. Yea they sound perfect & run completely fine. Can't wait to see the 1 cut from Metrocentre in a few weeks due to reliability (sarcastic comments)

The duration of the route makes literally zero difference to the reliability of the vehicle?

What's the difference between that and it doing 2x 1 hour journeys?
When the 20 got split into the 20 & 24, wasn't that due to reliability, that route was around 1h30 mins but due to constant delays impact the other end of the service they were split up.
imo thats why the 2/2A should be split, they are constantly delayed, they've only got 2 mins at Silksworth, 5 at Washington iirc

Whats the main allocation of the X66 atm?