You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East September 2023 changes

RE: Go North East September 2023 changes
(12 Aug 2023, 7:11 am)streetdeckfan wrote But it's just as simple as adding one more bus!

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

They can barely service their existing commitments as is…
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(13 Aug 2023, 10:00 am)Michael wrote PB0003954/1391
Cancellation GO NORTH EAST LIMITED 785 (785) Hexham Haltwhistle

Northumberland CC Contract - it is suggested that this reverts to a closed-door school contract from September.
Once again changes implemented with no thought given to implications for passengers. The 5:45am 4 from Amazon to the galleries moved a couple of minutes later for reliability. Fine no issue with that. BUT no change made to the 6:00am 50 from the galleries which is a connection multiple people make, myself included. No 8 on a Sunday so no alternative for an hour. Could that not have been moved 2 minutes later to maintain the connection given there are 3 minutes of dwell in Chester, a further 3 in Durham and another 3 in Chester on the return then more at the galleries. It does not require that much to keep to term at 6:00am on a Sunday morning.
(09 Aug 2023, 1:27 am)logidoodah wrote (1) Everyone states reasons for this but I ask everyone on this forum what does desirable mean?... I guarantee everyone will have their own views and opinions, however if I be devils advocate here and look at the dictionary it states that 'wished for as being an attractive, useful, or necessary course of action.' If I break this down has anyone been asked in any form what service they require or even want from any of the operators or even Nexus? (besides Transport NE annual survey which only hits a certain demographic).Secondly, is it useful? SNE I'd definitely say yes due to the Freeman Hsopital and Cross-City links. GNE i'd also say yes due to the unique links North to Cramlington and South to North Shields, even-though the links pre-existed the North Tyne Rockets.

(2) I think it's great both operators are stepping in with replacements, however the public had no say in where these routes are going. This was based of the premise of 5 "failing" (or failed) Arriva services 51-55. Both offerings are a nice change for the residents of Forest Hall, SNE as they have changed from the 38 - 18 - 6/7/8 - No replacement - 38 in Forest Hall (besides the 63) and GNE 81 - 17 - 42 - No replacement - 353/355. I may have gotten the services wrong but my point is since pre-covid Forest Hall/Benton has had a declining bus provision, of which both offerings combat positively.

(1) I do commend GNE for having a presence on Social Media and the press, albeit positively and negatively.

(2) That comment has no ground in my opinion as it doesn't matter what a bus says but where it goes (including the duration and frequency)

(1) That's the exact reason I give some people the time of day on here is because it is mostly quite interesting as we all share the same interest in public transport yet have a huge variety of demographics.

(2) I couldn't agree with you more...I don't think the North Tyne Rockets will be withdrawn anytime soon, I just think they won't last in this form. However I hope they do. I welcome a positive change for the bus industry however there needs to be some space for improvement including change of culture instead of doing nothing and cost cutting.

Interestingly I am moving to Forest Hall so I will try to give my findings based upon a resident. At the moment the 55 is a 30 minute Monday-Sunday service. Working at Central Station the 38 is now the ideal choice for me. If I were to have a weekly pass then it would be Stagecoach. However I feel that the 355 is the better service- faster, better quality and given my experience of the shocking Stagecoach service elsewhere an improvement. But offering Mon-Sat daytime only has limited the service already. Whilst there is always room for growth and Nexus funding can change. If it is a fight of the fittest then for me the 38 will be the strongest given it’s full day timetable.
(14 Aug 2023, 5:17 am)User2613 wrote Once again changes implemented with no thought given to implications for passengers. The 5:45am 4 from Amazon to the galleries moved a couple of minutes later for reliability. Fine no issue with that. BUT no change made to the 6:00am 50 from the galleries which is a connection multiple people make, myself included. No 8 on a Sunday so no alternative for an hour. Could that not have been moved 2 minutes later to maintain the connection given there are 3 minutes of dwell in Chester, a further 3 in Durham and another 3 in Chester on the return then more at the galleries. It does not require that much to keep to term at 6:00am on a Sunday morning.

I assume that you have told this to GNE Customer services, so that those that plan the routes are aware, not just a bunch of enthusiasts on here.
(20 Aug 2023, 2:17 am)Coastliner700 wrote Interestingly I am moving to Forest Hall so I will try to give my findings based upon a resident. At the moment the 55 is a 30 minute Monday-Sunday service. Working at Central Station the 38 is now the ideal choice for me. If I were to have a weekly pass then it would be Stagecoach. However I feel that the 355 is the better service- faster, better quality and given my experience of the shocking Stagecoach service elsewhere an improvement. But offering Mon-Sat daytime only has limited the service already. Whilst there is always room for growth and Nexus funding can change. If it is a fight of the fittest then for me the 38 will be the strongest given it’s full day timetable.

Surely it would be quicker to walk to Benton or Palmersville Metro for Central over the 55/355. The walk from Haymarket to Central is neglible over the walk to the Metro stations and the Metro is more frequent and reliable (Matthew Bank is a pain).
(20 Aug 2023, 7:41 am)busmanT wrote I assume that you have told this to GNE Customer services, so that those that plan the routes are aware , not just a bunch of enthusiasts on here.

I'd hope and assume they were more than aware of the changes and consequences for passengers. 
Even without passenger feedback, any planner or commercial member should be aware that a change of 4mins can lead wait times of an hour. 

I'd have hoped a holistic approach was taken, so that any changes and the associated impact on passengers (taking in to account all of the data they have access to) was looked at.

If it's not and they're relying on passengers to feed back about the inconvenience caused... No wonder they're crashing and burning.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(20 Aug 2023, 7:41 am)busmanT wrote I assume that you have told this to GNE Customer services, so that those that plan the routes are aware, not just a bunch of enthusiasts on here.

I'd hope that ticketing data would be used when planning changes, rather than it having to be pointed out by passengers? 

Hoping that passengers get in touch to say where they travel to shows either a pretty poor level of network understanding, or a lack of resource in checking data when planning these changes.
(20 Aug 2023, 7:48 am)Storx wrote Surely it would be quicker to walk to Benton or Palmersville Metro for Central over the 55/355. The walk from Haymarket to Central is neglible over the walk to the Metro stations and the Metro is more frequent and reliable (Matthew Bank is a pain).

That’s assuming it would be quicker. In my case the journey into the City Centre by bus takes the same time as the walk to Benton then of course you have the wait plus about 12 minutes journey on the Metro. I suppose it would depend where you live in Forest Hall if the walk plus Metro takes about the same time as the bus.
(20 Aug 2023, 2:00 pm)RMF1254 wrote That’s assuming it would be quicker. In my case the journey into the City Centre by bus takes the same time as the walk to Benton then of course you have the wait plus about 12 minutes journey on the Metro. I suppose it would depend where you live in Forest Hall if the walk plus Metro takes about the same time as the bus.

Aye no arguments about that. He said he was down by Central though and the walk from Forest Hall to Benton is probably neck on neck on the walk from Haymarket to Central in Newcastle depending where you live of course. 

Of course if you work at the top end then things are totally different ie. Civic Centre or the unis or whatever.
(20 Aug 2023, 2:47 pm)Storx wrote Aye no arguments about that. He said he was down by Central though and the walk from Forest Hall to Benton is probably neck on neck on the walk from Haymarket to Central in Newcastle depending where you live of course. 

Of course if you work at the top end then things are totally different ie. Civic Centre or the unis or whatever.

Yeah cheers guys, I am not that much of a fan of the Metro although you are probably right. With regards to using the bus however more as a welcome change over the Metro!
5412 running a 39b to Washington at present
Yet the 39b no longer go to Washington ?
Destination needs deleting
(23 Aug 2023, 12:30 am)Coastliner700 wrote Yeah cheers guys, I am not that much of a fan of the Metro although you are probably right. With regards to using the bus however more as a welcome change over the Metro!

No worries, you'll probably realise very quickly how much a chore around South Gosforth is using buses, especially in an evening. Can quite often be non stop pretty much all the way from Blue House to there on a bad day, and the 38 is no better as that has Corner House and the Freeman instead.

Not sure whether they ever sorted it, buses I use have long been diverted off it, but the end of West Farm Avenue near Four Lane Ends can be a pain aswell.

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if the 63 is quicker at times.
I love how he says "greener" when the Solos are exactly the same euro, also he sounds delighted too
(29 Aug 2023, 8:23 pm)Unber43 wrote I love how he says "greener" when the Solos are exactly the same euro, also he sounds delighted too

And the Solos didn’t have to be modified to be Euro6 either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Site Administrator
(29 Aug 2023, 8:23 pm)Unber43 wrote I love how he says "greener" when the Solos are exactly the same euro, also he sounds delighted too

I suppose it depends on what he meant by that.

A fully seated Euro 6 Volvo B9 has fewer emissions per passenger than a fully seated Optare Solo - so it would be greener.

(01 Sep 2023, 5:06 pm)Unber43 wrote https://twitter.com/Dan3942/status/16976...75743?s=20

If only it went to the main City Centre bus station for people to switch to other services when visitors come to the city.
Nexus are in charge of the route and timetable of this essentially franchised service, presumably there is a reason it does not serve the “City Centre Bus Station”.
(01 Sep 2023, 5:06 pm)Unber43 wrote https://twitter.com/Dan3942/status/16976...75743?s=20

If only it went to the main City Centre bus station for people to switch to other services when visitors come to the city.

I'm not sure why it needs to? It's a simplified version of the 700, which serves the same places and the bus station.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(01 Sep 2023, 7:09 pm)Rapidsnap wrote Not sure what the issue is, as there is plenty of alternative services between the Hospital and the Interchange instead of the 700. Even the Metro is an alternative for parts of the route.

I think it’s the reduction of the City Centre to St Peter’s service that is the main issue. Time will tell, maybe the new timetable will be sufficient. 

You’re right though the duplication of the city centre to hospital on the 700 was always a little pointless.
(01 Sep 2023, 8:42 pm)Drifter60 wrote I think it’s the reduction of the City Centre to St Peter’s service that is the main issue. Time will tell, maybe the new timetable will be sufficient. 

You’re right though the duplication of the city centre to hospital on the 700 was always a little pointless.

I'm confused as the 701 is still going to the hospital.

The 701 is:
Clanny House - University of Sunderland (City Campus) - University of Sunderland (St. Peters Campus)

Anything else is a bonus. It's not about linking the hospital.
(01 Sep 2023, 8:42 pm)Drifter60 wrote I think it’s the reduction of the City Centre to St Peter’s service that is the main issue. Time will tell, maybe the new timetable will be sufficient. 

Is there actually a reduction?  There's going to be 6 buses an hour between City Centre and St Peter's (2x 700s from Interchange and 4x 701s from City Hall). What's the current combined frequency?
(01 Sep 2023, 9:28 pm)Storx wrote I'm confused as the 701 is still going to the hospital.

The 701 is:
Clanny House - University of Sunderland (City Campus) - University of Sunderland (St. Peters Campus)

Anything else is a bonus. It's not about linking the hospital.
The 701 is staying the same route , so yes it still serves the hospital. The 700 is only operating between Park Lane and St Peter's ( Park Lane to Hospital is withdrawn)
Is the official allocation of the 307 (xx:32 ex Newcastle & xx:33 North Shields) and 353 on Sundays going to be StreetLites unless near Christmas or a match day?
Site Administrator
(03 Sep 2023, 1:36 pm)L469 YVK wrote Is the official allocation of the 307 (xx:32 ex Newcastle & xx:33 North Shields) and 353 on Sundays going to be StreetLites unless near Christmas or a match day?

The journeys which interwork with the 307 on Sundays ought to be B9s.

Streetlites only on 351 and late evening journeys on 353.

What do the people of Forest Hall have against Go North East? Today was the second time I've been in the area and overheard people moaning about GNE taking over the 55. Were GNE services unreliable there in the past? I used to use the 42A a lot which seemed fine.
GNE certainly have been very un-reliable with cancellations but Percy Main was never one of them.

Unless they could be on about the countless times theyve re-structured the network to only abandon it, to go back to it
(03 Sep 2023, 9:17 pm)Shrek wrote What do the people of Forest Hall have against Go North East? Today was the second time I've been in the area and overheard people moaning about GNE taking over the 55. Were GNE services unreliable there in the past? I used to use the 42A a lot which seemed fine.

Probably because they binned off everything last time round there and make changes every other week. 

GoNorthEast aren't a new operator to Forest Hall.

People want a reliable consistent service. Not one which one week goes to Wallsend, the next Whitley Bay, the next North Shields, the next one is gone as it's gone via Four Lane Ends, one week to the airport and so on.

GoNorthEast generally aren't liked in North Tyneside.