Menu

Pages (159)    1145 146 147159   
South Tyne Lad   11 Jun 2016, 5:41 pm
(11 Jun 2016, 5:28 pm)TEN 6083 wrote Made a trip out today as I was going to Tanfield Railway and Durham Regatta as well as wanting a ride on 9102. Parked the car at MetroCentre Coach Park this morning to save a half hour journey on the 10/10B.

09:02 6 MetroCentre Bus Station - Eldon Square Bus Station (GNE 6009)

Was hoping for a OmniDekka, but a President showed up instead. Not the most comfortable of rides but at least it was a short journey.

09:27 X30 Eldon Square Bus Station - Tanfield Railway (GNE 5239)

Got 5239 to Tanfield Railway, much more comfortable ride than the President. Got off at Tanfield Railway and got some photos of trains in the yard they have at Marley Hill shed and on Andrews House station platform. Once that was done left for the bus stop.

10:28 X30 Tanfield Railway - Stanley Bus Station (GNE 547)

Had 547 which made a nice change as I rarely travel on MPD's. Got off at Stanley Bus Station and waited for 9102 which resulted in a one and a half hour wait with it eventually coming into sight around 12:15.

12:16 16 Stanley Bus Station - Durham Bus Station (GNE 9102)

Was impressed with the comfort and the ride quality on this, nicer than the other demo (9101) that GNE have at Washington. Interior nice and bright and comfortable leather (or e-leather, not sure) seats. Got off at Durham and dashed out of the bus station onto North Road to wait for it to come out and got a photo of it.

12:58 6 Durham Bus Station - Durham, New Elvet (ANE 7519)

Decided to bus it to New Elvet as wasn't up for walking to the other side of Durham City Centre. This arrived in the form of 7519. Very impressed with these as haven't travelled in these as usually travel on GNE or Pulsars. Nice interior and comfortable seats for the short journey. Got off at New Elvet and went to the Riverbank where Durham Regatta is being held this weekend. Bought a Regatta T-Shirt and had a look at the boats racing and had a look at the classic cars on display at the far end of the riverbank. Then headed back to New Elvet to get a bus back to the bus station.

13:56 57A Durham, New Elvet - Durham Bus Station (ANE 1475)

This arrived in the form of 1475, not the best of interiors and seats on this particular vehicle, bit hard but at least it was a short ride to the bus station.

14:32 X22 Durham Bus Station - MetroCentre Bus Station (GNE 3872)

After hanging around the bus station for around half an hour 3872 showed up on route X22. Not the most comfortable as had a numb backside by the time got to MetroCentre, but the driver floored it most of the way back event though was running on time. Did stop for timing points a couple of times on the way. This bus is quite quick for its age, seems much quicker than the Streetdecks I would usually get from Durham when returning home. Got to MetroCentre and had a quick trip to Asda and went home.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

Nice review Kieron Smile
I believe I seen you boarding 7519 in Durham Bus Station, If I'm right, You had a Basketball Shirt covered by a Jacket?
Doubt you'll have recognised me, Though next time I see you i'll try and say hi.

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
TEN 6083   11 Jun 2016, 5:58 pm
(11 Jun 2016, 5:41 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote Nice review Kieron Smile
I believe I seen you boarding 7519 in Durham Bus Station, If I'm right, You had a Basketball Shirt covered by a Jacket?
Doubt you'll have recognised me, Though next time I see you i'll try and say hi.

Yes that is correct

biglugs@yahoo.com   11 Jun 2016, 6:11 pm
(11 Jun 2016, 5:28 pm)TEN 6083 wrote Made a trip out today as I was going to Tanfield Railway and Durham Regatta as well as wanting a ride on 9102. Parked the car at MetroCentre Coach Park this morning to save a half hour journey on the 10/10B.

09:02 6 MetroCentre Bus Station - Eldon Square Bus Station (GNE 6009)

Was hoping for a OmniDekka, but a President showed up instead. Not the most comfortable of rides but at least it was a short journey.

09:27 X30 Eldon Square Bus Station - Tanfield Railway (GNE 5239)

Got 5239 to Tanfield Railway, much more comfortable ride than the President. Got off at Tanfield Railway and got some photos of trains in the yard they have at Marley Hill shed and on Andrews House station platform. Once that was done left for the bus stop.

10:28 X30 Tanfield Railway - Stanley Bus Station (GNE 547)

Had 547 which made a nice change as I rarely travel on MPD's. Got off at Stanley Bus Station and waited for 9102 which resulted in a one and a half hour wait with it eventually coming into sight around 12:15.

12:16 16 Stanley Bus Station - Durham Bus Station (GNE 9102)

Was impressed with the comfort and the ride quality on this, nicer than the other demo (9101) that GNE have at Washington. Interior nice and bright and comfortable leather (or e-leather, not sure) seats. Got off at Durham and dashed out of the bus station onto North Road to wait for it to come out and got a photo of it.

12:58 6 Durham Bus Station - Durham, New Elvet (ANE 7519)

Decided to bus it to New Elvet as wasn't up for walking to the other side of Durham City Centre. This arrived in the form of 7519. Very impressed with these as haven't travelled in these as usually travel on GNE or Pulsars. Nice interior and comfortable seats for the short journey. Got off at New Elvet and went to the Riverbank where Durham Regatta is being held this weekend. Bought a Regatta T-Shirt and had a look at the boats racing and had a look at the classic cars on display at the far end of the riverbank. Then headed back to New Elvet to get a bus back to the bus station.

13:56 57A Durham, New Elvet - Durham Bus Station (ANE 1475)

This arrived in the form of 1475, not the best of interiors and seats on this particular vehicle, bit hard but at least it was a short ride to the bus station.

14:32 X22 Durham Bus Station - MetroCentre Bus Station (GNE 3872)

After hanging around the bus station for around half an hour 3872 showed up on route X22. Not the most comfortable as had a numb backside by the time got to MetroCentre, but the driver floored it most of the way back event though was running on time. Did stop for timing points a couple of times on the way. This bus is quite quick for its age, seems much quicker than the Streetdecks I would usually get from Durham when returning home. Got to MetroCentre and had a quick trip to Asda and went home.

I seen you get of 3872 whilst I was getting on 3831

Best bus ever
S813 FVK   11 Jun 2016, 6:31 pm
I couldnt have waited an hour and a half for a bus like regardless of how significant it was. Must have been incredibly boring.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
TEN 6083   11 Jun 2016, 6:57 pm
Went to the shop for some breakfast while waiting and doing some bus spotting, was with the other half as well and was editing/uploading photos from Tanfield so wasn't too boring of a wait. Was tempted to get 4903 to Durham due to a few of the Renowns being withdrawn lately to get one more ride on them just in case the rest go but saw 9102 was departing Castleside as 4903 was at Stanley so waited for it instead

Jimmi   11 Jun 2016, 6:58 pm
(11 Jun 2016, 6:31 pm)S813 FVK wrote I couldnt have waited an hour and a half for a bus like regardless of how significant it was. Must have been incredibly boring.
I could, but I would have lost my sanity by the time it arrived. Pleased you sussed out the times yesterday meaning I knew where it would be meaning I could plan where to be and when although I almost missed it in Ebchester the first time I tried to photograph it as the 16 I got from Durham was nearly 10 minutes late by the time we got to Ebchester. I'll be honest standing around in Daisy Hill for around half hour was arguably more boring than three times as long at a bus station, was kinda worth it though.
citaro5284   11 Jun 2016, 7:11 pm
(11 Jun 2016, 6:58 pm)Jimmi wrote I could, but I would have lost my sanity by the time it arrived. Pleased you sussed out the times yesterday meaning I knew where it would be meaning I could plan where to be and when although I almost missed it in Ebchester the first time I tried to photograph it as the 16 I got from Durham was nearly 10 minutes late by the time we got to Ebchester. I'll be honest standing around in Daisy Hill for around half hour was arguably more boring than three times as long at a bus station, was kinda worth it though.

Do you have any in the first place...... Big Grin
Jimmi   11 Jun 2016, 7:14 pm
(11 Jun 2016, 7:11 pm)citaro5284 wrote Do you have any in the first place...... Big Grin
Very little [emoji14]
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
S813 FVK   11 Jun 2016, 7:16 pm
(11 Jun 2016, 6:58 pm)Jimmi wrote I could, but I would have lost my sanity by the time it arrived. Pleased you sussed out the times yesterday meaning I knew where it would be meaning I could plan where to be and when although I almost missed it in Ebchester the first time I tried to photograph it as the 16 I got from Durham was nearly 10 minutes late by the time we got to Ebchester. I'll be honest standing around in Daisy Hill for around half hour was arguably more boring than three times as long at a bus station, was kinda worth it though.

Had i been in school all day yesterday then i wouldn't have been able to. I was lucky to see it to be honest, it seemed to leave Stanley at least 10 minutes late yesterday morning.
biglugs@yahoo.com   11 Jun 2016, 11:01 pm
Today was a nice day with lots of scenery.
10:03 metro 4035? Stadium of light to Haymarket
This was half empty when i boarded before full and standing at heworth.
10 : 39 44 7474 Haymarket to Morpeth bus station.
I had just missed 7511 on the x15 so took 7474 for haulage lots of thrashes and kickdowns with magnificent scenery.
12 : 15 2 1403 Morpeth bus station to Morpeth railway station.
A short hop on this i personaly enjoyed it as i dont go on many cadets.
12 :22/12:35; 2 7466 Morpeth railway station to morpeth bus station.
I hooed pcls dart would show but unfortunately didnt so hopped on 7466 on the 2.
This had a full load id hate a mpd to be on....
12:55 2 7458 morpeth to Bedlington station
This was a ok journey i was very pleased as i haven't been on since it was owned by TGM.
I only so 1768 on the 2 with other buses being 1401,3 7458,66.
13:35 x21 7501 Bedlington station to Gosforth high street.
I decided to get the x21 in hope of a bus with wifi unfortunately it didnt work but this was pressed to the max with the cooling fan.
I popped in Costa bought a hot chocolate and used the wifi.
14 :25 35 39705 Gosforth high street to haymarket.
I left missing lots of arrivas and 8339 on the q3.
Got 39705 this one always avoided me at shields.
15 :00 100 22028 Monument to metrocentre
I let 27510 go in hope of a man alx thankfully 22028 approached,this is a 03 reg so should be leaving newcastle shortley.
The revving was extremely amazing i loved this.
15 :35 6 3831 Metrocentre to Riverside depot.
I was pleased to see this come i haven't been on one for ages shame it was a short journey.
Headed back to metrocentre to get the x24.
15:55 x24 7477 metrocentre to Birtley
I hoped a lowlander showed none the less a good journey .
16:15 :21 6019. Birtley to Newcastle.
This was a nice treat i personaly loved this lots of engine movement.
17:10 metro 4009 haymarket to seaburn.
Another boring metro journey much quieter though.
Thanks for reading

Best bus ever
BusLoverMum   11 Jun 2016, 11:13 pm
Did another no repeat bus day, today, but far too tired to full communicate it!

Wil try to, before collapsing into bed. Bus numbers lacking!

11:05 5338 on 16-ishd from Durham to Stanley
12:17(?) omnicity X30 from Stanley to Newcastle Eldon Square.
Bit of lunch then unplanned catching up in Vamos! Mardi gras parade on Northumberland street (sent my fitbit haywire with the drums!) then 58 Versa from market street to Heworth
6028 at 14:17 from Heworth to Washington Galleries
Very late C&C Streetlite on supposedly 15:08 8 from Galleries to Sunderland Park Lane

Let one 54 re solar pass us on the 2o then ended up on a 51 reg solar on the 20A to sunderland.
Straight onto a 24 Branded E400 on th2 17:07 22 from Durham o the 22.

I was surprised by how smart the 58 Versa was inside. Love hte ceiling LEDs in particular and the ceiling lights and Civic seats are v smart, in combination. (bear in mind I usually hate Versas) Coped fine with the urban route.

The president, in contrast, provided an option of freeze your arse off or breath in hot rubber and oil fumes.
R852 PRG   12 Jun 2016, 4:45 pm
This weekend marked the annual Legends of Industry Gala at the Tanfield Railway, and for a change, I visited the famous heritage line yesterday, rather than spend the whole day on buses. Two visitors came in the form of ''Sir Berkeley'' and USA Tank BR No. 30065.

In steam alongside the two visitors were the three steam locomotives that they currently have within their boiler certificates; ''Sir Cecil A. Cochrane'', an 0-4-0 industrial tank that was built by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns in 1948 and spent it's working life in Tyneside, later bought for preservation in 1971 and stored at Backworth Shed in Northumberland, by this point still owned by the National Coal Board. In August of 1975, she was moved to Marley Hill Shed, the main two-road shed at Tanfield, and has seen regular use since, quite possibly the longest-serving locomotive at Tanfield in terms of how long she has been in steam and operational. Their second locomotive is No. 3 ''Twizell'', also built by Robert Stephenson & Co., but over half a century before Cochrane, in 1891. Acquired by the North of England Open Air Museum in 1972, Twizell was stored at Marley Hill Shed from purchase until 1977 when she was moved to Beamish. Her overhaul commenced here, before she was returned to Marley Hill in 1995 for it to be completed. After fifteen years, Twizell became operational again in 2010 and is regularly used alongside Cochrane, as well as No. 2; the third steam locomotive in regular use. Twenty years younger that Twizell, No. 2 was outshopped in 1911 after construction at Hawthorn Leslie at Forth Banks in Newcastle. Upon arrival at Tanfield in June 1976, No. 2 was first used in the 1980s, becoming popular with visitors due to the fact that she has no upper-half to the back of the cab, allowing those in the carriage behind her to see what is going on on the footplate. After being withdrawn in 1997, she was stored in the large 5-road shed (along with many other items of rolling stock awaiting their turn in the restoration queue or simply being stored undercover rather than in the yard), and re-entered the main shed at Marley Hill in 2009 for her overhaul to commence. She was returned to traffic in March 2013. History lesson over. 

My interest in Tanfield started at an early age. It was very common for my father and I to spend many a Sunday morning up at Tanfield, always parking the car at Andrew's House, the main station out of the four (Sunniside, Causey Arch and East Tanfield being the other three) and having a wander down to the two-road shed at Marley Hill before then having a full trip on the line. Locomotives that I recall being in steam at the time were Sir Cecil A. Cochrane, National Coal Board Green-liveried No. 49 (now undergoing overhaul in Marley Hill Shed), National Coal Board Black-liveried No. 38 (an austerity tank effectively the double of No. 49 aside from the colour, this one is now stored in the 5-road shed), and our most regular engine was Stagshaw, a unique steam engine that was first built in 1923 as a compressed steam locomotive, later turning out to be unsuccessful and then converted back to a conventional steam engine. Stagshaw is now being restored in the 5-road shed. The charm of the line, which claims to be the oldest railway in the world still operating, having dated from 1725 (although I understand a line in India outdates that) in the days of the horse and cart, has always made every visit for me enjoyable, always bringing back memories of my younger years. 

After waking up at about 08:00, later than normal for me on a Saturday these days (many people my age couldn't comprehend the idea of being up at 06:30 to catch the first X21 of the day through to Newcastle), I left my house at about 08:50, taking a leisurely walk into Chester-le-Street. My plan had been to catch either the 09:13 8 or 09:27 78 (both would have thrown up a Coast & Country Streetlite, although the 8 is a nicer route up to Stanley in my opinion), but I sighted ELC Lolyne-bodied Dennis Trident 3878 turning around at the bottom of Front Street to take up duties on the 21, in place of the usual Hybrid. After scrapping the plan of heading to Stanley first, I had an enjoyable and quiet ride through to Newcastle on 3878; still retaining it's original interior, which has sadly fallen into poor care, but I still love this one. It's tired now, with the gearbox constantly sticking when kickdown is applied, but definitely the best of the four that I have left to choose from. If 3864 isn't returned to Stanley, then I'll have five. I can only live in hope. A video of 3878 is available to view here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg4qwXCbP-8

Upon arrival in Eldon Square Bus Station, a few minutes after 10:00, I floated around for about five minutes before I saw one of the Toon Link-branded OmniCities allocated to Stanley coming in, due out at 10:15 as the X31. I boarded, and sat behind the cab at those two seats that are located in a perfect position for those who want to get a closer look at the cab detail. The Optare Versas have a similar set-up, although unlike the OmniCities, the general consensus of Versas with drivers, is that they are awful. Bouncy, awkward driving position and slow. I'd not want to spend four hours on the 34/34A with one. 5250 was my ride up to Tanfield, providing a nice journey, doing particularly well on the fast stretches between Sunniside and Tanfield. A few others alighted at Tanfield with me, obviously intent on heading to the Gala as well. After paying for a Child Rover, I met with Ken Weaver, who was there specifically for USA Tank No. 30065 (masquerading as NCB No. 35, also a USA Tank, that didn't make it into preservation, but did operate in the north east) as it was required for haulage with it being in the book as a British Railways-owned locomotive. He was with a friend, and after chatting for about five minutes or so, they departed to head to Newcastle on the next X30/X31. 

Had a gander down to Marley Hill Yard, observing Armstrong Whitworth No. 2, an early diesel shunter that was built in 1933 and saved for preservation at Tanfield in 1978, primarily used for shunting around the yard as well as covering on passenger duties, having been fitted with a vacuum for that purpose, shunting a few coal hoppers around the yard. A walk into Marley Hill Shed through the side entrance, with the usual entrance of walking through the doors that I've long been accustomed to being prohibited with some scaffolding around the front of the building; found No. 49 at the back, with No. 14 (owned by Beamish I believe, but stored at Tanfield) sandwiched next to it, and ''Gamma'' No. 20 at the front (out of active service since the late '90's I think, but once used heavily as an ambassador for the railway, being loaned to the Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway for a while in 1993), all on one road. A walk back to Andrew's House saw me board a double-headed train of Twizell and USA Tank 30065 on a Sunniside-bound service. I sat in one of the two verandah carriages, one was built by the Great Western Railway long prior to the amalgamation of all four railway companies (the LNER, GWR, SR and LMS) in 1948, and another that is almost identical by British Railways in the 1950s. The trip to Sunniside was quite nice, and I managed a rather pleasing shot of Twizell running around the USA Tank, the latter later being detached from the train, with Twizell hauling the carriages on the return journey entirely on her own.  

After alighting again at Andrew's House, I boarded the next Sunniside-bound service, in the hands of No. 2 and Cochrane, rather than carry on to East Tanfield. As I'd not travelled behind No. 2 before, with it being out of service when I visited the railway regularly when I was younger, and I'd not had a chance since it re-entered service in 2013. A ride behind a pair of steam engines is quite hard to judge, as you're in a rickety old carriage anyway, and they all travel at about the same speed on the line, so reviewing them isn't as easy as a bus, where you can pick faults with ease. Sir Berkeley, the other locomotive on-loan to Tanfield for this event, took the train back, while Cochrane and No. 2 rested on the other line at Sunniside. I arrived back at Andrew's House for the second time in the space of about an hour, and left Tanfield at this point as I'd made haulage behind all five of the locos in steam. 5240 was my horse back to Newcastle, running quite late, but with a lead-footed driver at the wheel. Quite a fast machine when put to the test. 

Castles Express-branded 6304 was in the next stand with the 13:39 X21 to Bishop Auckland. One of my driver friends at Chester-le-Street (well-known within the enthusiast community, John Westmorland, he regularly takes vehicles to rallies) had told me he was on the 14:38 X25 from Chester-le-Street to Langley Park, so I decided to join him for that. Following a chat with Gary Wheatley on Front Street, I was quite happy to see that we'd have Streetlite 5401 for this trip. When not required for cover on the Coast & Country, this red spare frequently sees allocation to just about everything. It's John's favourite single deck vehicle at present, and I think it's quite a good runner in comparison to some of the boneshakers that see use on the Coast & Country everyday. Had a smooth ride through to Langley Park, carrying about fifteen at the most, the majority alighting at Sacriston and Langley Park, before having a layover of around five minutes in the turning circle (photograph available on my Flickr). Return journey to Chester-le-Street carried almost fresh air, aside from the two or three people who boarded en-route. John then had to survive 4 hours on 34/34A with a Versa. Rather him than me. I walked home for about 16:00. 

Hope you enjoyed this review. Not entirely bus-related, but it was something different to write.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
NK53 TKT   12 Jun 2016, 7:14 pm
(12 Jun 2016, 4:45 pm)R852 PRG wrote This weekend marked the annual Legends of Industry Gala at the Tanfield Railway, and for a change, I visited the famous heritage line yesterday, rather than spend the whole day on buses. Two visitors came in the form of ''Sir Berkeley'' and USA Tank BR No. 30065.

In steam alongside the two visitors were the three steam locomotives that they currently have within their boiler certificates; ''Sir Cecil A. Cochrane'', an 0-4-0 industrial tank that was built by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns in 1948 and spent it's working life in Tyneside, later bought for preservation in 1971 and stored at Backworth Shed in Northumberland, by this point still owned by the National Coal Board. In August of 1975, she was moved to Marley Hill Shed, the main two-road shed at Tanfield, and has seen regular use since, quite possibly the longest-serving locomotive at Tanfield in terms of how long she has been in steam and operational. Their second locomotive is No. 3 ''Twizell'', also built by Robert Stephenson & Co., but over half a century before Cochrane, in 1891. Acquired by the North of England Open Air Museum in 1972, Twizell was stored at Marley Hill Shed from purchase until 1977 when she was moved to Beamish. Her overhaul commenced here, before she was returned to Marley Hill in 1995 for it to be completed. After fifteen years, Twizell became operational again in 2010 and is regularly used alongside Cochrane, as well as No. 2; the third steam locomotive in regular use. Twenty years younger that Twizell, No. 2 was outshopped in 1911 after construction at Hawthorn Leslie at Forth Banks in Newcastle. Upon arrival at Tanfield in June 1976, No. 2 was first used in the 1980s, becoming popular with visitors due to the fact that she has no upper-half to the back of the cab, allowing those in the carriage behind her to see what is going on on the footplate. After being withdrawn in 1997, she was stored in the large 5-road shed (along with many other items of rolling stock awaiting their turn in the restoration queue or simply being stored undercover rather than in the yard), and re-entered the main shed at Marley Hill in 2009 for her overhaul to commence. She was returned to traffic in March 2013. History lesson over. 

My interest in Tanfield started at an early age. It was very common for my father and I to spend many a Sunday morning up at Tanfield, always parking the car at Andrew's House, the main station out of the four (Sunniside, Causey Arch and East Tanfield being the other three) and having a wander down to the two-road shed at Marley Hill before then having a full trip on the line. Locomotives that I recall being in steam at the time were Sir Cecil A. Cochrane, National Coal Board Green-liveried No. 49 (now undergoing overhaul in Marley Hill Shed), National Coal Board Black-liveried No. 38 (an austerity tank effectively the double of No. 49 aside from the colour, this one is now stored in the 5-road shed), and our most regular engine was Stagshaw, a unique steam engine that was first built in 1923 as a compressed steam locomotive, later turning out to be unsuccessful and then converted back to a conventional steam engine. Stagshaw is now being restored in the 5-road shed. The charm of the line, which claims to be the oldest railway in the world still operating, having dated from 1725 (although I understand a line in India outdates that) in the days of the horse and cart, has always made every visit for me enjoyable, always bringing back memories of my younger years. 

After waking up at about 08:00, later than normal for me on a Saturday these days (many people my age couldn't comprehend the idea of being up at 06:30 to catch the first X21 of the day through to Newcastle), I left my house at about 08:50, taking a leisurely walk into Chester-le-Street. My plan had been to catch either the 09:13 8 or 09:27 78 (both would have thrown up a Coast & Country Streetlite, although the 8 is a nicer route up to Stanley in my opinion), but I sighted ELC Lolyne-bodied Dennis Trident 3878 turning around at the bottom of Front Street to take up duties on the 21, in place of the usual Hybrid. After scrapping the plan of heading to Stanley first, I had an enjoyable and quiet ride through to Newcastle on 3878; still retaining it's original interior, which has sadly fallen into poor care, but I still love this one. It's tired now, with the gearbox constantly sticking when kickdown is applied, but definitely the best of the four that I have left to choose from. If 3864 isn't returned to Stanley, then I'll have five. I can only live in hope. A video of 3878 is available to view here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg4qwXCbP-8

Upon arrival in Eldon Square Bus Station, a few minutes after 10:00, I floated around for about five minutes before I saw one of the Toon Link-branded OmniCities allocated to Stanley coming in, due out at 10:15 as the X31. I boarded, and sat behind the cab at those two seats that are located in a perfect position for those who want to get a closer look at the cab detail. The Optare Versas have a similar set-up, although unlike the OmniCities, the general consensus of Versas with drivers, is that they are awful. Bouncy, awkward driving position and slow. I'd not want to spend four hours on the 34/34A with one. 5250 was my ride up to Tanfield, providing a nice journey, doing particularly well on the fast stretches between Sunniside and Tanfield. A few others alighted at Tanfield with me, obviously intent on heading to the Gala as well. After paying for a Child Rover, I met with Ken Weaver, who was there specifically for USA Tank No. 30065 (masquerading as NCB No. 35, also a USA Tank, that didn't make it into preservation, but did operate in the north east) as it was required for haulage with it being in the book as a British Railways-owned locomotive. He was with a friend, and after chatting for about five minutes or so, they departed to head to Newcastle on the next X30/X31. 

Had a gander down to Marley Hill Yard, observing Armstrong Whitworth No. 2, an early diesel shunter that was built in 1933 and saved for preservation at Tanfield in 1978, primarily used for shunting around the yard as well as covering on passenger duties, having been fitted with a vacuum for that purpose, shunting a few coal hoppers around the yard. A walk into Marley Hill Shed through the side entrance, with the usual entrance of walking through the doors that I've long been accustomed to being prohibited with some scaffolding around the front of the building; found No. 49 at the back, with No. 14 (owned by Beamish I believe, but stored at Tanfield) sandwiched next to it, and ''Gamma'' No. 20 at the front (out of active service since the late '90's I think, but once used heavily as an ambassador for the railway, being loaned to the Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway for a while in 1993), all on one road. A walk back to Andrew's House saw me board a double-headed train of Twizell and USA Tank 30065 on a Sunniside-bound service. I sat in one of the two verandah carriages, one was built by the Great Western Railway long prior to the amalgamation of all four railway companies (the LNER, GWR, SR and LMS) in 1948, and another that is almost identical by British Railways in the 1950s. The trip to Sunniside was quite nice, and I managed a rather pleasing shot of Twizell running around the USA Tank, the latter later being detached from the train, with Twizell hauling the carriages on the return journey entirely on her own.  

After alighting again at Andrew's House, I boarded the next Sunniside-bound service, in the hands of No. 2 and Cochrane, rather than carry on to East Tanfield. As I'd not travelled behind No. 2 before, with it being out of service when I visited the railway regularly when I was younger, and I'd not had a chance since it re-entered service in 2013. A ride behind a pair of steam engines is quite hard to judge, as you're in a rickety old carriage anyway, and they all travel at about the same speed on the line, so reviewing them isn't as easy as a bus, where you can pick faults with ease. Sir Berkeley, the other locomotive on-loan to Tanfield for this event, took the train back, while Cochrane and No. 2 rested on the other line at Sunniside. I arrived back at Andrew's House for the second time in the space of about an hour, and left Tanfield at this point as I'd made haulage behind all five of the locos in steam. 5240 was my horse back to Newcastle, running quite late, but with a lead-footed driver at the wheel. Quite a fast machine when put to the test. 

Castles Express-branded 6304 was in the next stand with the 13:39 X21 to Bishop Auckland. One of my driver friends at Chester-le-Street (well-known within the enthusiast community, John Westmorland, he regularly takes vehicles to rallies) had told me he was on the 14:38 X25 from Chester-le-Street to Langley Park, so I decided to join him for that. Following a chat with Gary Wheatley on Front Street, I was quite happy to see that we'd have Streetlite 5401 for this trip. When not required for cover on the Coast & Country, this red spare frequently sees allocation to just about everything. It's John's favourite single deck vehicle at present, and I think it's quite a good runner in comparison to some of the boneshakers that see use on the Coast & Country everyday. Had a smooth ride through to Langley Park, carrying about fifteen at the most, the majority alighting at Sacriston and Langley Park, before having a layover of around five minutes in the turning circle (photograph available on my Flickr). Return journey to Chester-le-Street carried almost fresh air, aside from the two or three people who boarded en-route. John then had to survive 4 hours on 34/34A with a Versa. Rather him than me. I walked home for about 16:00. 

Hope you enjoyed this review. Not entirely bus-related, but it was something different to write.

I've subscribed to your youtube Cool
BusLoverMum   18 Jun 2016, 10:10 pm
We've been around the world, today!

Had an appointment to pick up some glasses for Big'un, in Durham, at 10am, so after a bit of a rush, ended up arriving at the marketplace on ANE 1600 on the 22 at about 9:30am. After doing a few things we needed to do, we still had 10 minutes to spare, so we hung around Millburngate so he could take a few pics.

His glasses turned out not to be ready, so we had to factor a return to Durham into our day. Big'un had commented that we'd never done the X12 Durham-Middlesbrough, though, so we ended up on a very full Max Pulsar, leaving Durham 10:20.

Turned out that Big'un (now noticeably bigger than me, btw) wanted to alight in Stockton, so we did. And we bumped into Marcus, just after we got off the bus! he met his photographic aim within minutes, getting a few 7s and a couple of repainted 15s. We went for a little walk, after finding a loo in Debenhams (not the best cleaned one I've ever been in) as we both needed a leg stretch.

Caught the X10 which turned up pretty mch on time at 11:43. it left late, though, after a bunch of young lads with scooters spent ages arguing about their fares. Ended up sat upstairs with the lads in front, still whining about everything and some rather foul mouthed young men behind us.

Got as far as Norton and said young men started shouting about "bus w****ers." Repeatedly. I guess they'd seen an enthusiast with a camera. Young lads in front, annoying as they were, didn't deserve it, got a load of abuse for turning around and looking.

Thoroughly bored, we jumped off at Heworth. Settled on the Q2, when it arrived. Judging by the conversation from the seats behind us, Felling, Carr Hill etc have not changed since I lived there!

Quick journey on the X1 from Gateshead into Eldon Square. Spent about an hour having a good wander around Newcastle - essential things such as wee, biscuits, cashpoint that doesn't give you a handful of twenties.... Racked up a few thousand steps on my Fitbit, while I was there.

Decided to sample the 1 to Wrekker. Stood outside the Odeon, trying not to get annoyed by the rattly scrolling ad. One eventually turned up - running late and terminating at Gateshead! Onmicity was an omnicity. No idea if it was a good or bad one because it never got a chance to show off.

Finally jumped on another Q2! Enjoyed the ride up Memory lane, AKA Dryden Road and Kells Lane. Stood in Wrekker hoping I didn't get recognised or mugged. Never have liked the place. An X1 arrived sharpish, though and we were in HLS by about 3:30-ish. Had to snatch a pic of the "improvements" at the Galleries, though. Linked to in the What Has Amused You Today thread. Big Grin

Ended up on a 20A to Durham. All seem to be streetlites, now the last few have arrived. The NS definitely says "Graneries"! Google seems to think that that ewneek spelling of the word is correct, though!

Arrived in Durham around 4:15 and waited over 20 minutes for glasses. I'm trying to (sensibly) lose the tyre I'm carrying, lately, so passing Bell's twice was torture. Wanted to save the calories for the wine I'm now enjoying! Went to wait at the North road roundabout and his battery died. Fellow proper entusiast there - half decent camera and a massive notbook full of fleet numbers and crossings out! Ended up on one of the E400s on the 22 at 5:07 - arrived home a little early, mind. Big'un was slightly rattled by a cute baby girl who dared to take only ONE of her shoes off!

Still thing that Arriva should make the 22/24 interworking a permanent thing, tbh. They're both 3 hour round trips that always have a problem en route.
Attached Files
.png
Capture.PNG (Size 167.51 KB Downloads 13)
biglugs@yahoo.com   18 Jun 2016, 10:39 pm
Today had a good day out but not a long one.
10 : 50 4 34605 Near Thompson road to Sunderland john street.
I was thrilled to have 34605 as its my favourite bus at sunderland.
Proved a nice journey i spotted 4925 on the 700 i was so Suprised at that.
11 : 30 northern 142015 Sunderland to metrocentre
I met my friend and we planned to get this to metrocentre it rattled like mad .
12 : 18 x88 6032 Metrocentre to Washington Galleries.
After a circular tour of metrocentre we poped out with the intent of catching a bus to newcastle, but my friend seen the x88 and couldn't resist a ride along the route
Unfortunately 6032 was allocated this stalks me alot so wasn't happy it was allocated.
13 : 03 37 Yj64dy? Washington to East herrington
We were going to het get the x1 but we fancied a ride upon the 37 route i hoaped the e200 was allocated but it was a solo.
The ride was nice it proved quite successful.
13 : 22 x35 5209 East herrington to park lane
5209 was first so we got upon it was just a short ride so wasn't that good.
14 : 04 33 560 near park lane to the docks to Fawcett street
I took note of all the 33s and they were using 559 , 560 , 562 all ex magic roundabouts.
560 is a personal favourite as it hasnt been refurbished.
15 :19 9 5157 Park lane to fullwell grange
I took notes of buses in Sunderland city centre and noted 5248 , 6031 on the 9 i hoped that 5249 wouldnt be my ride,thankfully 5157 was allocated a perfect opportunity for a last ride.
I did enjoy the day today rather good i hope to do something like this again soon.
Thanks for reading

Best bus ever
Jimmi   18 Jun 2016, 11:13 pm
Just a few pieces from today's outing.

For once all three of the ex demonstrator EcoCitys were out on the 21/X21 but in typical fashion I got 4811 with it's WiFi that doesn't work. I got this as far as Peterlee Bus Station, ugh!

Next I decided to head to Dalton Park on the 22, was hoping for a Pulsar or E400 but of course it was a StreetLite, this example being 1597 which has a very annoying shaking emergency door, seriously when we were sat at the traffic lights just round from Peterlee Bus Station just about every passenger on-board turned round and looked at the shaking emergency door, see its not just us who aren't impressed with the StreetLite's! Was so glad to be off.

Next stop was Sunderland with me catching the 22, mercifully I was spared the horror of another StreetLite with one of the two E400's appearing with me unusually opting to sit at the back downstairs next to the emergency exit door with a young lad sat at the opposite side.

Next plan was to catch a photo of the Compass Community Transport service 99 with me choosing to snap it near the Royal Hospital, I caught new corporate liveried StreetLite 5438 on the 2A to the Royal Hospital then after getting the photo I got a Stagecoach Hybrid back into the City Centre.

Walked over to Stagecoach's Wheatsheaf depot to photograph the Kinetic's which has recently migrated North from Yorkshire and then I headed towards the Stadium of Light to photograph See It Do It Sunderland liveried 5307 on the X36.

Then got the 56 to Park Lane then had a quick wander around the City Centre before catching a 20 back to Durham where I just missed the 7 which annoyingly since the timetable changes I can't just jump straight on a bus like I used to be able to, what happens now is I arrive at destination, see the next bus pulling out, miss the bus then have to wait 15+ minutes for another, it's really annoying! [emoji34]

Final bus of the day was a Sapphire Pulsar on the 7, this journey was supposed to leave at 16:12 but we actually left at 16:20 for some reason, not totally sure why but there was some pointing at the Prince Bishops Streetlite on the opposite stand.

Not the best day out I am afraid to say, was hoping to stay out longer but I ended up in a not so good mood which put a negative spin on the day. Hopefully my next North East outing will go better.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
BusLoverMum   19 Jun 2016, 9:02 am
The rattles are my only issue with the streetlites. The pulsar we had on the x12 yesterday was no better. You could actually see the windows shaking.
Andreos1   19 Jun 2016, 12:18 pm
(18 Jun 2016, 10:10 pm)BusLoverMum wrote We've been around the world, today!

Had an appointment to pick up some glasses for Big'un, in Durham, at 10am, so after a bit of a rush, ended up arriving at the marketplace on ANE 1600 on the 22 at about 9:30am. After doing a few things we needed to do, we still had 10 minutes to spare, so we hung around Millburngate so he could take a few pics.

His glasses turned out not to be ready, so we had to factor a return to Durham into our day. Big'un had commented that we'd never done the X12 Durham-Middlesbrough, though, so we ended up on a very full Max Pulsar, leaving Durham 10:20.

Turned out that Big'un (now noticeably bigger than me, btw) wanted to alight in Stockton, so we did. And we bumped into Marcus, just after we got off the bus! he met his photographic aim within minutes, getting a few 7s and a couple of repainted 15s. We went for a little walk, after finding a loo in Debenhams (not the best cleaned one I've ever been in) as we both needed a leg stretch.

Caught the X10 which turned up pretty mch on time at 11:43. it left late, though, after a bunch of young lads with scooters spent ages arguing about their fares. Ended up sat upstairs with the lads in front, still whining about everything and some rather foul mouthed young men behind us.

Got as far as Norton and said young men started shouting about "bus w****ers." Repeatedly. I guess they'd seen an enthusiast with a camera. Young lads in front, annoying as they were, didn't deserve it, got a load of abuse for turning around and looking.

Thoroughly bored, we jumped off at Heworth. Settled on the Q2, when it arrived. Judging by the conversation from the seats behind us, Felling, Carr Hill etc have not changed since I lived there!

Quick journey on the X1 from Gateshead into Eldon Square. Spent about an hour having a good wander around Newcastle - essential things such as wee, biscuits, cashpoint that doesn't give you a handful of twenties.... Racked up a few thousand steps on my Fitbit, while I was there.

Decided to sample the 1 to Wrekker. Stood outside the Odeon, trying not to get annoyed by the rattly scrolling ad. One eventually turned up - running late and terminating at Gateshead! Onmicity was an omnicity. No idea if it was a good or bad one because it never got a chance to show off.

Finally jumped on another Q2! Enjoyed the ride up Memory lane, AKA Dryden Road and Kells Lane. Stood in Wrekker hoping I didn't get recognised or mugged. Never have liked the place. An X1 arrived sharpish, though and we were in HLS by about 3:30-ish. Had to snatch a pic of the "improvements" at the Galleries, though. Linked to in the What Has Amused You Today thread. Big Grin

Ended up on a 20A to Durham. All seem to be streetlites, now the last few have arrived. The NS definitely says "Graneries"! Google seems to think that that ewneek spelling of the word is correct, though!

Arrived in Durham around 4:15 and waited over 20 minutes for glasses. I'm trying to (sensibly) lose the tyre I'm carrying, lately, so passing Bell's twice was torture. Wanted to save the calories for the wine I'm now enjoying! Went to wait at the North road roundabout and his battery died. Fellow proper entusiast there - half decent camera and a massive notbook full of fleet numbers and crossings out! Ended up on one of the E400s on the 22 at 5:07 - arrived home a little early, mind. Big'un was slightly rattled by a cute baby girl who dared to take only ONE of her shoes off!

Still thing that Arriva should make the 22/24 interworking a permanent thing, tbh. They're both 3 hour round trips that always have a problem en route.

Looks like they have spelled it wrong too.

The street itself has the correct spelling fortunately.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Dan   19 Jun 2016, 3:20 pm
(19 Jun 2016, 12:18 pm)Andreos1 wrote Looks like they have spelled it wrong too.

The street itself has the correct spelling fortunately.

Because the NAPTAN information was incorrect, it is also incorrect on the Next Stop Announcements for services 4 and 20A/X20 (this information is used for the stop lists, which is in turn what we usually get recorded, after some 'cleansing' where names are changed to better reflect what they are referred to by locals etc).

I've just corrected the spelling within the programme - thanks for letting me know. I'm not sure when the next update will be pushed out onto the buses, but we need to do an update on the Streetlites for a hiccup on the 20s heading to Durham around Houghton-le-Spring.
R852 PRG   19 Jun 2016, 7:56 pm
While the general consensus of today's rally at Howlands Park & Ride seems to be mixed, I quite enjoyed myself. 

Haulage for the ride to the rally site came in the form of Stanley's 3814 (S814 FVK), the eldest of the eight Volvo Olympians that are still in use with Go North East. The driver, Ben Stoves, who is based at Chester-le-Street, brought it down from Stanley depot via the A693, picking me up on Front Street, then the A167 through to Durham and onwards to Howlands from there. I was eager to ride 3814, as it was still required for haulage prior to today, but also due to the reports of it being just as fast as 3831. The fact that it hit 59mph on the fastest stretches of the A167 speaks for itself, will be such a shame when the Olympians go. Still going strong at eighteen years of age.

Upon arrival at Howlands, after a thoroughly enjoyable ride through on 3814, we were directed to park up in the upper parking bays. While the organisation last year was dire, this year, things seemed to be far better, with the buses being used on shuttle runs parked in one area and the static display vehicles in another. What confused me at the time that we parked up was that the front of the bus was facing into a row of bushes, how the hell are people meant to get photographs if the front of the bus isn't fully visible? While Ben went off with indiGo 654, which was brought from Peterlee along with younger sister 674 from Percy Main, for a shuttle run, I stayed on 3814 until the Northern National Restoration Group arrived with 4710 and 4855. Following a busy weekend on the 4th and 5th of June, 4710 was only to be used as a static display today, with 4855 being the vehicle selected to do any shuttle runs.

Floated around for a while, conversing with Adrian, Dan and Jimmi for a few minutes before they boarded the Strathtay for a shuttle to Durham, and making a trip down to the other parking area for photographs of the static displays, noting that Arriva had brought 7438 to the rally, which was a nice touch given that the Lowlanders are slowly being withdrawn. Shortly returned to the other parking bays for a photograph of 3814 and 4855 side-by-side, both displaying route details for the Durham-Langley Park services. I caught a shuttle back to Durham, operated by Dennis Dash K715 PCN, before heading for a meal. I returned to North Road at about 13:50, meeting with Ken Weaver and catching the Alder Valley open-top Bristol VR back to the rally site. Both the Dart and the VR were pleasant rides. 

The next move was YFY 4M, a fully original Leyland National Mk1, still fitted with a Leyland 510 engine and driven with semi-automatic transmission, which was being piloted by Ian and Craig. While any ride on a National is an enjoyable experience, some are better than others, as with most buses, and YFY 4M doesn't compare to the likes of 4708 and 4710 in terms of speed, although the clatter of the original engine is a nice change to the Volvo/Voith combination on the two aforementioned FTN-W Nationals. Upon return to the rally site, a ride on A-Line Coaches' Optare Excel KUI 6575 was undertaken, with photo-stops at Durham Railway Station as well as North Road. 

Finally, I travelled back in 3814 again, making several stops on the way back for photographs at a few different locations, with appropriate destination blinds displayed as per the location. Three of them can be viewed on my Flickr. Having travelled to and from the event in 3814, I think it may have stolen the spot as the best Olympian for me, in place of 3831. Will be sad to see it go, but at least I managed to spend a significant amount of time with it today. My only real disappointment was missing 4855's shuttle run, I would have liked to see her with a full loading again. Hats off to the NEBPT for making Howlands less of a shambles this year in terms of organisation.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
S813 FVK   19 Jun 2016, 8:04 pm
Good to see that you finally managed to grab a ride on 3814! Certainly a fine machine compared to what it used to be like.
Andreos1   21 Jun 2016, 8:18 pm
I have mentioned in the past, that my job gives me the opportunity to sample public transport in areas I may not normally get to unless I take leave.

Recently,  I got the opportunity to travel around the Northern fringes of Oxfordshire, in to the Cotswolds and in to Gloucestershire.

My main goal, was to get some rail miles under my belt (on track I hadn't used) and to get on the Swanbrook 853. I had seen this a few years ago on my first visit to the Witney area and was determined to get some sort of go.
So, after a little bit of digging, I manged to get hold of a Cotswolds One Day Discoverer.
It covers a huge patch and enables unlimited travel on bus and rail over the course of the day.
It is priced at £10.35 and is fantastic value.

Starting off by paying for a return in to Oxford on Thames Travels X40 (which was great value too!), I arrived in to Oxford and made my way to the station, picking a GWR 180 headed for Great Malvern. I hadn't used a GWR Class 180 and it was clear to see the internal differences between their stock and GC.
The free WiFi didn't work.

I arrived in to Moreton on Marsh, having travelled through some lovely countryside and seen the train call at stations that harked back to the days of steam.

Having checked out bus times in this busy working, market town. I waited for a Pulhams Coaches 801. This was due to terminate in Cheltenham, but I didn't fancy sitting on one bus for that sort of trip.
A smart MCW EVO B7 turned up and took a decent load on its journey south. Apart from myself and locals, tourists from various continents boarded. Several disembarked at Stow on the Wold, replaced by similar numbers. There were a couple of stops between major settlements.
I continued to Bourton on the Water, which although pretty, was nothing more than a tourist attraction. Dom Jolly wasn't there either (I was hoping his alter ego vicar character would be pushing people off bridges).
After wandering around, I realised the 90 min frequency that the 801 has wasn't frequent enough. Fortunately the weather was good.

I walked to the bus stop and waited for the next 801. It eventually arrived approx 15mins late and was full of college students. We went on our way, with a standing load and still had people standing when I disembarked in Northleach.
This B7 struggled on hills, although the load may have had some impact.
I saw some other vehicles in the Pulham fleet whilst in Northleach, with a Centro working a local service and an unidentifiable decker on college work, passing through the village.

Northleach was another chocolate box village, although it was very quiet in comparison to the previous two villages/towns I had seen.

This 853 was the last eastbound service of the day and I was keen to get it. Otherwise I would have been stuck! The time I had set aside worked a treat, with the late running 801 giving me 20 mins leeway.

I boarded the 853 (a lovely looking Irizar) and settled in as we re-joined the main road. Unfortunately traffic in Witney and on the approaches to Oxford, meant I didn't get to experience any speed.

We terminated in Oxford and I made my way across the city to pick up the next X39/40 south.
Imagine my delight to see an MCV Merc turn up. The perfect opportunity to compare the two MCV's.
To put it in a nutshell... Pulhams rattled far less, but the Merc engine seemed to pull a lot more.

A long day, with lots of exploring, track and stock ticked off and another patch of the country shaded in.
Attached Files
.pdf
Cotswolds Discoverer.pdf (Size 3.54 MB Downloads 28)

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Jimmi   22 Jun 2016, 8:24 pm
Can't be bothered doing a full review and I forgot to note some buses and times, so here is a few points from the day.

This morning I started the day by getting the train from Newton Aycliffe to Bishop Auckland with Pacer 142020 providing me with this journey. I then caught Weardale Solo GO03WMS upto Stanhope where I then caught the Weardale X21 to the MetroCentre with Greg In Weardale appearing for the first few minutes of my journey, was quite a nice journey, especially the Stanhope - Crook section of the route.

Next I headed over to Newcastle where for a change of scenery, I caught Nexus service 84.

After an expensive lunch from Greggs who have put their prices up again, I caught Nexus service 33 to Regent Centre operated by Kingsley's, was hoping for the SPD but I got the Cadet and sure enough what was the other offering on the 33 today? Yep, the SPD!!!

Then caught the Sapphire X22 with 7502 providing the haulage to Bedlington, amazingly the plug sockets worked although the WiFi wasn't so great and the destination panel was taped down with white tape. Amazingly this one actually had some performance unlike some of the 57 reg examples.

Then I caught the 19 to Cramlington with 4980 operating this journey, not been on a Volvo B7RLE in a while so this was a nice change, annoyingly I saw an IndiGo on the run an hour behind which would have been a good odd working to photograph. In Cramlington I had some prats in a flat bed van shout at me as I was taking photographs. Was pleased to be leaving Cramlington although I was disappointed that my journey to Killingworth was MAX base liveried Pulsar 1408, I like Pulsars but I was hoping for something else, although at least I could use the USB charging points to charge my phone.

In Killingworth I was approached by a community support officer asking as to why I was taking photographs, so I had to explain the hobby, thankfully he was happy with my explanation then left me to continue with my snapping. I was going to get a bus to Whitley Bay but it was 10 minutes late, it was another Pulsar and a load of school kids, so I rejected it and ended up on the 54 with OmniCity 4661 providing me with a journey to North Shields which was boiling and thanks to roadworks, a painfully long journey!

In North Shields I decided to head to Burger King for some tea, I then hoped and prayed for a double decker on the 17:22 9 to Sunderland and sure enough 3888 turned up (guessing this bus must come off the 434/448), I took a front seat upstairs to get a good view of the Tyne Tunnel, just wished the seats were a bit less worn down.

Arrived in Sunderland just in time to catch the X21/21 home to Newton Aycliffe with 4814 being my chariot for my final journey of the day which pleased me as 4814 has WiFi and unlike the WiFi on 4811 which I nearly always get on the 21/X21 it actually works! Thought about getting the 5A home but couldn't be bothered waiting, so I decided not to be lazy and walk home.

Thanks for reading.
NK53 TKT   22 Jun 2016, 8:58 pm
(22 Jun 2016, 8:24 pm)Jimmi wrote Can't be bothered doing a full review and I forgot to note some buses and times, so here is a few points from the day.

This morning I started the day by getting the train from Newton Aycliffe to Bishop Auckland with Pacer 142020 providing me with this journey. I then caught Weardale Solo GO03WMS upto Stanhope where I then caught the Weardale X21 to the MetroCentre with Greg In Weardale appearing for the first few minutes of my journey, was quite a nice journey, especially the Stanhope - Crook section of the route.

Next I headed over to Newcastle where for a change of scenery, I caught Nexus service 84.

After an expensive lunch from Greggs who have put their prices up again, I caught Nexus service 33 to Regent Centre operated by Kingsley's, was hoping for the SPD but I got the Cadet and sure enough what was the other offering on the 33 today? Yep, the SPD!!!

Then caught the Sapphire X22 with 7502 providing the haulage to Bedlington, amazingly the plug sockets worked although the WiFi wasn't so great and the destination panel was taped down with white tape. Amazingly this one actually had some performance unlike some of the 57 reg examples.

Then I caught the 19 to Cramlington with 4980 operating this journey, not been on a Volvo B7RLE in a while so this was a nice change, annoyingly I saw an IndiGo on the run an hour behind which would have been a good odd working to photograph. In Cramlington I had some prats in a flat bed van shout at me as I was taking photographs. Was pleased to be leaving Cramlington although I was disappointed that my journey to Killingworth was MAX base liveried Pulsar 1408, I like Pulsars but I was hoping for something else, although at least I could use the USB charging points to charge my phone.

In Killingworth I was approached by a community support officer asking as to why I was taking photographs, so I had to explain the hobby, thankfully he was happy with my explanation then left me to continue with my snapping. I was going to get a bus to Whitley Bay but it was 10 minutes late, it was another Pulsar and a load of school kids, so I rejected it and ended up on the 54 with OmniCity 4661 providing me with a journey to North Shields which was boiling and thanks to roadworks, a painfully long journey!

In North Shields I decided to head to Burger King for some tea, I then hoped and prayed for a double decker on the 17:22 9 to Sunderland and sure enough 3888 turned up (guessing this bus must come off the 434/448), I took a front seat upstairs to get a good view of the Tyne Tunnel, just wished the seats were a bit less worn down.

Arrived in Sunderland just in time to catch the X21/21 home to Newton Aycliffe with 4814 being my chariot for my final journey of the day which pleased me as 4814 has WiFi and unlike the WiFi on 4811 which I nearly always get on the 21/X21 it actually works! Thought about getting the 5A home but couldn't be bothered waiting, so I decided not to be lazy and walk home.

Thanks for reading.

I saw you on 4661 at about 15:26 next to Killingworth baths, I had just got off 19676 on the X63
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Jimmi   22 Jun 2016, 9:05 pm
(22 Jun 2016, 8:58 pm)NK53 TKT wrote I saw you on 4661 at about 15:26 next to Killingworth baths, I had just got off 19676 on the X63
Oh right. I kinda wished I got on the ALX300 I could have caught to North Shields instead of 4661 even though there is nothing wrong with it but would have preferred a ALX300, pleased I managed to dodge the two StreetLite's that I saw.
NK53 TKT   22 Jun 2016, 9:07 pm
(22 Jun 2016, 9:05 pm)Jimmi wrote Oh right. I kinda wished I got on the ALX300 I could have caught instead of 4661 even though there is nothing wrong with it but would have preferred a ALX300, pleased I managed to dodge the two StreetLite's that I saw.

I like the AlXs a lot, 4661 is the worst omnicity with seats that are destroyed, so to answer my question, were on that bus?
Jimmi   22 Jun 2016, 9:11 pm
(22 Jun 2016, 9:07 pm)NK53 TKT wrote I like the AlXs a lot, 4661 is the worst omnicity with seats that are destroyed, so to answer my question, were on that bus?

I love the ALX's which is why I was disappointed that I didn't get on one today, may have to try and ride them in the next few months. I was on 4661 from Killingworth Bus Station to North Shields Town Centre and I was sat next to the emergency exit door, I was wearing a red and navy T-shirt.
PO51WNF   22 Jun 2016, 9:14 pm
(21 Jun 2016, 8:18 pm)Andreos1 wrote I have mentioned in the past, that my job gives me the opportunity to sample public transport in areas I may not normally get to unless I take leave.

Recently,  I got the opportunity to travel around the Northern fringes of Oxfordshire, in to the Cotswolds and in to Gloucestershire.

My main goal, was to get some rail miles under my belt (on track I hadn't used) and to get on the Swanbrook 853. I had seen this a few years ago on my first visit to the Witney area and was determined to get some sort of go.
So, after a little bit of digging, I manged to get hold of a Cotswolds One Day Discoverer.
It covers a huge patch and enables unlimited travel on bus and rail over the course of the day.
It is priced at £10.35 and is fantastic value.

Starting off by paying for a return in to Oxford on Thames Travels X40 (which was great value too!), I arrived in to Oxford and made my way to the station, picking a GWR 180 headed for Great Malvern. I hadn't used a GWR Class 180 and it was clear to see the internal differences between their stock and GC.
The free WiFi didn't work.

I arrived in to Moreton on Marsh, having travelled through some lovely countryside and seen the train call at stations that harked back to the days of steam.

Having checked out bus times in this busy working, market town. I waited for a Pulhams Coaches 801. This was due to terminate in Cheltenham, but I didn't fancy sitting on one bus for that sort of trip.
A smart MCW EVO B7 turned up and took a decent load on its journey south. Apart from myself and locals, tourists from various continents boarded. Several disembarked at Stow on the Wold, replaced by similar numbers. There were a couple of stops between major settlements.
I continued to Bourton on the Water, which although pretty, was nothing more than a tourist attraction. Dom Jolly wasn't there either (I was hoping his alter ego vicar character would be pushing people off bridges).
After wandering around, I realised the 90 min frequency that the 801 has wasn't frequent enough. Fortunately the weather was good.

I walked to the bus stop and waited for the next 801. It eventually arrived approx 15mins late and was full of college students. We went on our way, with a standing load and still had people standing when I disembarked in Northleach.
This B7 struggled on hills, although the load may have had some impact.
I saw some other vehicles in the Pulham fleet whilst in Northleach, with a Centro working a local service and an unidentifiable decker on college work, passing through the village.

Northleach was another chocolate box village, although it was very quiet in comparison to the previous two villages/towns I had seen.

This 853 was the last eastbound service of the day and I was keen to get it. Otherwise I would have been stuck! The time I had set aside worked a treat, with the late running 801 giving me 20 mins leeway.

I boarded the 853 (a lovely looking Irizar) and settled in as we re-joined the main road. Unfortunately traffic in Witney and on the approaches to Oxford, meant I didn't get to experience any speed.

We terminated in Oxford and I made my way across the city to pick up the next X39/40 south.
Imagine my delight to see an MCV Merc turn up. The perfect opportunity to compare the two MCV's.
To put it in a nutshell... Pulhams rattled far less, but the Merc engine seemed to pull a lot more.

A long day, with lots of exploring, track and stock ticked off and another patch of the country shaded in.

Great review. I've been meaning to do the Cotswolds Discoverer for ages now, as I live relatively locally. It is a lovely part of the country and the rolling hills of the Cotswolds are beautiful
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
NK53 TKT   22 Jun 2016, 9:17 pm
(22 Jun 2016, 9:11 pm)Jimmi wrote I love the ALX's which is why I was disappointed that I didn't get on one today, may have to try and ride them in the next few months. I was on 4661 from Killingworth Bus Station to North Shields Town Centre and I was sat next to the emergency exit door, I was wearing a red and navy T-shirt.

Yes I saw you, I probably looked a bit sweaty in my school uniform having just done PE, ran about 0.2 miles and then I cooked on the front of the top deck of 19676.

If you want an ALX300 be careful because there are 4 pulsar runs which are not specified certain journeys. The 15:00 Newcastle-Cramlington 52 and the 14:30ish Cramlington-Newcastle runs are for me the most common for ALXs.

Just be thankful that the omnicity turned up as opposed to 1419 though Tongue
Jimmi   22 Jun 2016, 9:27 pm
(22 Jun 2016, 9:17 pm)NK53 TKT wrote Yes I saw you, I probably looked a bit sweaty in my school uniform having just done PE, ran about 0.2 miles and then I cooked on the front of the top deck of 19676.

If you want an ALX300 be careful because there are 4 pulsar runs which are not specified certain journeys. The 15:00 Newcastle-Cramlington 52 and the 14:30ish Cramlington-Newcastle runs are for me the most common for ALXs.

Just be thankful that the omnicity turned up as opposed to 1419 though [emoji14]

Oh right, would have been difficult for me to recognise you considering I haven't seen you before and it would have been tricky to pick you out of a crowd with all the other school kids about at the time.

Think the easiest way for me to catch a ALX300 would be just to stand around Haymarket until one goes out, that would also cover odd allocations as I've had one on the 43 before, saw one arrive in Haymarket as the X16 a few weeks back but it didn't go back out, which is a shame as it would have been awesome getting a thrashing on that to Morpeth. Would be a dream to get one on the 85/685.
Pages (159)    1145 146 147159