Rate Thread
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
|
Go North East : Upcoming Service Changes
12 Mar 2022, 6:12 pm,
RE: Go North East : Upcoming Service Changes
(12 Mar 2022, 4:53 pm)Omega54 wrote For the washington thing, It would be best on Wessington Way, so they have access to the 1231 and A19.However it goes to the Staff Shuttle's for Sunderland would be a massive pain around rush hour. But I don't know how many drivers start at 5pm.

Not sure about the morning rush hour. Also for Artic Buses, there's no service where they could be used except to my knowledge the 56/58/X66.

Artic Buses were stipulated for the Park & Rides once they are up and running.
12 Mar 2022, 6:14 pm,
(12 Mar 2022, 6:12 pm)Malarkey wrote Artic Buses were stipulated for the Park & Rides once they are up and running.
Did I miss something, what Park & Rides?
12 Mar 2022, 8:28 pm,
(12 Mar 2022, 6:12 pm)Malarkey wrote Artic Buses were stipulated for the Park & Rides once they are up and running.

Is this related to the BSIP?     

I would imagine nothing is written in stone, and that changes could be made.

Articulated buses weren’t very successful the first time they were ran by GNE.
13 Mar 2022, 6:05 am,
Artic buses are bad for the environment wether they they are electric hybrid or not

Bus stop capacity bus station capacity eg difficult in most bus stations

And secondly they take 2.5 times of space on the road which if I remember rightly why Ken livingstone and Boris got rid of them in London due to length etc

It was worked out that a double decker bus was more efficient and effective

Only benefit to having a bendy bus is if you use it on a route with low bridges where a double decker couldn't be used but we have little issue of that on "core" routes in the North East
13 Mar 2022, 6:24 am,
(13 Mar 2022, 6:05 am)DaveFromUpNorth wrote Artic buses are bad for the environment wether they they are electric hybrid or not

Bus stop capacity bus station capacity eg difficult in most bus stations

And secondly they take 2.5 times of space on the road which if I remember rightly why Ken livingstone and Boris got rid of them in London due to length etc

It was worked out that a double decker bus was more efficient and effective

Only benefit to having a bendy bus is if you use it on a route with low bridges where a double decker couldn't be used but we have little issue of that on "core" routes in the North East
I'd argue that the main benefits of a bendy bus are they're more accessible as there's no stairs to deal with, and they're quicker to empty as there can be an extra door in the back

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
13 Mar 2022, 7:10 am,
(13 Mar 2022, 6:24 am)streetdeckfan wrote I'd argue that the main benefits of a bendy bus are they're more accessible as there's no stairs to deal with, and they're quicker to empty as there can be an extra door in the back

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

The biggest problem with a bendy bus and a big reason their not used is they have massive ticket avoidance as people just sneak on the back door where the driver can't see / won't do anything. It was an issue on the 58 at times when I was on and a massive problem in London.
13 Mar 2022, 7:45 am,
(13 Mar 2022, 7:10 am)Storx wrote The biggest problem with a bendy bus and a big reason their not used is they have massive ticket avoidance as people just sneak on the back door where the driver can't see / won't do anything. It was an issue on the 58 at times when I was on and a massive problem in London.

Nope.

The biggest reason why they were unsuccessful is because they were averaging around 5 miles per gallon in fuel costs making them uneconomical to run when compared with other vehicle types.

Your rationale for London doesn't really hold much water either as most vehicles are dual-door thus making it more susceptible to fare evaders. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it's unlikely a massive problem as you claim.
13 Mar 2022, 9:23 am,
(13 Mar 2022, 7:45 am)MurdnunoC wrote Nope.

The biggest reason why they were unsuccessful is because they were averaging around 5 miles per gallon in fuel costs making them uneconomical to run when compared with other vehicle types.

Your rationale for London doesn't really hold much water either as most vehicles are dual-door thus making it more susceptible to fare evaders. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it's unlikely a massive problem as you claim.

It was quite a big problem down there, reported that the avoidance was nearly double on a bendy bus vs a conventional decker down there

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2006/may/....transport

That was more a London perspective rather than up here though. They're just awful things anywhere, I'm not sure how true the artic reference is anyway I'm not aware of it being said anywhere recently.
13 Mar 2022, 12:41 pm,
(13 Mar 2022, 9:23 am)Storx wrote It was quite a big problem down there, reported that the avoidance was nearly double on a bendy bus vs a conventional decker down there

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2006/may/....transport

That was more a London perspective rather than up here though. They're just awful things anywhere, I'm not sure how true the artic reference is anyway I'm not aware of it being said anywhere recently.

Fare evasion might have gone up by about 2.5k per bus on average, but that must have been expected when the switch from AEC Routemasters to articulated buses also coincided with losing the two-person operation. Arguably that average increase in fare evasion is a drop in the ocean of what it would have been to employ conductors for each bus.

As MurdnunoC has said, the fuel consumption on them was shocking and is likely a major reason why they only lasted 5 minutes up here.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
13 Mar 2022, 2:34 pm,
(12 Mar 2022, 8:28 pm)Bazza wrote Is this related to the BSIP?     

I would imagine nothing is written in stone, and that changes could be made.

Articulated buses weren’t very successful the first time they were ran by GNE.
Documented on Page 130 of the BSIP Final Document, information attached below.  

.jpg   Park & Ride.JPG (Size 101.07 KB / Downloads 41)
13 Mar 2022, 5:08 pm,
(13 Mar 2022, 2:34 pm)Malarkey wrote Documented on Page 130 of the BSIP Final Document, information attached below.  

Some posters seem to think that because it’s written down it can’t or won’t be changed. 

Seeing that it’s unlikely that BSIP will go ahead in its entirety (if at all) it’s obvious that anything in that final proposal document is not set in stone
13 Mar 2022, 6:46 pm,
(13 Mar 2022, 5:08 pm)Bazza wrote Some posters seem to think that because it’s written down it can’t or won’t be changed. 

Seeing that it’s unlikely that BSIP will go ahead in its entirety (if at all) it’s obvious that anything in that final proposal document is not set in stone

I suppose that goes for everything that is written down. Do you propose that we don't discuss anything, because at some point it can be changed?

It's in the BSIP document, so it's a discussion point. Just as whether or not it goes ahead is.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
13 Mar 2022, 10:21 pm,
(13 Mar 2022, 6:46 pm)Adrian wrote I suppose that goes for everything that is written down. Do you propose that we don't discuss anything, because at some point it can be changed?

It's in the BSIP document, so it's a discussion point. Just as whether or not it goes ahead is.

Of course I don’t propose that.   I’m just pointing out that things can change. Therefore I’m actually opening up the discussion rather than closing it down.
14 Mar 2022, 12:48 pm,
https://twitter.com/fullcirclebrew/statu...IZbMdv6qVw&s=19

Businesses are getting behind the campaign to reinstate the Q3 between St Peters and Wallsend.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
14 Mar 2022, 2:41 pm,
(14 Mar 2022, 12:48 pm)Andreos1 wrote https://twitter.com/fullcirclebrew/statu...IZbMdv6qVw&s=19

Businesses are getting behind the campaign to reinstate the Q3 between St Peters and Wallsend.
I do need to ask though. Who in the right mind thought that getting the 12 anywhere on the Q3 route is a better replacement 

The Q3 crosses the 12 route once and that's in Newcastle near Blackett Street. I'm sure GNE&Nexus got confused with the 18. The 18 stops in St Peters Basin alongside the Q3 yet the 18 goes nowhere near Wallsend

Anyone who uses the Q3 route between Wallsend & St Peters Basin (don't know where the 12 joins it I know it does somewhere) but surely Nexus or Go North East could have thought this part through

I could understand if the 18 got extended to Wallsend Metro as a replacement but that seems not to be the case
14 Mar 2022, 2:46 pm,
(14 Mar 2022, 12:48 pm)Andreos1 wrote https://twitter.com/fullcirclebrew/statu...IZbMdv6qVw&s=19

the Wallsend runs of the 12 could've been renumbered 12A and run Byker-Dalton Street-St Michael's Road-Albion Row-Walker Road-Basin-Walker Road-back onto 12 route to Walker/Wallsend - then you have the full lost route covered + more frequent links to Byker (for a place already in Byker it has a pretty shocking service to the centre)

the businesses in the basin won't just be hiring people from the Gosforth and toon end of the Q3, there'll be people from Wallsend who now face a 15 minute walk to their nearest 12 stop.
14 Mar 2022, 4:29 pm,
Maybe NEXUS could advise folk to/from St Peters to use the 18 and change, they do fund that one and don't even mention it on the Nexus consultation page !
14 Mar 2022, 5:22 pm,
[quote pid="273106" dateline="1646834194"]

Where was the Murton depot at exactly? I wasn’t around in the 80s!
[/quote]

Grasmere Terrace, SR7 9TF (grid reference NZ395468) - closed Feb 1990
14 Mar 2022, 9:57 pm,
(08 Mar 2022, 9:56 pm)Omega54 wrote Yes it was, it was moved to the 265, from the 65 full sized buses (regularly using double deckers) at every 60 mins, same with the 65. 

Also I believe they're contracted
(08 Mar 2022, 9:26 pm)F114TML wrote Am I correct in thinking it was a CLS route before it became the 265?

Actually, I've been having a look at the timetable (this is from a 2010 image of the GNE website but goodness knows how long it'd been in place by then) and it seems a bit odd.
[Image: unknown.png]
Please correct me if I'm looking at this horribly wrong, but it looks to me that both buses on weekdays start at Seaham, but end at opposite ends of the route, and the low floor buses also take over at opposite ends (presumably running off other routes). Weekends they seem to start and end towards the Seaham end (I'd be surprised if those 2315 journeys from Seaham carted round much more than a driver and some fresh air).
This is all implying to me it was a Deptford route, not a CLS one.
14 Mar 2022, 10:21 pm,
(14 Mar 2022, 9:57 pm)F114TML wrote Actually, I've been having a look at the timetable (this is from a 2010 image of the GNE website but goodness knows how long it'd been in place by then) and it seems a bit odd.
[Image: unknown.png]
Please correct me if I'm looking at this horribly wrong, but it looks to me that both buses on weekdays start at Seaham, but end at opposite ends of the route, and the low floor buses also take over at opposite ends (presumably running off other routes). Weekends they seem to start and end towards the Seaham end (I'd be surprised if those 2315 journeys from Seaham carted round much more than a driver and some fresh air).
This is all implying to me it was a Deptford route, not a CLS one.

The most interesting part of that timetable to me is the bit about the clocks being fitted at the front of all GNE buses!

They should definitely bring them back