Rate Thread
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
|
Go North East: Major Service Changes July 2022
13 Jun 2022, 11:29 am,
RE: Go North East: Major Service Changes July 2022
Nexus rescue package for bus services in Gateshead, South Tyneside and Sunderland - https://www.nexus.org.uk/consultation/it...sunderland
13 Jun 2022, 11:29 am,
Nexus rescue package for bus services in Gateshead, South Tyneside and Sunderland
Go North East has announced plans to cut some services it operates in Gateshead, South Tyneside and Sunderland, due to take effect from 24 July 2022. This is because passenger numbers have fallen since the start of the pandemic and additional Government subsidy to cover the company’s financial losses is due to end in the autumn.

The cuts will have a significant impact on links local people currently enjoy to shops and community amenities, to places of work and to town and city centres.

In response Nexus, using funding from local councils, has put together a rescue package to stave off the worst effects of the cuts. We are redirecting our current funding to a recast pattern of routes and timetables which maintain the most important community links.

Below you will find a list of changes Go North East has said it will make in Gateshead, South Tyneside and Sunderland, and the immediate responses Nexus is proposing to reduce the impact of these.

https://www.nexus.org.uk/consultation/it...QQmcdAMPMc
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
13 Jun 2022, 11:50 am,
Some of these routes (the TBs for example) are crying out for DRT services.

Birtley doesn't get a link to Washington at all - its nearest major shopping centre (unless you connect at CLS or Wrekenton) and Portmeads and Vigo (ironically an area with lots of new bulld housing and developments) loses its commuter link to Newcastle.

No direct link to hospitals for Birtley either - ironically easier to get to RVI and Durham Hospital than it is to get to the QE..
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
13 Jun 2022, 11:50 am,
(13 Jun 2022, 11:29 am)Thomas12 wrote Nexus rescue package for bus services in Gateshead, South Tyneside and Sunderland - https://www.nexus.org.uk/consultation/it...sunderland
Wow. 

It's amazing to see how much impact these changes are having on neighbourhoods across the region and how the taxpayer is having to step in and help people in those areas.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
13 Jun 2022, 11:56 am,
(13 Jun 2022, 11:50 am)Ambassador wrote Some of these routes (the TBs for example) are crying out for DRT services.

Birtley doesn't get a link to Washington at all - its nearest major shopping centre (unless you connect at CLS or Wrekenton) and Portmeads and Vigo (ironically an area with lots of new bulld housing and developments) loses its commuter link to Newcastle.

No direct link to hospitals for Birtley either - ironically easier to get to RVI and Durham Hospital than it is to get to the QE..

I got the impression from reading the changes that there should still be a link between Birtley and Washington/QE.

'Go North East will no longer operate service 25, with the section between Newcastle, Harlow Green and Eighton Banks replaced by an extended service 1. This will operate hourly. The rest of the route will not be replaced. Nexus will step in to provide a new service 81/82. This will maintain and provide links lost from commercial withdrawals of service 28 between Gateshead – Birtley, service 25 between Gateshead – Mount Pleasant – Portmeads – Portobello – Barley Mow, and service 82 between Birtley – Portmeads – Portobello – Barley Mow – Washington Galleries.'
13 Jun 2022, 12:02 pm,
So are GNE operating any of these new services. Because putting the 37/73/TBXX is great, but there are no connections to those routes, no day tickets...
13 Jun 2022, 12:11 pm,
(13 Jun 2022, 12:02 pm)Unber43 wrote So are GNE operating any of these new services. Because putting the 37/73/TBXX is great, but there are no connections to those routes, no day tickets...
Nexus are stuck between a rock and hard place imo.
Do they essentially prop up an organisation unable/unwilling to make things work on a commercial basis and are unable to adapt OR do they think of passengers and their ongoing needs as far as connections and the types of tickets they need?

If I was in charge, I'd tell GNE to do one, bar them from any tenders relating to the routes they've cancelled and redesign the Network One ticketing offer so that the majority of passengers don't lose out following on from these changes.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
13 Jun 2022, 12:35 pm,
Really not surprised the 73 is being axed, its always empty.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
13 Jun 2022, 12:36 pm,
(13 Jun 2022, 11:50 am)Ambassador wrote Some of these routes (the TBs for example) are crying out for DRT services.

It looks as though some parts of Birtley will have better access to both of these places than they have in several years.
13 Jun 2022, 12:38 pm,
So are Riverside going to take on the evening & Sunday X30/X72 using StreetLites (interworking with the 6 & 12) given that Nexus are stepping in to support some of these journeys?

I don't see the point using fuel hungry double deckers when a StreetLite in 99% of cases would be more than adequate.
13 Jun 2022, 12:40 pm,
(13 Jun 2022, 12:11 pm)Andreos1 wrote Nexus are stuck between a rock and hard place imo.
Do they essentially prop up an organisation unable/unwilling to make things work on a commercial basis and are unable to adapt OR do they think of passengers and their ongoing needs as far as connections and the types of tickets they need?

If I was in charge, I'd tell GNE to do one, bar them from any tenders relating to the routes they've cancelled and redesign the Network One ticketing offer so that the majority of passengers don't lose out following on from these changes.
Honestly, I would give them to GNE.

Routes by GCT, are just down to fail, cos there are no connection,

Oh you want to go to Newcastle, before you could go either From Birtley to Washington to Newcastle, or 82, Birtley 21, and you could do that for maybe £4-5, on GCT, I could see i trip being £2.50

If GNE doesn't run it, any comerical value it may have will go
13 Jun 2022, 12:41 pm,
(13 Jun 2022, 12:35 pm)Michael wrote Really not surprised the 73 is being axed, its always empty.

Yeah, it seems to duplicate the 8 for most of the route.
13 Jun 2022, 12:42 pm,
Bustimes have now updated the VOSA section... https://bustimes.org/licences/PB0003954

Spotted this on the 39:
Extended once per hour to Houghton le Spring. Service 39A revised to omit Nelson Street. Once per hour operates as service 39B via Tunstall Bank Estate and extended to Washington.

35: Revised to omit Rainton Bridge and Heworth. Some journeys operate a one-way loop in Boldon.

47: All journeys operate as service 47, via Bridgehill instead of Medomsley Edge, and from Consett extend to Shotley Bridge Hospital. Now operates non-stop between Metrocentre and Newcastle.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
13 Jun 2022, 12:43 pm,
My big takeaway from this is not one operator has spotted a glaring gap and taken on any of the work commercially. I think that tells the story!
13 Jun 2022, 12:49 pm,
(13 Jun 2022, 12:11 pm)Andreos1 wrote Nexus are stuck between a rock and hard place imo.

100% this. I would rather pay for a day rover at nearly double the price of a GNE day ticket than have GNE run the service at the taxpayers expense!
13 Jun 2022, 12:51 pm,
(10 Jun 2022, 11:23 pm)Thomas12 wrote As a complete contrast to the massive amounts of cuts happening on the 24th July, one of the drivers on the 1 said today that the Q3 is going back to Wallsend from the the 24th July.

Seems quite a strange thing to happen considering it was only cut in March, so unsure if it is true.

Looks like it is indeed true: 

https://www.vehicle-operator-licensing.s...ls/595976/
13 Jun 2022, 12:53 pm,
(13 Jun 2022, 12:51 pm)Thomas12 wrote Looks like it is indeed true: 

https://www.vehicle-operator-licensing.s...ls/595976/

Q3 being replaced with "QuayCity A" and "QuayCity B" I assume?
13 Jun 2022, 12:57 pm,
(13 Jun 2022, 12:49 pm)Rob44 wrote 100% this. I would rather pay for a day rover at nearly double the price of a GNE day ticket than have GNE run the service at the taxpayers expense!

I'd imagine you'd be the only one. Most customers want the best service at the lowest cost.

Anyone relying on onward travel outside of the Tyne and Wear boundaries would be limited to the Network One All Zones Plus option, which is £34 quid a week - no 4-weekly, monthly or annual options available. That'd be a 40% increase on GNE's All Zones ticket.

It's becoming crucial now that we have some sort of unified fares and ticketing network, but until that happens, ticket acceptance should be part of the tender for the benefit of customers that would otherwise be impacted.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
13 Jun 2022, 1:02 pm,
(13 Jun 2022, 12:57 pm)Adrian wrote I'd imagine you'd be the only one. Most customers want the best service at the lowest cost.

Anyone relying on onward travel outside of the Tyne and Wear boundaries would be limited to the Network One All Zones Plus option, which is £34 quid a week - no 4-weekly, monthly or annual options available. That'd be a 40% increase on GNE's All Zones ticket.

It's becoming crucial now that we have some sort of unified fares and ticketing network, but until that happens, ticket acceptance should be part of the tender for the benefit of customers that would otherwise be impacted.

The problem is, the new 81/82 isnt shown on VOSA so theres no guarantee it will be a GNE service from july, meaning those passengers might see an increase in fares.
Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
13 Jun 2022, 1:04 pm,
(13 Jun 2022, 1:02 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote The problem is, the new 81/82 isnt shown on VOSA so theres no guarantee it will be a GNE service from july, meaning those passengers might see an increase in fares.

There's no guarantee it won't be either, but yes I agree and there's the reason why fare acceptance should be in place.

In the past Nexus have arranged this for some services, e.g. the 82/83 evening services when Arriva ran them, or the early morning 83A service that GCT still run.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook