Menu

Pages (41)    132 33 3441   
Andreos1   24 Nov 2013, 11:50 am
(24 Nov 2013, 11:17 am)gtomlinson wrote Big Grin

This happened last year and the speed limit was entirely ignored.

Let's just hope an x66 bendy bus doesn't decide to re-enact the closing scene from the Italian Job then! Big Grin

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1   24 Nov 2013, 12:37 pm
(24 Nov 2013, 12:20 pm)Liam wrote If only there was an actual diversion. Instead, walkers and cyclists come up to a metal fence stopping their route along the pathway, so they've made their own route across the grass and onto the road. Nothing has been arranged to: tell people about a set diversion, protect people walking along the road, and no signs to tell buses of a reduced speed limit

Hopefully something can be sorted soon!

Michael   24 Nov 2013, 12:41 pm
first time iv'e had a ride on the Streetlite today on the 42.. have to say i like the Versa better.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Davey Bowyer   24 Nov 2013, 1:19 pm
A better buzzfare system would be this:
Zone 1 = T&W including 309 to Blyth and 17 to Cramlington
Zone 2 = South East Northumberland
Zone 3= East Durham (Peterlee, Darlton Park e.t.c)
Zone 4 = Central Durham (CLS, Durham, Stanley, Consett e.t.c)
Zone 5 = West and South Durham (Bishop Auckland, Spennymoor, Lancaster e.t.c)
Zone 6 = Teesside
Zone 7 = Tynedale

Prices would be:
1 Zone = £4.50
2 Zone = £6.00
3 Zone = £7.50
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Tom   24 Nov 2013, 1:24 pm
Does anyone know how long I've got to get the green Versas on the 88/88A?
Dan   24 Nov 2013, 1:55 pm
(24 Nov 2013, 1:24 pm)Tom wrote Does anyone know how long I've got to get the green Versas on the 88/88A?

One is being repainted per week.
Michael   24 Nov 2013, 2:06 pm
Has all the Citylink Bendies being withdrawn yet?, since all the Versa's are in Service

Deptford seem to be using less and less MPD's iv'e only seen 1 in the last couple of weeks =D

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael   24 Nov 2013, 2:36 pm
(24 Nov 2013, 2:30 pm)Liam wrote 4966 is on the X66 today. It was also on yesterday alongside 6030, so I would take it that all the Citylink Mercs are now off.

Cheer's hopefully i was hoping GNE kept a few for the X66 for over Christmas.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
CatsFast101   24 Nov 2013, 2:36 pm
(24 Nov 2013, 2:30 pm)Liam wrote 4966 is on the X66 today. It was also on yesterday alongside 6030, so I would take it that all the Citylink Mercs are now off.

I'd of thought they'd keep 1 maybe 2 for X66 cover duties, easing some pressure on the Gateshead Depot, as them bendies do fill up. Also I thought there was discussion the other week that confirmed deckers couldn't go on the X66 yet 6030 saw use?
Tom   24 Nov 2013, 2:38 pm
(24 Nov 2013, 2:06 pm)Michael wrote Has all the Citylink Bendies being withdrawn yet?, since all the Versa's are in Service

Deptford seem to be using less and less MPD's iv'e only seen 1 in the last couple of weeks =D

544 and 547 were on the 39 along with 8232 yesterday, no idea where 8306/7/9 were!
CatsFast101   24 Nov 2013, 2:41 pm
(24 Nov 2013, 2:38 pm)Tom wrote 544 and 547 were on the 39 along with 8232 yesterday, no idea where 8306/7/9 were!

8308 was off route as you reported, wasn't 8307 off for a repaint? As for 8309/8306 I have no idea, although 8306 was at the scene of the accident at Ryhope not sure if it is something to do with that?
Michael   24 Nov 2013, 2:41 pm
(24 Nov 2013, 2:38 pm)Tom wrote 544 and 547 were on the 39 along with 8232 yesterday, no idea where 8306/7/9 were!

Ah,thought they wouldn't last long NOT being used on the 39, not sure where 8306/7/9 is, they might be getting branded.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Andreos1   24 Nov 2013, 2:42 pm
(24 Nov 2013, 2:36 pm)CatsFast101 wrote I'd of thought they'd keep 1 maybe 2 for X66 cover duties, easing some pressure on the Gateshead Depot, as them bendies do fill up. Also I thought there was discussion the other week that confirmed deckers couldn't go on the X66 yet 6030 saw use?

Was 6030 using Askew Road or did it go along the quayside?

If I remember right, someone said it was to do with the Metro bridge and the height limits along Centrelink that meant a decker couldn't go that way.

Andreos1   24 Nov 2013, 2:44 pm
(24 Nov 2013, 2:36 pm)CatsFast101 wrote I'd of thought they'd keep 1 maybe 2 for X66 cover duties, easing some pressure on the Gateshead Depot, as them bendies do fill up. Also I thought there was discussion the other week that confirmed deckers couldn't go on the X66 yet 6030 saw use?

There were two Versa's on the scene in Ryhope looking at the photos when reading about the poor lad.
Obviously the one involved in the rtc and another one behind - which was left for whatever reason.

Michael   24 Nov 2013, 2:48 pm
(24 Nov 2013, 2:41 pm)CatsFast101 wrote 8308 was off route as you reported, wasn't 8307 off for a repaint? As for 8309/8306 I have no idea, although 8306 was at the scene of the accident at Ryhope not sure if it is something to do with that?

Think the Versa involved in the accident was 8326, although i'm not sure.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
CatsFast101   24 Nov 2013, 2:48 pm
(24 Nov 2013, 2:44 pm)andreos1 wrote There were two Versa's on the scene in Ryhope looking at the photos when reading about the poor lad.
Obviously the one involved in the rtc and another one behind - which was left for whatever reason.

Yeah it was 8326 SimpliCity 42 which I do believe was involved in the actually RTC and Purple ex-Drifter 8306 was also at the scene as you say behind it. Not sure why 8306 was left there but that maybe why it wasn't out yesterday.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Tom   24 Nov 2013, 2:52 pm
(24 Nov 2013, 2:41 pm)CatsFast101 wrote 8308 was off route as you reported, wasn't 8307 off for a repaint? As for 8309/8306 I have no idea, although 8306 was at the scene of the accident at Ryhope not sure if it is something to do with that?

Ah right - I knew 8308 was off-route. Allocations at Deptford were all-over the place, 4925 on the 35, while 4946 was on the X36!
Andreos1   24 Nov 2013, 2:52 pm
(24 Nov 2013, 2:48 pm)CatsFast101 wrote Yeah it was 8326 SimpliCity 42 which I do believe was involved in the actually RTC and Purple ex-Drifter 8306 was also at the scene as you say behind it. Not sure why 8306 was left there but that maybe why it wasn't out yesterday.

Without knowing the in's and outs - were they running in pairs and there may be potential cctv evidence, not only on the vehicle involved, but the one behind?
I noticed all cars and other vehicles had been moved from the scene.

To be honest though, there could be a number of reasons.

Tom   24 Nov 2013, 3:28 pm
I was travelling around on the X3/X36 yesterday, and realized the X3 shouldn't be withdrawn at all. The X3 came into Newcastle with a reasonable load, and left with me and about 10 passengers. Then a few people got on at Gateshead/Heworth. Then there was a few people that got on at Boldon ASDA, but after there the bus had a full standing load. There was quite a few fare payers too! However, it did leave Park Lane with only 1 passenger.

On the other hand, the X36 was fairly quiet. I boarded at Park Lane and there was only 4 or 5 other passenger on, and no-one got on at Fawcett Street. However loads got on around Southwick/Downhill, but mainly for local journeys. Then it was only me on from Heworth to Gateshead.
cbma06   24 Nov 2013, 3:52 pm
(24 Nov 2013, 3:28 pm)Tom wrote I was travelling around on the X3/X36 yesterday, and realized the X3 shouldn't be withdrawn at all. The X3 came into Newcastle with a reasonable load, and left with me and about 10 passengers. Then a few people got on at Gateshead/Heworth. Then there was a few people that got on at Boldon ASDA, but after there the bus had a full standing load. There was quite a few fare payers too! However, it did leave Park Lane with only 1 passenger.

On the other hand, the X36 was fairly quiet. I boarded at Park Lane and there was only 4 or 5 other passenger on, and no-one got on at Fawcett Street. However loads got on around Southwick/Downhill, but mainly for local journeys. Then it was only me on from Heworth to Gateshead.

If the X3 got busy between Boldon Asda and Park Lane Interchange, then these passengers could of easily boarded the service 9 between Boldon Asda and Park Lane Interchange.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
CatsFast101   24 Nov 2013, 3:57 pm
(24 Nov 2013, 3:28 pm)Tom wrote I was travelling around on the X3/X36 yesterday, and realized the X3 shouldn't be withdrawn at all. The X3 came into Newcastle with a reasonable load, and left with me and about 10 passengers. Then a few people got on at Gateshead/Heworth. Then there was a few people that got on at Boldon ASDA, but after there the bus had a full standing load. There was quite a few fare payers too! However, it did leave Park Lane with only 1 passenger.

Well I think we've discussed this before that its just a bit of marketing and cleaver wording that the X36 has 'Proved Popular with passengers' it hasn't been as popular as the X3 never mind more popular. The idea of increasing the X36 is all about killing two birds with one stone;
A) Maintain the local links around Witherwack/Downhill to Sunderland City Centre
B) Passengers wanting a Sunderland-Newcastle Express.
Also it creates a USP for the local passengers of connections to Newcastle for Christmas Shopping, Heworth Metro & Boldon Asda which they'll hope will compete against Stagecoach.

It also can help GNE's Buzzfare sales those in Fulwell & East Boldon will be forced to buy a single to Boldon Asda/Sunderland Interchange and then a single to Heworth/Gateshead/Newcastle and the cheaper option than two Singles will likely be a Purple & Red Buzzfare assuming they are returning.

Meanwhile the changes to the 9 mean they have frequent single service along Jarrow-Boldon-Fulwell-Sunderland, also those who travel on the 26 to Jarrow from Sunderland North will have to go via Sunderland Interchange or Boldon, which again could push up Buzzfare sales.
Adrian   24 Nov 2013, 8:45 pm
(24 Nov 2013, 11:15 am)Michael wrote Never seen park lane so quiet... even for a sunday, its normally quite busy

Should have seen it last night. Not a soul in sight. Sunderland isn't what it once was.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Malarkey   24 Nov 2013, 8:54 pm
(24 Nov 2013, 3:57 pm)CatsFast101 wrote Well I think we've discussed this before that its just a bit of marketing and cleaver wording that the X36 has 'Proved Popular with passengers' it hasn't been as popular as the X3 never mind more popular. The idea of increasing the X36 is all about killing two birds with one stone;
A) Maintain the local links around Witherwack/Downhill to Sunderland City Centre
B) Passengers wanting a Sunderland-Newcastle Express.
Also it creates a USP for the local passengers of connections to Newcastle for Christmas Shopping, Heworth Metro & Boldon Asda which they'll hope will compete against Stagecoach.

It also can help GNE's Buzzfare sales those in Fulwell & East Boldon will be forced to buy a single to Boldon Asda/Sunderland Interchange and then a single to Heworth/Gateshead/Newcastle and the cheaper option than two Singles will likely be a Purple & Red Buzzfare assuming they are returning.

Meanwhile the changes to the 9 mean they have frequent single service along Jarrow-Boldon-Fulwell-Sunderland, also those who travel on the 26 to Jarrow from Sunderland North will have to go via Sunderland Interchange or Boldon, which again could push up Buzzfare sales.

I got the X36 from Sunderland to Heworth on Friday and I was the only one on it leaving Park Lane till it got to Boldon Asda where 4 people got on, then at Heworth everyone got off leaving it to run empty to Gateshead and possibly into Newcastle as I doubt anyone would of got on at Gateshead.

Wish GNE would see the Light at the end of the Tunnel and realise the X3/X36 don't get used as much as they should, and then go back to having an Xpress Service to Newcastle via Washington where it'll actually get used and make money in the process.
citaro5284   24 Nov 2013, 8:57 pm
(24 Nov 2013, 8:54 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote Wish GNE would see the Light at the end of the Tunnel and realise the X3/X36 don't get used as much as they should, and then go back to having an Xpress Service to Newcastle via Washington where it'll actually get used and make money in the process.

How many buses do you want through Washington Tongue
Would it not just take passengers off the X1?
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Malarkey   24 Nov 2013, 9:10 pm
(24 Nov 2013, 8:57 pm)citaro5284 wrote How many buses do you want through Washington Tongue
Would it not just take passengers off the X1?

Yeah it would but obviously I would reduce the Frequency of the 2A/2C and X1 to Every 15 Minutes and perhaps curtail the 8 at Washington Galleries and have timed so it connects with "Sunderland/Newcastle Xpress" to cover for the loss of Service.
Dan   24 Nov 2013, 9:27 pm
(24 Nov 2013, 9:10 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote Yeah it would but obviously I would reduce the Frequency of the 2A/2C and X1 to Every 15 Minutes and perhaps curtail the 8 at Washington Galleries and have timed so it connects with "Sunderland/Newcastle Xpress" to cover for the loss of Service.

Wouldn't you get complaints from those passengers who use "Silver Arrows" services 2A/2C and "Lime" service 8? This proposed 'express' service would only call limited stop. The similar service which previously operated followed "Lime" service 8's route, so why should the Silver Arrows suffer?
Malarkey   24 Nov 2013, 9:41 pm
Really there wouldn't be a change to the 2A/2C as the proposed Xpress would fill the void Every 30 Minutes, so that there would still be an Every 10 Minute Service between Sunderland and Washington, but would provide a Faster Link with it being a Limited Stopping Service and as a Silver Arrows passenger myself I don't think the 2A/2C really need to be Every 20 Minutes each.

As for the 8 it follows the 2A/2C to Pennywell before going onto the Motorway to Waterview Park and onto the Galleries. Would it not be better to have it follow the 73 Route into Sunderland after Waterview Park, So then you could have 2 Xpress Services operating to Washington on both sides of the River like the old X2/X4 used to.
Dan   24 Nov 2013, 9:48 pm
(24 Nov 2013, 9:41 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote Really there wouldn't be a change to the 2A/2C as the proposed Xpress would fill the void Every 30 Minutes, so that there would still be an Every 10 Minute Service between Sunderland and Washington, but would provide a Faster Link with it being a Limited Stopping Service and as a Silver Arrows passenger myself I don't think the 2A/2C really need to be Every 20 Minutes each.

As for the 8 it follows the 2A/2C to Pennywell before going onto the Motorway to Waterview Park and onto the Galleries. Would it not be better to have it follow the 73 Route into Sunderland after Waterview Park, So then you could have 2 Xpress Services operating to Washington on both sides of the River like the old X2/X4 used to.

Those living in an area where this proposed 'express' service did not stop would be without the level of service they have at present, and that wouldn't be cause to complain?
If I recall correctly, the express service which previously operated did indeed stop at my local stop, but I think it would be a tad unfair to those living in Penshaw, Shiney Row, and other areas where the "Silver Arrows" 2A/2C currently serve.

As there is only a few minutes difference between the "Lime" 8 and the "Silver Arrows" 2A/2C, I think I'd prefer to have the network as it is at present. It really does not affect me having to 'hop off' at The Galleries for a connection to "Red Arrows" service X1 (if travelling to Newcastle) or "Connections 4" service 4 (if travelling to Heworth), as they are both so frequent. With 8 buses per hour from Sunderland to Washington, I hardly have any reason to complain when connecting at Washington with 6 buses per hour (or more, if you include services M2/M3 to Heworth).

While I admit that it does affect those who would prefer to buy a return from Sunderland all the way to Newcastle, wouldn't they be using the X3/X36 anyway?

I really don't see many advantages at all.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
gtom   24 Nov 2013, 9:48 pm
Obviously geography rules but this forum skews very heavily into pushing more routes for Sunderland largely on the basis of 'it looks busy'
Malarkey   24 Nov 2013, 9:53 pm
(24 Nov 2013, 9:48 pm)Dan wrote Those living in an area where this proposed 'express' service did not stop would be without the level of service they have at present, and that wouldn't be cause to complain?
If I recall correctly, the express service which previously operated did indeed stop at my local stop, but I think it would be a tad unfair to those living in Penshaw, Shiney Row, and other areas where the "Silver Arrows" 2A/2C currently serve.

As there is only a few minutes difference between the "Lime" 8 and the "Silver Arrows" 2A/2C, I think I'd prefer to have the network as it is at present. It really does not affect me having to 'hop off' at The Galleries for a connection to "Red Arrows" service X1 (if travelling to Newcastle) or "Connections 4" service 4 (if travelling to Heworth), as they are both so frequent. With 8 buses per hour from Sunderland to Washington, I hardly have any reason to complain when connecting at Washington with 6 buses per hour (or more, if you include services M2/M3 to Heworth).

While I admit that it does affect those who would prefer to buy a return from Sunderland all the way to Newcastle, wouldn't they be using the X3/X36 anyway?

I really don't see many advantages at all.

http://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=75&pid=20980#pid20980

Got all Bases Covered in my "wee" Plan
Pages (41)    132 33 3441