Menu

Pages (41)    133 34 3541   
busman101   24 Nov 2013, 10:18 pm
(24 Nov 2013, 9:10 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote Yeah it would but obviously I would reduce the Frequency of the 2A/2C and X1 to Every 15 Minutes and perhaps curtail the 8 at Washington Galleries and have timed so it connects with "Sunderland/Newcastle Xpress" to cover for the loss of Service.

You can't live in Rickleton or work at Waterview Park to have come up with that suggestion !
Acky81   25 Nov 2013, 12:15 am
Bring back the x90 this was always a popular route Seaham-ryhope-Silksworth -Herrington- biddick woods - galleries - spring well - QE - Gateshead- eldon square. Scrap x3 as metro is nearby scrap x36 as nobody travels from red house to Newcastle
citaro5284   25 Nov 2013, 6:17 am
(25 Nov 2013, 12:15 am)Acky81 wrote Bring back the x90 this was always a popular route Seaham-ryhope-Silksworth -Herrington- biddick woods - galleries - spring well - QE - Gateshead- eldon square. Scrap x3 as metro is nearby scrap x36 as nobody travels from red house to Newcastle

If it was popular, surely it would still be operating?
Acky81   25 Nov 2013, 10:45 am
It was always busy axed for greed
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
gtom   25 Nov 2013, 10:56 am
I assume you've got proof that it was axed for greed and it wasn't a sensible decision based on loadings, allocation etc etc
Acky81   25 Nov 2013, 10:59 am
Does the 56 really go down Newcastle road in Sunderland??? The numbers are back on the stops thought this scrapped as a cost cutting exercise
Attached Files
.jpg
image.jpg (Size 1.39 MB Downloads 37)
Adrian   25 Nov 2013, 12:58 pm
(25 Nov 2013, 10:59 am)Acky81 wrote Does the 56 really go down Newcastle road in Sunderland??? The numbers are back on the stops thought this scrapped as a cost cutting exercise

Interesting. The replacement signs round Washington don't actually have number space.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
CatsFast101   25 Nov 2013, 4:29 pm
(25 Nov 2013, 12:58 pm)aureolin wrote Interesting. The replacement signs round Washington don't actually have number space.

They are pointless having the route number on the signs they never update them, and does anyone really look up at a bus stop sign and say oh 'the 35 stops here' they look at the timetable to check what buses come when.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Dan   25 Nov 2013, 4:36 pm
(25 Nov 2013, 12:58 pm)aureolin wrote Interesting. The replacement signs round Washington don't actually have number space.

There are still a large number of signs which are yet to be replaced - a rather pointless exercise if you ask me, especially if Nexus are not being consistent.

(25 Nov 2013, 4:29 pm)CatsFast101 wrote They are pointless having the route number on the signs they never update them, and does anyone really look up at a bus stop sign and say oh 'the 35 stops here' they look at the timetable to check what buses come when.

The numbers on the signs are large enough for anyone with average eyesight or better to read them from a distance - it means that they do not have to go right to the bus stop and look at the timetable if they are searching for where a bus stops.
It's something which I imagine being beneficial at somewhere like Framwellgate Moor, if the passengers were not familiar with the area. There are several stops in Framwellgate Moor, some of which are not served by some bus services but others that are.
If, on an infrequent basis, you usually travel from terminus to terminus or terminus to a main timing point and you don't look out the window to observe the route which the bus takes, the next time when you get off/get on at a stop which isn't as 'major', you may be running around like a headless chicken minutes before the bus is due in search for a bus stop where these services stop.
Adrian   25 Nov 2013, 4:41 pm
(25 Nov 2013, 4:36 pm)Dan wrote There are still a large number of signs which are yet to be replaced - a rather pointless exercise if you ask me, especially if Nexus are not being consistent.

Id noticed that. I was going to start to compile a list and write to Nexus asking for an ETA. Nothing better than getting them to part with their self proclaimed "shoe string" budget. Wink

CatsFast101   25 Nov 2013, 4:47 pm
(25 Nov 2013, 4:36 pm)Dan wrote The numbers on the signs are large enough for anyone with average eyesight or better to read them from a distance - it means that they do not have to go right to the bus stop and look at the timetable if they are searching for where a bus stops.

Well they aren't that big really to be able to see from to far of a distance, by the time I'm close enough to read them I might aswell of gone to the timetable. Especially when certain stops show incorrect information like in Grangetown where bus stops indicate the 202 stops there despite it not stopping there for 8 months.

(25 Nov 2013, 4:36 pm)Dan wrote It's something which I imagine being beneficial at somewhere like Framwellgate Moor, if the passengers were not familiar with the area. There are several stops in Framwellgate Moor, some of which are not served by some bus services but others that are.
If, on an infrequent basis, you usually travel from terminus to terminus or terminus to a main timing point and you don't look out the window to observe the route which the bus takes, the next time when you get off/get on at a stop which isn't as 'major', you may be running around like a headless chicken minutes before the bus is due in search for a bus stop where these services stop.

I agree to using them in city centres maybe at things like Fawcett Street/ Holmeside in Sunderland. Monument/Pilgrim Street in Newcastle & Millburngate in Durham and those kind of instance when there are a collection of stops, however many will stay want to double check the time even on a frequent service. If I get the 60 and I still check what time it's due.
I just don't think they are that necessary anywhere else. To me there seems little point. If its your local bus stop you know what bus stops serve your stop you may not know the times however so may check a timetable. If your unfamiliar with the area, you're likely to want to check what time the bus is due aswell.
CatsFast101   25 Nov 2013, 4:55 pm
On another note, does anyone know if Centenary Versa 8319 has been out today? I can't recall seeing it lately and was wondering if its at Saltmeadows for a repaint or possibly VOR?
Purple Versa 8306 is on 39's today after possibly been off road after witnessing the accident at Ryhope, I can't recall seeing 8326 out in service yet though.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Dan   25 Nov 2013, 4:59 pm
(25 Nov 2013, 4:47 pm)CatsFast101 wrote Well they aren't that big really to be able to see from to far of a distance, by the time I'm close enough to read them I might aswell of gone to the timetable. Especially when certain stops show incorrect information like in Grangetown where bus stops indicate the 202 stops there despite it not stopping there for 8 months.

My eyesight isn't amazing, but I always used to be able to see the service numbers for a bus stop from a distance. It's a matter of seconds, but it is more convenient to the potential customer.
Think of it in website terms - a website is usually more 'user friendly' if the user clicks less to get to pages or features on a page. I've discussed this in another area of the forum regarding a recent Flickr update. Even if it's a matter of a few more steps, it saves time and effort. It's more convenient for the customer.
You have a very valid point regarding the updates. That, to me, shows the inefficiency of Nexus and its incapability of doing minor things such as updating bus stop information. Although I agree there are quite often a great number of changes at certain times each year (as well as the other 'minor changes' to services too, of course), it seems somewhat barbaric that Nexus cannot update the small things such as peeling a number off the bus stop sign to show that it no longer stops there.

(25 Nov 2013, 4:47 pm)CatsFast101 wrote I agree to using them in city centres maybe at things like Fawcett Street/ Holmeside in Sunderland. Monument/Pilgrim Street in Newcastle & Millburngate in Durham and those kind of instance when there are a collection of stops, however many will stay want to double check the time even on a frequent service. If I get the 60 and I still check what time it's due.
I just don't think they are that necessary anywhere else. To me there seems little point. If its your local bus stop you know what bus stops serve your stop you may not know the times however so may check a timetable. If your unfamiliar with the area, you're likely to want to check what time the bus is due aswell.

City Centres are another good reason for these sign posts - something which I hadn't thought of. My mum often relies on me for where buses stop in the City Centre (be it Holmeside, John Street, Fawcett Street or indeed St. Mary's Way) - perhaps if she could see at a distance when travelling around the City Centre where buses stop, she'd me less reliant on me?
Nexus need to consider everyone, rather than those who may be familiar with an area. Like I said before, having numbers on bus signs allows for greater user convenience. If you don't know where a bus stops because there are several stops in the area where it could, you want an obvious sign that it stops at a specific stop before checking the timetable. Looking at the timetable (especially a Durham County Council one, as in my previous example of Framwellgate Moor) wastes an additional 30 seconds if it's not the stop you need, when you may only have a few minutes to spare before the bus is due at a stop in that area.
Dan   25 Nov 2013, 5:01 pm
(25 Nov 2013, 4:55 pm)CatsFast101 wrote On another note, does anyone know if Centenary Versa 8319 has been out today? I can't recall seeing it lately and was wondering if its at Saltmeadows for a repaint or possibly VOR?

It's not getting repainted for a while yet, so it's certainly not at SMR for repaint.
Malarkey   25 Nov 2013, 5:03 pm
(25 Nov 2013, 4:55 pm)CatsFast101 wrote On another note, does anyone know if Centenary Versa 8319 has been out today? I can't recall seeing it lately and was wondering if its at Saltmeadows for a repaint or possibly VOR?
Purple Versa 8306 is on 39's today after possibly been off road after witnessing the accident at Ryhope, I can't recall seeing 8326 out in service yet though.

i didn't see 8319 whilst I was in Sunderland This Morning, baring in mind I spent an Hour at Park Lane after my appointment at Ingeus merely observing to see if there was any oddities dotting about
CatsFast101   25 Nov 2013, 5:04 pm
(25 Nov 2013, 5:01 pm)Dan wrote It's not getting repainted for a while yet, so it's certainly not at SMR for repaint.

Are we thinking it'll be allocated to 39 in its centenary livery?
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
CatsFast101   25 Nov 2013, 5:07 pm
(25 Nov 2013, 4:59 pm)Dan wrote My eyesight isn't amazing, but I always used to be able to see the service numbers for a bus stop from a distance. It's a matter of seconds, but it is more convenient to the potential customer.
Think of it in website terms - a website is usually more 'user friendly' if the user clicks less to get to pages or features on a page. I've discussed this in another area of the forum regarding a recent Flickr update. Even if it's a matter of a few more steps, it saves time and effort. It's more convenient for the customer.
You have a very valid point regarding the updates. That, to me, shows the inefficiency of Nexus and its incapability of doing minor things such as updating bus stop information. Although I agree there are quite often a great number of changes at certain times each year (as well as the other 'minor changes' to services too, of course), it seems somewhat barbaric that Nexus cannot update the small things such as peeling a number off the bus stop sign to show that it no longer stops there.

City Centres are another good reason for these sign posts - something which I hadn't thought of. My mum often relies on me for where buses stop in the City Centre (be it Holmeside, John Street, Fawcett Street or indeed St. Mary's Way) - perhaps if she could see at a distance when travelling around the City Centre where buses stop, she'd me less reliant on me?
Nexus need to consider everyone, rather than those who may be familiar with an area. Like I said before, having numbers on bus signs allows for greater user convenience. If you don't know where a bus stops because there are several stops in the area where it could, you want an obvious sign that it stops at a specific stop before checking the timetable. Looking at the timetable (especially a Durham County Council one, as in my previous example of Framwellgate Moor) wastes an additional 30 seconds if it's not the stop you need, when you may only have a few minutes to spare before the bus is due at a stop in that area.

Summary from me is City Centres and other examples like this Fram Moor: yes they could serve a purpose.
Unfortunately anywhere else for me they're surplus to requirements.
...   25 Nov 2013, 5:13 pm
8319 was on the 61s on saturday. It looks like it had just been repaired following an accident and no longer carries any branding below the windows on the passenger side.
Dan   25 Nov 2013, 5:15 pm
(25 Nov 2013, 5:04 pm)CatsFast101 wrote Are we thinking it'll be allocated to 39 in its centenary livery?

Unfortunately, yes - for a little while longer at least.

When 8319 was first repainted red, some of you may be able to recall me stating that 8319 was required at the end of the year, and I asked you all why would Go North East bother branding 8319 in a special commemorative centenary livery, if it was a required bus before the centenary celebrations ended. I was of the opinion that 3964 had been discussed as being a candidate to receive a 'centenary livery' and that perhaps could have linked in with a livery from a bygone era. Clearly, this didn't happen, and GNE opted for using the bus which was required at the end of the year.
I have no doubt that many of you would have forgotten by now, but this is the use of 8319 - which was first discussed in May when I first told all of you.
The original plan to brand the 39 "SimpliCity" and have it at a 10 minute frequency across the full route meant that 8319 could have remained in red after the centenary celebrations and acted as a 'spare', which helped in regards to the scheme whereby new orders receive two red buses to act as 'spares', allowing further older 'spare' vehicles to be withdrawn from the fleet.
As we all know, that plan changed. The 61 retained the Versas and fell under the "SimpliCity" network - hardly an appropriate decision, but nevermind...

At least we can celebrate the end of the centenary year in a month, when the 39 should have the full runs with a full "purple bus" allocation. Wink
Tom   25 Nov 2013, 5:20 pm
(25 Nov 2013, 5:15 pm)Dan wrote Unfortunately, yes - for a little while longer at least.
When 8319 was first repainted red, some of you may be able to recall me stating that 8319 was required at the end of the year, and I asked you all why would Go North East bother branding 8319 in a special commemorative centenary livery. I was of the opinion that 3964 had been discussed as being a candidate to receive a 'centenary livery' and that perhaps could have linked in with a livery from a bygone era. Clearly, this didn't happen, and GNE opted for using the bus which was required at the end of the year.
I have no doubt that many of you would have forgotten by now, but this is the use of 8319 - which was first discussed in May when I first told all of you.
The original plan to brand the 39 "SimpliCity" and have it at a 10 minute frequency across the full route meant that 8319 could have remained in red after the centenary celebrations and acted as a 'spare', which helped in regards to the scheme whereby new orders receive two red buses to act as 'spares', allowing further older 'spare' vehicles to be withdrawn from the fleet.
As we all know, that plan changed. The 61 retained the Versas and fell under the "SimpliCity" network - hardly an appropriate decision, but nevermind...

At least we can celebrate the end of the centenary year in a month, when the 39 should have the full runs with a full "purple bus" allocation. Wink

I've saw 8319 a number of times, but had a nightmare photographing it!
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Dan   25 Nov 2013, 6:16 pm
Just to strike some discussion (hopefully), a photo appeared on Facebook earlier of a Gemini destined for the GNE's 56 service - still at Wrights:
[Image: 1472919_550204968403018_1220225524_n.jpg...635ec04f21]

Copyright unfortunately unknown.
Tom   25 Nov 2013, 6:22 pm
(25 Nov 2013, 6:16 pm)Dan wrote Just to strike some discussion (hopefully), a photo appeared on Facebook earlier of a Gemini destined for the GNE's 56 service - still at Wrights:

Looks surprisingly smart!
Dan   25 Nov 2013, 6:24 pm
(25 Nov 2013, 6:22 pm)Tom wrote Looks surprisingly smart!

From that poor quality shot where the sun hasn't helped at all - I agree.
Let's hope the vinyls are as good!
Adrian   25 Nov 2013, 6:48 pm
(25 Nov 2013, 6:24 pm)Dan wrote From that poor quality shot where the sun hasn't helped at all - I agree.
Let's hope the vinyls are as good!

Strange observation, but noticed the head rests aren't red leather? I don't even know why they are on the Angel, TEN and TTX.. but.. Smile

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Dan   25 Nov 2013, 6:53 pm
(25 Nov 2013, 6:48 pm)aureolin wrote Strange observation, but noticed the head rests aren't red leather? I don't even know why they are on the Angel, TEN and TTX.. but.. Smile

They weren't on the TTX when they first arrived - if you look at photos from the Quayside launch, no seats have the red headrests.
Were later implemented on the TTX lot mid-September, if memory serves.
Michael   25 Nov 2013, 6:55 pm
(25 Nov 2013, 6:16 pm)Dan wrote Just to strike some discussion (hopefully), a photo appeared on Facebook earlier of a Gemini destined for the GNE's 56 service - still at Wrights:

Look's smart, lets hope the brand is then!

How long will it stop their before being moved to Saltmeadows?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Adrian   25 Nov 2013, 6:55 pm
(25 Nov 2013, 6:53 pm)Dan wrote They weren't on the TTX when they first arrived - if you look at photos from the Quayside launch, no seats have the red headrests.
Were later implemented on the TTX lot mid-September, if memory serves.

Neither batch of the Red Arrows ever got them. Not sure what the purpose or benefit is of them?

Dan   25 Nov 2013, 6:57 pm
(25 Nov 2013, 6:55 pm)aureolin wrote Neither batch of the Red Arrows ever got them. Not sure what the purpose or benefit is of them?

Personally dislike them as it makes the interior look somewhat tacky, but I guess leather seating can be marketed as a 'luxury'! Wink
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
RM2186   25 Nov 2013, 6:57 pm
Red Arrows Gemini's have cloth head rests too.

(oops, got beaten to it whilst typing!).
Busmad99   25 Nov 2013, 7:09 pm
Looks really smart in orange
Pages (41)    133 34 3541