Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2020

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2020

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2020

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Pages (15): Previous 13 4 515 Next
07 Feb 2020, 5:22 pm
How many more buses need the Euro 6 conversion?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
07 Feb 2020, 5:22 pm #61

How many more buses need the Euro 6 conversion?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

07 Feb 2020, 6:13 pm
(07 Feb 2020, 1:27 pm)Venturego Just tried to find GNE routes/services to Newcastle Airport, as I thought an All Zone day ticket at £7 would save me using the car + parking etc.., but amazed to see GNE no longer have any services to the Airport. - Surely an Express link from Metro Centre, would be very successful as it would link to most of the GNE network using connecting services, and would be both Fast, Efficient use of possibly only one bus, and avoid City Centre, as transferring to onward services at Metro Centre would suffice.

As it is at the moment, I would need to buy a multi operator ticket, transferring to either Stagecoach or Metro trains in Newcastle etc...

Wonder if Martijn Gilbert is aware of, what seems to me, a huge missed opportunity to plug a gap, which I am sure there will be great demand from early morning to late night, servicing passengers on daily return flights.

There's little demand though really. 5.4m people using a flight a day / 365 days is 14.8k people a day. Knock off 98% (2%) as that's likely the amount of people coming from Derwentside / Tynedale (anyone else would use the Metro). That's down to 296 people and that's if your lucky. Then knock off another 20% off who are coming in overnight / past last buses. Your down to 237 people. If the service is hourly with a journey in both directions from 7am to 10pm that's 30 journeys which works out at a total of 8 people per bus and that's if everyone used the service - which in reality no-one will as a holiday is a treat and the last thing you want to do is mess around with buses. There's no profit in that.

A non express bus which does bits of the West End though and eventually goes to the airport might work however as the connectivity from the West End to the Metro Centre / The Airport is pretty much non-existant bar travelling via Newcastle. Something like this https://goo.gl/maps/pTLmcM47s9JUSyLcA but it would make more sense being a Stagecoach service really. I know it doesn't really do your purpose but it would be useable for those coming from Derwentside etc if they wanted and might actually have a chance of making money because of the intermediate journeys from the West End to Kingston Park, the Airport, and the Metro Centre which are non-existant.  I know of someone who travels to Byker to go shopping as there's no links to any other supermarkets without changing with this you'd give them 2 more direct options (Tesco Kingston Park / Asda Metro Centre) so the demand is there.
Storx
07 Feb 2020, 6:13 pm #62

(07 Feb 2020, 1:27 pm)Venturego Just tried to find GNE routes/services to Newcastle Airport, as I thought an All Zone day ticket at £7 would save me using the car + parking etc.., but amazed to see GNE no longer have any services to the Airport. - Surely an Express link from Metro Centre, would be very successful as it would link to most of the GNE network using connecting services, and would be both Fast, Efficient use of possibly only one bus, and avoid City Centre, as transferring to onward services at Metro Centre would suffice.

As it is at the moment, I would need to buy a multi operator ticket, transferring to either Stagecoach or Metro trains in Newcastle etc...

Wonder if Martijn Gilbert is aware of, what seems to me, a huge missed opportunity to plug a gap, which I am sure there will be great demand from early morning to late night, servicing passengers on daily return flights.

There's little demand though really. 5.4m people using a flight a day / 365 days is 14.8k people a day. Knock off 98% (2%) as that's likely the amount of people coming from Derwentside / Tynedale (anyone else would use the Metro). That's down to 296 people and that's if your lucky. Then knock off another 20% off who are coming in overnight / past last buses. Your down to 237 people. If the service is hourly with a journey in both directions from 7am to 10pm that's 30 journeys which works out at a total of 8 people per bus and that's if everyone used the service - which in reality no-one will as a holiday is a treat and the last thing you want to do is mess around with buses. There's no profit in that.

A non express bus which does bits of the West End though and eventually goes to the airport might work however as the connectivity from the West End to the Metro Centre / The Airport is pretty much non-existant bar travelling via Newcastle. Something like this https://goo.gl/maps/pTLmcM47s9JUSyLcA but it would make more sense being a Stagecoach service really. I know it doesn't really do your purpose but it would be useable for those coming from Derwentside etc if they wanted and might actually have a chance of making money because of the intermediate journeys from the West End to Kingston Park, the Airport, and the Metro Centre which are non-existant.  I know of someone who travels to Byker to go shopping as there's no links to any other supermarkets without changing with this you'd give them 2 more direct options (Tesco Kingston Park / Asda Metro Centre) so the demand is there.

07 Feb 2020, 7:18 pm
There is a gap in service on the X21 in the afternoon where a bus terminates at Chester and then restarts from there later, I’m guessing this is so the bus can do a scholars, does anyone know which one?

Am I right in thinking that since the timetable change there are no longer any peak time boards and none run by any other depots
Wybus
07 Feb 2020, 7:18 pm #63

There is a gap in service on the X21 in the afternoon where a bus terminates at Chester and then restarts from there later, I’m guessing this is so the bus can do a scholars, does anyone know which one?

Am I right in thinking that since the timetable change there are no longer any peak time boards and none run by any other depots

07 Feb 2020, 11:22 pm
(07 Feb 2020, 6:13 pm)Storx There's little demand though really. 5.4m people using a flight a day / 365 days is 14.8k people a day. Knock off 98% (2%) as that's likely the amount of people coming from Derwentside / Tynedale (anyone else would use the Metro). That's down to 296 people and that's if your lucky. Then knock off another 20% off who are coming in overnight / past last buses. Your down to 237 people. If the service is hourly with a journey in both directions from 7am to 10pm that's 30 journeys which works out at a total of 8 people per bus and that's if everyone used the service - which in reality no-one will as a holiday is a treat and the last thing you want to do is mess around with buses. There's no profit in that.

Don't forget the proportion who have simply paid £30 or whatever it is, lately, for a taxi each way from Peterlee and the like.

(07 Feb 2020, 7:18 pm)Wybus There is a gap in service on the X21 in the afternoon where a bus terminates at Chester and then restarts from there later, I’m guessing this is so the bus can do a scholars, does anyone know which one?

Would be shit on a Friday, if so, though hopefully the 21 would pick up the slack as most of the Friday afternoon crawl is Newcastle gateshead.
BusLoverMum
07 Feb 2020, 11:22 pm #64

(07 Feb 2020, 6:13 pm)Storx There's little demand though really. 5.4m people using a flight a day / 365 days is 14.8k people a day. Knock off 98% (2%) as that's likely the amount of people coming from Derwentside / Tynedale (anyone else would use the Metro). That's down to 296 people and that's if your lucky. Then knock off another 20% off who are coming in overnight / past last buses. Your down to 237 people. If the service is hourly with a journey in both directions from 7am to 10pm that's 30 journeys which works out at a total of 8 people per bus and that's if everyone used the service - which in reality no-one will as a holiday is a treat and the last thing you want to do is mess around with buses. There's no profit in that.

Don't forget the proportion who have simply paid £30 or whatever it is, lately, for a taxi each way from Peterlee and the like.

(07 Feb 2020, 7:18 pm)Wybus There is a gap in service on the X21 in the afternoon where a bus terminates at Chester and then restarts from there later, I’m guessing this is so the bus can do a scholars, does anyone know which one?

Would be shit on a Friday, if so, though hopefully the 21 would pick up the slack as most of the Friday afternoon crawl is Newcastle gateshead.

08 Feb 2020, 12:08 am
(07 Feb 2020, 1:07 pm)streetdeckfan So I was just talking to someone, and it got me thinking. How does everyone else say the fleet numbers?
I personally find it easier to say the numbers individually, so for 6332 I would say six three three two. Whereas I've heard others say them in twos, so sixty three thirty two

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Generally as a driver speaking to other people in GNE we split it up as two numbers sixty three thirty two, easier and clearer when talking over the radio/phone call. Also when we're talking about certain buses, like buses branded for a route, you can just drop the first two numbers as they're quite often redundant.
deanmachine
08 Feb 2020, 12:08 am #65

(07 Feb 2020, 1:07 pm)streetdeckfan So I was just talking to someone, and it got me thinking. How does everyone else say the fleet numbers?
I personally find it easier to say the numbers individually, so for 6332 I would say six three three two. Whereas I've heard others say them in twos, so sixty three thirty two

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Generally as a driver speaking to other people in GNE we split it up as two numbers sixty three thirty two, easier and clearer when talking over the radio/phone call. Also when we're talking about certain buses, like buses branded for a route, you can just drop the first two numbers as they're quite often redundant.

08 Feb 2020, 5:13 pm
Surprised nobody has reported this

Sprinters 729/30 are working for Consett today on 30s - just 30s, 718 has been working 31/32 (and sister 719 has been on 689s)
Kuyoyo
08 Feb 2020, 5:13 pm #66

Surprised nobody has reported this

Sprinters 729/30 are working for Consett today on 30s - just 30s, 718 has been working 31/32 (and sister 719 has been on 689s)

08 Feb 2020, 8:20 pm
(07 Feb 2020, 2:02 pm)Rapidsnap 42A goes to Newcastle Airport but it goes via everywhere beforehand

I hope to ride it next time I come to Newcastle, potentially late August.  Hopefully the Yutongs will be in service by then, as currently indicated.
MetrolineGA1511
08 Feb 2020, 8:20 pm #67

(07 Feb 2020, 2:02 pm)Rapidsnap 42A goes to Newcastle Airport but it goes via everywhere beforehand

I hope to ride it next time I come to Newcastle, potentially late August.  Hopefully the Yutongs will be in service by then, as currently indicated.

08 Feb 2020, 8:24 pm
(08 Feb 2020, 8:20 pm)Metroline1511 I hope to ride it next time I come to Newcastle, potentially late August.  Hopefully the Yutongs will be in service by then, as currently indicated.

Why do you hope to ride the 42A? Which section of the route? What service are the Yutongs indicated to be going on?
OrangeArrow49
08 Feb 2020, 8:24 pm #68

(08 Feb 2020, 8:20 pm)Metroline1511 I hope to ride it next time I come to Newcastle, potentially late August.  Hopefully the Yutongs will be in service by then, as currently indicated.

Why do you hope to ride the 42A? Which section of the route? What service are the Yutongs indicated to be going on?

08 Feb 2020, 8:30 pm
(08 Feb 2020, 8:24 pm)OrangeArrow49 Why do you hope to ride the 42A? Which section of the route? What service are the Yutongs indicated to be going on?

Because route 42A is an orbital route, contrasting with the routes I know which are mainly radial routes and key interurban routes.

I believe the Yutongs are for route 58, although I previously expected them to be for the Q routes.
MetrolineGA1511
08 Feb 2020, 8:30 pm #69

(08 Feb 2020, 8:24 pm)OrangeArrow49 Why do you hope to ride the 42A? Which section of the route? What service are the Yutongs indicated to be going on?

Because route 42A is an orbital route, contrasting with the routes I know which are mainly radial routes and key interurban routes.

I believe the Yutongs are for route 58, although I previously expected them to be for the Q routes.

08 Feb 2020, 8:35 pm
(08 Feb 2020, 8:30 pm)Metroline1511 Because route 42A is an orbital route, contrasting with the routes I know which are mainly radial routes and key interurban routes.

How much of the 42A route are you planning to ride? The full route is very long. A lot of bus services are quite long for the full distance. I don't know what orbital. radial and interurban routes are! 

Yes, the 58 and Q services could do with new buses.
OrangeArrow49
08 Feb 2020, 8:35 pm #70

(08 Feb 2020, 8:30 pm)Metroline1511 Because route 42A is an orbital route, contrasting with the routes I know which are mainly radial routes and key interurban routes.

How much of the 42A route are you planning to ride? The full route is very long. A lot of bus services are quite long for the full distance. I don't know what orbital. radial and interurban routes are! 

08 Feb 2020, 8:47 pm
(08 Feb 2020, 8:35 pm)OrangeArrow49 How much of the 42A route are you planning to ride? The full route is very long. A lot of bus services are quite long for the full distance. I don't know what orbital. radial and interurban routes are! 

I am not sure yet.  I reckon from Killingworth to Newcastle Airport will be long enough, even though I may catch another bus to North Shields.

Radial routes are those that originate in the centre, so I mean basically from Newcastle city centre.  Interurban connect other towns eg South Shields - Durham, while orbital are those connecting minor interchanges.
MetrolineGA1511
08 Feb 2020, 8:47 pm #71

(08 Feb 2020, 8:35 pm)OrangeArrow49 How much of the 42A route are you planning to ride? The full route is very long. A lot of bus services are quite long for the full distance. I don't know what orbital. radial and interurban routes are! 

I am not sure yet.  I reckon from Killingworth to Newcastle Airport will be long enough, even though I may catch another bus to North Shields.

Radial routes are those that originate in the centre, so I mean basically from Newcastle city centre.  Interurban connect other towns eg South Shields - Durham, while orbital are those connecting minor interchanges.

08 Feb 2020, 8:52 pm

The first batch of Yutongs are for the 53/54, (Saltwell Park) which are due in July.

2nd batch are for the 58, can't remember what date they're due though

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
08 Feb 2020, 8:52 pm #72

The first batch of Yutongs are for the 53/54, (Saltwell Park) which are due in July.

2nd batch are for the 58, can't remember what date they're due though

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

08 Feb 2020, 8:54 pm
(08 Feb 2020, 8:47 pm)Metroline1511 I am not sure yet.  I reckon from Killingworth to Newcastle Airport will be long enough, even though I may catch another bus to North Shields.

I have done Wallsend to Kingston Park and Wallsend to Cobalt Business Park so far. Wallsend to North Shields would be doable. Killingworth to Newcastle Airport would be a good ride.

Thanks. Radial are probably the most popular. The 42A is a bit all over the place!
OrangeArrow49
08 Feb 2020, 8:54 pm #73

(08 Feb 2020, 8:47 pm)Metroline1511 I am not sure yet.  I reckon from Killingworth to Newcastle Airport will be long enough, even though I may catch another bus to North Shields.

I have done Wallsend to Kingston Park and Wallsend to Cobalt Business Park so far. Wallsend to North Shields would be doable. Killingworth to Newcastle Airport would be a good ride.

Thanks. Radial are probably the most popular. The 42A is a bit all over the place!

08 Feb 2020, 8:56 pm
The 42A is an interesting route especially around the airport running through the green belt and the villages of Dinnington and Prestwick. A good place to change buses is Kingston Park.

Charles
Charles41
08 Feb 2020, 8:56 pm #74

The 42A is an interesting route especially around the airport running through the green belt and the villages of Dinnington and Prestwick. A good place to change buses is Kingston Park.

Charles

08 Feb 2020, 9:00 pm
(08 Feb 2020, 8:56 pm)Charles41 The 42A is an interesting route especially around the airport running through the green belt and the villages of Dinnington and Prestwick. A good place to change buses is Kingston Park.

Charles

The 42A is quite interesting, although I have only done Wallsend to Kingston Park once and today got the 42A to Cobalt Business Park from Wallsend. I hope to ride the 42A again soon. It seems like quite a mixed route. I just think it takes a long time, particularly the full route from North Shields to Dinnington/Kingston Park, but even Wallsend to Kingston Park takes a while. I think Killingworth and Benton to Kingston Park or Wallsend is sensible. 

Why is Kingston Park a good place to change buses?
OrangeArrow49
08 Feb 2020, 9:00 pm #75

(08 Feb 2020, 8:56 pm)Charles41 The 42A is an interesting route especially around the airport running through the green belt and the villages of Dinnington and Prestwick. A good place to change buses is Kingston Park.

Charles

The 42A is quite interesting, although I have only done Wallsend to Kingston Park once and today got the 42A to Cobalt Business Park from Wallsend. I hope to ride the 42A again soon. It seems like quite a mixed route. I just think it takes a long time, particularly the full route from North Shields to Dinnington/Kingston Park, but even Wallsend to Kingston Park takes a while. I think Killingworth and Benton to Kingston Park or Wallsend is sensible. 

Why is Kingston Park a good place to change buses?

09 Feb 2020, 9:22 am
At Kingston Park you have connections to Newcastle and the Metrocentre. There are also a number of local services operated by Gateshead Central Taxis which are Nexus contracted. Finally there is the free bus from Tesco to the Regent Centre which is paid for by Tesco and operated by Gateshead Central Taxis. It only operates a few times a day. It is now the only bus that serves Regent Farm Road in Gosforth.

Charles
Charles41
09 Feb 2020, 9:22 am #76

At Kingston Park you have connections to Newcastle and the Metrocentre. There are also a number of local services operated by Gateshead Central Taxis which are Nexus contracted. Finally there is the free bus from Tesco to the Regent Centre which is paid for by Tesco and operated by Gateshead Central Taxis. It only operates a few times a day. It is now the only bus that serves Regent Farm Road in Gosforth.

Charles

09 Feb 2020, 10:51 am
The 35A has next stop annoucements now, currently on 5292.
Citaro5326
09 Feb 2020, 10:51 am #77

The 35A has next stop annoucements now, currently on 5292.

09 Feb 2020, 10:59 am
(09 Feb 2020, 10:51 am)Citaro5326 The 35A has next stop annoucements now, currently on 5292.

Believe majority of routes have NSA completed. Obviously only works if you have a vehicle fitted with NSA Tongue
JP6004
09 Feb 2020, 10:59 am #78

(09 Feb 2020, 10:51 am)Citaro5326 The 35A has next stop annoucements now, currently on 5292.

Believe majority of routes have NSA completed. Obviously only works if you have a vehicle fitted with NSA Tongue

09 Feb 2020, 11:13 am
Has 5441 moved to Riverside?
michaelb
09 Feb 2020, 11:13 am #79

Has 5441 moved to Riverside?

Dan
Site Administrator
09 Feb 2020, 12:03 pm
(09 Feb 2020, 10:59 am)JP6004 Believe majority of routes have NSA completed. Obviously only works if you have a vehicle fitted with NSA Tongue

Indeed - just a handful of routes that aren't programmed now (mainly Miscellaneous Works services and other scholars in County Durham and Northumberland).

Work is still ongoing with the aforementioned issues with Hanover's hardware.

(09 Feb 2020, 11:13 am)michaelb Has 5441 moved to Riverside?

No, it's only on loan from Consett (has been since 26 January to assist Riverside's high VOR). It's primarily being allocated to service 33 in Newcastle (the intended allocation for this service is now 2x Euro 6 Streetlite).
Dan
09 Feb 2020, 12:03 pm #80

(09 Feb 2020, 10:59 am)JP6004 Believe majority of routes have NSA completed. Obviously only works if you have a vehicle fitted with NSA Tongue

Indeed - just a handful of routes that aren't programmed now (mainly Miscellaneous Works services and other scholars in County Durham and Northumberland).

Work is still ongoing with the aforementioned issues with Hanover's hardware.

(09 Feb 2020, 11:13 am)michaelb Has 5441 moved to Riverside?

No, it's only on loan from Consett (has been since 26 January to assist Riverside's high VOR). It's primarily being allocated to service 33 in Newcastle (the intended allocation for this service is now 2x Euro 6 Streetlite).

Pages (15): Previous 13 4 515 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Possibly Related Threads…
Replies 0
Views 36658
06 Mar 2020, 11:35 am
Last Post by V514DFT