Menu

Pages (159)    147 48 49159   
R852 PRG   06 Jan 2015, 4:03 pm
(06 Jan 2015, 7:54 am)Tom wrote Think there was a shuttle last year?
By the way, I know you have spent quite a bit of time planning, but have you asked your parents if you can go?

I'll look around on Flickr for some pics.

Haha, yeah I'll be attending Big Bus Day regardless of whether I go down with my parents or the trip goes ahead, but seeing as it's in the early stages, unsure on numbers, etc, I think it will be quite a while before any serious planning gets taken up. Smile
Tom   06 Jan 2015, 4:07 pm
(06 Jan 2015, 4:03 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote I'll look around on Flickr for some pics.

Haha, yeah I'll be attending Big Bus Day regardless of whether I go down with my parents or the trip goes ahead, but seeing as it's in the early stages, unsure on numbers, etc, I think it will be quite a while before any serious planning gets taken up. Smile

Yeah I will hopefully be attending it, just depends on the dates Smile
We have a few weekend breaks planned so my not be able to make it.
R852 PRG   06 Jan 2015, 4:10 pm
(06 Jan 2015, 4:07 pm)Tom wrote Yeah I will hopefully be attending it, just depends on the dates Smile
We have a few weekend breaks planned so my not be able to make it.

I'm doing a week in New York in October, London for a weekend at some point during the summer, and Grasmere on a long weekend. Smile

Renting a cottage on the highlands of Scotland for a couple of days at some point too.

I'm planning a couple of solo trips into EYMS territory, maybe a 21 to Durham, an X12 to Middlesbrough, maybe sample the X93 to see if it's improved at all, then the 843 to York, before a train back up?
Tom   06 Jan 2015, 4:12 pm
(06 Jan 2015, 4:10 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote I'm doing a week in New York in October, London for a weekend at some point during the summer, and Grasmere on a long weekend. Smile

Renting a cottage on the highlands of Scotland for a couple of days at some point too.

I'm planning a couple of solo trips into EYMS territory, maybe a 21 to Durham, an X12 to Middlesbrough, maybe sample the X93 to see if it's improved at all, then the 843 to York, before a train back up?

That sounds good!

Will give you the opportunity to try out Max on the X93 with the B9's. 
You could even get a bus into Leeds and the train back from Leeds. 
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
R852 PRG   06 Jan 2015, 4:34 pm
(06 Jan 2015, 4:12 pm)Tom wrote That sounds good!

Will give you the opportunity to try out Max on the X93 with the B9's. 
You could even get a bus into Leeds and the train back from Leeds. 

Oh I thought they were using those Gemini 1 bodied ones? lol

Yes I think the 843 continues on to Leeds, but I don't think I could last that long on a single bus, the X93 earlier on in the day would probably put me off for a week!
Tom   06 Jan 2015, 4:37 pm
(06 Jan 2015, 4:34 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Oh I thought they were using those Gemini 1 bodied ones? lol

Yes I think the 843 continues on to Leeds, but I don't think I could last that long on a single bus, the X93 earlier on in the day would probably put me off for a week!

I mean get a different bus from York to Leeds?

And yes they are B9's Smile
S813 FVK   06 Jan 2015, 4:38 pm
(06 Jan 2015, 4:34 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Oh I thought they were using those Gemini 1 bodied ones? lol

The 843 does continue onto Leeds but even to York you're going to be on a bus for a long time. The X12 and X93 are both reasonably long too. I wouldnt be able to do what you're planning myself.
R852 PRG   06 Jan 2015, 4:40 pm
(06 Jan 2015, 4:38 pm)Robert wrote The 843 does continue onto Leeds but even to York you're going to be on a bus for a long time. The X12 and X93 are both reasonably long too. I wouldnt be able to do what you're planning myself.

Two hours thirteen mins on the X93! Something like one hour forty five on the 843. I wouldn't mind that though, as it is a new operator (think it might be Transdev?) and apparently the route is pretty scenic.

I've heard EYMS' X46/X47 between York and Hull is quite a beautiful run, and it's two hours exactly.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Tom   06 Jan 2015, 4:41 pm
(06 Jan 2015, 4:40 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Two hours thirteen mins on the X93! Something like one hour forty five on the 843. I wouldn't mind that though, as it is a new operator (think it might be Transdev?) and apparently the route is pretty scenic.

I've heard EYMS' X46/X47 between York and Hull is quite a beautiful run, and it's two hours exactly.

Maybe you could split it up between two days?
You could do Scarborough and Middlesbrough etc. one day, and York/Hull another?
Using train and bus.
S813 FVK   06 Jan 2015, 4:43 pm
(06 Jan 2015, 4:40 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Two hours thirteen mins on the X93! Something like one hour forty five on the 843. I wouldn't mind that though, as it is a new operator (think it might be Transdev?) and apparently the route is pretty scenic.

I believe the Coastliner routes have always been traded as Transdev Yorkshire Coastliner (or they have everytime i have been down to Scarborough).
Jimmi   06 Jan 2015, 4:46 pm

There is also a Transdev Yorkshire Coastliner service 840 from Whitby that runs to York and Leeds, I think it runs 3 journeys a day with the first one leaving Whitby sometime after 11am.
R852 PRG   06 Jan 2015, 4:59 pm
(06 Jan 2015, 4:43 pm)Robert wrote I believe the Coastliner routes have always been traded as Transdev Yorkshire Coastliner (or they have everytime i have been down to Scarborough).

Sorry. Think I worded that wrong. Bad to school, if you know what I mean. haha

I meant to say it was a new operator to me, having never travelled with Transdev before. Wink
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Jimmi   06 Jan 2015, 5:19 pm
This was an idea I had to head to Leeds.

Bus to Darlington.
72 Darlington - Northallerton.
70 Northallerton - Ripon.
36 Ripon - Leeds.
Return on train.

Things that are stopping me from doing this:

I'm not 100% on service 72's times.
Also I have never really used trains so I would be a bit nervous that something would go wrong and I'm not sure how things even work with trains. I know that sounds stupid.
R852 PRG   06 Jan 2015, 5:24 pm
(06 Jan 2015, 5:19 pm)Jimmi wrote This was an idea I had to head to Leeds.

Bus to Darlington.
72 Darlington - Northallerton.
70 Northallerton - Ripon.
36 Ripon - Leeds.
Return on train.

Things that are stopping me from doing this:

I'm not 100% on service 72's times.
Also I have never really used trains so I would be a bit nervous that something would go wrong and I'm not sure how things even work with trains. I know that sounds stupid.

I was scared the first time I used the train by myself. Just a short hop from Durham to Newcastle with East Coast, and back.

It can be quite daunting, but now I'm fine with them. Big Grin

Just try something really short, maybe Darlington (would that be your local station?) to Durham or Newcastle during the middle of the day would be your best chance of a nice quiet journey. Smile
Tom   06 Jan 2015, 5:33 pm
I would also like to do Newcastle > Berwick > Edinburgh > Dumfries > Carlisle > Newcastle sometime.
Might require a overnight stay though.
R852 PRG   06 Jan 2015, 5:35 pm
(06 Jan 2015, 5:33 pm)Tom wrote I would also like to do Newcastle > Berwick > Edinburgh > Dumfries > Carlisle > Newcastle sometime.
Might require a overnight stay though.

I reckon you could do that all in one day, if it were nearly all trains. I'll try and make something up for you. Smile
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Jimmi   06 Jan 2015, 5:36 pm
(06 Jan 2015, 5:24 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote I was scared the first time I used the train by myself. Just a short hop from Durham to Newcastle with East Coast, and back.

It can be quite daunting, but now I'm fine with them. Big Grin

Just try something really short, maybe Darlington (would that be your local station?) to Durham or Newcastle during the middle of the day would be your best chance of a nice quiet journey. Smile

I did think of doing a short train journey either Darlington to Durham or Durham to Newcastle to try and get used to it before doing it somewhere I don't know.

It's things like having tickets and security barriers and stuff like that that worries me, I've only ever used Northern Rail from Aycliffe to Middlesbrough once or twice which is totally different as I just buy a ticket on the train where with major train routes you can't, some places I think you even need a ticket just to get through barriers.
Tom   06 Jan 2015, 5:41 pm
(06 Jan 2015, 5:35 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote I reckon you could do that all in one day, if it were nearly all trains. I'll try and make something up for you. Smile

Trains would be nice, but I would like buses too Smile

Thanks for that - let me know what you come up with.
R852 PRG   06 Jan 2015, 5:52 pm
(06 Jan 2015, 5:41 pm)Tom wrote Trains would be nice, but I would like buses too Smile

Thanks for that - let me know what you come up with.

#1 - Rosehill to Pilgrim Street
(07:35 --- 08:07) - Go North East
East Coast - NCL to BWK
(08:42 --- 09:32) - Virgin East Coast
CrossCountry - BWK to EDB
(10:21 --- 11:11) - CrossCountry
ScotRail - EDB to GQS
(11:45 --- 12:37) - First ScotRail
Walk to Glasgow Central
ScotRail - GGC to DMF
(13:12 --- 14:56) - First ScotRail
#79 - Dumfries to Carlisle
(16:10 --- 17:52) - Stagecoach NW
ScotRail - CAR to NCL
(18:37 --- 20:14) - First ScotRail
#1A - Market Street East to Rosehill
(20:46 --- 21:10) - Go North East
Tom   06 Jan 2015, 5:54 pm
(06 Jan 2015, 5:52 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote #1 - Rosehill to Pilgrim Street
East Coast - NCL to BWK
ScotRail - EDB to GQS
Walk to Glasgow Central
ScotRail - GGC to DMF
ScotRail - CAR to NCL

That sounds great - cheers! 
Like the variety of train operators. 
Might do that in a year or so Smile
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Adrian   06 Jan 2015, 6:20 pm
I wouldn't be doing Hull by bus. You're looking at about 11 hours of travel time alone!

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Tommy1581   07 Jan 2015, 4:44 pm
(06 Jan 2015, 5:52 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote #1 - Rosehill to Pilgrim Street
East Coast - NCL to BWK
ScotRail - EDB to GQS
Walk to Glasgow Central
ScotRail - GGC to DMF
ScotRail - CAR to NCL

The Carlisle to Newcastle rail service is operated by Northern on behalf of First ScotRail using FSR Class 156s.
Malarkey   08 Jan 2015, 6:56 pm
Today outing involved handing out CVs in Bars and Restuarants in Durham, Gateshead and Newcastle with a little bit of Bus Spotting whilst walking about in between.

08:35 - 83 - 8260 - Lambton to Birtley
Nice little ride on probably the most reliable Cadet in the GNE Fleet, its often I gave praise or enjoy a journey on one of these Vehicles but 8260 is a cracking bus.

08:57 - 21 - 3962 - Birtley to Chester le Street
Another rather short journey and quite an enjoyable one at that, I think 3962 has just stole the crown for best B7TL Gemini in the GNE Fleet from 3943 in my Opinion, I have often said here on NEB that 3943 is decent Vehicle compared to its sisters.

09:46 - 21 - 6060 - Chester le Street to Durham
Not that enjoyable to be brutally honest, the Next Stop Annoucements were rather Loud compared to Normal and this Fat Lass, God Knows how she managed to get up stairs didnt stop pissing and moaning about this that and the other to this old bloke sitting near to where she was sitting, I was overjoyed when she got off at Framwellgate otherwise I would probably ended giving her a Superman Punch straight on end of her Jaw.

11:07 - 43 - 5295 - Durham to Stanley Bus Station
For a Overly Warm Bus as the Driver has the Heating on full whack, this was a Loverly Journey along a rather scenic Route, Would highly recommend trying get some Photos between Durham and Sacriston on the Country Lanes, as the scenery in the Background is simply Breathtaking, on this occasion I opted not to get along several points of route as I didnt feel the Lighting Conditions were great given how low the Sun is at this time of Year, But I would highly recommend it during the Summer Months which is I what I am planning on doing, I was going stop on until the MetroCentre but opted to get off with it being to Hot and me being quite Hungry.

Walk from Stanley Bus Station to Stanley Bus Depot
Its a canny walk isnt it, its like me walking from My House at Lambton to Washington Galleries, the Reason for this was to try and get a Photo of the Olympian with the Paladin front end as it wasnt parked up in the Bus Station, Unfortunately it was a wasted walk as it wasnt visible in the Depot, otherwise it may of likely of been parked up in Consett.

12:00 - X31 - 3887 - Stanley Depot to Stanley Bus Station
Yet another short hop, again another fine Bus sounding great despite being 14 Years Old but nevertheless I have always had a soft spot for these 51reg Tridents.

12:29 - X30 - 3832 - Stanley Bus Station to Gateshead
An Olympic sprint was involved to catch this Olympian having decided to attempt to take some Photos just down the Asda at the Traffic Lights, caught it only just and as result I have a Blister on my Foot but it was all worth it for what might of been my last on these wonderful Machines.

13:12 - Q1 - 8312 - Gateshead to The Sage
Just me and the Driver on this Short Trip to hand out Several CVs along the Quayside, nothing special to note.

14:26 - Q1 - 8313 - Newcastle Quayside to Gray Street
Several Passengers on this Journey up a Steep Hill, which I really CBA walking up as I am Lazy.

14:58 - 10 - 6079 - The Gate to The MetroCentre
Going over Redheugh Bridge was quite enjoyable with the Wind rocking the Bus from Side to Side, quite surprised the Driver didnt take an Alternate Route to The MetroCentre

16:05 - X66 - 5341 - The MetroCentre to Gateshead
Nothing New really as this short route is always a Dull one with zero excitement.
16:20 - X1 - 6002 - Gateshead to Washington Galleries
The novelty of getting on this Service has worn off to a point where I dont find the Journey that enjoyable, and I am sure other may feel the same regardless of the whether there on a nice B9TL or not.

17:35 - 82 - 8250 - Washington Galleries to Lambton
Yawn couldnt wait to get back in the House to put my feet, by this point I was even concentrating on the Performance of the Vehicle to even give it a half decent review, although I was slightly afraid in case I ended up getting cremated whilst on board, as most of you should be aware 8250 suffered an Engine Bay Fire in 2014, good job I sat near the front so I could get off quickly if worst came to the worst.
Tom   08 Jan 2015, 7:11 pm
3823 doesn't have the Palatine front anymore.

Sounds like a good trip though, and hope you have luck finding jobs.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Jimmi   08 Jan 2015, 7:28 pm
Much of the Diamond 43 route has good scenery.
I plan to get some photos along the 43 route in the summer when lighting conditions are better.

At the moment I may have a trip on some buses on Teesside on Saturday as I haven't taken many photos there recently, although according to the weather app on the lock screen of my phone it says it is going to rain. I may make it my last trip for a little while or at least cut down on the amount of trips I make maybe until maybe the end of March as I have a few other things coming up and I want to save some money. I hope to make more trips in the summer when the weather is better and there is more hours of daylight which means I will be able to stay out later.
R852 PRG   09 Jan 2015, 9:31 pm
My plans for tomorrow will include the hopes of riding one of those new Enviro200s on the 64, as well as the ever challenging Olympian hunt! Wouldn't mind a run to Bishop Auckland and back, I might do this...

#21 - Chester to Durham
(10:30 --- 10:53)
#64 - Durham to Arnison Centre
(11:07 --- 11:26)
#50 - Arnison Centre to Durham
(11:40 --- 11:53)
#6 - Durham to Bishop Auckland
(12:09 --- 12:49) *
#X21 - Bishop Auckland to Durham
(13:04 --- 13:39)
#44 - Durham to Stanley
(13:50 --- 14:21)
#78 - Stanley to Chester
(14:30 --- 15:04)
#21 - Chester to Home
(15:15 --- 15:20)

* I've never used Service 6 before, could somebody tell me the fare for a single for the journey I've mentioned (Durham - Bishop)? Smile
Jimmi   09 Jan 2015, 9:41 pm
(09 Jan 2015, 9:31 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote My plans for tomorrow will include the hopes of riding one of those new Enviro200s on the 64, as well as the ever challenging Olympian hunt! Wouldn't mind a run to Bishop Auckland and back

Looks good.

Although if you back a particular 64 journey you may be sadly disappointed as I think there is still only 3 in service at the moment and last week I was stood at the Arnison Centre waiting ages for one to appear.

No idea how much a single fare is on the 6.
Dan   09 Jan 2015, 9:44 pm
(09 Jan 2015, 9:41 pm)Jimmi wrote Although if you back a particular 64 journey you may be sadly disappointed as I think there is still only 3 in service at the moment and last week I was stood at the Arnison Centre waiting ages for one to appear.

Think four are out now, and the fifth is ready to enter service too.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
R852 PRG   09 Jan 2015, 9:45 pm
(09 Jan 2015, 9:41 pm)Jimmi wrote Looks good.

Although if you back a particular 64 journey you may be sadly disappointed as I think there is still only 3 in service at the moment and last week I was stood at the Arnison Centre waiting ages for one to appear.

No idea how much a single fare is on the 6.

Thanks! Smile

I'm not too bothered if one doesn't show up - I am a sadistic bus enthusiast, I loved the DAFs, I may fall in love with them Darts and have an affair! [emoji57]
Jimmi   09 Jan 2015, 9:47 pm
(09 Jan 2015, 9:45 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Thanks! Smile

I'm not too bothered if one doesn't show up - I am a sadistic bus enthusiast, I loved the DAFs, I may fall in love with them Darts and have an affair! [emoji57]

There must be something wrong with you if you like them Darts.

Hope more of the Enviro 200s have entered service, seemed like most were still Darts on Wednesday morning.
Pages (159)    147 48 49159