Menu

Pages (102)    164 65 66102   
Malarkey   24 Dec 2014, 5:29 pm
Just a thought I have just had on Go North East taking on the Quaylink Commercially in 2015, why didnt they just do the below to make it less of Commercial Risk to the Company going forward.

53/54 - Newcastle City Centre - Quayside - Baltic - The Sage - Gateshead Interchange - Coatsworth Road - Saltwell Park - Bensham Road - Newcastle City Centre

Replaces the Q1

Q2 - Great Park - Regent Centre - Gosforth - Newcastle City Centre - Quayside - Ouseburn - St Peters Basin

Replaces the X40
L469 YVK   24 Dec 2014, 10:10 pm
For Cobalt Express service X39, instead of cutting the 309 (1xAM and 3xPM) and 310 (2xAM and 3xPM that terminate at Norham Road and operate the 309 between Cobalt and Newcastle in lieu of the 309's providing the X39), would it not be easier to withdraw 58x and just use the Citylink Versas for the X39 (exact same route to Haymarket) rejoining at either Hadrian Park or Grainger Street or John Street according to the time of day.
L469 YVK   26 Dec 2014, 11:03 pm
And here's my Boxing Day suggestions for Northumberland next year then:

- Service X32 operating every hour with a PVR of 2 TTX Gemini's from Riverside Depot. Buses would serve the same route as the X21 between Ashington and Bedlington Red Lion then from Bedlington Red Lion to Newcastle, follow the same route as the X22.

- Service X24 operating every hour interworking with Cobalt Clipper service 309 with an additional 2 extra buses allocated to the Boxing Day 1/309/310 board. Buses would operate via the X10 route to Laverock Hall Road then the X11 route from there to Newcastle. One 309 per hour out of the 2 half hourly journeys would interwork with the X24.
L469 YVK   27 Dec 2014, 11:05 am
And what else GNE could do on Boxing Days in absence of the 309 running via the 308 route (except serving Battle Hill) is reroute the Boxing Day 310 to operate right to the top of Norham Road, the turn left and run along Silver Fox Way to Cobalt Central then turn left at the Cobalt Central Roundabout then down Cobalt Park Way before turning right back onto Middle Engine Lane at Atmel. The detour would only add about 2-3 mins onto the journey and with the exception of Accenture, Santander and the Village Hotel which could still be accessed with a 10-15 mimute walk, it would give workers a better bus to Cobalt on Boxing Days.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
MurdnunoC   27 Dec 2014, 1:23 pm
(27 Dec 2014, 11:05 am)DaveyBowyer wrote And what else GNE could do on Boxing Days in absence of the 309 running via the 308 route (except serving Battle Hill) is reroute the Boxing Day 310 to operate right to the top of Norham Road, the  turn left and run along Silver Fox Way to Cobalt Central then turn left at the Cobalt Central Roundabout then down Cobalt Park Way before turning right back onto Middle Engine Lane at Atmel. The detour would only add about 2-3 mins onto the journey and with the exception of Accenture, Santander and the Village Hotel which could still be accessed with a 10-15 mimute walk, it would give workers a better bus to Cobalt on Boxing Days
Is there a pressing need for buses to the Cobalt on Boxing Day?
I imagine most of the offices there will be closed with the exception of one or two places. 
L469 YVK   27 Dec 2014, 3:14 pm
(27 Dec 2014, 1:23 pm)MurdnunoC wrote Is there a pressing need for buses to the Cobalt on Boxing Day?
I imagine most of the offices there will be closed with the exception of one or two places. 
EE, Santander (possible), Village Hotel, Newcastle Building Society (possible), Silverlink Car Dealerships and perhaps Accenture. It wouln't go through the bus link or anything. Do you know the way the old Centurion 75 went between New York Roundabout and Middle Engine Lane / Cobalt South? That is the way the 310 could go by running straight tothe top of Norham Road insted of turning onto Middle Engine Lane.
Tom   27 Dec 2014, 7:35 pm
I think it would be great if Go North East could introduce a new X8 service from Sunderland to Bishop Auckland.

It would increase the frequency of services to every 30 minutes from Sunderland to Peterlee along the fast route, and also provide new links from Sunderland to Bishop Auckland.

However, what would be the best route for the service to take?
MrFozz   27 Dec 2014, 7:41 pm
(27 Dec 2014, 7:35 pm)Tom wrote I think it would be great if Go North East could introduce a new X8 service from Sunderland to Bishop Auckland.

It would increase the frequency of services to every 30 minutes from Sunderland to Peterlee along the fast route, and also provide new links from Sunderland to Bishop Auckland.

However, what would be the best route for the service to take?

Already been done in the form of the X20, that was Sunderland-Houghton-Durham-Spennymoor-Bishop Auckland

I am guessin your idea would look something like

Sunderland-Seaham-Peterlee-Shotton-Thornley-Wheatley Hill-Quarrington Hill-Coxhoe-Spennymoor-Bishop Auckland
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Tom   27 Dec 2014, 8:09 pm
(27 Dec 2014, 7:41 pm)MrFozz wrote Already been done in the form of the X20, that was Sunderland-Houghton-Durham-Spennymoor-Bishop Auckland

Sunderland-Seaham-Peterlee-Shotton-Thornley-Wheatley Hill-Quarrington Hill-Coxhoe-Spennymoor-Bishop Auckland

Yeah not a bad idea - I was thinking maybe Peterlee-Wingate-Sedgefield-Ferryhill-Bishop Auckland too. 
Jimmi   27 Dec 2014, 8:36 pm
(27 Dec 2014, 7:41 pm)MrFozz wrote Already been done in the form of the X20, that was Sunderland-Houghton-Durham-Spennymoor-Bishop Auckland

Not a bad idea, problem being the 22 runs hourly from Sunderland to Wheatley Hill then it would be following the same route as the Scarlet Band 58 to Coxhoe, can't remember the Quarrington Hill to Coxhoe section of Scarlet Band's 58 very well then would this suggestion go via West Cornforth or via the A688 to head to DurhamGate and Spennymoor
(27 Dec 2014, 8:09 pm)Tom wrote Yeah not a bad idea - I was thinking maybe Peterlee-Wingate-Sedgefield-Ferryhill-Bishop Auckland too. 
Probably better to have two buses to/from Wingate to Sunderland rather than have one via Wheatley Hill especially since the 22 was rerouted to serve Sunderland. Problems with this one being it would be following the combined half hourly 21/21A between Peterlee and Sedgefield and to serve Sedgefield you would be pretty much going back on the route to reach Ferryhill also this would be the same as the Scarlet Band 33 which doesn't get many passengers and is supported by Durham County Council or what you could run via the A689 between Sedgefield and Rushyford then either run via Chilton to reach Ferryhill then either via Coundon (same way as the 56) or via Spennymoor (same way as 113) to reach Bishop Auckland or instead of serving Ferryhill continue down the A689 and run direct to Bishop Auckland from Sedgefield.
Tom   27 Dec 2014, 8:43 pm
(27 Dec 2014, 8:36 pm)Jimmi wrote Not a bad idea, problem being the 22 runs hourly from Sunderland to Wheatley Hill then it would be following the same route as the Scarlet Band 58 to Coxhoe, can't remember the Quarrington Hill to Coxhoe section of Scarlet Band's 58 very well then would this suggestion go via West Cornforth or via the A688 to head to DurhamGate and Spennymoor
Probably better to have two buses to/from Wingate to Sunderland rather than have one via Wheatley Hill especially since the 22 was rerouted to serve Sunderland. Problems with this one being it would be following the combined half hourly 21/21A between Peterlee and Sedgefield and to serve Sedgefield you would be pretty much going back on the route to reach Ferryhill also this would be the same as the Scarlet Band 33 which doesn't get many passengers and is supported by Durham County Council or what you could run via the A689 between Sedgefield and Rushyford then either run via Chilton to reach Ferryhill then either via Coundon (same way as the 56) or via Spennymoor (same way as 113) to reach Bishop Auckland or instead of serving Ferryhill continue down the A689 and run direct to Bishop Auckland from Sedgefield.

Aye that sounds better - would passenger numbers be good though?
Jimmi   27 Dec 2014, 8:47 pm
(27 Dec 2014, 8:43 pm)Tom wrote Aye that sounds better - would passenger numbers be good though?

Not sure, but I don't think it would unfortunately.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
MrFozz   27 Dec 2014, 9:11 pm
I am with lil Vic on this one, cant see it being massively used...

I would not take it as far as Sedgefield...

How about Sunderland-Dalton Park-A19-Peterlee-A19-Wingate-The Trimdons-Kelloe-Doggy-Spenny-Bishop... or

Sunderland-Ryhope-A19-Dalton Park-Murton Station-Easington Lane-Haswell-Shotton-Wingate then what I suggested above

Both would probably would probably take a while though, run it mostly as an express, keeping to the main bus stops in each place...

Does GNE still have the OK brand in Bishop, would love to see that name back in East Durham???
Jimmi   27 Dec 2014, 9:18 pm
(27 Dec 2014, 9:11 pm)MrFozz wrote I am with lil Vic on this one, cant see it being massively used...

I would not take it as far as Sedgefield...

How about Sunderland-Dalton Park-A19-Peterlee-A19-Wingate-The Trimdons-Kelloe-Doggy-Spenny-Bishop... or

Sunderland-Ryhope-A19-Dalton Park-Murton Station-Easington Lane-Haswell-Shotton-Wingate then what I suggested above

Both would probably would probably take a while though, run it mostly as an express, keeping to the main bus stops in each place...

Does GNE still have the OK brand in Bishop, would love to see that name back in East Durham???

Still don't think they would pick up much custom.

Maybe it could run same as X7 between Sunderland and Station Town and 21/21A route between Peterlee and Fishburn then run via Bishop Middleham to Ferryhill but would probably not be good for passenger numbers either.

They still have The OK Way around Bishop Auckland on service 18.
MrFozz   27 Dec 2014, 9:29 pm
(27 Dec 2014, 9:18 pm)Jimmi wrote Still don't think they would pick up much custom.

Maybe it could run same as X7 between Sunderland and Station Town and 21/21A route between Peterlee and Fishburn then run via Bishop Middleham to Ferryhill but would probably not be good for passenger numbers either.

They still have The OK Way around Bishop Auckland on service 18.

I partly agree with you mate...

It would not be used by people going the full route, based on my suggestions it may be used for hops from say Sunderland-Haswell and Trimdon/Coxhoe/Doggy to Spenny/Bishop..

People from Sunderland would not generally go all the way Bishop and vice versa, put, say, Dalton Park on the route, and that may get custom from different places along the route.

While in theory, it looks a good idea, putting it into practice is a whole different story, the X20 ended up being pulled, it did not last 5 minutes.
Jimmi   27 Dec 2014, 9:43 pm
(27 Dec 2014, 9:29 pm)MrFozz wrote I partly agree with you mate...

It would not be used by people going the full route, based on my suggestions it may be used for hops from say Sunderland-Haswell and Trimdon/Coxhoe/Doggy to Spenny/Bishop..

People from Sunderland would not generally go all the way Bishop and vice versa, put, say, Dalton Park on the route, and that may get custom from different places along the route.

While in theory, it looks a good idea, putting it into practice is a whole different story, the X20 ended up being pulled, it did not last 5 minutes.

It could maybe pick up some passengers for short hops, I've seen a fair few passengers on the Scarlet Band 112 from Spennymoor to West Cornforth but it is still unpredictable how many passengers it would pick up.

The X20 probably failed because most of the passengers didn't travel from the Bishop to Durham section through to Sunderland and most that did will have been concession pass holders.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Davie   28 Dec 2014, 12:15 am
i'd like to see a more frequent bus service between Wrekenton and Chester Le Street
Tom   28 Dec 2014, 11:04 am
(28 Dec 2014, 12:15 am)Davie wrote i'd like to see a more frequent bus service  between  Wrekenton and Chester Le Street

Isn't three buses per hour enough?
Adam   28 Dec 2014, 11:57 am
(28 Dec 2014, 11:04 am)Tom wrote Isn't three buses per hour enough?

Yes
Davie   28 Dec 2014, 12:19 pm
(28 Dec 2014, 11:04 am)Tom wrote Isn't three buses per hour enough?

yes, but if you miss one yiu have to wait half a hour
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Jimmi   28 Dec 2014, 12:28 pm
(28 Dec 2014, 12:19 pm)Davie wrote yes, but if you miss one yiu have to wait half a hour

The odd person missing a bus doesn't mean the service should be increased in frequency.

I have services on 30 minute frequency and if I miss them I have to wait until the next one turns up, it is annoying but there is nothing else can be done.

I not from the area but from what I've seen / heard there is little chance of more buses running between these two points than what currently does.
MrFozz   28 Dec 2014, 1:49 pm
(28 Dec 2014, 12:19 pm)Davie wrote yes, but if you miss one yiu have to wait half a hour
Thats a shame...If I miss to Durham, I got to wait an hour [emoji14]
Andreos1   28 Dec 2014, 2:01 pm
If I miss a 20, it's anyone's guess how long I have to wait! Wink

Seriously though, Wrekenton - Chester only had two buses an hour until the 28 was introduced. The 725 (X25) and 726 were both hourly services for a long time.
I can't see many doing Wrekenton - Chester on the 28 and the fluctuating numbers on the X25 have been discussed in the past.

Out of curiosity, which way would you have it go Davie?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Adrian   28 Dec 2014, 2:30 pm

You've also got the option of getting the 1 down the bank to Harlow Green, and jumping on the 21 or X2? Not ideal, but you then have 8 buses an hour to Chester le Street. 

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Davie   28 Dec 2014, 2:44 pm
(28 Dec 2014, 2:30 pm)aureolin wrote You've also got the option of getting the 1 down the bank to Harlow Green, and jumping on the 21 or X2? Not ideal, but you then have 8 buses an hour to Chester le Street. 

aye good point, I think it would be good to have more direct services
MrFozz   28 Dec 2014, 2:44 pm
Thinking of Davies suggestion...

How about reroute the X21 through Wrekenton, but keeping it to Newcastle make it limited stop from Chester, stopping only once in each place with not much else in between

Chester-Birtley-Angel of the North-Eighton Bank-Wrekenton-QE Hospital-Gateshead Interchange-Newcastle
Davie   28 Dec 2014, 3:17 pm
(28 Dec 2014, 2:44 pm)MrFozz wrote Thinking of Davies suggestion...

How about reroute the X21 through Wrekenton, but keeping it to Newcastle make it limited stop from Chester, stopping only once in each place with not much else in between

Chester-Birtley-Angel of the North-Eighton Bank-Wrekenton-QE Hospital-Gateshead Interchange-Newcastle

that's a great idea
Jimmi   28 Dec 2014, 3:52 pm
(28 Dec 2014, 2:44 pm)MrFozz wrote Thinking of Davies suggestion...

Wouldn't this make the X21 a hell of alot longer, if so I hate this idea because the main selling point of the X21 is it being a fast direct service to Newcastle and is faster than the 21 and making the X21 take a longer route would put people off and may lose custom to the Arriva X2. The other week I got the 21 from Chester to Newcastle and by the time we got through Birtley I was that sick of my life I started banging my head against the headrest (NOT JOKING!)
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Malarkey   28 Dec 2014, 4:30 pm
C1 - Beamish - Grange Villa - Pelton Fell - Chester le Street - Chester le Street Hospital - Durham Cricket Ground - Chester le Street Golf Club - Lumley Castle

28 - Langley Park - Witton Gilbert - Sacriston - Nettlesworth - Chester Moor - Chester le Street - Barley Mow - Portobello - Eighton Banks - Wrekenton - Q.E. Hospital - Gateshead - Newcastle

28A - Langley Park - Witton Gilbert - Sacriston - Nettlesworth - Chester Moor - Chester le Street - Birtley - Kibblesworth - Wrekenton - Gateshead - Newcastle

34/34A - Edmondsley - Waldridge Park - Chester le Street - South Pelaw - Perkinsville - Ouston - Urpeth Grange
gtom   28 Dec 2014, 6:02 pm
(28 Dec 2014, 4:30 pm)Malarkey wrote 28 - Langley Park - Witton Gilbert - Sacriston - Nettlesworth - Chester Moor - Chester le Street - Barley Mow - Portobello - Eighton Banks - Wrekenton - Q.E. Hospital - Gateshead - Newcastle

28 a non starter. You've removed Birtleys link to the QE which would not go down well.

Re Wrekenton-Chester. Along with the 1 you've also got the option of the 23 connecting at Birtley or Washington (hourly) other Washington services the free Sainsburys bus (to Harlow green) and the 51 to Kells Lane to the Angel. It couldn't be easier to get there.

X21 uses Birtley a lot of the time anyway with the current chaos on the A1. Though Birtley certainly doesn't need additional services with the 21, 28s and x2 providing suitable duties.

Same with wrekenton. How many more buses does a small town in gateshead need?!
Pages (102)    164 65 66102