You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Stagecoach North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2014

Stagecoach North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2014

Site Administrator
RE: Stagecoach North East - Latest
(24 May 2014, 5:19 pm)Dan wrote On another note, two further gas buses were delivered to Sunderland today. These vehicles are again currently unregistered, and are presently housed at the back of the depot. The first three gas buses to arrive are now tucked up inside of the sheds (as we saw in one of my terrible mobile phone shots the other day), so cannot be photographed any more.

Managed to upload the photo to Flickr this morning...

[Image: 14094136247_4f9116a4d5.jpg]
See full sized version here.
They must of known us enthusiasts would be around everyday to try and get pictures, hence why they are hidden away Tongue
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
A total of six new (unregistered) gas buses were visible at the Wheatsheaf this afternoon. Unusually, most of the workshops were either open or could be seen into - so unless they have any hidden away in the enclosed section behind the fueling station, it looks like just the six have arrived so far.
(27 May 2014, 10:20 pm)stagecoachbusdepot wrote A total of six new (unregistered) gas buses were visible at the Wheatsheaf this afternoon. Unusually, most of the workshops were either open or could be seen into - so unless they have any hidden away in the enclosed section behind the fueling station, it looks like just the six have arrived so far.

Thanks for the update =)
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Stagecoach has updated their timetable style on the 5/5A timetable - http://www.stagecoachbus.com/pdfs/XMAO005.pdf

they have added that the timetable is valid from 29 May 2011 until 21 Jun 2014

All should go like that soon, i would think.

Edit: Just noticed it includes the bank holiday timetable - and changes from the 22nd June... not confusing at all
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(28 May 2014, 10:46 am)Dan wrote Looks hideous, in my opinion. So confusing to read.

Ye, not sure why they didn't just change the style after all the changes happened on the 22nd, would of being easier to read and not too confusing
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(28 May 2014, 10:46 am)Dan wrote Looks hideous, in my opinion. So confusing to read.

It looks like its being changed back to its old style, wonder if they were testing to see what it was like on their site.

I like the current style.

Wonder though, if SC Sun could have a pic of the gas buses on the 3,13,16 and 20 timetables.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Tiny detail regarding Stockton current interworking with 36/38, talking with a Union representative today and there are some background changes taking place on Sunday 15th June which is likely to see the services revert to stand alone.
(28 May 2014, 1:29 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Tiny detail regarding Stockton current interworking with 36/38, talking with a Union representative today and there are some background changes taking place on Sunday 15th June which is likely to see the services revert to stand alone.

Is that good or bad?, sorry not from the area
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(28 May 2014, 1:47 pm)AIG20 wrote I guess the main advantage is that it would decrease the chance of MAN ALX300s working on the 36, and MAN E300s working on the 38.

Oh right, does that mean they could withdraw a few of the ALX300's?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(28 May 2014, 1:47 pm)AIG20 wrote I guess the main advantage is that it would decrease the chance of MAN ALX300s working on the 36, and MAN E300s working on the 38.

Wrong - that can happen regardless. One point to consider is the end of layovers at Park End and therefore end of a Trident or Olympian on there on school days (and end of a school working on the front of a 36 and end of a 36/38).
(28 May 2014, 2:02 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Wrong - that can happen regardless. One point to consider is the end of layovers at Park End and therefore end of a Trident or Olympian on there on school days (and end of a school working on the front of a 36 and end of a 36/38).

I would agree with AIG. Surely if they go back to being stand alone then the Enviros are no more likely to appear on the 38s than on any other service they might pop up on.
(28 May 2014, 4:14 pm)AIG20 wrote I've just been surfing through Flickr and according to "mdw9121", the first two gas buses of the new batch have been registered which are "YR14 CFX" and "YR14 CFU" - apparently with no spaces, which is a bit of an error.

Here is the image below:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/williamsonm/14287258621/

Thanks the link, =)
Wonder why they have no spaces, does it matter though (not known much about bus reg plates)
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(28 May 2014, 4:30 pm)AIG20 wrote I think it all depends on the DVLA and how sensitive the tracking devices are in Police Cars. Smile

However, it would be interesting to see a bus pulled over. Though I wouldn't want to be the driver if that did happen. Tongue

Didn't think about that, Thanks for the info =)

Tongue, would be an interesting sighting!

Shouldn't take long for the first 10 to be out in service, would say middle of next week, if they fit all the reg plates etc soon as they arrive, if of course the first 10 are here and taxed =)
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(28 May 2014, 4:46 pm)AIG20 wrote I hope they enter service asap as well, as it will allow the displaced MAN ALX300s to be dealt with before the other 13 arrive, as I don't think Sunderland have enough room to store 23 withdrawn buses.

Don't think they do, not sure on their limit for the depot?

Least the first 10 will go to scrap and other movements can take place

Also Richard made this post about movements etc -

(04 May 2014, 12:03 pm)Richard Smiles wrote Michael, there is currently an allocation of 27 MANs at Sunderland
15 Non-DDA, 12-DDA.

The 15 Non-DDA compliant vehicles will clearly be wiped out with the arrival of the GAS Buses, together with a further 8 out of 12 of the DDA Compliant vehicles (220xx) tallying 23, so at least 4 of the 220xx will have to be retained to make up the current balance of 27.

I do wonder however whether 6 of the 220xx batch will be retained at Sunderland in order to release & replace a couple of 351xx Darts to Hartlepool to replace the two lost reserves 33488 & 33492. Clearly something is needed otherwise why send 33101? in the first place.

As for the rest, they will probably end up at Stockton, so that when the bids go in for Next year, Stagecoach NE can say we have 12 non-DDA vehicles at Newcastle (Slatyford), that need replacing.

Just to add Michael, if you have a look at the Busways (Inside) Fleet Card PDF. The non-DDA compliant vehicles are highlighted in a light yellow background.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(28 May 2014, 4:14 pm)AIG20 wrote I've just been surfing through Flickr and according to "mdw9121", the first two gas buses of the new batch have been registered which are "YR14 CFX" and "YR14 CFU" - apparently with no spaces, which is a bit of an error.

Here is the image below:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/williamsonm/14287258621/

Neither registration can be found on the GOV.UK vehicle enquiry website, nor did either of those vehicles carry registration plates today... Huh
Site Administrator
(28 May 2014, 5:09 pm)Michael wrote Might of just being done then?

Scrap that - I can get it to work now...

Still... Neither of those vehicles carried registrations today.
(28 May 2014, 5:15 pm)Dan wrote Scrap that - I can get it to work now...

Still... Neither vehicle carried registrations today.

Must be working fast!

I wonder if any more has being done since the pic was took.

What time do the engineers normally work to?... work to?, every time i see them they're sitting around!
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(28 May 2014, 5:16 pm)Michael wrote Must be working fast!

What time do the engineers normally work to?... work to?, every time i see them they're sitting around!

There was no engineers out the back of the depot fifteen minutes ago, but they were refuelling some of the original batch of gas buses.

Second shutter was still open too, but nothing inside.
Site Administrator
On a quick search, the registrations which are so far taxed are as follows:

- YR14 CFP
- YR14 CFU
- YR14 CFV
- YR14 CFX
(28 May 2014, 5:16 pm)Michael wrote Must be working fast!

The caption on that photo says it was taken yesterday. Certainly none of the six visible at the depot yesterday evening had registrations (from the brightness of the pic looks like it was taken earlier in the day than when I was there). One of the unregistered ones I saw yesterday evening was in w/shop 22 so presumably, those the two in that photo have been moved inside elsewhere, or the plates were removed pretty swiftly yesterday.
Always wondered this one stagecoach have E1 E2 and then E6. Now I know there was an E3 at some point but what happened to E4 or E5 did they ever exist?? If not why not? I might not be right but is E6 or was a rival to Catch a bus services number 6. Help!!
Slightly wrong info on Economics given then

Services E1 and E2 are both original. Started 26 october 1986 on deregulation day.

Service E6 came next. Yes in competition with catch a bus 6 that started in january 1987 but ran simonside to sunderland missing out south shields town centre. Service E6 was introduced later to compete but only between Marsden and Sunderland and services turned back at Marsden Inn.

Service E3 started later following Tyne and Wear Omnibus route X2 which operated Biddick Hall to South Shields to Sunderland to Thorney Close. E3 operated just south shields to sunderland.

Service E6 was withdrawn a couple of times and reinvented itself later when Redby Travel started 506 from South Shields to Sunderland. Also competing services 507 and 508 local. Marsden routes.

Those were the days when south shields actually had competing services not like nowadays.
(28 May 2014, 6:53 pm)Acky81 wrote Always wondered this one stagecoach have E1 E2 and then E6. Now I know there was an E3 at some point but what happened to E4 or E5 did they ever exist?? If not why not? I might not be right but is E6 or was a rival to Catch a bus services number 6. Help!!

The E1/E2 were originally the 505/506 and 538/539 service.

The E3 was put on to run Sunderland to South Shields in front of Tyne and Wear Omnibus Company X2 service, The E3 was originally a mix up with spare buses from Shields depot (minibuses were on their aswell) but when TWOC was bought by Northern and sold to Busways, busways withdrew the E3 service and had to run the X2 for a lengthy period then withdrew the X2, later in life the E3 was resurrected again and operated by Leyland lynxs from shields depot.

The E6 was put on a few times, one time with Bristol buses then later on in life with Dart buses, Busways tried to buy Catch a Bus out a few times and even when Stagecoach bought Busways out, their still tried to buy Catch A Bus out, but eventually Stagecoach got tired and start ploughing load of buses in front of Catch a Bus services in South Shields and service 6 to Sunderland and Catch a Bus bus services were running empty by Stagecoach tatics with a lot cheaper fares even though the Stagecoach buses were making aloss at least Stagecoach Busways got what their wanted in the end.

Wouldn't mind seeing Stagecoach operating a service E5 between Sunderland and South Shields along the 35 route and also maybe extending the service to Houghton, but it will never come as Stagecoach are too happy raking in the money of their own Sunderland territory.

Re: RE: Stagecoach North East - Latest
(28 May 2014, 7:45 pm)ifm001 wrote Slightly wrong info on Economics given then

Services E1 and E2 are both original. Started 26 october 1986 on deregulation day.

Service E6 came next. Yes in competition with catch a bus 6 that started in january 1987 but ran simonside to sunderland missing out south shields town centre. Service E6 was introduced later to compete but only between Marsden and Sunderland and services turned back at Marsden Inn.

Service E3 started later following Tyne and Wear Omnibus route X2 which operated Biddick Hall to South Shields to Sunderland to Thorney Close. E3 operated just south shields to sunderland.

Service E6 was withdrawn a couple of times and reinvented itself later when Redby Travel started 506 from South Shields to Sunderland. Also competing services 507 and 508 local. Marsden routes.

Those were the days when south shields actually had competing services not like nowadays.

The only real major changes to the E has been the swapping of routes in seaburn so the E6 serves Dykelands Road instead of Sea Road and the opposite for the E2
(28 May 2014, 8:02 pm)mrnut85 wrote The only real major changes to the E has been the swapping of routes in seaburn so the E6 serves Dykelands Road instead of Sea Road and the opposite for the E2

That change was great Big Grin speeded up journeys I think.

But I heard a rumour that it was something to do with the corners and certain buses? Don't know how true it is.
(28 May 2014, 4:07 pm)Roland Pratt wrote I would agree with AIG. Surely if they go back to being stand alone then the Enviros are no more likely to appear on the 38s than on any other service they might pop up on.

I should have made myself more clear earlier but difficult when typing on a phone - that first comment refers more to the ALX300s on the 36 than the E300s appearing on the 38. Of course, if we end up with a situation where more than 2 of the E300s are off the road or fail first use check then obviously the ALX300s will be thrown out on the 36 of course that tends to happen more towards the end of the morning (first vehicle for the 36 leaves the depart about 5am, last one nearer to half 7).