Menu

Pages (10)    17 8 9 10   
tyresmoke   19 Feb 2016, 8:54 pm
(19 Feb 2016, 8:10 pm)X8X9X10 wrote Speaking of the X21/X22, is there a reason these aren't MAX services? It seems strange that most of the other intercity services out of Newcastle (to Blyth/Ashington (X20)/Alnwick/etc) are MAX while this service is Sapphire.

I get that the buses have power and next stop announcements which aren't on other Newcastle MAX services but it seems strange to distinguish one route. I could understand if it was the most frequent service to/from Newcastle but there are others as often as this one.

Yup, Arriva NE decided to Sapphire the X21/X22 as an upgrade to one of the busiest commuter services into Newcastle, as it is investment from outside of their own budget whilst Sapphire is/was a pilot project by Arriva UK and DB itself. MAX was designed later by ANE/Yorkshire together to improve longer distance services, and has been implemented on most inter urban services across the two regions now (still being done in Yorkshire) as a great way of growing usage.
L469 YVK   19 Feb 2016, 8:56 pm
(19 Feb 2016, 8:10 pm)X8X9X10 wrote Speaking of the X21/X22, is there a reason these aren't MAX services? It seems strange that most of the other intercity services out of Newcastle (to Blyth/Ashington (X20)/Alnwick/etc) are MAX while this service is Sapphire.

I get that the buses have power and next stop announcements which aren't on other Newcastle MAX services but it seems strange to distinguish one route. I could understand if it was the most frequent service to/from Newcastle but there are others as often as this one.
If I personally was to follow GNE's example irrespective of Sapphire or MAX brands, this is how I would have the Northuberland express services bar the X16 specificed:

P= Power
U = USB
C3 = High Back Civic V3s
CS = Coach Style Seats (similar to Stagecoach Gold)
EL = E-Leather material
L = LED Lighting
W = White LED Destination Blinds
Wi = Free Wi-Fi
S = Next stop announcements

- X7, X8, X9 = C3, Wi, S
- X10, X11, X21, X22 = P, U, C3, EL, W, Wi, S, L
- X14 = C3, Wi, S
- X15, X18 = P, U, CS, EL, W, Wi
- X20 = U, CS, Wi, S
biglugs@yahoo.com   20 Feb 2016, 1:50 pm
Do arriva still accept Tyne and wear tickets as 1473 driver stated they're not valid

Best bus ever
DanPicken   20 Feb 2016, 2:23 pm
(20 Feb 2016, 1:50 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote Do arriva still accept Tyne and wear tickets as 1473 driver stated they're not valid

Why wouldn't they accept them?
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Jimmi   20 Feb 2016, 2:38 pm
Seems to be some serious problems with the Arriva Live Map, all week I've been seeing buses seemingly stuck at Harrowgate Hill heading away from Darlington Town Centre with seriously late times being indicated on the map.
BusLoverMum   20 Feb 2016, 2:39 pm
(20 Feb 2016, 1:50 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote Do arriva still accept Tyne and wear tickets as 1473 driver stated they're not valid

They should do, so long as you're in the right place.

I had an arriva driver try to insist a gne issued explorer wasn't valid, once.
BusLoverMum   20 Feb 2016, 2:40 pm
(20 Feb 2016, 2:38 pm)Jimmi wrote Seems to be some serious problems with the Arriva Live Map, all week I've been seeing buses seemingly stuck at Harrowgate Hill heading away from Darlington Town Centre with seriously late times being indicated on the map.

Are there any roadworks there?
Jimmi   20 Feb 2016, 2:42 pm
(20 Feb 2016, 2:39 pm)BusLoverMum wrote They should do, so long as you're in the right place.

I had an arriva driver try to insist a gne issued explorer wasn't valid, once.
There has been history of drivers on the 22/23 and previous service numbers not knowing the ticket and pass options out of County Durham.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
biglugs@yahoo.com   20 Feb 2016, 2:42 pm
(20 Feb 2016, 2:23 pm)DanPicken wrote Why wouldn't they accept them?

Because a percentage shouldn't be employed if they don't apply to rules

Best bus ever
DanPicken   20 Feb 2016, 2:43 pm
(20 Feb 2016, 2:42 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote Because a percentage shouldn't be employed if they don't apply to rules

They wouldn't know because they're based at a depot with only a few services in Tyne and Wear.
Jimmi   20 Feb 2016, 2:43 pm
(20 Feb 2016, 2:40 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Are there any roadworks there?
No! Buses are randomly getting stuck there on the map, there's currently a 7 stuck there but it passed me in Aycliffe when I looked on the map. Currently showing as running 31 minutes late.
BusLoverMum   20 Feb 2016, 2:47 pm
(20 Feb 2016, 2:42 pm)Jimmi wrote There has been history of drivers on the 22/23 and previous service numbers not knowing the ticket and pass options out of County Durham.

Had a rather lovely driver that I hadn't seen before on the 22, this morning. He was rather surprised to see me with a £20 note, not expecting a lot of change for explorers.

I don't think a lot of people ask for them because a lot of drivers don't seem to be very aware of them.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Stuartphin1639   20 Feb 2016, 3:03 pm
(20 Feb 2016, 2:43 pm)Jimmi wrote No! Buses are randomly getting stuck there on the map, there's currently a 7 stuck there but it passed me in Aycliffe when I looked on the map. Currently showing as running 31 minutes late.

Jut looked on the map there's one 49 minutes late apparently
Jimmi   20 Feb 2016, 3:06 pm
(20 Feb 2016, 3:03 pm)Stuartphin1639 wrote Jut looked on the map there's one 49 minutes late apparently
That's the one! Was heading through Newton Aycliffe on-time when it was indicating that it was 20 odd minutes late.
Stuartphin1639   20 Feb 2016, 3:11 pm
(20 Feb 2016, 3:06 pm)Jimmi wrote That's the one! Was heading through Newton Aycliffe on-time when it was indicating that it was 20 odd minutes late.

The only thing I can think of is that the gps on the ticket machine has failed, as I'm on a 7 into the town now and it's 4 mins early from what it's supposed to arrive
Jimmi   20 Feb 2016, 3:14 pm
(20 Feb 2016, 3:11 pm)Stuartphin1639 wrote The only thing I can think of is that the gps on the ticket machine has failed, as I'm on a 7 into the town now and it's 4 mins early from what it's supposed to arrive
It's been happening all week, it also happened on the 8 when 4658 was allocated. Weirdly it's been the Harrowgate Hill area each time.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Andreos1   20 Feb 2016, 3:32 pm
(20 Feb 2016, 2:43 pm)DanPicken wrote They wouldn't know because they're based at a depot with only a few services in Tyne and Wear.

If they're in charge of a vehicle which enters an area that has specific ticketing options - then they should know.

It only takes me and you a few moments to identify ticketing options, so why can't drivers do some homework?
Depot staff issue notices. Staff handbooks are issued with content relating to ticketing options.
Yet still there there is ignorance relating to what can and cannot be issued.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
omnicity4659   20 Feb 2016, 4:11 pm
Jesmond have requested 4516 to be returned by tomorrow lunchtime.
NK53 TKT   20 Feb 2016, 4:19 pm
(20 Feb 2016, 4:11 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Jesmond have requested 4516 to be returned by tomorrow lunchtime.

Great, where is it?
Much better than 4501, 4512 and 4514 Angel
DanPicken   20 Feb 2016, 4:22 pm
(20 Feb 2016, 4:11 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Jesmond have requested 4516 to be returned by tomorrow lunchtime.

To go on the 43/4/5.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Cock Robin   20 Feb 2016, 4:24 pm
Big scratch along the full length of 1434 on the offside. Yesterday and today.
Cock Robin   20 Feb 2016, 4:25 pm
1450 on the last X5 last night.
Attached Files
.jpg
SNV35630.JPG (Size 3.36 MB Downloads 32)
Stuartphin1639   20 Feb 2016, 4:37 pm
(20 Feb 2016, 3:14 pm)Jimmi wrote It's been happening all week, it also happened on the 8 when 4658 was allocated. Weirdly it's been the Harrowgate Hill area each time.

Found out what had happened, a sapphire broke down and the solo replaced it until the top of north road and then 1513 was at the top of north road to replace 2849
mb134   20 Feb 2016, 4:54 pm
(20 Feb 2016, 4:19 pm)NK53 TKT wrote Great, where is it?
Much better than 4501, 4512 and 4514 Angel

Good luck catching 4501...
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
X8X9X10   21 Feb 2016, 1:34 am
(19 Feb 2016, 8:54 pm)tyresmoke wrote Yup, Arriva NE decided to Sapphire the X21/X22 as an upgrade to one of the busiest commuter services into Newcastle, as it is investment from outside of their own budget whilst Sapphire is/was a pilot project by Arriva UK and DB itself. MAX was designed later by ANE/Yorkshire together to improve longer distance services, and has been implemented on most inter urban services across the two regions now (still being done in Yorkshire) as a great way of growing usage.

Apologies for the late reply but surely it would make sense now for X21/X22 to go MAX as it qualifies as an express interurban route that's no more frequent, quicker or used than other MAX services out of Newcastle like X10/X11.
tyresmoke   21 Feb 2016, 6:42 pm
(20 Feb 2016, 3:32 pm)Andreos1 wrote If they're in charge of a vehicle which enters an area that has specific ticketing options - then they should know.

It only takes me and you a few moments to identify ticketing options, so why can't drivers do some homework?
Depot staff issue notices. Staff handbooks are issued with content relating to ticketing options.
Yet still there there is ignorance relating to what can and cannot be issued.

Just picking up on this from yesterday... The complexity of the tickets in our area I think is what confuses our drivers. Especially when they come across something they're not familiar with (your home tickets are going to be well known but others may not be) - it's all well and good issuing ticketing guides but if they're not kept up to date then staff will struggle with all of the options available across our network. Not to mention they're often too big to be carrying around. If we had a staff website (or even a phone app!) with all of the information we require it may be easier.

Just at Stockton we sell something daft like 20 different weekly tickets due to the different areas we operate within, not to mention all of the day tickets available. Remembering how to sell all of these on the machines never mind knowing where they are and are not valid takes some learning and I'm not going to pretend that I understand all of them.

For anyone interested the weekly tickets we sell at Stockton are:
Teesside
Teesside & East Cleveland
Easyrider Teesside
Easyrider All Zone
North East
Tyne & Wear Triple 1/2/3+ zone
Durham City
Durham District
Durham County
East Durham Triple 1/2/3+ zone
Darlington Town
Darlington + Aycliffe
Darlington + Tees Valley
X12 Weekly
X12 Durham Uni Weekly
BusLoverMum   21 Feb 2016, 7:18 pm
(21 Feb 2016, 6:42 pm)tyresmoke wrote Just picking up on this from yesterday... The complexity of the tickets in our area I think is what confuses our drivers. Especially when they come across something they're not familiar with (your home tickets are going to be well known but others may not be) - it's all well and good issuing ticketing guides but if they're not kept up to date then staff will struggle with all of the options available across our network. Not to mention they're often too big to be carrying around. If we had a staff website (or even a phone app!) with all of the information we require it may be easier.

Just at Stockton we sell something daft like 20 different weekly tickets due to the different areas we operate within, not to mention all of the day tickets available. Remembering how to sell all of these on the machines never mind knowing where they are and are not valid takes some learning and I'm not going to pretend that I understand all of them.

For anyone interested the weekly tickets we sell at Stockton are:
Teesside
Teesside & East Cleveland
Easyrider Teesside
Easyrider All Zone
North East
Tyne & Wear Triple 1/2/3+ zone
Durham City
Durham District
Durham County
East Durham Triple 1/2/3+ zone
Darlington Town
Darlington + Aycliffe
Darlington + Tees Valley
X12 Weekly
X12 Durham Uni Weekly

Yet, if I ask for a North East Arriva day ticket, I get a blank look. I just ask for a £7.70 one, now. I usually keep a stash of Co Durham ones on my phone, as they cost the same as a return to Durham and I'm usually alone and not kid wrangling when I visit there.
tyresmoke   21 Feb 2016, 7:23 pm
(21 Feb 2016, 7:18 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Yet, if I ask for a North East Arriva day ticket, I get a blank look. I just ask for a £7.70 one, now. I usually keep a stash of Co Durham ones on my phone, as they cost the same as a return to Durham and I'm usually alone and not kid wrangling when I visit there.

Yeah best to ask for it by price! If someone gets on my Sapphire (5/5a from East Cleveland into Middlesbrough) and ask for a "day ticket" they automatically get issued a £5.70 Teesside&EC one - I find if they want something else they usually ask for it.

By the way, it seems I missed some off that original list - we also sell the Durham & Brandon weekly, plus the University tickets have two options also. Taking those into account plus the various triple ticket options I'd reckon our count of weekly tickets is over 30?! And if I can't remember them all, as an enthusiastic member of staff, how is everyone else supposed to manage?  Blush
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Andreos1   21 Feb 2016, 7:30 pm
(21 Feb 2016, 7:23 pm)tyresmoke wrote Yeah best to ask for it by price! If someone gets on my Sapphire (5/5a from East Cleveland into Middlesbrough) and ask for a "day ticket" they automatically get issued a £5.70 Teesside&EC one - I find if they want something else they usually ask for it.

By the way, it seems I missed some off that original list - we also sell the Durham & Brandon weekly, plus the University tickets have two options also. Taking those into account plus the various triple ticket options I'd reckon our count of weekly tickets is over 30?! And if I can't remember them all, as an enthusiastic member of staff, how is everyone else supposed to manage?  Blush

This was an easier post to quote, than your other one.

You missed the Network Ticketing and Nexus tickets off their too. Wink

Whilst it may be confusing, I still stand by the point that front-line staff should know what is on offer.
There are numerous ways and means and as an organisation, they should be looking to resolve it.
If I found out my staff weren't aware of the product offer, I would look at how it can be resolved and work as quick as I can to do so.

Staff at mainline stations have a huge ticketing offer in front of them (granted they get more time serving a customer than you do), but they know what is on offer.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
scania driver   22 Feb 2016, 2:20 pm
This may not be the correct part of the forum but I'm looking back at bus operations in East Cleveland round about the time the depot at Loftus closed. Can anyone come up (possibily) with a fleet list before it closed and any other info. If I need to be re-directed then please let me know. Thanks.
Pages (10)    17 8 9 10