Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Stagecoach North East Stagecoach North East Latest News

Stagecoach North East Latest News

Stagecoach North East Latest News

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (133): Previous 185 86 87133 Next
28 Jul 2023, 8:15 pm
(28 Jul 2023, 6:57 pm)Storx If that's true there's some stupid things but that would take a beating. How would that even work without competing against a commercial service (17A).

I slag councillors and Nexus up here, but it really feels like Houchon and his Tory cronies have gone on a full on war with Arriva and they're biting back aswell. They, at the end of the day, blocked the 1/2 service and seem to be refusing the rebursement for pensioners aswell from words mentioned in one of the latest Tees Valley news. It's starting to turn ugly down there lately and it won't end well for the public.

The idea is it replaces the 17 between Ingleby & Yarm and then the 12 between Airport, Darlington & Hurworth (which Arriva are currently running on emergency tender). Assume it’ll run direct via Stockton & Ingleby via QE Way, so as not to compete with the 15 too much. It doesn’t cover any of the 17a though?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
28 Jul 2023, 8:15 pm #1701

(28 Jul 2023, 6:57 pm)Storx If that's true there's some stupid things but that would take a beating. How would that even work without competing against a commercial service (17A).

I slag councillors and Nexus up here, but it really feels like Houchon and his Tory cronies have gone on a full on war with Arriva and they're biting back aswell. They, at the end of the day, blocked the 1/2 service and seem to be refusing the rebursement for pensioners aswell from words mentioned in one of the latest Tees Valley news. It's starting to turn ugly down there lately and it won't end well for the public.

The idea is it replaces the 17 between Ingleby & Yarm and then the 12 between Airport, Darlington & Hurworth (which Arriva are currently running on emergency tender). Assume it’ll run direct via Stockton & Ingleby via QE Way, so as not to compete with the 15 too much. It doesn’t cover any of the 17a though?!

28 Jul 2023, 8:26 pm
(28 Jul 2023, 8:15 pm)tyresmoke The idea is it replaces the 17 between Ingleby & Yarm and then the 12 between Airport, Darlington & Hurworth (which Arriva are currently running on emergency tender). Assume it’ll run direct via Stockton & Ingleby via QE Way, so as not to compete with the 15 too much. It doesn’t cover any of the 17a though?!

My apologies got the numbers mixed up, meant the 15.

Even then though it seems a bit silly to run an express against a commercial route. I could understand if it ran Ingleby (doing the loop) then to Yarm and beyond or even going elsewhere where services don't exist currently (it's the idea of them) ie across to Coulby Newham or somewhere. Not sure what the demand would be like but the A174 is clogged everynight so suggests some are heading that way and it's arguably better use of funds.
Storx
28 Jul 2023, 8:26 pm #1702

(28 Jul 2023, 8:15 pm)tyresmoke The idea is it replaces the 17 between Ingleby & Yarm and then the 12 between Airport, Darlington & Hurworth (which Arriva are currently running on emergency tender). Assume it’ll run direct via Stockton & Ingleby via QE Way, so as not to compete with the 15 too much. It doesn’t cover any of the 17a though?!

My apologies got the numbers mixed up, meant the 15.

Even then though it seems a bit silly to run an express against a commercial route. I could understand if it ran Ingleby (doing the loop) then to Yarm and beyond or even going elsewhere where services don't exist currently (it's the idea of them) ie across to Coulby Newham or somewhere. Not sure what the demand would be like but the A174 is clogged everynight so suggests some are heading that way and it's arguably better use of funds.

28 Jul 2023, 8:49 pm
(28 Jul 2023, 8:26 pm)Storx My apologies got the numbers mixed up, meant the 15.

I am guessing once you’d done all the route upto Ingleby and you have half hour (presuming, I’ve not seen the timetable!) spare then where do you send it. The 17 goes to Middlesbrough so Stockton is your next best option. They might have even extended it commercially to allow driver changes to be done? I don’t know to be honest

All of the demand from the A174 corridor would be towards Middlesbrough I would imagine, I’ve looked at an express from up there but it’s justifying it vs everything else that is ran.

tyresmoke
28 Jul 2023, 8:49 pm #1703

(28 Jul 2023, 8:26 pm)Storx My apologies got the numbers mixed up, meant the 15.

I am guessing once you’d done all the route upto Ingleby and you have half hour (presuming, I’ve not seen the timetable!) spare then where do you send it. The 17 goes to Middlesbrough so Stockton is your next best option. They might have even extended it commercially to allow driver changes to be done? I don’t know to be honest

All of the demand from the A174 corridor would be towards Middlesbrough I would imagine, I’ve looked at an express from up there but it’s justifying it vs everything else that is ran.

28 Jul 2023, 9:06 pm
(28 Jul 2023, 8:49 pm)tyresmoke I am guessing once you’d done all the route upto Ingleby and you have half hour (presuming, I’ve not seen the timetable!) spare then where do you send it. The 17 goes to Middlesbrough so Stockton is your next best option. They might have even extended it commercially to allow driver changes to be done? I don’t know to be honest

Aye some fair points there, mind if they had 30 minutes. Wonder if they could've bolted it onto the 17 at the Darlington side, so it done the 12 route then run onto the 17 route. Seems a better use of money.

Assuming it'll be coming up for tender at the same time and the current 17 bus is sitting around doing nothing for 30 minutes by the looks of it.
Storx
28 Jul 2023, 9:06 pm #1704

(28 Jul 2023, 8:49 pm)tyresmoke I am guessing once you’d done all the route upto Ingleby and you have half hour (presuming, I’ve not seen the timetable!) spare then where do you send it. The 17 goes to Middlesbrough so Stockton is your next best option. They might have even extended it commercially to allow driver changes to be done? I don’t know to be honest

Aye some fair points there, mind if they had 30 minutes. Wonder if they could've bolted it onto the 17 at the Darlington side, so it done the 12 route then run onto the 17 route. Seems a better use of money.

Assuming it'll be coming up for tender at the same time and the current 17 bus is sitting around doing nothing for 30 minutes by the looks of it.

28 Jul 2023, 11:06 pm
(28 Jul 2023, 9:06 pm)Storx Aye some fair points there, mind if they had 30 minutes. Wonder if they could've bolted it onto the 17 at the Darlington side, so it done the 12 route then run onto the 17 route. Seems a better use of money.

By all accounts the 17/18 are staying with Arriva, I’m sure there would be a way of interworking them albeit very hard to work out
Stuartphin1639
28 Jul 2023, 11:06 pm #1705

(28 Jul 2023, 9:06 pm)Storx Aye some fair points there, mind if they had 30 minutes. Wonder if they could've bolted it onto the 17 at the Darlington side, so it done the 12 route then run onto the 17 route. Seems a better use of money.

By all accounts the 17/18 are staying with Arriva, I’m sure there would be a way of interworking them albeit very hard to work out

29 Jul 2023, 5:56 am

6/6A only running until March 2024 apparently.
RobinHood
29 Jul 2023, 5:56 am #1706

6/6A only running until March 2024 apparently.

29 Jul 2023, 6:39 am
(28 Jul 2023, 11:06 pm)Stuartphin1639 By all accounts the 17/18 are staying with Arriva, I’m sure there would be a way of interworking them albeit very hard to work out

I'm not sure it would be possibly think the 17 takes 30 minutes or so and the 18 takes 55 mins or so doesn't it? Unless you want it a very uneven timetable (let's not go there as I know they exist) it'll be pretty much impossible. 

Guess they could extend the 17 to somewhere though, not sure where mind.
Storx
29 Jul 2023, 6:39 am #1707

(28 Jul 2023, 11:06 pm)Stuartphin1639 By all accounts the 17/18 are staying with Arriva, I’m sure there would be a way of interworking them albeit very hard to work out

I'm not sure it would be possibly think the 17 takes 30 minutes or so and the 18 takes 55 mins or so doesn't it? Unless you want it a very uneven timetable (let's not go there as I know they exist) it'll be pretty much impossible. 

Guess they could extend the 17 to somewhere though, not sure where mind.

29 Jul 2023, 8:04 am

From experience, there's a significant majority who tends to cross the river. In both directions.

Guessing a chunk come South to work on the industrial estate just outside Ingleby and those living in Ingleby are travelling north for their white collar jobs elsewhere. 
Obviously reversed later in the day.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
29 Jul 2023, 8:04 am #1708

From experience, there's a significant majority who tends to cross the river. In both directions.

Guessing a chunk come South to work on the industrial estate just outside Ingleby and those living in Ingleby are travelling north for their white collar jobs elsewhere. 
Obviously reversed later in the day.

29 Jul 2023, 5:50 pm

I agree something is not right I wonder if we might see this so called agreement ripped up and have the bus wars back because if I was Arriva I would be feeling more than a bit annoyed right now as this is very likely going to be a potential commercial service in the future. Ben will likely be doing this as another ego boost as once again like with the 1 and 2 it’s mostly duplicating a commercial service or in this case quite a few ( the 7, 15, X66/X67) while at the same time areas desperately in need of a service ( Stillington, Dalton Piecy) got next to nothing still.
col87
29 Jul 2023, 5:50 pm #1709

I agree something is not right I wonder if we might see this so called agreement ripped up and have the bus wars back because if I was Arriva I would be feeling more than a bit annoyed right now as this is very likely going to be a potential commercial service in the future. Ben will likely be doing this as another ego boost as once again like with the 1 and 2 it’s mostly duplicating a commercial service or in this case quite a few ( the 7, 15, X66/X67) while at the same time areas desperately in need of a service ( Stillington, Dalton Piecy) got next to nothing still.

29 Jul 2023, 9:05 pm
(29 Jul 2023, 5:50 pm)col87 I agree something is not right I wonder if we might see this so called agreement ripped up and have the bus wars back because if I was Arriva I would be feeling more than a bit annoyed right now as this is very likely going to be a potential commercial service in the future. Ben will likely be doing this as another ego boost as once again like with the 1 and 2 it’s mostly duplicating a commercial service or in this case quite a few ( the 7, 15, X66/X67) while at the same time areas desperately in need of a service ( Stillington, Dalton Piecy) got next to nothing still.

Honestly can't disagree if I had to be honest. It's certainly a bit bizarre, it's almost as the Tory clown is trying to look like he's doing something when he's in reality doing nothing. No doubt it'll be all about linking his fantasy airport aswell.

Arriva's and Houchens relations seem rock bottom lately though, it's just constant sniping and it's not exactly discreet either.
Storx
29 Jul 2023, 9:05 pm #1710

(29 Jul 2023, 5:50 pm)col87 I agree something is not right I wonder if we might see this so called agreement ripped up and have the bus wars back because if I was Arriva I would be feeling more than a bit annoyed right now as this is very likely going to be a potential commercial service in the future. Ben will likely be doing this as another ego boost as once again like with the 1 and 2 it’s mostly duplicating a commercial service or in this case quite a few ( the 7, 15, X66/X67) while at the same time areas desperately in need of a service ( Stillington, Dalton Piecy) got next to nothing still.

Honestly can't disagree if I had to be honest. It's certainly a bit bizarre, it's almost as the Tory clown is trying to look like he's doing something when he's in reality doing nothing. No doubt it'll be all about linking his fantasy airport aswell.

Arriva's and Houchens relations seem rock bottom lately though, it's just constant sniping and it's not exactly discreet either.

30 Jul 2023, 7:17 pm
(29 Jul 2023, 9:05 pm)Storx Honestly can't disagree if I had to be honest. It's certainly a bit bizarre, it's almost as the Tory clown is trying to look like he's doing something when he's in reality doing nothing. No doubt it'll be all about linking his fantasy airport aswell.

No it’s not discreet we will wait and see if Arriva try to block this route as well then because it will be surprising if they don’t. 
When you consider at the moment Stagecoach are getting funding for 

Tees Flex 
The Saltburn 1/2 
The teesport 101 
Now this 6/6A something is starting to look a bit suspicious.  Tees flex is supposed to be for areas without a proper service yet at the moment Stagecoach are getting funding for duplicates off the combined authority as Tees Flex could very easily cover all them. 
At the moment all Ben and the combined authority are doing is mostly seeming to be giving Stagecoach money to duplicate areas that already are served by Arriva. The funding could have been used for Arriva to improve existing network. This is just potentially damaging relations between the two companies as the more Stagecoach go against Arriva the more Arriva are probably going to be tempted to fight back so could end up been both good and bad news for passengers.
col87
30 Jul 2023, 7:17 pm #1711

(29 Jul 2023, 9:05 pm)Storx Honestly can't disagree if I had to be honest. It's certainly a bit bizarre, it's almost as the Tory clown is trying to look like he's doing something when he's in reality doing nothing. No doubt it'll be all about linking his fantasy airport aswell.

No it’s not discreet we will wait and see if Arriva try to block this route as well then because it will be surprising if they don’t. 

Tees Flex 
The Saltburn 1/2 
The teesport 101 
Now this 6/6A something is starting to look a bit suspicious.  Tees flex is supposed to be for areas without a proper service yet at the moment Stagecoach are getting funding for duplicates off the combined authority as Tees Flex could very easily cover all them. 
At the moment all Ben and the combined authority are doing is mostly seeming to be giving Stagecoach money to duplicate areas that already are served by Arriva. The funding could have been used for Arriva to improve existing network. This is just potentially damaging relations between the two companies as the more Stagecoach go against Arriva the more Arriva are probably going to be tempted to fight back so could end up been both good and bad news for passengers.

30 Jul 2023, 7:53 pm
They all went out to competitive tender… and Stagecoach are going in quite cheap at the minute to win contract work…

tyresmoke
30 Jul 2023, 7:53 pm #1712

They all went out to competitive tender… and Stagecoach are going in quite cheap at the minute to win contract work…

30 Jul 2023, 7:56 pm
(30 Jul 2023, 7:17 pm)col87 No it’s not discreet we will wait and see if Arriva try to block this route as well then because it will be surprising if they don’t. 

Tees Flex 
The Saltburn 1/2 
The teesport 101 

With some 'inside' knowledge that I do have, Arriva have already warned TVCA that if they start this new service early, they will flag it with the Traffic Commissioner (Ironically Stagecoach were thankful that Arriva did it last time as they didn't have the staff for the 1/2 given Ben extended TeesFlex at the same time).

I'm sure we will all have views on this (whether it is right or wrong), but the fact the traffic commissioner blocked the 1/2 earlier this year suggests that Arriva were right to object, as it was against legislation. The notice period is to ensure fair competition.

Arriva have a good working relationship with Stagecoach, they aren't about to start a bus war.

The new Service 6/6A is only until March 2024, pending further funding hopes. Without that, it's gone as quickly as it arrived.

I do agree though, the millions poured into securing whole new services over the top of existing network could have been better used to benefit many more people. Imagine how many evenings, Sundays or smaller ad-hoc improvements could have been made within the Tees Valley? Instead TVCA spaffing their £1.5mil BSIP+ funding up the wall like a kid in a sweet shop with the first fiver he's ever had.

Clearly, TVCA have little intelligence within their respective public transport officers. Shame really, as local people should have been able to vote or have some kind of say on how that money should have been spent. Even if it was ring-fenced on specific things.
RobinHood
30 Jul 2023, 7:56 pm #1713

(30 Jul 2023, 7:17 pm)col87 No it’s not discreet we will wait and see if Arriva try to block this route as well then because it will be surprising if they don’t. 

Tees Flex 
The Saltburn 1/2 
The teesport 101 

With some 'inside' knowledge that I do have, Arriva have already warned TVCA that if they start this new service early, they will flag it with the Traffic Commissioner (Ironically Stagecoach were thankful that Arriva did it last time as they didn't have the staff for the 1/2 given Ben extended TeesFlex at the same time).

I'm sure we will all have views on this (whether it is right or wrong), but the fact the traffic commissioner blocked the 1/2 earlier this year suggests that Arriva were right to object, as it was against legislation. The notice period is to ensure fair competition.

Arriva have a good working relationship with Stagecoach, they aren't about to start a bus war.

The new Service 6/6A is only until March 2024, pending further funding hopes. Without that, it's gone as quickly as it arrived.

I do agree though, the millions poured into securing whole new services over the top of existing network could have been better used to benefit many more people. Imagine how many evenings, Sundays or smaller ad-hoc improvements could have been made within the Tees Valley? Instead TVCA spaffing their £1.5mil BSIP+ funding up the wall like a kid in a sweet shop with the first fiver he's ever had.

Clearly, TVCA have little intelligence within their respective public transport officers. Shame really, as local people should have been able to vote or have some kind of say on how that money should have been spent. Even if it was ring-fenced on specific things.

30 Jul 2023, 8:09 pm
(30 Jul 2023, 7:56 pm)RobinHood With some 'inside' knowledge that I do have, Arriva have already warned TVCA that if they start this new service early, they will flag it with the Traffic Commissioner (Ironically Stagecoach were thankful that Arriva did it last time as they didn't have the staff for the 1/2 given Ben extended TeesFlex at the same time).

Must say though, from no knowledge, it doesn't come across as in the best of terms as otherwise they'd just let it slide. I know it's law etc but they're clearly not happy about them existing for whatever reason, I could guess why.

Btw, forgot to quote and I'm being lazy, I don't think there'll be a bus war. It'll be more of a, the X3 doesn't make money because of the 1/2, we're cancelling it problem result I have a feeling will end up or there's not enough passengers on the 15 we're dropping it down to every 20 minutes etc. Stagecoach and Arriva seem to be fine lately, especially with the Walkergate co-operation.
Storx
30 Jul 2023, 8:09 pm #1714

(30 Jul 2023, 7:56 pm)RobinHood With some 'inside' knowledge that I do have, Arriva have already warned TVCA that if they start this new service early, they will flag it with the Traffic Commissioner (Ironically Stagecoach were thankful that Arriva did it last time as they didn't have the staff for the 1/2 given Ben extended TeesFlex at the same time).

Must say though, from no knowledge, it doesn't come across as in the best of terms as otherwise they'd just let it slide. I know it's law etc but they're clearly not happy about them existing for whatever reason, I could guess why.

Btw, forgot to quote and I'm being lazy, I don't think there'll be a bus war. It'll be more of a, the X3 doesn't make money because of the 1/2, we're cancelling it problem result I have a feeling will end up or there's not enough passengers on the 15 we're dropping it down to every 20 minutes etc. Stagecoach and Arriva seem to be fine lately, especially with the Walkergate co-operation.

30 Jul 2023, 9:53 pm
(30 Jul 2023, 7:53 pm)tyresmoke They all went out to competitive tender… and Stagecoach are going in quite cheap at the minute to win contract work…

“Going in cheap to win contract work” isn’t a sustainable business model, especially when operating costs are increasing due to high inflation.
busmanT
30 Jul 2023, 9:53 pm #1715

(30 Jul 2023, 7:53 pm)tyresmoke They all went out to competitive tender… and Stagecoach are going in quite cheap at the minute to win contract work…

“Going in cheap to win contract work” isn’t a sustainable business model, especially when operating costs are increasing due to high inflation.

31 Jul 2023, 2:47 pm

Tees Flex 
The Saltburn 1/2 
The teesport 101 

Where would the 6/6a run from 

Do feel we need a service connecting redcar and marske back up with Stockton
Ryland
31 Jul 2023, 2:47 pm #1716

Tees Flex 
The Saltburn 1/2 
The teesport 101 

Where would the 6/6a run from 

31 Jul 2023, 3:32 pm

Arriva might well have had a good relationship with Stagecoach however at the moment I get the impression especially with things like this it might not last.   It will certainly be interesting though to see if Stagecoach take it on commercially or even consider going back into the Darlington area with other services
col87
31 Jul 2023, 3:32 pm #1717

Arriva might well have had a good relationship with Stagecoach however at the moment I get the impression especially with things like this it might not last.   It will certainly be interesting though to see if Stagecoach take it on commercially or even consider going back into the Darlington area with other services

31 Jul 2023, 4:19 pm
(31 Jul 2023, 2:47 pm)Ryland Where would the 6/6a run from 

It’s going to be Stockton - Darlington via Ingleby Barwick, Yarm and Teesside Airport.  

They possible scoop for a summer service between Stockton and Redcar but not sure it would work all year round.
col87
31 Jul 2023, 4:19 pm #1718

It’s going to be Stockton - Darlington via Ingleby Barwick, Yarm and Teesside Airport.  

They possible scoop for a summer service between Stockton and Redcar but not sure it would work all year round.

31 Jul 2023, 5:09 pm

I'm all for improving links and getting rid of hub & spoke in the majority of cases, but what sort of time or convenience would be saved getting a direct bus vs changing in Middlesbrough?

Andreos1
31 Jul 2023, 5:09 pm #1719

I'm all for improving links and getting rid of hub & spoke in the majority of cases, but what sort of time or convenience would be saved getting a direct bus vs changing in Middlesbrough?

31 Jul 2023, 7:07 pm
(31 Jul 2023, 4:19 pm)col87 It’s going to be Stockton - Darlington via Ingleby Barwick, Yarm and Teesside Airport.  

I know this is the complete wrong thread but I always think the X67 extended through onto the now X2 wouldn't be bad so you'd have something like

New Marske - Redcar - Middlesbrough - Teesside Park (New) - Stockton - Darlington

Would connect all the main towns together on one bus. It should be doable on a round trip, driver wise. I don't know what the demand would be like for Teesside Park but the connections currently are appalling and there always seems to be a few people about waiting for the X12.
Storx
31 Jul 2023, 7:07 pm #1720

(31 Jul 2023, 4:19 pm)col87 It’s going to be Stockton - Darlington via Ingleby Barwick, Yarm and Teesside Airport.  

I know this is the complete wrong thread but I always think the X67 extended through onto the now X2 wouldn't be bad so you'd have something like

New Marske - Redcar - Middlesbrough - Teesside Park (New) - Stockton - Darlington

Would connect all the main towns together on one bus. It should be doable on a round trip, driver wise. I don't know what the demand would be like for Teesside Park but the connections currently are appalling and there always seems to be a few people about waiting for the X12.

Pages (133): Previous 185 86 87133 Next

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Possibly Related Threads…