Menu

Pages (9)    17 8 9
Michael   25 Feb 2014, 6:13 pm
PB0002717/291 - ARRIVA DURHAM COUNTY LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP
Variation Accepted by SN: Operating between Hurworth and Trees Park Village given service number 12/12A effective from 25-Jan-2014. To amend Route.

PB0002717/354 - ARRIVA DURHAM COUNTY LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP
Variation Accepted by SN: Operating between Middlesbrough and Lingdale given service number X3A/X3 effective from 24-Feb-2014. To amend Timetable.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
VolvoMarkII   25 Feb 2014, 8:30 pm
(25 Feb 2014, 6:01 pm)tyresmoke wrote Cheers that makes sense! Am I right in thinking the 24X's are on 57 boards? Passed 7464 in Shotton this morning with a decent load.

The AM 24X is a 6 board. Not sure about the afternoon, I think it is a Johnston School Bus.
VolvoMarkII   25 Feb 2014, 8:33 pm
(25 Feb 2014, 8:12 am)Dan wrote Of course this does not mean every bus belonging to the Go-Ahead parent company can refuel for as little as 49p per litre.
There are instances whereby 'outstationed' vehicles refuel away from Go North East premises - I believe that the vehicles based at Peterlee for example refuel on council-owned premises, with a deal set up there.
That figure will, if I am correct, exclude additional resources required for refuelling on modern-day vehicles at the very least. Recently manufactured vehicles such as the Mercedes Citaro and the Volvo B8RLE all require a substance called "AdBlue" (Google it if you're not familiar with it).This will come at an additional cost - how significant this additional cost is, I do not know.

All major bus operators 'hedge' their fuel price, basically gambling the price for a set amount of time.

They agree in advance with a supplier to pay an amount per litre, which is fixed, irrespective if the price goes up (or less likely) goes down.

These deals come to an end and negotiations set up again.

The reduction on BSOG is also a big part. Operators cannot claim BSOG for gross contract services now, such as Durham Park & Ride. This BSOG goes directly to the contractor, so the costs of operation increases again.
Dan   26 Feb 2014, 8:05 am
(25 Feb 2014, 4:11 pm)Dan wrote Three pensioners getting off the 1600ish 23 service arrival into Sunderland; with two kids, three fare paying passengers and four pensioners getting on at Park Lane towards Hartlepool.

Usually far fewer passengers get on for that 1605ish departure from Park Lane, so I'm impressed...despite that loading still being poor given the time of day.

0802 departure carrying nowt but air. Ah, I forgot the pass holders can't ride for free until half 9!
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
cbma06   26 Feb 2014, 3:22 pm
Picked up my daughter at St Bedes at Peterlee, and 1463 bus timed off Peterlee bus station at 15:00 towards Durham, came along Passfield Way then turned into Southway instead of going straight up Passfield Way, this is not the first that service 24 being going along Southway and service 22 not going via Southway.

Is their not dedicated team of drivers to do the 22/23 and 24 duties?

Dan   26 Feb 2014, 4:05 pm
(26 Feb 2014, 8:05 am)Dan wrote 0802 departure carrying nowt but air. Ah, I forgot the pass holders can't ride for free until half 9!

Two passengers on the 1605ish one, but the 24 before it left late. Really think I've made my point now.
Jimmi   26 Feb 2014, 4:49 pm
1653 has been repainted and is on Durham service 64 today.
tyresmoke   26 Feb 2014, 6:01 pm
Well as its been released elsewhere, the order for Pulsars has been changed to Streetlites, for service 23 and Sapphire X4s and 5s. I believe the 306 will still be Pulsars for Jesmond. Unsure what fleet numbers they will carry.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
JoshP   26 Feb 2014, 9:04 pm
(26 Feb 2014, 6:01 pm)tyresmoke wrote Well as its been released elsewhere, the order for Pulsars has been changed to Streetlites, for service 23 and Sapphire X4s and 5s. I believe the 306 will still be Pulsars for Jesmond. Unsure what fleet numbers they will carry.

Ooo exciting stuff! Where did you find the information? Smile
tyresmoke   26 Feb 2014, 10:52 pm
(26 Feb 2014, 9:04 pm)JoshP wrote Ooo exciting stuff! Where did you find the information? Smile

I've known for a few weeks but had to keep it quiet until now...

tango   26 Feb 2014, 11:36 pm
That's intresting! Do you know what type they will be? I am thinking streetlite max for obvious reasons relating to capacity, I seem to remember reading somewhere before that vdl were developing a chassis for the streetlite model.
Dan   27 Feb 2014, 6:35 am
(26 Feb 2014, 11:36 pm)tango wrote That's intresting! Do you know what type they will be? I am thinking streetlite max for obvious reasons relating to capacity, I seem to remember reading somewhere before that vdl were developing a chassis for the streetlite model.

The 23 really doesn't require anything bigger than a Solo (just refer to previous posts in regards to the poor passenger numbers). Buying the bigger version, which would be more expensive, would be the cherry on the cake for how idiotic this investment is.

I had originally thought (admittedly without referring to timetables) that Pulsar operation would allow the 23/24 to interwork at Sunderland and driver changeovers could occur in Durham for greater convenience to the company, but if Streetlites are going ahead then this won't be possible. Combined with the cascades to allow for Dart withdrawal, assuming service 23 is one of the better performing Solo routes, I could manage to comprehend the decision-making.

Still plenty of time for the decision to change again... Huh
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
tyresmoke   27 Feb 2014, 8:28 am
(26 Feb 2014, 11:36 pm)tango wrote That's intresting! Do you know what type they will be? I am thinking streetlite max for obvious reasons relating to capacity, I seem to remember reading somewhere before that vdl were developing a chassis for the streetlite model.

Yeah they're down to be the Max version, 11.5m in length, 45 seaters with a higher bhp engine to handle the hills on the Sapphire routes. Unsure whether the ones for the 23 will be the same or shorter. One would assume a smaller version would suit the 23 better!

Michael   27 Feb 2014, 4:14 pm
PB0002717/361 - ARRIVA DURHAM COUNTY LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP
Registration Accepted
Starting Point: Whitby Park & Ride
Finish Point: Whitby Park & Ride
Via:
Service Number: 171
Service Type: Limited Stop
Effective Date: 01-MAY-2014
Other Details: Whitby Park & Ride

PB0002717/362 - ARRIVA DURHAM COUNTY LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP
Registration Accepted
Starting Point: Whitby Park & Ride
Finish Point: Whitby Park & Ride
Via:
Service Number: 171
Service Type: Limited Stop
Effective Date: 01-OCT-2014
Other Details: Whitby Park & Ride

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Adrian   27 Feb 2014, 5:10 pm
So for the X4, we'll have sapphire spec Streetlites? If so seems a bit of an irrational decision. Budget midi buses on what's meant to be the 'gold standard' of Arriva?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Roland Pratt   27 Feb 2014, 6:00 pm
(16 Feb 2014, 6:58 pm)tyresmoke wrote Couple of last day allocations for Teesside yesterday:

Last day of service 4 (Redcar-Lingdale) had 1436, 1711 and 4651, with MPD 1711 operating the last trip.

Last X5 from Whitby was Stockton's 1512 (last trip for Stockton depot to Whitby also!)
Last X5 into Whitby was Prestige 4042 (Redcar based...) - others being 1104, 1105 and 4704!

Last service 30 to Saltersgill was Prestige 4001
Last service X6 to Kingsmead was Cadet 1917

As a result of service changes starting today, 3 buses were withdrawn overnight... Stockton lost Prestige 4045 and Redcar MPD's 1737 and 1739. Of course Redcar are still using disposal 1711 and 1743 so I don't suppose these two will be any different....

1436 replaced 4651 on the long 4s. 4651 replaced 1436 on the X4 as apparently they didn't think 1436 was up to Saltburn Bank, so they swapped. 1651 was the other long 4 and 1711 the short one.!

(23 Feb 2014, 12:17 am)Kuyoyo wrote Stockton MPD 1772 has gained a rear advert for Cooper Teesside

Scott?

(22 Feb 2014, 9:28 am)tyresmoke wrote Probably worth mentioning that the Darlington Dalesbus will start from Middlesbrough this summer, in an attempt to attract would-be Moorsbus travellers onto the Dalesbus network instead as a replacement Sunday activity.

That's interesting. Will Darlington still work it then?
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Kuyoyo   27 Feb 2014, 6:02 pm
(27 Feb 2014, 6:00 pm)Roland Pratt wrote Scott?

.jpg
ANE-1772.JPG (Size 354.83 KB Downloads 21)
Roland Pratt   27 Feb 2014, 6:03 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 12:34 pm)Kuyoyo wrote You seem to have an odd idea how radios work on buses - drivers can't contact other vehicles only a central control (Stagecoach's control is based at each depot) then any major information (road closure, accident etc) is passed by the control to the other vehicles (only messages from control can be heard on the other vehicles on the road). Arriva did have radios until last year when their central control at Jesmond was closed. Instead, drivers now simply contact their depot on the phone (obviously when safe to use the phone) to report late running or to report a breakdown.

That's what he said!

(24 Feb 2014, 7:20 pm)andreos1 wrote I blame Thatcher!
If she hadn't shut down the pits - the populations of East Durham (and those working in the area), would still be using the services that went to each and every one of the colliery villages in the area.

Since the working population (those who do work) now travel away to out of town call centres or industrial estates, the demand that existed for public transport through to Sunderland has waned.
Just look at the old United or TMS timetables to see the reductions over the years.

ANE have down the same route others have and have focused routes down certain core corridors throughout East Durham.
IF (and it is a big if), ANE managed to keep the tendered work or adapt it when taken on commercially, I have a feeling the entire network across that area would be totally different.

Poppycock! The services in Teesside have been decimated and we've never had a pit here! Deregulation has not been to blame for the cuts in services. The operators were milking the ratepayers for millions before then. After deregulation the system of supported services worked well (eg under Cleveland County), saving millions of pounds a year on the previous system, until local authorities got greedy and wanted to save even more and saw bus services as an easy target. And as someone else mentioned, if it wasn't for Mrs T we'd still have all the Tyne and Wear buses running round in yellow regardless of operator so there's another good thing she did.

(27 Feb 2014, 6:02 pm)Roland Pratt wrote That's interesting. Will Darlington still work it then?

When does it start? Is it same days of operation as Moorsbus used to be?

(25 Feb 2014, 1:13 pm)Chris wrote Which is where your 'Low Cost' units come in. All the rage back in the eighties, but I'd be surprised if the cost differential between 'low cost' and 'full cost' is as high now as it was back then. The days of bread vans are thankfully near enough gone.

So you'd rather have nothing at all than a 'bread van'?!
Roland Pratt   27 Feb 2014, 6:19 pm
(27 Feb 2014, 6:12 pm)Roland Pratt wrote So you'd rather have nothing at all than a 'bread van'?!

As well as greedy local authorities to blame for decimating services we also have the EU and the politically correct DDA lobby who between them have constantly changed the specs of buses to please the vociforous minority* who insist on wheelchairs being allowed on all local services, and the tree huggers. Between them they have caused the cost of buying operating buses to spiral out of control with the result that far from improving the network for the disabled it has decimated it for everyone.

*at first they wanted split entrances, then they u turned and wanted wide low entrances, then even when they get 100% wheelchair accessible they are still not satisfied.
G-CPTN   27 Feb 2014, 6:22 pm
All the rage back in the eighties, but I'd be surprised if the cost differential between 'low cost' and 'full cost' is as high now as it was back then. The days of bread vans are thankfully near enough gone.

(27 Feb 2014, 6:12 pm)Roland Pratt wrote So you'd rather have nothing at all than a 'bread van'?!

Back in the 80s I was living near Bristol, and I vividly remember the dreadful rattling Transit van minibuses being driven at speed around the city by maniacs as they fought to overtake rivals and steal their fares.
We never should be allowed to revisit those times which were truly horrendous and frightening, believe me.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Adrian   27 Feb 2014, 6:33 pm
(27 Feb 2014, 6:19 pm)Roland Pratt wrote As well as greedy local authorities to blame for decimating services we also have the EU and the politically correct DDA lobby who between them have constantly changed the specs of buses to please the vociforous minority* who insist on wheelchairs being allowed on all local services, and the tree huggers. Between them they have caused the cost of buying operating buses to spiral out of control with the result that far from improving the network for the disabled it has decimated it for everyone.

*at first they wanted split entrances, then they u turned and wanted wide low entrances, then even when they get 100% wheelchair accessible they are still not satisfied.

The DDA was repealed in 2010 and replaced with the Equality Act. I don't think you can say that this only pleases the minority? Appreciate that requirements have changed dramatically over the past 20 years or so, but such legislation is vital to ensure that we progress forward in maximising social inclusion.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Kuyoyo   27 Feb 2014, 6:39 pm
(27 Feb 2014, 6:03 pm)Roland Pratt wrote That's what he said!

No, he said contact the driver on the bus in-front using radios - which they can't do!

(27 Feb 2014, 6:03 pm)Roland Pratt wrote When does it start? Is it same days of operation as Moorsbus used to be?

It starts on Easter Sunday (20th April) and runs Sundays and Bank Holidays until the 19th October. And yes, it will be operated by Darlington depot as per the last 2 years - using the dedicated team of 3 or so drivers it has done previous (some of whom also worked the Moorsbus network).
Kuyoyo   27 Feb 2014, 6:40 pm
New timetables are now available online for upcoming changes

Newcastle, North Tyneside and South East Northumberland Changes Sunday 23rd March 2014

Teesside's final change for the year - Stockton service 6 from Monday 31st March 2014 (the day before the withdrawal of the council funding

(27 Feb 2014, 5:10 pm)aureolin wrote So for the X4, we'll have sapphire spec Streetlites? If so seems a bit of an irrational decision. Budget midi buses on what's meant to be the 'gold standard' of Arriva?

I wouldn't say the Streetlite Max is a midibus, considering they are 11.7m long while Pulsars are 11.9m so both are classed more as full size lightweight vehicles.
Kuyoyo   27 Feb 2014, 9:02 pm
(27 Feb 2014, 6:35 am)Dan wrote The 23 really doesn't require anything bigger than a Solo (just refer to previous posts in regards to the poor passenger numbers). Buying the bigger version, which would be more expensive, would be the cherry on the cake for how idiotic this investment is.

I had originally thought (admittedly without referring to timetables) that Pulsar operation would allow the 23/24 to interwork at Sunderland and driver changeovers could occur in Durham for greater convenience to the company, but if Streetlites are going ahead then this won't be possible. Combined with the cascades to allow for Dart withdrawal, assuming service 23 is one of the better performing Solo routes, I could manage to comprehend the decision-making.

Still plenty of time for the decision to change again... Huh

Only replying now 'cos I've only just noticed this

Very much impossible to do without a major re-write of the timetables or the additional of an extra bus into the schedule to allow for long layovers at Park Lane. You could swap the 23/24 departure times from Sunderland without then adding interworking with the 22 (and that would mean re-re-routing the 23 back to the Marina in Hartlepool) to keep the basic 15 minutes frequency from Peterlee to Hartlepool, Sunderland and Durham on the 3 routes.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
tyresmoke   27 Feb 2014, 9:15 pm
(27 Feb 2014, 9:02 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Only replying now 'cos I've only just noticed this

Very much impossible to do without a major re-write of the timetables or the additional of an extra bus into the schedule to allow for long layovers at Park Lane. You could swap the 23/24 departure times from Sunderland without then adding interworking with the 22 (and that would mean re-re-routing the 23 back to the Marina in Hartlepool) to keep the basic 15 minutes frequency from Peterlee to Hartlepool, Sunderland and Durham on the 3 routes.

Not to mention cutting it very fine on driving hours doing a 23 and 24. This is the main reason why this currently doesn't happen.

Dan   28 Feb 2014, 4:49 pm
1764 is the most recent repaint into the new livery.
coldav   28 Feb 2014, 6:58 pm
The new depot at Ashington opens tomorrow (Saturday 1 March).

Seen at Ashington today were driver trainers 9990 at the old depot and 9991 at the new depot.
Dan   28 Feb 2014, 7:18 pm
Arriva North East fleet list updated.

Think I've covered everything reported on the forum and on the allocation sheet... Give me a shout if you find something that has not been reported!
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Pages (9)    17 8 9