You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015
(24 Aug 2015, 12:14 pm)Michael wrote Has 8253 being withdrawn from Washington due to loss on NEXUS contracts?

Surprised they haven't got rid of the withdrawn buses yet, especially the Cadets/MPDs, as they're DDA... although some have just being withdrawn.

Engine failure I think.
Against the Anti-Lee Club.
(24 Aug 2015, 10:40 am)Michael wrote Fleet News:

The remaining MPDs at Peterlee, 564, 565, 573 & 574, have been transferred to Deptford and 546 has been withdrawn from Deptford, together with Trident 3877 from Chester le Street.

Fleet changes show rest of the 52 reg MPD's are still in service at Deptford along with 5162 still at Peterlee, they also have 547 at Deptford to.

Have just spotted one of them on the 60. Very shiny
(24 Aug 2015, 12:06 pm)Dan wrote The Fleet News has been revised as follows:

The remaining MPDs at Peterlee, 564, 565, 573 & 574, have been transferred to Deptford leading to the withdrawal of 544 and 546 and the temporary transfer of 542 to Crook. DAF SB120 8253 has been withdrawn from Washington and Trident 3877 from Chester le Street.

I am quite annoyed that the Dennis MPDs  are being withdrawn. I really quite like like and as for 3877 it is one of the better lolynes
(24 Aug 2015, 12:38 pm)NK53 TKT wrote I am quite annoyed that the Dennis MPDs  are being withdrawn. I really quite like like and as for 3877 it is one of the better lolynes

Unfortunately their time has come. Their estimated shelf life is coming to an end.
Site Administrator
(24 Aug 2015, 12:14 pm)Michael wrote Has 8253 being withdrawn from Washington due to loss on NEXUS contracts?

Surprised they haven't got rid of the withdrawn buses yet, especially the Cadets/MPDs, as they're DDA... although some have just being withdrawn.

(24 Aug 2015, 12:21 pm)DanPicken wrote Engine failure I think.

What makes you think that, Dan?

The withdrawal of DAF SB120/Wright Cadet 8253 (NK04 FOP) has been outstanding since May, and was actually replaced in the fleet at Washington by VDL SB120/Wright Merit 8265 (NK04 ZND). I believe its withdrawal was postponed due to various VDL SB120/Wright Merits being VOR following transfer from Riverside. I expect that it won't be too long before DAF SB120/Wright Cadet 8252 (NA52 BVJ) follows suit, although this must have been in a better condition than 8253 (NK04 FOP) given that the latter was withdrawn first despite being younger.

The MPDs and Cadets withdrawn to date (excluding 8253) were all new in 2002; as mini and midibuses, these would have been expected to have a shelf life of 12 years, which of course they have now surpassed. These vehicles will have a low book value, so makes sense to withdraw them now to maximise sale value.
(24 Aug 2015, 3:43 pm)Dan wrote What makes you think that, Dan?

The withdrawal of DAF SB120/Wright Cadet 8253 (NK04 FOP) has been outstanding since May, and was actually replaced in the fleet at Washington by VDL SB120/Wright Merit 8265 (NK04 ZND). I believe its withdrawal was postponed due to various VDL SB120/Wright Merits being VOR following transfer from Riverside. I expect that it won't be too long before DAF SB120/Wright Cadet 8252 (NA52 BVJ) follows suit, although this must have been in a better condition than 8253 (NK04 FOP) given that the latter was withdrawn first despite being younger.

The MPDs and Cadets withdrawn to date (excluding 8253) were all new in 2002; as mini and midibuses, these would have been expected to have a shelf life of 12 years, which of course they have now surpassed. These vehicles will have a low book value, so makes sense to withdraw them now to maximise sale value.

It was because of the way it sounded and that 8252 is still seeing service on either the 82/A or 88/A.
(24 Aug 2015, 4:30 pm)DanPicken wrote It was because of the way it sounded and that 8252 is still seeing service on either the 82/A or 88/A.

So if I have a sore throat and speak with a croaky voice, will that mean I'm on the verge of death? I think not.
(24 Aug 2015, 4:31 pm)R852 PRG wrote So if I have a sore throat and speak with a croaky voice, will that mean I'm on the verge of death? I think not.

Their a big difference between an 'if' and an actual bus which fan belt has massively deteriorated.
(24 Aug 2015, 10:09 am)GMitchelhill wrote Actually it won't be as drastic as people have mentioned. Basically all it would need is a hinged door on the nearside complete with wheelchair lift / ramp. Although a pain to operate in normal service, it's handy for private hire.

Though saying that Airbus in London had Volvo Olympians fitted with wheelchair lifts at the front entrance and Northumbria Coaches also had a Optare MetroRider fitted with a lift.

Wheelchair lift can be seen here in this photo - https://www.flickr.com/photos/23137045@N...6wp-6uNFXp

Strathclyde conversion of an Atlantean - https://www.flickr.com/photos/fredbongo/...5Zp-nMWP8t

Strathclyde also had Volvo Citybuses fitted with lifts - https://www.flickr.com/photos/63093849@N...ijF-rQco6u

And finally here is said Optare MetroRider (which I have also travelled on this service) - https://www.flickr.com/photos/45726467@N...1mh-nS8fAB

So there you have it, proof that it can be done with out the drastic work.
Fitting a ramp is the least of their worries really though.

Me and Dan had a bit of back and forth in another thread regarding how minor some of the requirements are, but on the same note, I'm confident something like an Atlantean or Olympian would require way more adjustment.

Whilst I'd love to see a fleet of DDA compliant Atlanteans on the road, I think we're going to have to settle for underpowered plastic. Sad
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Site Administrator
(24 Aug 2015, 11:17 am)Dan wrote 5306/07 both at SMR.

Mercedes Citaro 0530N/Mercedes Citaro 5306 (NK08 CHO) was returned to Deptford yesterday, and 5307 (NK08 CHV) was moved into the spray booth. Should be repainted and sent back to Deptford today.

(24 Aug 2015, 9:07 pm)aureolin wrote Fitting a ramp is the least of their worries really though.

Me and Dan had a bit of back and forth in another thread regarding how minor some of the requirements are, but on the same note, I'm confident something like an Atlantean or Olympian would require way more adjustment.

Whilst I'd love to see a fleet of DDA compliant Atlanteans on the road, I think we're going to have to settle for underpowered plastic. Sad

Yep, DDA-compliance is so much more than a bus being low-floor and equipped with a ramp.

The Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renowns are proof of this - all are low-floor and fitted with ramps (some of which are equipped with automatic ramps which I believe are more modern than your standard manual ramp), yet these aren't DDA-complaint and are having to undergo modifications to secure their future within the fleet beyond 1 January 2016.
(25 Aug 2015, 10:28 am)Coppercap40 wrote Any info as to where 562 can be found today please?

Probables be on the Npower shuttle.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Seems more problems on the 60 today someone posted that 3 turned up at once... its getting regular.. yes we can blame the traffic, road works etc but its getting ridiculous.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(25 Aug 2015, 12:20 pm)Michael wrote Seems more problems on the 60 today someone posted that 3 turned up at once... its getting regular.. yes we can blame the traffic, road works etc but its getting ridiculous.

I've been on our real-time technology most of the day sorting out some things - not sure how three buses were running together as I certainly haven't observed any vehicles running 30 minutes late...
(25 Aug 2015, 2:52 pm)Dan wrote I've been on our real-time technology most of the day sorting out some things - not sure how three buses were running together as I certainly haven't observed any vehicles running 30 minutes late...

Well i'm going by the post although 2 normally run together - sometimes.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(25 Aug 2015, 2:54 pm)Michael wrote Well i'm going by the post although 2 normally run together - sometimes.

"Normally" and "sometimes" contradict each other, Michael! Wink

It's certainly not "normal" outside of peak times but irregular variable (often unforeseeable) delays can and do happen, and, as we have discussed in the past with regards to delayed frequent services, this results in services bunching up.
Site Administrator
(25 Aug 2015, 3:01 pm)DanPicken wrote 8265 is posing as a huge health and safety risk with 2 panels hanging loose.

Not do much good reporting it on here... E-mail it to Customer Services or send it to them on Social Media.

The driver has probably already reported it as a defect though if s/he has managed to check the bus while at a terminus, and it will likely be changed over as soon as possible if so. How about letting the driver know just in case..?
(25 Aug 2015, 2:52 pm)Dan wrote I've been on our real-time technology most of the day sorting out some things - not sure how three buses were running together as I certainly haven't observed any vehicles running 30 minutes late...

Dan, when is the GNE real time display going to be published to the public via the APP?

Site Administrator
(25 Aug 2015, 3:17 pm)cbma06 wrote Dan, when is the GNE real time display going to be published to the public via the APP?

It's not too far away from being released, Chris. We're stamping out as many issues as possible before releasing the real-time app to the public (which was Arriva's downfall - as they released it while still a little buggy with some data issues).
(25 Aug 2015, 3:20 pm)Dan wrote It's not too far away from being released, Chris. We're stamping out as many issues as possible before releasing the real-time app to the public (which was Arriva's downfall - as they released it while still a little buggy with some data issues).

Cheers for the info.

(25 Aug 2015, 3:20 pm)Dan wrote It's not too far away from being released, Chris. We're stamping out as many issues as possible before releasing the real-time app to the public (which was Arriva's downfall - as they released it while still a little buggy with some data issues).

You had to add a little pop at the enemy, didn't you? Tongue
Site Administrator
(25 Aug 2015, 3:21 pm)R852 PRG wrote You had to add a little pop at the enemy, didn't you? Tongue

Me... No..!!  Cool
Site Administrator
(25 Aug 2015, 3:34 pm)GX03 SVC wrote The Arriva app was crap - why show buses following the timetable? Not very live if it's broken down...

I'm still not convinced by Arriva showing how late vehicles are running on their app..?

Surely more customers would like to know when their bus is due, rather than how late it is, or have I missed the point? I mean, when family and friends ask me when the bus is due, I usually respond by saying "In 5 minutes" rather than by saying, "Due at 16:45 - it's 13 minutes late."