Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Service Suggestions

Go North East: Service Suggestions

Go North East: Service Suggestions

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Pages (153) Previous 1128 129 130153 Next
20 Nov 2015, 8:23 pm #2,561
(20 Nov 2015, 7:34 pm)DanPicken With me living on the neighbouring Scotch Estate (South Leam) I would like this but with the 57A not serving Beacon Lough etc and running direct via Gateshead Interchange only after Heworth also I don't think the Peak 88 would need B7's just a St Wilfrids only bus running with a MPD or Solo SR. Also the 57A should be timed to run either every 10 or 7.5 combined with the 88 similar to the 45-7 now. The 88A could be kept running via Low Simonside before/after Brockley Whins/Scotch Estate.

That's were my idea of peak time extras came from, from the schools. don't think a MPD or Solo would suit that type of service though.

the idea of the 57 is to provide a more direct bus to the Toon compared to the 27 aswell as serving areas of Shields that were left with only the metro a couple of years ago now.

Like the low Simonside idea just would involve a quite lengthy loop back on itself or a route change which would involve running through the notorious Scotch Estate accesses roads I'm sure you know what I mean by notorious hahaha
South Tyne Lad
20 Nov 2015, 8:23 pm #2,561

(20 Nov 2015, 7:34 pm)DanPicken With me living on the neighbouring Scotch Estate (South Leam) I would like this but with the 57A not serving Beacon Lough etc and running direct via Gateshead Interchange only after Heworth also I don't think the Peak 88 would need B7's just a St Wilfrids only bus running with a MPD or Solo SR. Also the 57A should be timed to run either every 10 or 7.5 combined with the 88 similar to the 45-7 now. The 88A could be kept running via Low Simonside before/after Brockley Whins/Scotch Estate.

That's were my idea of peak time extras came from, from the schools. don't think a MPD or Solo would suit that type of service though.

the idea of the 57 is to provide a more direct bus to the Toon compared to the 27 aswell as serving areas of Shields that were left with only the metro a couple of years ago now.

Like the low Simonside idea just would involve a quite lengthy loop back on itself or a route change which would involve running through the notorious Scotch Estate accesses roads I'm sure you know what I mean by notorious hahaha

20 Nov 2015, 8:30 pm #2,562
(20 Nov 2015, 8:05 pm)Diamond One people like myself would go off it if that happened the 88/88A is fine the way it is right now some of my family would go off it

The 88/A are not used enough when I use it as far as Hebburn and Lukes Lane so it makes sense splitting it with the busier Jarrow - Shields section and decrease the frequency of the Jarrow - Lukes Lane section to save money and be more reliable.
And to add further no one uses the 88/A from Monkton Lane and hebburn all the way to Shields when they can use the quicker 27, The furthest they will use it will be to Jarrow which is why I split the route theere but the J1 also runs to the Morrisons with the new 88/89 to provide those affected access to Jarrow and Hebburn shopping areas aswell as fast quick connections to other destinations.
South Tyne Lad
20 Nov 2015, 8:30 pm #2,562

(20 Nov 2015, 8:05 pm)Diamond One people like myself would go off it if that happened the 88/88A is fine the way it is right now some of my family would go off it

The 88/A are not used enough when I use it as far as Hebburn and Lukes Lane so it makes sense splitting it with the busier Jarrow - Shields section and decrease the frequency of the Jarrow - Lukes Lane section to save money and be more reliable.
And to add further no one uses the 88/A from Monkton Lane and hebburn all the way to Shields when they can use the quicker 27, The furthest they will use it will be to Jarrow which is why I split the route theere but the J1 also runs to the Morrisons with the new 88/89 to provide those affected access to Jarrow and Hebburn shopping areas aswell as fast quick connections to other destinations.

DanPicken

Banned

20 Nov 2015, 8:43 pm #2,563
(20 Nov 2015, 8:09 pm)S813 FVK Do you actually use the 88/88A to Lukes Lane? If you don't, you don't really have a reason to 'go off it'.
It carries a few people an hour if lucky.

(20 Nov 2015, 8:23 pm)South Tyne Lad That's were my idea of peak time extras came from, from the schools. don't think a MPD or Solo would suit that type of service though.

I do know what you mean by notorious haha my scholars serves Low Simonside before Brockley Whins, there's only about 15 at the most apart from half days which would need a B7 but GCT may be able to do my scholars unlike GNE.
(20 Nov 2015, 8:30 pm)South Tyne Lad The 88/A are not used enough when I use it as far as Hebburn and Lukes Lane so it makes sense splitting it with the busier Jarrow - Shields section and decrease the frequency of the Jarrow - Lukes Lane section to save money and be more reliable.

My Auntie lives at Monkton Lane and only uses the 27 as the 88 is less frequent and pointless for her.
DanPicken
20 Nov 2015, 8:43 pm #2,563

(20 Nov 2015, 8:09 pm)S813 FVK Do you actually use the 88/88A to Lukes Lane? If you don't, you don't really have a reason to 'go off it'.
It carries a few people an hour if lucky.

(20 Nov 2015, 8:23 pm)South Tyne Lad That's were my idea of peak time extras came from, from the schools. don't think a MPD or Solo would suit that type of service though.

I do know what you mean by notorious haha my scholars serves Low Simonside before Brockley Whins, there's only about 15 at the most apart from half days which would need a B7 but GCT may be able to do my scholars unlike GNE.
(20 Nov 2015, 8:30 pm)South Tyne Lad The 88/A are not used enough when I use it as far as Hebburn and Lukes Lane so it makes sense splitting it with the busier Jarrow - Shields section and decrease the frequency of the Jarrow - Lukes Lane section to save money and be more reliable.

My Auntie lives at Monkton Lane and only uses the 27 as the 88 is less frequent and pointless for her.

GuyParkRoyal

21 Nov 2015, 9:49 am #2,564

The problem with splitting the 88(A) is driver changes would need to take place at Jarrow resulting in increased ineffective travel time from Washington depot. The current route using the stop on Campbell Park Road works fine with easy travel to and from Washington and plenty of space to park the van and bus.
GuyParkRoyal
21 Nov 2015, 9:49 am #2,564

The problem with splitting the 88(A) is driver changes would need to take place at Jarrow resulting in increased ineffective travel time from Washington depot. The current route using the stop on Campbell Park Road works fine with easy travel to and from Washington and plenty of space to park the van and bus.

Davie

Banned

21 Nov 2015, 11:59 pm #2,565
An X27 early morning/late evening service which is interworks with service 5 and could potentally save on dead milage.
Davie
21 Nov 2015, 11:59 pm #2,565

An X27 early morning/late evening service which is interworks with service 5 and could potentally save on dead milage.

L469 YVK

22 Nov 2015, 12:44 am #2,566
(20 Nov 2015, 7:27 pm)dannygee Yep. And the 309 with the 308. And the 1 with the 333.

What about the 310 turning at Westminsted avenue going round there and new york them back across roundabout to cobalt

The 310 could actually afford to deviate slightly  by operating between the traffic lights on Middle Engine Lane to Cobalt South via New York Way and Silver Fox Way past HP and the Nursery (same route that the 19 and briefly the 309) used to take. From the Cobalt Central roundabout, it would then turn left down Cobalt Park Way past the CBX and NCL Building Society to Cobalt South then back on normal route. Would mean that the likes of the Village, Accenture and Santander would be a bit of a walk but would be great for EE who would most likely be open on Boxing Day.
L469 YVK
22 Nov 2015, 12:44 am #2,566

(20 Nov 2015, 7:27 pm)dannygee Yep. And the 309 with the 308. And the 1 with the 333.

What about the 310 turning at Westminsted avenue going round there and new york them back across roundabout to cobalt

The 310 could actually afford to deviate slightly  by operating between the traffic lights on Middle Engine Lane to Cobalt South via New York Way and Silver Fox Way past HP and the Nursery (same route that the 19 and briefly the 309) used to take. From the Cobalt Central roundabout, it would then turn left down Cobalt Park Way past the CBX and NCL Building Society to Cobalt South then back on normal route. Would mean that the likes of the Village, Accenture and Santander would be a bit of a walk but would be great for EE who would most likely be open on Boxing Day.

L469 YVK

22 Nov 2015, 12:52 am #2,567
(20 Nov 2015, 7:35 pm)DanPicken Not really I believe the 309 came around after the Depot Swap of 2010, could be wrong.

The 309 was introduced solely by GNE in March 2007. When it got increased a year later in 2008 (same time that the 1&2 got extended), Arriva technically took on the whole 308 route using 6x E40Ds and 3x Lowlanders (they ordered 6 on the basis of GNE operating the other 3x boards but GNE focused their efforts on the 309 instead). GNE however, did operate a very limited Bargain Bus 308 service after March 2008 but when the 2010 swap happened, this went to Arriva whom then axed the extra Bargain Bus runs and just had a standard 15 minute service like what they had after March 2008.
L469 YVK
22 Nov 2015, 12:52 am #2,567

(20 Nov 2015, 7:35 pm)DanPicken Not really I believe the 309 came around after the Depot Swap of 2010, could be wrong.

The 309 was introduced solely by GNE in March 2007. When it got increased a year later in 2008 (same time that the 1&2 got extended), Arriva technically took on the whole 308 route using 6x E40Ds and 3x Lowlanders (they ordered 6 on the basis of GNE operating the other 3x boards but GNE focused their efforts on the 309 instead). GNE however, did operate a very limited Bargain Bus 308 service after March 2008 but when the 2010 swap happened, this went to Arriva whom then axed the extra Bargain Bus runs and just had a standard 15 minute service like what they had after March 2008.

26 Nov 2015, 9:59 pm #2,568
(10 Dec 2012, 6:41 pm)Dan I'd like to see the "Tyne Tees eXpress" services re-routed to include Sunderland. Though this would increase the journey time by approximately 40 minutes or so, I think this would be better.
These (improved) services could then replace Sunderland's X3 service, allowing the current Citaros and/or Renowns to be used on another service (such as the one you suggested) or to replace smaller vehicles (such as MPDs) on the 39 service.
In addition to it replacing the X3 and ultimately being a lot better (further buses after 6pm or so when the X3s finish), it could provide an additional direct service to Peterlee - the 202 would still operate to cover those stops the X9/X10 don't due to it being a limited stop service.
Those who want to stop before Boldon should use the 26 or 9 services. ;-)

Oh yeah, and this would hopefully provide a more reliable timetable. The X9/X10 services rarely have waiting time at Newcastle as they should. With the additional 10 minutes or so waiting time required at Newcastle for the timings to work as they should, the driver would actually get the waiting time!

I think it would be good if the X9 or X10 stopped off at Dalton Park too.

(21 Nov 2015, 9:49 am)GuyParkRoyal The problem with splitting the 88(A) is driver changes would need to take place at Jarrow resulting in increased ineffective travel time from Washington depot. The current route using the stop on Campbell Park Road works fine with easy travel to and from Washington and plenty of space to park the van and bus.

Can't really understand why South Tyne isn't operated from Riverside depot?
Edited 26 Nov 2015, 10:00 pm by Richard Young.
Richard Young
26 Nov 2015, 9:59 pm #2,568

(10 Dec 2012, 6:41 pm)Dan I'd like to see the "Tyne Tees eXpress" services re-routed to include Sunderland. Though this would increase the journey time by approximately 40 minutes or so, I think this would be better.
These (improved) services could then replace Sunderland's X3 service, allowing the current Citaros and/or Renowns to be used on another service (such as the one you suggested) or to replace smaller vehicles (such as MPDs) on the 39 service.
In addition to it replacing the X3 and ultimately being a lot better (further buses after 6pm or so when the X3s finish), it could provide an additional direct service to Peterlee - the 202 would still operate to cover those stops the X9/X10 don't due to it being a limited stop service.
Those who want to stop before Boldon should use the 26 or 9 services. ;-)

Oh yeah, and this would hopefully provide a more reliable timetable. The X9/X10 services rarely have waiting time at Newcastle as they should. With the additional 10 minutes or so waiting time required at Newcastle for the timings to work as they should, the driver would actually get the waiting time!

I think it would be good if the X9 or X10 stopped off at Dalton Park too.

(21 Nov 2015, 9:49 am)GuyParkRoyal The problem with splitting the 88(A) is driver changes would need to take place at Jarrow resulting in increased ineffective travel time from Washington depot. The current route using the stop on Campbell Park Road works fine with easy travel to and from Washington and plenty of space to park the van and bus.

26 Nov 2015, 10:03 pm #2,569
(03 Sep 2015, 8:29 pm)Jimmi Think there is a low bridge just outside Seaham which would prevent the allocation of double deckers on service X7.

Yes. There is a low railway bridge in the Seaham/Ryhope area, I also think this is why deckers are prevented on this route.
Richard Young
26 Nov 2015, 10:03 pm #2,569

(03 Sep 2015, 8:29 pm)Jimmi Think there is a low bridge just outside Seaham which would prevent the allocation of double deckers on service X7.

Yes. There is a low railway bridge in the Seaham/Ryhope area, I also think this is why deckers are prevented on this route.

S813 FVK

26 Nov 2015, 10:12 pm #2,570
(26 Nov 2015, 10:03 pm)Richard Young Yes.  There is a low railway bridge in the Seaham/Ryhope area, I also think this is why deckers are prevented on this route.

After guessing that the bridge in question is after Seaham as deckers can operate service 60 until that point (i know they don't follow the same route), the only railway bridge that i can find on the X7 route is going over the railway just after Spectrum Business Park on the A182. By this time, the 60 has gone up Hill Crescent which is the location of the low bridge which stops the 60 from being allocated deckers.

EDIT: It goes under a railway bridge on the B1287 just before the roundabout where it goes onto the A1018 - guessing that this is the bridge in question. An alternative route allowing deckers would be to reroute it along the A1018 then along the B1285 and Lord Byrons Walk before rejoining the B1287 as normal where Tonia's cafe is (would normally follow the road around as opposed to turning off at that junction).
Edited 26 Nov 2015, 10:18 pm by S813 FVK.
S813 FVK
26 Nov 2015, 10:12 pm #2,570

(26 Nov 2015, 10:03 pm)Richard Young Yes.  There is a low railway bridge in the Seaham/Ryhope area, I also think this is why deckers are prevented on this route.

After guessing that the bridge in question is after Seaham as deckers can operate service 60 until that point (i know they don't follow the same route), the only railway bridge that i can find on the X7 route is going over the railway just after Spectrum Business Park on the A182. By this time, the 60 has gone up Hill Crescent which is the location of the low bridge which stops the 60 from being allocated deckers.

EDIT: It goes under a railway bridge on the B1287 just before the roundabout where it goes onto the A1018 - guessing that this is the bridge in question. An alternative route allowing deckers would be to reroute it along the A1018 then along the B1285 and Lord Byrons Walk before rejoining the B1287 as normal where Tonia's cafe is (would normally follow the road around as opposed to turning off at that junction).

Malarkey

28 Nov 2015, 8:39 pm #2,571
29 - Chester le Street - Pelton Fell - Grange Villa - Beamish - Pelton - Ouston - Kibblesworth - Team Valley South - Low Fell - Bensham - Gateshead - Teams - Dunston - MetroCentre
Every 1 Hour - Merging with Service 64 and Extending from Kibblesworth to Chester le Street and MetroCentre

X29 - Chester le Street - Kibblesworth - Team Valley  - Bensham - Dunston - Newcastle
Monday to Friday Peak Time Express Merging with Service 937

10 - Hexham - Corbridge - Riding Mill - Branch End - Prudoe - Crawcrook - Ryton - Blaydon - MetroCentre - Newcastle
Every 30 Minutes - Route remains the same and Frequency remains the same, Branded "Tyneside Northumberland Connect"

11/11A - Newcastle - MetroCentre - Ryton - Crawrook - Prudoe - Prudoe Train Station - Eltringham - Mickley Square - Headley on the Mill - Leadgate - Greenside - Crawcrook - Ryton - Blaydon - MetroCentre - Newcastle
Every 15 Minutes, Services 10/10A Re-Numbered 11/11A, Merging together to Provide a Clockwise/Anti Clockwise Loop between Crawcrook and Prudoe, Branded "Tyneside Northumberland Connect"

48 - Newcastle - Scotswood Road - Blaydon - Ryton - Crawcrook - Greenside - High Spen - Chopwell - Blackhall Mill
Service 11 Re-Numbered 48 Joining the Red Kite Network, Every 30 Minutes
Malarkey
28 Nov 2015, 8:39 pm #2,571

29 - Chester le Street - Pelton Fell - Grange Villa - Beamish - Pelton - Ouston - Kibblesworth - Team Valley South - Low Fell - Bensham - Gateshead - Teams - Dunston - MetroCentre
Every 1 Hour - Merging with Service 64 and Extending from Kibblesworth to Chester le Street and MetroCentre

X29 - Chester le Street - Kibblesworth - Team Valley  - Bensham - Dunston - Newcastle

10 - Hexham - Corbridge - Riding Mill - Branch End - Prudoe - Crawcrook - Ryton - Blaydon - MetroCentre - Newcastle
Every 30 Minutes - Route remains the same and Frequency remains the same, Branded "Tyneside Northumberland Connect"

11/11A - Newcastle - MetroCentre - Ryton - Crawrook - Prudoe - Prudoe Train Station - Eltringham - Mickley Square - Headley on the Mill - Leadgate - Greenside - Crawcrook - Ryton - Blaydon - MetroCentre - Newcastle
Every 15 Minutes, Services 10/10A Re-Numbered 11/11A, Merging together to Provide a Clockwise/Anti Clockwise Loop between Crawcrook and Prudoe, Branded "Tyneside Northumberland Connect"

48 - Newcastle - Scotswood Road - Blaydon - Ryton - Crawcrook - Greenside - High Spen - Chopwell - Blackhall Mill

28 Nov 2015, 9:18 pm #2,572
Tyneside Northumberland Connect...catchy. Tongue
omnicity4659
28 Nov 2015, 9:18 pm #2,572

Tyneside Northumberland Connect...catchy. Tongue

28 Nov 2015, 9:30 pm #2,573
(28 Nov 2015, 8:39 pm)Malarkey 29 - Chester le Street - Pelton Fell - Grange Villa - Beamish - Pelton - Ouston - Kibblesworth - Team Valley South - Low Fell - Bensham - Gateshead - Teams - Dunston - MetroCentre

It probably won't join the red kite network, as the 47 is branded because on the fact that it's on part of the red kite walk route (Swalwell - rowlands gill)

Would like to see it happen though.
Jackamcardle
28 Nov 2015, 9:30 pm #2,573

(28 Nov 2015, 8:39 pm)Malarkey 29 - Chester le Street - Pelton Fell - Grange Villa - Beamish - Pelton - Ouston - Kibblesworth - Team Valley South - Low Fell - Bensham - Gateshead - Teams - Dunston - MetroCentre

It probably won't join the red kite network, as the 47 is branded because on the fact that it's on part of the red kite walk route (Swalwell - rowlands gill)

Would like to see it happen though.

cbma06

28 Nov 2015, 9:34 pm #2,574
(26 Nov 2015, 10:12 pm)S813 FVK After guessing that the bridge in question is after Seaham as deckers can operate service 60 until that point (i know they don't follow the same route), the only railway bridge that i can find on the X7 route is going over the railway just after Spectrum Business Park on the A182. By this time, the 60 has gone up Hill Crescent which is the location of the low bridge which stops the 60 from being allocated deckers.

That's why the old northern X96 service was all single decker allocation with the coaches during the day and mini mercs on evenings

cbma06
28 Nov 2015, 9:34 pm #2,574

(26 Nov 2015, 10:12 pm)S813 FVK After guessing that the bridge in question is after Seaham as deckers can operate service 60 until that point (i know they don't follow the same route), the only railway bridge that i can find on the X7 route is going over the railway just after Spectrum Business Park on the A182. By this time, the 60 has gone up Hill Crescent which is the location of the low bridge which stops the 60 from being allocated deckers.

That's why the old northern X96 service was all single decker allocation with the coaches during the day and mini mercs on evenings

Diamond One

Banned

28 Nov 2015, 9:35 pm #2,575
If GCT were to give up 515 could create a Hebburn links extending it to Jarrow as some driver once said when 27X was still around it could of extended it to Jarrow to gain more customers could have an express service again Jarrow to Newcastle and call it X27 running 515 route 27 route could run it hourly
Diamond One
28 Nov 2015, 9:35 pm #2,575

If GCT were to give up 515 could create a Hebburn links extending it to Jarrow as some driver once said when 27X was still around it could of extended it to Jarrow to gain more customers could have an express service again Jarrow to Newcastle and call it X27 running 515 route 27 route could run it hourly

DanPicken

Banned

28 Nov 2015, 10:51 pm #2,576
(28 Nov 2015, 9:35 pm)Diamond One If GCT were to give up 515 could create a Hebburn links extending it to Jarrow as some driver once said when 27X was still around it could of extended it to Jarrow to gain more customers could have an express service again Jarrow to Newcastle and call it X27 running 515 route 27 route could run it hourly

It couldn't be the X27 as one already exists.
DanPicken
28 Nov 2015, 10:51 pm #2,576

(28 Nov 2015, 9:35 pm)Diamond One If GCT were to give up 515 could create a Hebburn links extending it to Jarrow as some driver once said when 27X was still around it could of extended it to Jarrow to gain more customers could have an express service again Jarrow to Newcastle and call it X27 running 515 route 27 route could run it hourly

It couldn't be the X27 as one already exists.

BJ10VUS

30 Nov 2015, 12:02 pm #2,577
(28 Nov 2015, 10:51 pm)DanPicken It couldn't be the X27 as one already exists.

To be honest, Go North East were at one point running two 29 services. One running through Sunderland (now the 'See It Do It' services), and one running through Gateshead. Also, that X27 only runs once a year when the Great North Run is on.

I do think that an "express 27" could provide some competition with the Metro, however day tickets are not as competitively priced on the bus. For example, it's £3.80 from Jarrow to Newcastle for a Day Saver on the Metro, whereas it's over £6 for a Red & Purple Day Saver on the 27.
Edited 30 Nov 2015, 12:03 pm by BJ10VUS.
BJ10VUS
30 Nov 2015, 12:02 pm #2,577

(28 Nov 2015, 10:51 pm)DanPicken It couldn't be the X27 as one already exists.

To be honest, Go North East were at one point running two 29 services. One running through Sunderland (now the 'See It Do It' services), and one running through Gateshead. Also, that X27 only runs once a year when the Great North Run is on.

I do think that an "express 27" could provide some competition with the Metro, however day tickets are not as competitively priced on the bus. For example, it's £3.80 from Jarrow to Newcastle for a Day Saver on the Metro, whereas it's over £6 for a Red & Purple Day Saver on the 27.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

30 Nov 2015, 12:34 pm #2,578
(26 Nov 2015, 9:59 pm)Richard Young I think it would be good if the X9 or X10 stopped off at Dalton Park too.

I have been saying the same for nearly 10 years now, but the roads in and out are awkward, even now with Phase 2 nearing completion, there is not looking like any vast improvement on getting off the A19 to DP...It is pretty simple going North, straight off and back on, going going South, you have get off and double back on yourself to get into Dalton Park, if a new road was built to go in through the back, that may work, but at present you could probably add quite a few minutes at least getting into DP heading South, on a bad day it can take forever just to get off the A19.

One way round your suggestion, would be the X9 or X10 to come off the A19 at Seaton and follow the 61 to Dalton Park, maybe even add a stop at the Mallard at Deneside(I believe it goes that way when it is on Diversion anyway if the A19 is shut in that area)
MrFozz
30 Nov 2015, 12:34 pm #2,578

(26 Nov 2015, 9:59 pm)Richard Young I think it would be good if the X9 or X10 stopped off at Dalton Park too.

I have been saying the same for nearly 10 years now, but the roads in and out are awkward, even now with Phase 2 nearing completion, there is not looking like any vast improvement on getting off the A19 to DP...It is pretty simple going North, straight off and back on, going going South, you have get off and double back on yourself to get into Dalton Park, if a new road was built to go in through the back, that may work, but at present you could probably add quite a few minutes at least getting into DP heading South, on a bad day it can take forever just to get off the A19.

One way round your suggestion, would be the X9 or X10 to come off the A19 at Seaton and follow the 61 to Dalton Park, maybe even add a stop at the Mallard at Deneside(I believe it goes that way when it is on Diversion anyway if the A19 is shut in that area)

Andreos1

02 Dec 2015, 9:59 am #2,579
The 239 and the 4 on a night operate on a combined 30 min frequency on a night from Houghton to Fencehouses Railway Crossing.
Obviously the 4 continues towards Washington, whilst the 239 heads through Avenue Vivienne covering for the lack of a night time service on the 36.

On the return leg towards Houghton, the two services follow each other from Edinburgh bakery.
Not a bad little frequency at that time of night - two services 30 seconds apart.
Ideal if you miss one as the other isn't far behind.

Given the scope in timetables and lack of provision at Rainton Bridge on a night (despite people working down there and there being events on at the grandly named Rainton Meadows Arena), I wonder if it would be worth sending one of the services down there on a night and on into Houghton via the A690.

There shouldn't be too much difference in mileage.
The timetable is slack anyway (particularly the 4) and there is the potential to pick up a few more passengers. Rather than have one service shadow the other for a few miles.
Andreos1
02 Dec 2015, 9:59 am #2,579

The 239 and the 4 on a night operate on a combined 30 min frequency on a night from Houghton to Fencehouses Railway Crossing.
Obviously the 4 continues towards Washington, whilst the 239 heads through Avenue Vivienne covering for the lack of a night time service on the 36.

On the return leg towards Houghton, the two services follow each other from Edinburgh bakery.
Not a bad little frequency at that time of night - two services 30 seconds apart.
Ideal if you miss one as the other isn't far behind.

Given the scope in timetables and lack of provision at Rainton Bridge on a night (despite people working down there and there being events on at the grandly named Rainton Meadows Arena), I wonder if it would be worth sending one of the services down there on a night and on into Houghton via the A690.

There shouldn't be too much difference in mileage.
The timetable is slack anyway (particularly the 4) and there is the potential to pick up a few more passengers. Rather than have one service shadow the other for a few miles.

BusLoverMum

02 Dec 2015, 12:19 pm #2,580
(30 Nov 2015, 12:34 pm)MrFozz I have been saying the same for nearly 10 years now, but the roads in and out are awkward, even now with Phase 2 nearing completion, there is not looking like any vast improvement on getting off the A19 to DP...It is pretty simple going North, straight off and back on, going going South, you have get off and double back on yourself to get into Dalton Park, if a new road was built to go in through the back, that may work, but at present you could probably add quite a few minutes at least getting into DP heading South, on a bad day it can take forever just to get off the A19.

The TTX is often over capacity already without stopping off at another major centre. It would also beging to defeat the point of the "Express" in its name. It's currently a genuinely fast long distance service.

GNE's links to Dalton Park from the south  and west are surprisingly poor, mind. Arriva seems to have the monopoly, there, with the 22. Getting there from somewhere like Houghton is a complete faff on.
BusLoverMum
02 Dec 2015, 12:19 pm #2,580

(30 Nov 2015, 12:34 pm)MrFozz I have been saying the same for nearly 10 years now, but the roads in and out are awkward, even now with Phase 2 nearing completion, there is not looking like any vast improvement on getting off the A19 to DP...It is pretty simple going North, straight off and back on, going going South, you have get off and double back on yourself to get into Dalton Park, if a new road was built to go in through the back, that may work, but at present you could probably add quite a few minutes at least getting into DP heading South, on a bad day it can take forever just to get off the A19.

The TTX is often over capacity already without stopping off at another major centre. It would also beging to defeat the point of the "Express" in its name. It's currently a genuinely fast long distance service.

GNE's links to Dalton Park from the south  and west are surprisingly poor, mind. Arriva seems to have the monopoly, there, with the 22. Getting there from somewhere like Houghton is a complete faff on.

Pages (153) Previous 1128 129 130153 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average