Menu

Pages (4)    1 2 3 4
Andreos1   01 Sep 2017, 5:55 pm
(31 Aug 2017, 1:38 pm)BusLoverMum wrote At least you can see the muck. Imagine how much we must end up sitting on, completely unawares, on fabric seats.

I'd like to think the fabric seats were cleaned like in the link a few posys above. In reality, those seats probably absorbed the sausage roll and monster munch grease.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Adrian   02 Sep 2017, 9:07 pm
(01 Sep 2017, 5:55 pm)Andreos1 wrote I'd like to think the fabric seats were cleaned like in the link a few posys above. In reality, those seats probably absorbed the sausage roll and monster munch grease.

Aye, they will have. The eLeather is meant to benefit operators in terms of cleaning costs, as you can pretty much damp-wipe them clean, after day to day use. That being said, my experience with both GNE and Arriva, is that they don't seem to bother cleaning them that often. I have used both operators on the first bus of the morning on several occasions, and I've found the the remains of spilled drink and god knows whatever else on them.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Jimmi   02 Sep 2017, 9:24 pm
(02 Sep 2017, 9:07 pm)Adrian wrote Aye, they will have. The eLeather is meant to benefit operators in terms of cleaning costs, as you can pretty much damp-wipe them clean, after day to day use. That being said, my experience with both GNE and Arriva, is that they don't seem to bother cleaning them that often. I have used both operators on the first bus of the morning on several occasions, and I've found the the remains of spilled drink and god knows whatever else on them.

Both seem to regularly have dirt/dust around the edges of the seats, especially where the seat back and the bit you sit on meet
RobinHood   03 Sep 2017, 11:46 am
I think both Arriva and GNE outsource their cleaning to external contractors.

Arriva have been though 4 different contractors in this last 3 years. Suggests none of them have met the required standard.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Andreos1   03 Sep 2017, 11:57 am
(02 Sep 2017, 9:07 pm)Adrian wrote Aye, they will have. The eLeather is meant to benefit operators in terms of cleaning costs, as you can pretty much damp-wipe them clean, after day to day use. That being said, my experience with both GNE and Arriva, is that they don't seem to bother cleaning them that often. I have used both operators on the first bus of the morning on several occasions, and I've found the the remains of spilled drink and god knows whatever else on them.

I was thinking about the leather seats on aircraft.
Usually wiped clean prior to boarding, for each trip the aircraft does. No greasy finger prints and a pleasant environment.
Now obviously it isnt possible to do this every time a bus gets a new passenger, but it would be nice to think that they were cleaned to an extent.

Ambassador   03 Sep 2017, 1:54 pm
(03 Sep 2017, 11:57 am)VAndreos1 wrote I was thinking about the leather seats on aircraft.
Usually wiped clean prior to boarding, for each trip the aircraft does. No greasy finger prints and a pleasant environment.
Now obviously it isnt possible to do this every time a bus gets a new passenger, but it would be nice to think that they were cleaned to an extent.

The only bus I've ever seen get cleaned at a terminus whilst in service is the X66, even that only gets a cursory brush and excess litter picked up.

Whilst it's totally unreasonable to expect operators to have a perfect bus, there's no excuse for the state some if the 21s are in first thing on a morning out if Chester. The Omnidekkas are shabby enough without coke stains and rubbish strewn all over the place.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Michael   03 Sep 2017, 2:00 pm
(03 Sep 2017, 1:54 pm)Ambassador wrote The only bus I've ever seen get cleaned at a terminus whilst in service is the X66, even that. On,y gets a cursory brush and excess letter picked up.

Whilst it's totally unreasonable to expect operators to have a perfect bus, there's no excuse for the state some if the 21s are in first thing on a morning out if Chester. The Omnidekkas are shabby enough without coke stains and rubbish strewn all over the place.

Seen cleaners go on the 20/20A and 56 a few times a while back but haven't seen that for a while.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Andreos1   05 Sep 2017, 2:00 pm
(03 Sep 2017, 1:54 pm)Ambassador wrote The only bus I've ever seen get cleaned at a terminus whilst in service is the X66, even that only gets a cursory brush and excess litter picked up.

There's no excuse at all for buses to be sent out dirty from the previous day.

However, if operators and in this instance GNE, are that keen to promote their vehicles and increase passenger numbers (that may or may not have already reached their post-2006 service revision plateau), then they need to keep them tidy. 
It seems totally pointless to have refurbished the interiors (and raised our fares to pay for it), if they're going to be left in a state.

The new livery and subsequent conversation regarding the X9/10 was interesting to read when bearing this thread in mind.

How the operators ensure vehicles are cleaned is up to them to decide. I would suggest that ever increasing trend to increase layover time, gives the perfect opportunity for some sort of cleanse.
It needs to be effective and not hit the customer in the pocket, whatever the method.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
James101   06 Sep 2017, 7:14 am
(05 Sep 2017, 2:00 pm)Andreos1 wrote There's no excuse at all for buses to be sent out dirty from the previous day.

However, if operators and in this instance GNE, are that keen to promote their vehicles and increase passenger numbers (that may or may not have already reached their post-2006 service revision plateau), then they need to keep them tidy. 
It seems totally pointless to have refurbished the interiors (and raised our fares to pay for it), if they're going to be left in a state.

The new livery and subsequent conversation regarding the X9/10 was interesting to read when bearing this thread in mind.

How the operators ensure vehicles are cleaned is up to them to decide. I would suggest that ever increasing trend to increase layover time, gives the perfect opportunity for some sort of cleanse.
It needs to be effective and not hit the customer in the pocket, whatever the method.

Was there not once upon a time (around 2010?) a GNE cleaner based in Eldon Square who would give the Gold Standard buses on layover a quick once-over? Time for this role to make a comeback? Even on a short layover they could run a lobby brush round an angel in the time it takes to change destination display and load new ticket journey info.
Dan   06 Sep 2017, 7:43 am
(06 Sep 2017, 7:14 am)James101 wrote Was there not once upon a time (around 2010?) a GNE cleaner based in Eldon Square who would give the Gold Standard buses on layover a quick once-over? Time for this role to make a comeback? Even on a short layover they could run a lobby brush round an angel in the time it takes to change destination display and load new ticket journey info.

Unsure if the cleaner is still there now, but the last time I saw one was much more recent than 2010. Probably last year, I saw one sweeping out a Red Arrows bus during layover.

The one at Gateshead Interchange who quickly sweeps out the X66 buses is still there.
Jimmi   06 Sep 2017, 7:50 am
(06 Sep 2017, 7:14 am)James101 wrote Was there not once upon a time (around 2010?) a GNE cleaner based in Eldon Square who would give the Gold Standard buses on layover a quick once-over? Time for this role to make a comeback? Even on a short layover they could run a lobby brush round an angel in the time it takes to change destination display and load new ticket journey info.

Problem with that is half the time they do all that whilst driving between Gateshead Interchange and Newcastle from my experiences, good luck trying that on the 21 as it doesn't get that long at Eldon Square (and that's if it's on time of course  Wink)
Andreos1   06 Sep 2017, 8:16 am
(06 Sep 2017, 7:50 am)Jimmi wrote Problem with that is half the time they do all that whilst driving between Gateshead Interchange and Newcastle from my experiences, good luck trying that on the 21 as it doesn't get that long at Eldon Square (and that's if it's on time of course  Wink)

The blinds and machines traditionally were always done when waiting at the lights at the bottom of High Street West, when heading to Newcastle.
My awareness of interworking came about courtesy of those lights, whilst just a youngster.
Whether it's still done now, not sure. The effort to change a display is a lot more subtle and discreet, compared to the old roller blinds.

However, I think the operators need to overcome obstacles like the ones you mention, in order to keep their vehicles clean and presentable. The cleaning could be carried out at the other end, or even Chester.
Maybe, we see a Pavlov's dogs type effect where a clean bus leads to a re-condition of how passengers behave.
A clean bus may disuade passengers from making a mess. Opposed to passengers thinking that making an additional mess, wont make much difference to the mess already made.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Andreos1   21 Oct 2017, 7:50 am
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-41697...harassment

Interiors of buses to be re-designed?

BusLoverMum   21 Oct 2017, 10:35 am
(21 Oct 2017, 7:50 am)Andreos1 wrote http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-41697...harassment

Interiors of buses to be re-designed?

How about men just keep their flaming hands and crotches to themselves?
Andreos1   21 Oct 2017, 4:13 pm
(21 Oct 2017, 10:35 am)BusLoverMum wrote How about men just keep their flaming hands and crotches to themselves?

Totally aware this is going off topic (which isnt my intention) and whilst not condoning that sort of behaviour by men at all...
It isnt just men who do it.

Granted it wasnt on a bus, but recently I have had my crotch groped and had my bum smacked by different women. All within a few hours.
Not for the first time and probably not for the last.

I still cringe at (the long gone) Adam's experience on the X93 a few summers ago too.
Not sure if he is still having nightmares.

Adrian   21 Oct 2017, 4:52 pm
(21 Oct 2017, 10:35 am)BusLoverMum wrote How about men just keep their flaming hands and crotches to themselves?

Hear, hear.

I just find it incredibly sad that we need to talk about sexual harassment as much as we do, given that it is 2017.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Pages (4)    1 2 3 4