Menu

Pages (79)    141 42 4379   
OrangeArrow49   05 Jan 2020, 6:17 pm
(05 Jan 2020, 6:02 pm)Dan wrote Hey, Big O.

What happened to your website for Gateshead Central Taxis?

Gateshead Central Buses. I noticed it has gone already, that is a shame.
OrangeArrow49   05 Jan 2020, 7:13 pm
I expect the 516 will stay with Gateshead Central Taxis, as they have not had it that long. Don't see the point of the service, not very busy.
Jimbo   06 Jan 2020, 5:11 am
(05 Jan 2020, 6:02 pm)Dan wrote Hey, Big O.

What happened to your website for Gateshead Central Taxis?
They didn't make a payment for the website so got closed
LVK 404L   06 Jan 2020, 8:27 pm
(05 Jan 2020, 7:13 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote I expect the 516 will stay with Gateshead Central Taxis, as they have not had it that long. Don't see the point of the service, not very busy.
If you lived on the sections of route that don't have any other bus services you would not be saying that.   Maybe if it didn't operate at approx every 63/64 minutes and had a more regular timetable it would gain patronage.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
OrangeArrow49   06 Jan 2020, 8:36 pm
(06 Jan 2020, 8:27 pm)ifm001 wrote If you lived on the sections of route that don't have any other bus services you would not be saying that.   Maybe if it didn't operate at approx every 63/64 minutes and had a more regular timetable it would gain patronage.

I would if only a few passengers used it! Admittedly I haven't used the 516 very much, but when I have the passenger numbers have been very low. There is one bus per hour, that is more than regular enough for the passenger numbers. Yes, if the service was more regular it might gain more passengers, I argue that with the 74 (even if curtailed, rather than full route to/from Hexham), but we can't know that unfortunately. Most services in South Shields are operated by Stagecoach, I am sure if the 516 was operated by Stagecoach it would gain more passengers.
AIG20   06 Jan 2020, 8:50 pm
(06 Jan 2020, 8:36 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote I would if only a few passengers used it! Admittedly I haven't used the 516 very much, but when I have the passenger numbers have been very low. There is one bus per hour, that is more than regular enough for the passenger numbers. Yes, if the service was more regular it might gain more passengers, I argue that with the 74 (even if curtailed, rather than full route to/from Hexham), but we can't know that unfortunately. Most services in South Shields are operated by Stagecoach, I am sure if the 516 was operated by Stagecoach it would gain more passengers.

Whenever I've seen the 516 it has carried nothing but fresh air. If Nexus ever withdrew the service Stagecoach could easily reroute some services, such as the 10/11, 12/12A & 30, or create a new bus service to avoid the roads only served by the 516 being left without a bus service. I'm sure one of the reasons the 516 (or the 16 as it used to be named) was created was so that there would be a bus service on the Coast Road between Redwell Lane and the New Crown as I'm sure there was lots of backlash when Stagecoach service E3 was withdrawn?

I've seen quite a lot of Nexus funded services ran by independent operators running with very low passenger numbers. I don't know how they can afford it? Maybe that's why they aren't ran by any of the "big three".
OrangeArrow49   06 Jan 2020, 9:03 pm
(06 Jan 2020, 8:50 pm)AIG20 wrote Whenever I've seen the 516 it has carried nothing but fresh air. If Nexus ever withdrew the service Stagecoach could easily reroute some services, such as the 10/11, 12/12A & 30, or create a new bus service to avoid the roads only served by the 516 being left without a bus service. I'm sure one of the reasons the 516 (or the 16 as it used to be named) was created was so that there would be a bus service on the Coast Road between Redwell Lane and the New Crown as I'm sure there was lots of backlash when Stagecoach service E3 was withdrawn?

I've seen quite a lot of Nexus funded services ran by independent operators running with very low passenger numbers. I don't know how they can afford it? Maybe that's why they aren't ran by any of the "big three".

Whenever I have seen the 516, it has indeed been carrying nothing but fresh air, but when I have used it there has been a few passengers on with me. I was actually going to question if Stagecoach could re-route a service to replace the 516, Nexus seem to waste money funding services that are hardly used and could be withdrawn and replaced by re-routed services by the big three. Strangely the 32A and 84/84A have good passenger numbers sometimes, but even Nexus has told me passenger numbers are higher when a Nexus service is operated by any of the big three compared with independent operators. Does Stagecoach operate any Nexus contracts these days? 

When did Stagecoach withdraw the E3? When did the 16 start operating and why did it become the 516? I would like to see another service run alongside the E1. Is the Coast Road in South Shields a continuation of the Coast Road on North Tyneside?
AIG20   06 Jan 2020, 9:50 pm
(06 Jan 2020, 9:03 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote Whenever I have seen the 516, it has indeed been carrying nothing but fresh air, but when I have used it there has been a few passengers on with me. I was actually going to question if Stagecoach could re-route a service to replace the 516, Nexus seem to waste money funding services that are hardly used and could be withdrawn and replaced by re-routed services by the big three. Strangely the 32A and 84/84A have good passenger numbers sometimes, but even Nexus has told me passenger numbers are higher when a Nexus service is operated by any of the big three compared with independent operators. Does Stagecoach operate any Nexus contracts these days? 

When did Stagecoach withdraw the E3? When did the 16 start operating and why did it become the 516? I would like to see another service run alongside the E1. Is the Coast Road in South Shields a continuation of the Coast Road on North Tyneside?

From old articles and timetables I've read in the past I'm sure the E3 was withdrawn around 2003 and replaced with a rerouted E1 - which used to go straight along the Coast Road? It would be ideal for the route to be brought back as an open-top bus service. I think the 16/516 was created to provide a bus service on streets that were left without a bus service following Stagecoach cutbacks in the early 2000s.

Below is an old video on YouTube of Go North East operating the 16 bus service which went to Jarrow (and I'm sure it also went to Lukes Lane Estate when first created?), which later became the 516.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb9wLb-2eBE
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
deanmachine   07 Jan 2020, 1:35 am
(06 Jan 2020, 8:50 pm)AIG20 wrote Whenever I've seen the 516 it has carried nothing but fresh air. If Nexus ever withdrew the service Stagecoach could easily reroute some services, such as the 10/11, 12/12A & 30, or create a new bus service to avoid the roads only served by the 516 being left without a bus service. I'm sure one of the reasons the 516 (or the 16 as it used to be named) was created was so that there would be a bus service on the Coast Road between Redwell Lane and the New Crown as I'm sure there was lots of backlash when Stagecoach service E3 was withdrawn?

Part of the 516 route was created off what the 10/11 originally did up Lincoln Road, and through the Lakeside Estate when Stagecoach operated their little Mercedes Minibuses, although I can't remember if they used to also serve the Lawe Top. All I really remember is my Nanna being annoyed at me when I was a little kid that I told her the 10 went to the Nook when we were waiting for a bus on Keppel Street, I neglected to mention it went round the rest of Shields first before it got there!
Big O   16 Jan 2020, 7:30 pm
(05 Jan 2020, 5:56 pm)YOrangeArrow49 wrote Gateshead Central Taxis 32A contract extended, 13 lost and 84/84A gained.

Hey, I don’t think I’ve quoted the correct person but the website created wasn’t paid for and I got fed up of chasing them up for it so i deleted it. 

I have now left the company.
OrangeArrow49   16 Jan 2020, 9:02 pm
(16 Jan 2020, 7:30 pm)Big O wrote Hey, I don’t think I’ve quoted the correct person but the website created wasn’t paid for and I got fed up of chasing them up for it so i deleted it. 

I have now left the company.

You have quoted the wrong person. That is a shame, it was a good website.

I am not a fan of Gateshead Central Taxis.
Big O   16 Jan 2020, 9:35 pm
(16 Jan 2020, 9:02 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote You have quoted the wrong person. That is a shame, it was a good website.

I am not a fan of Gateshead Central Taxis.

Sorry, bud,

I don't want to slander my former employers but I spent a number of hours working on the site after work, which really upset me. That was the final nail in the coffin for me. Hope Go North-East is better.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Dan   16 Jan 2020, 9:40 pm
(16 Jan 2020, 9:35 pm)Big O wrote Sorry, bud,

I don't want to slander my former employers but I spent a number of hours working on the site after work, which really upset me. That was the final nail in the coffin for me. Hope Go North-East is better.

You’re a bigger man than some of their employees who were formerly employed by Go North East, who love nothing more than saying how terrible the company was during their period of employment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OrangeArrow49   19 Jan 2020, 7:51 pm
Anyone know if GCT will be operating the 84/84A with Fiat Ducato Mellor buses, or if they will use a Solos?
Rapidsnap   21 Jan 2020, 11:15 pm
(16 Jan 2020, 9:40 pm)Dan wrote You’re a bigger man than some of their employees who were formerly employed by Go North East, who love nothing more than saying how terrible the company was during their period of employment!

I possibly don't know who you could mean lol

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Kuyoyo   23 Jan 2020, 10:08 am
PB1099280/106 Registered
CENTRAL TAXIS GATESHEAD LTD
Route: Whitley Bay Metro Station to Whitley Bay Metro Station via Whitley Bay Town Centre, Whitley Lodge, Briardene
Service number: W2 ()
Service type: Normal Stopping
Effective date: 22 Mar 2020
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
GuyParkRoyal   30 Jan 2020, 5:09 pm
Central Taxis Registration for 11 & 19 Monday to Saturday evening services.

PB1099280/110 Registered
Route: The Avenue, Whitley Bay to Wallsend Metro, Interchange
Service number: 11 ()

PB1099280/109 Registered
Route: Northumberland Park Interchange, Shiremoor to NortH Shields Ferry Landing via Cobalt, Silverlink, Perly, Main Metro Station, Royal Quays
Service number: 19 ()
Michael   02 Feb 2020, 4:46 pm
PB1099280/108
New CENTRAL TAXIS GATESHEAD LTD 84 (84A) Metrocentre Interchange Byrness Bus Turning Circle, West Denton Way

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
park5354   02 Feb 2020, 5:01 pm
Central Taxis of Gateshead have won :-

W1/W1A
W2
84/84A

11 & 19 Evening & Sunday.

4 New buses on order.
Michael   02 Feb 2020, 5:07 pm
(02 Feb 2020, 5:01 pm)park5354 wrote Central Taxis of Gateshead have won :-

W1/W1A
W2
84/84A

11 & 19 Evening & Sunday.

4 New buses on order.

Will GNE tickets be accepted on the 11 and 19?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Dan   02 Feb 2020, 5:25 pm
(02 Feb 2020, 5:07 pm)Michael wrote Will GNE tickets be accepted on the 11 and 19?

Sadly not.

Michael   02 Feb 2020, 5:35 pm
(02 Feb 2020, 5:25 pm)Dan wrote Sadly not.

Can see a few complaints from the GNE customers then.

Whats the PVR for W1/W1A and W2?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Dan   02 Feb 2020, 5:41 pm
(02 Feb 2020, 5:35 pm)Michael wrote Can see a few complaints from the GNE customers then.

Probably - ‘tis the nature of the beast though and not many passengers will understand that the local authority provides some journeys so their ticket they’ve bought in the morning may not necessarily get them back home.

Two for the W1, one for the W2.

Adrian   02 Feb 2020, 5:54 pm
(02 Feb 2020, 5:35 pm)Michael wrote Can see a few complaints from the GNE customers then.

It's really up to Nexus to mitigate that when they award contract work like this. 

In the past, I've managed to give them enough earache to allow GNE tickets to be accepted on the 83A morning run, and also the 82/83 when Arriva had it on an evening. But its wholly on Nexus. Not the commercial operator or the contracted operator.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Michael   02 Feb 2020, 5:57 pm
(02 Feb 2020, 5:41 pm)Dan wrote Probably - ‘tis the nature of the beast though and not many passengers will understand that the local authority provides some journeys so their ticket they’ve bought in the morning may not necessarily get them back home.

Two for the W1, one for the W2.

So 3 spare buses for GNE then, wonder if they'll get withdrawn?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
park5354   02 Feb 2020, 6:39 pm
(02 Feb 2020, 5:57 pm)Michael wrote So 3 spare buses for GNE then, wonder if they'll get withdrawn?
724/725 might go to Riverside for 33.
709 could be a spare at Washington for 23.
GNE6312   04 Feb 2020, 9:40 pm
(02 Feb 2020, 6:39 pm)park5354 wrote 724/725 might go to Riverside for 33.
709 could be a spare at Washington for 23.
The W1 passengers will be relieved they won't get back ache from those horrible seats on 724/725. Not been on those 2 but on 722 which has the same interior and the seats were awful except at the back.
Jordan2104   04 Feb 2020, 10:53 pm
(04 Feb 2020, 9:40 pm)GNE6312 wrote The W1 passengers will be relieved they won't get back ache from those horrible seats on 724/725. Not been on those 2 but on 722 which has the same interior and the seats were awful except at the back.
Rarely allocated. They usually end up on little coaster routes.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Dan   05 Feb 2020, 5:39 am
(04 Feb 2020, 10:53 pm)Jordan2104 wrote Rarely allocated. They usually end up on little coaster routes.

I should hope they aren’t rarely allocated when they are the dedicated buses for the W1 (as 709 is for the W2!)

Dan   05 Feb 2020, 11:13 am
(02 Feb 2020, 5:54 pm)Adrian wrote It's really up to Nexus to mitigate that when they award contract work like this. 

In the past, I've managed to give them enough earache to allow GNE tickets to be accepted on the 83A morning run, and also the 82/83 when Arriva had it on an evening. But its wholly on Nexus. Not the commercial operator or the contracted operator.

It’s quite a complicated one in that the operators have to reach an agreement with the local authority to accept tickets. Usually the daytime operator has to pay for the privilege, I understand.

For something like this, the evening contracted work supplements the daytime work, so it may be in the daytime operators’ interests to reach this agreement.

Good news is that ticket acceptance has been agreed now for the 11 and 19. Contracts yet to be awarded for the evening 41s.

Pages (79)    141 42 4379