Menu

Pages (4)    1 2 3 4   
mb134   11 Apr 2020, 7:06 pm
(10 Apr 2020, 4:17 pm)omnicity4659 wrote MPDs are withdrawn at Ashington. StreetLites operating in their place.

Both MPDs still being used by Ashington. Only things taken off there completely are the Volvos and Scanias AFAIK.
omnicity4659   11 Apr 2020, 8:25 pm
(11 Apr 2020, 7:06 pm)mb134 wrote Both MPDs still being used by Ashington. Only things taken off there completely are the Volvos and Scanias AFAIK.

Apologies, noticed that today. Good Friday and the restrictions on fleet that come with it caught me off guard.
scanialover   12 Apr 2020, 3:05 pm
I wonder just how many buses would be running if our government hadn't stepped in? I've just had to dash up and back to Durham from M'hro, collect some important documents and whilst we're grateful to Arriva and its staff there wasn't more than a good car full on three services. A Stockon based VDL took me north with 4 passengers. I was the only one in Darlington operated 1610 and 4804 (?) on the journey back !! Obviously all operators are to be commended for what they are doing but the question remains ? Would they if there wasn't the funding ?
Dan   12 Apr 2020, 3:17 pm
(12 Apr 2020, 3:05 pm)scanialover wrote I wonder just how many buses would be running if our government hadn't stepped in? I've just had to dash up and back to Durham from M'hro, collect some important documents and whilst we're grateful to Arriva and its staff there wasn't more than a good car full on three services. A Stockon based VDL took me north with 4 passengers. I was the only one in Darlington operated 1610 and 4804 (?) on the journey back !! Obviously all operators are to be commended for what they are doing but the question remains ? Would they if there wasn't the funding ?

Yes, they probably would (they did before this “bail out” was announced!)

The “bail out” doesn’t cover all of the costs the company faces to run these bus services. Arriva are still running these services at a massive loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
scanialover   12 Apr 2020, 3:21 pm
Interesting that Dan. I was under the impression, perhaps naively, that the funding package paid for everything. Maybe when you get chance you can enlighten us?
streetdeckfan   12 Apr 2020, 4:17 pm
(12 Apr 2020, 3:21 pm)scanialover wrote Interesting that Dan. I was under the impression, perhaps naively, that the funding package paid for everything. Maybe when you get chance you can enlighten us?
As far as I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, the 'bail out' is only supposed to bridge the gap between the income and the costs of running the reduced services, so it essential allows them to break even.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
Dan   12 Apr 2020, 5:21 pm
(12 Apr 2020, 4:17 pm)streetdeckfan wrote As far as I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, the 'bail out' is only supposed to bridge the gap between the income and the costs of running the reduced services, so it essential allows them to break even.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Yes, the information available publicly doesn’t hold much detail of what the “bail-out” entails other than being an enhancement of BSOG - it is a good thing and absolutely what the industry needed, but by no means covers all costs. There’s a lot of hidden costs in running a bus company, quite difficult to quantify, which operators still need to face the costs of (so they’re still making significant losses!)

Lots of “people cost” for those not out there on the frontline but are still needed to help deliver schedule changes, manage bus depots, repair buses, etc.

Vehicle insurance is another massive cost which operators will still need to pay themselves. Then smaller costs, but costs nevertheless, such as ticket machine licensing. Lots of similar examples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BusLoverMum   12 Apr 2020, 6:37 pm
(12 Apr 2020, 3:05 pm)scanialover wrote I wonder just how many buses would be running if our government hadn't stepped in?  I've just had to dash up and back to Durham from M'hro, collect some important documents and whilst we're grateful to Arriva and its staff there wasn't more than a good car full on three services. A Stockon based VDL took me north with 4 passengers. I was the only one in Darlington operated 1610 and 4804 (?) on the journey back !! Obviously all operators are to be commended for what they are doing but the question remains ? Would they if there wasn't the funding ?
Everything passing us is pretty much empty, too. 

You got further than husband, though. He'd planned a journey the opposite way, to his office in Billingham, this afternoon, to pick up a decent chair and other stuff, only found his car battery dead, do couldn't!
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
scanialover   22 Apr 2020, 4:27 pm
Maybe try and get those in Arrivaland to come out and start talking? Our buses, not many of them admittedly, are still running and drivers still doing the very important job of keeping those who need to travel to do just that. Can't be easy? Be good to hear if anyone has anything to say about Arriva in the unprecedented and troublesome times
L469 YVK   22 Apr 2020, 4:40 pm
(22 Apr 2020, 4:27 pm)scanialover wrote Maybe try and get those in Arrivaland to come out and start talking? Our buses, not many of them admittedly, are still running and drivers still doing the very important job of keeping those who need to travel to do just that. Can't be easy? Be good to hear if anyone has anything to say about Arriva in the unprecedented and troublesome times
I think in the given circumstances, all NE operators are going out of their way to keep people moving to hats off to them including Arriva!
Storx   22 Apr 2020, 6:13 pm
(22 Apr 2020, 4:27 pm)scanialover wrote Maybe try and get those in Arrivaland to come out and start talking? Our buses, not many of them admittedly, are still running and drivers still doing the very important job of keeping those who need to travel to do just that. Can't be easy? Be good to hear if anyone has anything to say about Arriva in the unprecedented and troublesome times

I haven't been on them but from what I've seen there's not much to really say. Stuck with one timetable, mostly carrying fresh air and gone for a different approach to GNE in having larger vehicles than usual on the routes ie. deckers on the 52/53/54 (Jesmond) and full size singles on the 1/2 and 57 (Evening / Sunday) at Blyth. Other than that not really any rare workings and mostly not too different to a Sunday timetable bar a few services less frequent ie 308 and Blyth Expresses.
Rob44   23 Apr 2020, 5:36 pm
more changes from 26/4

Service i used when I was a young has gone to 2 hourly. Strange thing is my mate doesn't drive and is key worker and he says the service is getting bustier on a morning?

https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/coronavirus/...orth-east/
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Andreos1   23 Apr 2020, 6:23 pm
(23 Apr 2020, 5:36 pm)Rob44 wrote more changes from 26/4

Service i used when I was a young has gone to 2 hourly. Strange thing is my mate doesn't drive and is key worker and he says the service is getting bustier on a morning?

I've seen the 4 and it's purple Streetlites looking quite cosy. That's been during the day, beyond the peaks.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
BusLoverMum   23 Apr 2020, 9:40 pm
(23 Apr 2020, 5:36 pm)Rob44 wrote more changes from 26/4

Sounds like more support is needed.
Cock Robin   25 Apr 2020, 5:38 pm
(23 Apr 2020, 9:40 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Sounds like more support is needed.

Was planning on having a look ???
scanialover   10 May 2020, 11:45 am
A question please? Whilst our drivers and staff are doing such a brilliant job in these unprecedented times what gives them, an Arriva driver based at Darlington in particular, the right and responsibility to question, aggressively, people's reasons for travel? Yes we are working under the banner of essential travel only and would I wish to travel otherwise but to make what was a mercy dash to deliver medication to an elderly relative. Hell we'd spend the day previously sourcing this and to cap that we find some lowlife choses to vandalise our car. Did he honestly think I wanted to put myself and others at risk? If he'd been civil he'd have found out why and got my respect.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Dan   10 May 2020, 11:58 am
(10 May 2020, 11:45 am)scanialover wrote A question please? Whilst our drivers and staff are doing such a brilliant job in these unprecedented times what gives them, an Arriva driver based at Darlington in particular, the right and responsibility to question, aggressively, people's reasons for travel? Yes we are working under the banner of essential travel only and would I wish to travel otherwise but to make what was a mercy dash to deliver medication to an elderly relative. Hell we'd spend the day previously sourcing this and to cap that we find some lowlife choses to vandalise our car. Did he honestly think I wanted to put myself and others at risk? If he'd been civil he'd have found out why and got my respect.

Moderator note:
Post moved to the relevant thread
mb134   10 May 2020, 10:30 pm
(10 May 2020, 11:45 am)scanialover wrote A question please? Whilst our drivers and staff are doing such a brilliant job in these unprecedented times what gives them, an Arriva driver based at Darlington in particular, the right and responsibility to question, aggressively, people's reasons for travel? Yes we are working under the banner of essential travel only and would I wish to travel otherwise but to make what was a mercy dash to deliver medication to an elderly relative. Hell we'd spend the day previously sourcing this and to cap that we find some lowlife choses to vandalise our car. Did he honestly think I wanted to put myself and others at risk? If he'd been civil he'd have found out why and got my respect.

If I was driving buses, and therefore having to interact with people within the 2m distance, seeing the ever increasing number of passengers (let's remember that the guidance *still* hasn't been updated as of right now) then I'd probably be getting frustrated too. 

Anecdotally of course, every day I've been hearing from drivers that services are getting busier. Obviously shifts change, but there hasn't been a direction from the government that would result in an increase in passenger numbers compared to week 1 of lockdown. Your driver is probably, quite rightly, getting frustrated with people putting him and his family at risk unnecessarily.
Ryland   15 May 2020, 2:05 pm
A question regarding redcar?

Noticed today the the 62 is operating via ings farm like it does on a Sunday did part of the time table change go ahead withdrawn the 64 from redcar or is it due to this virus
Kuyoyo   15 May 2020, 2:11 pm
(15 May 2020, 2:05 pm)Ryland wrote A question regarding redcar?

Noticed today the the 62 is operating via ings farm like it does on a Sunday did part of the time table change go ahead withdrawn the 64 from redcar or is it due to this virus

Arriva are running to Sunday-style timetables at present (with some exceptions - X3/X3a, 28/28a, 7, 17 to Yarm and Kingsmead, X12 to Newcastle etc).

Understand service levels will begin to be reinstated from May 31st.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Kuyoyo   27 May 2020, 11:26 am
Arriva service levels from 31st May
Stuartphin1639   27 May 2020, 3:49 pm
(27 May 2020, 11:26 am)Kuyoyo wrote Arriva service levels from 31st May

By all accounts from Darlington’s end there’s some strange interworking patterns

One of which include doing a X1 to Tow Law and then a trip to Barnard Castle
Rob44   28 May 2020, 7:28 pm
My mate who is an essential worker uses the 43 44 45 route to get to new castle for work. Hes just told me tonight that for safety only 11 passengers on single decker and 20 on DD. Driver left customers at gosford high street and regent centre due to bus being "full". 4 got off at broad way east. Also the buses as every 2 hours so that would be a canny wait for those wanting to get to Brunswick or hazlerigg
mb134   28 May 2020, 7:44 pm
(28 May 2020, 7:28 pm)Rob44 wrote My mate who is an essential worker uses the 43 44 45 route to get to new castle for work. Hes just told me tonight that for safety only 11 passengers on single decker and 20 on DD.  Driver left customers at gosford high street and regent centre due to bus being "full". 4 got off at broad way east.  Also the buses as every 2 hours so that would be a canny wait for those wanting to get to Brunswick or hazlerigg

Possibly not the case in this instance, but I've heard multiple reports of key workers not being able to get on buses while pensioners are taking up seats while out for a jolly. To be fair throughout this the amount of people, particularly the elderly, who have been constantly breaking the rules is ridiculous. 

Hopefully the situation improves when services go back up on Monday - and equally hopefully the social distancing is relaxed to the WHO minimum 1M which will hugely increase bus capacity.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
streetdeckfan   28 May 2020, 8:49 pm
(28 May 2020, 7:44 pm)mb134 wrote Possibly not the case in this instance, but I've heard multiple reports of key workers not being able to get on buses while pensioners are taking up seats while out for a jolly. To be fair throughout this the amount of people, particularly the elderly, who have been constantly breaking the rules is ridiculous. 

Hopefully the situation improves when services go back up on Monday - and equally hopefully the social distancing is relaxed to the WHO minimum 1M which will hugely increase bus capacity.

Judging by the comments by the CMO today, I don't think we'll be changing from 2m any time soon
scanialover   28 May 2020, 9:04 pm
Would help if Arriva actually ran the services that they are timetabled to run! Took me 4 hours to get home after a shift today!!
peter   29 May 2020, 7:37 pm
(27 May 2020, 11:26 am)Kuyoyo wrote Arriva service levels from 31st May

One thing worth noting is that a number of the service changes due to take place in Northumberland, Tyne & Wear, Darlington, County Durham and Hartlepool from the 5th April are being implemented with these new service levels, with the rest presumably being phased in with the gradual return to pre-Covid 19 timetables. I wonder when the postponed Redcar and Cleveland changes will eventually take place, presumably not for a little while longer at least.
Kuyoyo   02 Jun 2020, 1:12 pm
(27 May 2020, 3:49 pm)Stuartphin1639 wrote By all accounts from Darlington’s end there’s some strange interworking patterns

One of which include doing a X1 to Tow Law and then a trip to Barnard Castle

Indeed, there appears to be quite a few odd interworkings across the region

Darlington have
X1/X75 (1 and 5 appear to be entirely standalone outside of peaks)
19s are interworking with the short 7s between the town centre and Harrowgate Hill
9/10/13A/13B

Stockton have just the two odd ones - 8s are interworking with 17/17a and 28/28a are interworking with 29s due to the reduced timetable on both

Durham have 49/49a/57/57a

Jesmond have 43/X16 (X16 running between Morpeth and Kirkhall only)
Ashington have 35/X21/X22 (compared to the normal Sunday of 35/X21 and X22 being on its own)
Blyth have 1/2 interworking

Of course, there's a few odd peak time and early morning workings - Stockton's includes a non-Sapphire allocation to the late 5s normally on the end of a 5A board (although most 5s are non-Sapphire as there's still only 3 Streetlites available for service).
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
mb134   03 Jun 2020, 3:37 pm
(02 Jun 2020, 1:12 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Indeed, there appears to be quite a few odd interworkings across the region

Ashington have 35/X21/X22 (compared to the normal Sunday of 35/X21 and X22 being on its own)

They also have the interworking of the X14/15, as is usually the case on Sundays only. Differing from the usual Sunday situation is that the X15s are going up to Berwick again, increasing the length of a cycle. 

The first X18 from Belford now runs onto an X20, with the first northbound X20 from Ashington running onto the X18.
Stuartphin1639   03 Jun 2020, 6:08 pm
(02 Jun 2020, 1:12 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Indeed, there appears to be quite a few odd interworkings across the region

Darlington have
X1/X75 (1 and 5 appear to be entirely standalone outside of peaks)
19s are interworking with the short 7s between the town centre and Harrowgate Hill
9/10/13A/13B

Stockton have just the two odd ones - 8s are interworking with 17/17a and 28/28a are interworking with 29s due to the reduced timetable on both

Durham have 49/49a/57/57a

Jesmond have 43/X16 (X16 running between Morpeth and Kirkhall only)
Blyth have 1/2 interworking

Of course, there's a few odd peak time and early morning workings - Stockton's includes a non-Sapphire allocation to the late 5s normally on the end of a 5A board (although most 5s are non-Sapphire as there's still only 3 Streetlites available for service).

There’s quite a few on a night time too

1 vehicles of the X66 end up on night time 7/5/1
1 vehicle off the 1 end up on the 18:15 service 7
1 vehicle off the 7 ends up on X26
1 vehicle off the X26 ends up out all night again
1 vehicle off the X21 ends up on the last X75
Pages (4)    1 2 3 4