Menu

Pages (24)    120 21 2224   
cbma06   23 Feb 2021, 8:05 pm
(23 Feb 2021, 8:00 pm)MichealAaron wrote I just thought it would be easier to withdraw the X9 as the X10 does the X9 route on a Sunday and Evening anyway and with the current lockdown. Wouldn't it be easier to make the X10 every 30 mins

At present in this pandemic there’s no demand for the X10 to run every 30 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was there a problem with 6377 tonight, destination blind was not in service , parked up on stand for Newcastle at Peterlee bus station, the bus was stationary at least 30 minutes onwards

Andreos1   23 Feb 2021, 8:48 pm
(23 Feb 2021, 8:05 pm)cbma06 wrote At present in this pandemic there’s no demand for the X10 to run every 30 minutes

Was there a problem with 6377 tonight, destination blind was not in service , parked up on stand for Newcastle at Peterlee bus station, the bus was stationary at least 30 minutes onwards

They've reported a breakdown on the route tonight. Not sure if it's 6377 or something else.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
big mac   25 Feb 2021, 6:31 pm
With the ticketing, is the fact that to use the x9/X10 requires it's own separate day ticket something that causes confusion amongst passengers or not? I can just imagine someone getting on with a normal go north east day ticket and bring surprised that it isn't valid on the service.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan   25 Feb 2021, 6:40 pm
(25 Feb 2021, 6:31 pm)big mac wrote With the ticketing, is the fact that to use the x9/X10 requires it's own separate day ticket something that causes confusion amongst passengers or not? I can just imagine someone getting on with a normal go north east day ticket and bring surprised that it isn't valid on the service.

I would think so, especially if they're connecting from another service first.

If you buy an All Zone ticket in Stanley, get to Newcastle and realise you can't actually use it on the GNE service to Middlesbrough. You'd be pretty annoyed having to buy yet another day ticket.

I'd imagine the average person wouldn't think to ask for an X9/X10 Plus ticket (or whatever stupid name it has) when they're boarding the X30

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
JACK6081   25 Feb 2021, 7:49 pm
I see east yorkshire 90 transferring to go north east assuming it'll be a spare or for rail reps etc
Benny   25 Feb 2021, 8:32 pm
(23 Feb 2021, 7:59 pm)Storx wrote The train takes the same time as the bus end to end. Trains for a commuter are a hell of a lot more desirable as if a train takes 85 minutes, it'll take 85 minutes. If a bus takes 85 minutes, it might take 85 minutes but that's depending on traffic and a long route like the X9/X10 it's more likely to be hit somewhere.

If you use trains often you know that isn't the case.  Northern & TPE are notorious for delays and cancellations.  Pre-Covid you were lucky to get on the train if you boarded at Seaham they got that full. 

As said before the X10 would not be extended by much to serve BIllingham (as it already drives through). Locals aren't using it to get to and from Teesside and for long distance travellers from Newcastle to get to Middlesbrough a faster link could be provided by the X9 running non stop from Peterlee to Middlesbrough (and could even get some people using it from the X22)
big mac   26 Feb 2021, 1:24 pm
(25 Feb 2021, 6:40 pm)streetdeckfan wrote I would think so, especially if they're connecting from another service first.

If you buy an All Zone ticket in Stanley, get to Newcastle and realise you can't actually use it on the GNE service to Middlesbrough. You'd be pretty annoyed having to buy yet another day ticket.

I'd imagine the average person wouldn't think to ask for an X9/X10 Plus ticket (or whatever stupid name it has) when they're boarding the X30

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
Exactly. People are logically going to think as they've got a Go North East ticket they can use a Go North East bus.

Is it common practice amongst operators elsewhere to exclude their own services from their own day and monthly tickets?

Andreos1   26 Feb 2021, 1:36 pm
(26 Feb 2021, 1:24 pm)big mac wrote Exactly. People are logically going to think as they've got a Go North East ticket they can use a Go North East bus. 

Is it common practice amongst operators elsewhere to exclude their own services from their own day and monthly tickets?

Even the wording on the website is poor. Not clear at all. 

I'm guessing that those travelling from Teesside need to buy these tickets and it's not unique to those travelling to Teesside.

And to answer your question, no I don't think it is common for operators to exclude services from their normal offering. 
It would be interesting to know how many passengers have needed to buy an extra day ticket when getting on the X9/10 AFTER buying a day ticket already.
For some, an Explorer or the train is going to be a better option based on finances alone.
However nice those coaches may be.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
streetdeckfan   26 Feb 2021, 3:17 pm
(26 Feb 2021, 1:36 pm)Andreos1 wrote Even the wording on the website is poor. Not clear at all. 

I'm guessing that those travelling from Teesside need to buy these tickets and it's not unique to those travelling to Teesside.

And to answer your question, no I don't think it is common for operators to exclude services from their normal offering. 
It would be interesting to know how many passengers have needed to buy an extra day ticket when getting on the X9/10 AFTER buying a day ticket already.
For some, an Explorer or the train is going to be a better option based on finances alone.

I think there should be an option to have an add-on for those who don't have the X9/X10 ticket, like they do with the AD-122, so at least those who forgot don't have to fork out for another expensive day ticket
Andreos1   26 Feb 2021, 3:47 pm
(26 Feb 2021, 3:17 pm)streetdeckfan wrote I think there should be an option to have an add-on for those who don't have the X9/X10 ticket, like they do with the AD-122, so at least those who forgot don't have to fork out for another expensive day ticket

Agreed. Or just simplify it so that all tickets are valid on all services. 
At the very least, it needs making clear on the website that the normal tickets arent valid.

Barriers need removing, not putting in place. However subtle they may be.

big mac   26 Feb 2021, 4:51 pm
(26 Feb 2021, 1:36 pm)Andreos1 wrote Even the wording on the website is poor. Not clear at all. 

That surely must have happened before, in that someone has boarded the x9/X10, put their code under the scanner and it makes that horrible noise that rejects it. The driver then has the unenviable task of having to explain the situation to the customer who won't be very happy.

I know Go North Easts argument will probably be that it's a"premium" service or whatever they want to call it that operates outside of their normal geographical area and that the ticket price needs to be higher as a result.

However, I would say it would be so much simpler to just include it In with the regular ticketing, and I wonder how many potential passengers are put off from using the x9/X10 because of the ticket situation.

Ianthegoon   26 Feb 2021, 7:27 pm
Discussion of ticket validities has alarmed me a little!

Can I just clarify whether the multi-operator tickets, the "Day Rover" at £7.80 and the "Explorer" at £10.90, are valid on the X9 and the X10?
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Storx   26 Feb 2021, 7:30 pm
(26 Feb 2021, 7:27 pm)Ianthegoon wrote Discussion of ticket validities has alarmed me a little!

Can I just clarify whether the multi-operator tickets, the "Day Rover" at £7.80 and the "Explorer" at £10.90, are valid on the X9 and the X10?

Day Rover (bar between Testo's and Newcastle) no - it's T&W only.
Explorer is yes.
Ianthegoon   26 Feb 2021, 7:32 pm
(26 Feb 2021, 7:30 pm)Storx wrote Day Rover (bar between Testo's and Newcastle) no - it's T&W only.
Explorer is yes.

I have a habit of being at Heworth Metro at about the time an X9 or X10 is heading into Newcastle - would that be valid or not?
Storx   26 Feb 2021, 7:48 pm
(26 Feb 2021, 7:32 pm)Ianthegoon wrote I have a habit of being at Heworth Metro at about the time an X9 or X10 is heading into Newcastle - would that be valid or not?

Yeah, this is what they're allowed on:

You can travel the length and breadth of the region on local bus services operated by all the participating companies listed below:
  • Arriva North East
  • Go North East
  • Shields Ferry
  • Stagecoach North East & Cumbria services within the Carlisle city boundary
  • Travelsure**
  • Tyne & Wear Metro
Please note that the Explorer North East Ticket is NOT valid on:
– Trains (except Sunderland to Blaydon rail line)
– National Express coaches
– Pre-booked coach tours
– Hadrian’s Wall service
– Moorbus services
– City sightseeing tours

The DayRover is anything above but inside T&W only. Unless things have changed the Explorer ticket from Arriva won't work on a GNE ticket machine and vice versa though so don't look like a twat and scan it.
Andreos1   26 Feb 2021, 7:48 pm
(26 Feb 2021, 4:51 pm)big mac wrote That surely must have happened before, in that someone has boarded the x9/X10, put their code under the scanner and it makes that horrible noise that rejects it.  The driver then has the unenviable task of having to explain the situation to the customer who won't be very happy.

I know Go North Easts argument will probably be that it's a"premium" service or whatever they want to call it that operates outside of their normal geographical area and that the ticket price needs to be higher as a result. 

However, I would say it would be so much simpler to just include it In with the regular ticketing, and I wonder how many potential passengers are put off from using the x9/X10 because of the ticket situation.

I bet it has. 

Took a screenshot earlier but forgot to upload it. Nowt about the normal day tickets not being valid at all.

Pretty poor that's the case.
Attached Files

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Ianthegoon   26 Feb 2021, 8:02 pm
(26 Feb 2021, 7:48 pm)Storx wrote Yeah, this is what they're allowed on:

You can travel the length and breadth of the region on local bus services operated by all the participating companies listed below:
  • Arriva North East
  • Go North East
  • Shields Ferry
  • Travelsure**
  • Tyne & Wear Metro
– Pre-booked coach tours
– Hadrian’s Wall service
– Moorbus services
– City sightseeing tours

The DayRover is anything above but inside T&W only. Unless things have changed the Explorer ticket from Arriva won't work on a GNE ticket machine and vice versa though so don't look like a twat and scan it.

OK, that's the standard blurb from the "NetworkOne" web site, was just checking to see whether anything there had changed, particularly in light of some of the comments that there was a specific X9/X10 version of some of the other tickets.

The twist I had with the GNE / Arriva scanners was drivers insisting that I scan the ticket, even though it was issued by the other company.  Mostly they'd register after I pointed this out, some insisted that I scan anyway before working out why it wouldn't work, and a couple of numpties were adamant it wasn't valid because it was for the other company, "and look, it doesn't scan, that proves it"!
Storx   26 Feb 2021, 8:07 pm
(26 Feb 2021, 8:02 pm)Ianthegoon wrote OK, that's the standard blurb from the "NetworkOne" web site, was just checking to see whether anything there had changed, particularly in light of some of the comments that there was a specific X9/X10 version of some of the other tickets.

The twist I had with the GNE / Arriva scanners was drivers insisting that I scan the ticket, even though it was issued by the other company.  Mostly they'd register after I pointed this out, some insisted that I scan anyway before working out why it wouldn't work, and a couple of numpties were adamant it wasn't valid because it was for the other company, "and look, it doesn't scan, that proves it"!

Nah no restrictions for the X9/X10.

Not surprised, had that a few times. Never rejected though mind. I used to have issues with using the Blyth / T&W tickets to go down to Birtley on the X12. It's even worse trying to buy one to go the other way, just got to the stage it's easier to show them how to print them. It doesn't help when using the student tickets some of them are YP BH + TYNE but the next one will be ST ASH + TYNE so it's all over the place. (Young Person - YP or Student - ST since they can't decide the name of them).
streetdeckfan   26 Feb 2021, 11:16 pm
Another service that it's not really clear about the tickets not being valid is the 40 Cathedral Bus. There's literally no mention anywhere on the website that GNE tickets aren't accepted.
Unless that's changed now?
Ianthegoon   27 Feb 2021, 10:34 am
(26 Feb 2021, 11:16 pm)streetdeckfan wrote Another service that it's not really clear about the tickets not being valid is the 40 Cathedral Bus. There's literally no mention anywhere on the website that GNE tickets aren't accepted.
Unless that's changed now?

Don't know about the GNE only tickets, but the Explorer is valid on the 40.

(The benefits of being in a location where the multi-operator tickets make better sense than the single-operator ones!)
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
MichealAaron   27 Feb 2021, 12:32 pm
I've used the Explorer ticket. It's valid on the X9/X10. When the seasider by stagecoach was on the T&W Day rover was valid but not valid on Toon Tour. The Explorer can get u to Carlisle apparently but only on the Stagecoach 685. I've used both Tyne and Wear day rovers and Explorer on each other companies. I've looked stupid showing the driver on a GNE bus an Arriva T&W Dau rover or Explorer
Rob44   27 Feb 2021, 1:17 pm
(27 Feb 2021, 12:32 pm)MichealAaron wrote I've used the Explorer ticket. It's valid on the X9/X10. When the seasider by stagecoach was on the T&W Day rover was valid but not valid on Toon Tour. The Explorer can get u to Carlisle apparently but only on the Stagecoach 685. I've used both Tyne and Wear day rovers and Explorer on each other companies. I've looked stupid showing the driver on a GNE bus an Arriva T&W Dau rover or Explorer

I would have though the explorer would have been valid on the arriva service to Carlisle too?
LVK 404L   27 Feb 2021, 1:24 pm
(27 Feb 2021, 1:17 pm)Rob44 wrote I would have though the explorer would have been valid on the arriva service to Carlisle too?
It is
Mark1   27 Feb 2021, 6:44 pm
(27 Feb 2021, 1:24 pm)ifm001 wrote It is
I think the Stagecoach North West Explorer is valid on both Arriva and Stagecoach 685's as well
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
xpm   27 Feb 2021, 9:08 pm
The NW explorer (not to be confused with the standard NE explorer which most people refer to) is not valid on GNE services, never has been, although stagecoach as you say do seem to allow you to travel all the way to Newcastle on the 685 on it, it is primarily a Cumbria ticket(for the area most people on this forum will associate anyway).

Fine showing a stagecoach or Arriva app explorer ticket to the driver, as although both use ticketer - they won’t scan on GNE machines, same with paper tickets too.
big mac   28 Feb 2021, 6:23 pm
Was thinking for the ticketing could an extra zone not just be created that covers Stockton and Middlesbrough? Therefore if people want to travel the full distance on the X10 they can just get a ticket that covers that zone, and if they're just going to Peterlee or Dalton Park etc they can get a ticket that covers that area, therefore there's no need to have separate X10 tickets.

TEN 6083   05 Mar 2021, 5:28 pm
7151 has entered service

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MetrolineGA1511   06 Mar 2021, 3:44 pm
(25 Feb 2021, 6:31 pm)big mac wrote With the ticketing, is the fact that to use the x9/X10 requires it's own separate day ticket something that causes confusion amongst passengers or not?  I can just imagine someone getting on with a normal go north east day ticket and bring surprised that it isn't valid on the service.

When I come to Newcastle in August I shall use the route on a day that I am already getting a North East Explorer, to avoid this Go North East fare differential.

(26 Feb 2021, 7:48 pm)Storx wrote Yeah, this is what they're allowed on:

• Arriva North East
  • Go North East
  • Shields Ferry
  • Travelsure**
  • Tyne & Wear Metro
– Pre-booked coach tours
– Hadrian’s Wall service
– Moorbus services
– City sightseeing tours

That reminds me of when I was in Leeds in December 2019.  The Transdev driver issued my all-operator bus ticket from the Ticketer machine.  However, no scanners on any other company bus recognised it!  The drivers were fine when I showed them the ticket though.  It just defeats the object of the bar code if other companies do not recognise them.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
ASX_Terranova   17 Mar 2021, 10:28 am
Suprised no-one has posted about the mock x-lines levante currently on sale at ensign.

https://www.ensignbus.com/2015-volvo-b11rt.html

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
NewcastleOne   17 Mar 2021, 2:25 pm
(17 Mar 2021, 10:28 am)ASX_Terranova wrote Suprised no-one has posted about the mock x-lines levante currently on sale at ensign.

https://www.ensignbus.com/2015-volvo-b11rt.html
Updated only 5 days ago
Pages (24)    120 21 2224