You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

New 2/2A brand name - Sunderland District Berries

RE: New 2/2A brand name - Sunderland District Berries
(25 Jun 2021, 7:40 pm)GNE6312 wrote Looks and sounds good.

I'm not keen, why not just "Sunderland District"

We still haven't heard what brand name the ex X-lines Solo's are getting.... bet its "Sunderland Mini Berries"
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(25 Jun 2021, 7:32 pm)Michael wrote Just checking the time for the 2/2A for a friend and the new timetable pops up with the brand name on...

Sunderland District Berries

https://passenger-line-assets.s3.eu-west...4b61ab.pdf

Get ready for the Peterlee Plums, Blaydon Bananas, and Newcastle Nectarines... 

Thought the idea with all these route re-brandings was to get rid of irrelevant brands? 

Oh, and I'm sure it's no coincidence that this exists: https://www.flickr.com/photos/103374223@...37-26eVKBg
Who, apart from spotters, is going to start suggesting that they get the "Sunderland District Berries" bus to work?

This along with East Gateshead Rider and whatever other crap Stenning has produced isn't exactly roll-of-your-tongue material. Just branding for the sake of branding.

There are attractions in Sunderland and Penshaw that inspiration could've been derived from, but clearly someone in London doesn't know the importance of these places compared to local designers.
(25 Jun 2021, 7:32 pm)Michael wrote Just checking the time for the 2/2A for a friend and the new timetable pops up with the brand name on...

Sunderland District Berries

https://passenger-line-assets.s3.eu-west...4b61ab.pdf

Deja vu?

[Image: 49601100821_3f4eb41562.jpg]
679 YY69TNF READING BUSES LITTLE BERRIES by david smith, on Flickr
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Awful awful awful.
Why, just why?
It’s as meaningless and as pointless as Little Pinks.

And having a three word route name is just ridiculous. Passengers aren’t going to refer to it as that and it’s just too much to be repeated over the NSAs every time the doors close.

Recently it feels like 2 steps forward 1 step back, maybe more.
Site Administrator
(25 Jun 2021, 8:45 pm)citaro5284 wrote At least this discussion has brighten up a rather dull Friday neet since there is no footie on

All these berries have definitely made for a fruity Friday evening discussion…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Genuinely thought that it was some sort of typo in the title thread of the post and it had autocorrected buses to berries. 

Never for a moment did I think that it would be correct and that was the name of a new brand.

For all the jokes and pun(net)s, I can unfortunately see this being the start of S&D and other various fruits running out of Deptford and Peterlee.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(25 Jun 2021, 8:43 pm)Micheal Aaron wrote It's okay. It will look better when it's out on the road. At least there's a better journey to Washington/Sunderland now

Is that you saying the Versa's are better than the Streetlites?

(25 Jun 2021, 8:49 pm)Andreos1 wrote Genuinely thought that it was some sort of typo in the title thread of the post and it had autocorrected buses to berries. 

Never for a moment did I think that it would be correct and that was the name of a new brand.

For all the jokes and pun(net)s, I can unfortunately see this being the start of S&D and other various fruits running out of Deptford and Peterlee.

Bet the Solo's at Deptford are called "Sunderland Mini Berries"
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(25 Jun 2021, 9:17 pm)Michael wrote Is that you saying the Versa's are better than the Streetlites?

I wonder if they could resist going for Little Plums

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
They are just coming up with new brands for the sake of it now. They’ve obviously got a remit that says everything that existed before is rubbish and must be changed.

Brand names should be no more than 2 words (excluding “The” or “And”), 3 words are far too clunky that nobody will ever say in real life
All of this branding is getting silly now! So in the last decade or so the 2/2A/C has had Silver Arrows, SimpliCity, Black Cats and now Sunderland District Berries! Passengers must be getting a bit fed up with all this now. Can someone prove to me that constant rebranding actually works and whether or not passenger numbers increase? In my opinion and from what i've seen it doesn't. The old Silver Arrows 2A/C was every 10 minutes combined. Then changed to SimpliCity, where the frequency was then reduced to every 15 mins combined. Less frequency, less buses, so obviously less passengers!

I would like to see GNE keep their range of stunning range of X-Lines liveries and brand all minibus services that serve towns and cities as MiniLinks (as previously branded around mid 80s - 90s) in an updated form of course. Each town's "MiniLinks" brand could have a different colour (Red for Sunderland, Blue for Washington). The rest of the routes should all be repainted into one corperate livery permanently, and occasionally the odd bus could be used for Transit advertising as before and that way GNE would make money from the advertising. They really need to keep their brand image simple in my opinion and look to explore more ways of creating new routes, such as the new X11 which I think is a great idea!
(26 Jun 2021, 7:17 am)MurdnunoC wrote Imagine the scenes if the proposed Easington Eggplants and the Seaham Splashes passed each other on-route?

Sounds like a local am-dram interpretation of West Side Story that.
Instead of the Jets and Sharks, we've got the eggplants and splashes.
(26 Jun 2021, 7:17 am)MurdnunoC wrote Imagine the scenes if the proposed Easington Eggplants and the Seaham Splashes passed each other on-route?

God help us if there's a stray Consett Cucumber as well.
(25 Jun 2021, 9:17 pm)Michael wrote Is that you saying the Versa's are better than the Streetlites?

Could be.
I was wondering if each 'route', would have a colour or fruit attached to it like the S&D lemons/yellows
The 2/2A seem to be quite frequent, are they that well used I don’t remember seeing many full when I used to drive in Sunderland?
I think the 2/2A should be split back into 2 at Sunderland. The 2/2A branded as the Sunderland District Pendulum (Back and forth between Sunderland and Washington). And the southern section as the 42 as the Sunderland District Rambler (Rambling its way through Ryhope)
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
(25 Jun 2021, 7:57 pm)omnicity4659 wrote Who, apart from spotters, is going to start suggesting that they get the "Sunderland District Berries" bus to work?

This along with East Gateshead Rider and whatever other crap Stenning has produced isn't exactly roll-of-your-tongue material. Just branding for the sake of branding.

There are attractions in Sunderland and Penshaw that inspiration could've been derived from, but clearly someone in London doesn't know the importance of these places compared to local designers.
Does indeed seem like branding for the sake of it.

Are we going to see a return of the Lime? Sunderlanddistrict limes 
or perhaps Sunderlanddistrict Lemons, Sunderlanddistrict Oranges - are the black/red minibuses perhaps Sunderlanddistrict coals?
Is it just me who thinks painting everything in the same area the same colour as pointless.

The original branded worked as everything had different colours so you knew them by that.

ie. in Gateshead

Black = Loop
Purple = Orbit
Yellow = Quaylink
Pink = Angel
Orange = Fab 56
Blue = Fab 57
Green = Highwayman
Gold = Citylink
Red = Red Arrows
Creme = Coaster
Maroon = Waggonway / Crusader (Issue there)

It made sense as you knew what your bus was before it came, think that's everything as it was at first.

Now everything is the same colour or brand it doesn't really work. Little Coasters for example being one and the Cobalt and Coast (used to be Cobalt Clipper and Centurion).