Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company

X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company

X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (36) Previous 134 35 36 Next
08 Jul 2021, 6:50 pm #681
(08 Jul 2021, 6:30 pm)Adrian Not suggesting that it is, but regarding the bit in bold: How do you know? Contact tracing cannot and give you that level of information, and a venue alert cannot be triggered as bus stations and buses don't have venue check-in posters. Only (presumably/hopefully!) depots and canteens would?
Aren't drivers advised to turn off the tracking when they're at work?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
08 Jul 2021, 6:50 pm #681

(08 Jul 2021, 6:30 pm)Adrian Not suggesting that it is, but regarding the bit in bold: How do you know? Contact tracing cannot and give you that level of information, and a venue alert cannot be triggered as bus stations and buses don't have venue check-in posters. Only (presumably/hopefully!) depots and canteens would?
Aren't drivers advised to turn off the tracking when they're at work?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

08 Jul 2021, 7:14 pm #682
(08 Jul 2021, 4:22 pm)Adrian Surprised to see a whole service knocked on the head, taking it down to hourly Newcastle to Middlesbrough. Especially when Nexus contracts and Arriva work is still being covered. You'd think their own commercial routes would take precedence.

Everywhere seems to be getting hit by track and trace pings at the moment, but we should remember that bus operators started dropping the right to maintain social distancing on board about 6 weeks ago now, convincing us it was a safe move. Despite rising case numbers, and evidently requests for staff to enter isolation.

It's more of a Riverside issue apparently, they can continue to cover the Nexus and Arriva stuff because Chester le Street and Deptford haven't been effected as bad. Although all depots are suffering with these Track and Trace pings.
deanmachine
08 Jul 2021, 7:14 pm #682

(08 Jul 2021, 4:22 pm)Adrian Surprised to see a whole service knocked on the head, taking it down to hourly Newcastle to Middlesbrough. Especially when Nexus contracts and Arriva work is still being covered. You'd think their own commercial routes would take precedence.

Everywhere seems to be getting hit by track and trace pings at the moment, but we should remember that bus operators started dropping the right to maintain social distancing on board about 6 weeks ago now, convincing us it was a safe move. Despite rising case numbers, and evidently requests for staff to enter isolation.

It's more of a Riverside issue apparently, they can continue to cover the Nexus and Arriva stuff because Chester le Street and Deptford haven't been effected as bad. Although all depots are suffering with these Track and Trace pings.

BusLoverMum

08 Jul 2021, 10:25 pm #683
(07 Jul 2021, 11:25 pm)jasondarby123 Not wanting to cause a stir, but I've noticed a lot of tweets for breakdowns on X9/X10, and most days I see either 6377 or a B9 running down the A19.

Although obviously more reliable than 6308-13, are they that reliable?
It's keeping on keeping on, then! That route is a bus killer.

But when people testing positive get the call they can say they took x bus at Y time so it gets narrowed down to a specific driver who has to isolate under current rules.
Edited 08 Jul 2021, 10:29 pm by BusLoverMum.
BusLoverMum
08 Jul 2021, 10:25 pm #683

(07 Jul 2021, 11:25 pm)jasondarby123 Not wanting to cause a stir, but I've noticed a lot of tweets for breakdowns on X9/X10, and most days I see either 6377 or a B9 running down the A19.

Although obviously more reliable than 6308-13, are they that reliable?
It's keeping on keeping on, then! That route is a bus killer.

But when people testing positive get the call they can say they took x bus at Y time so it gets narrowed down to a specific driver who has to isolate under current rules.

big mac

09 Jul 2021, 8:12 am #684
(08 Jul 2021, 6:44 am)GNE6312 Those elites are abysmally unreliable and personally I think getting them has turned from a good thing to an awful idea. Would have been better using more heavy duty service buses (Snania E400MMCs or 6 Cylinder Streetdecks) allocated. Wouldn't be surprised if an older service bus outlives those coaches
For years people had been saying regular buses are unsuitable for the x9/x10 and they should have coaches. Now that they've got coaches they're still breaking down by the sound of it. It begs the question is there any vehicle that actually IS suitable for the route?

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk
big mac
09 Jul 2021, 8:12 am #684

(08 Jul 2021, 6:44 am)GNE6312 Those elites are abysmally unreliable and personally I think getting them has turned from a good thing to an awful idea. Would have been better using more heavy duty service buses (Snania E400MMCs or 6 Cylinder Streetdecks) allocated. Wouldn't be surprised if an older service bus outlives those coaches
For years people had been saying regular buses are unsuitable for the x9/x10 and they should have coaches. Now that they've got coaches they're still breaking down by the sound of it. It begs the question is there any vehicle that actually IS suitable for the route?

Ds1197

09 Jul 2021, 8:30 am #685
(09 Jul 2021, 8:12 am)big mac For years people had been saying regular buses are unsuitable for the x9/x10 and they should have coaches.  Now that they've got coaches they're still breaking down by the sound of it. It begs the question is there any vehicle that actually IS suitable for the route?

I think one of the problems is that there pre owned coaches I think GNE got them with a swap for brand new Streetdecks
Ds1197
09 Jul 2021, 8:30 am #685

(09 Jul 2021, 8:12 am)big mac For years people had been saying regular buses are unsuitable for the x9/x10 and they should have coaches.  Now that they've got coaches they're still breaking down by the sound of it. It begs the question is there any vehicle that actually IS suitable for the route?

I think one of the problems is that there pre owned coaches I think GNE got them with a swap for brand new Streetdecks

Drifter60

09 Jul 2021, 9:32 am #686
(08 Jul 2021, 6:07 pm)RobinHood We should also remember that there reasoning for this reduction clearly states 'non-work related track and trace app self-isolation alerts'. Nothing to do with increased capacity?

This is just PR speak, and not wanting to cause any panic that buses aren’t safe/covid secure. Realistically there’s no way you can 100% know where you’ve been pinged from the information is data protected as it’s healthcare. Even if GNE could ask drivers to turn off the contact tracing app, there’s no guarantee to say “Y driver” hasn’t put down “X Driver” and “Z Driver” as close contacts when they had a meal break together twice last week. X and Z driver wouldn’t realistically know where they’re isolating from unless Y driver tells them. 

As for dropping the X9, I wonder if it’s a combinations of factors. 1) Less work travel, particularly those commuting longer distance isn’t recovered to normal levels, guidance is still working from home and even after July 19th it wouldn’t be flick of a switch 2) Slightly related, but I think there’s still a little bit of pandemic trends at play, such as to stay local to certain extent and avoid transport where you might not have in the past. 3) The coaches being unreliable 4) You can cover all the same places with the evening and Sunday route*

*It always slightly annoys me that they never remember about the A19 slip road bus stop heading Northbound, usually on the X10 route, when doing the evening route, it misses this bus stop but it’s never effectively communicated.
Drifter60
09 Jul 2021, 9:32 am #686

(08 Jul 2021, 6:07 pm)RobinHood We should also remember that there reasoning for this reduction clearly states 'non-work related track and trace app self-isolation alerts'. Nothing to do with increased capacity?

This is just PR speak, and not wanting to cause any panic that buses aren’t safe/covid secure. Realistically there’s no way you can 100% know where you’ve been pinged from the information is data protected as it’s healthcare. Even if GNE could ask drivers to turn off the contact tracing app, there’s no guarantee to say “Y driver” hasn’t put down “X Driver” and “Z Driver” as close contacts when they had a meal break together twice last week. X and Z driver wouldn’t realistically know where they’re isolating from unless Y driver tells them. 

As for dropping the X9, I wonder if it’s a combinations of factors. 1) Less work travel, particularly those commuting longer distance isn’t recovered to normal levels, guidance is still working from home and even after July 19th it wouldn’t be flick of a switch 2) Slightly related, but I think there’s still a little bit of pandemic trends at play, such as to stay local to certain extent and avoid transport where you might not have in the past. 3) The coaches being unreliable 4) You can cover all the same places with the evening and Sunday route*

*It always slightly annoys me that they never remember about the A19 slip road bus stop heading Northbound, usually on the X10 route, when doing the evening route, it misses this bus stop but it’s never effectively communicated.

Storx

09 Jul 2021, 9:45 am #687
Doesn't the X9/X10 have a select few drivers who are trained for the route. If they've got limited drivers and no-one is trained to drive the route then that could be a problem whereas any other route anyone can just drive it.

Also those saying that the coaches are unsuitable the X9/X10 it's a very easy route for a coach. There's megabuses running from London to Newcastle/Edinburgh everyday mostly express up the A1/M1 which go Edinburgh -> NON STOP -> Newcastle -> NON STOP -> Leeds -> NON STOP -> Meadowhall -> NON STOP -> London. The X9/X10 is a breeze compared to that.
Storx
09 Jul 2021, 9:45 am #687

Doesn't the X9/X10 have a select few drivers who are trained for the route. If they've got limited drivers and no-one is trained to drive the route then that could be a problem whereas any other route anyone can just drive it.

Also those saying that the coaches are unsuitable the X9/X10 it's a very easy route for a coach. There's megabuses running from London to Newcastle/Edinburgh everyday mostly express up the A1/M1 which go Edinburgh -> NON STOP -> Newcastle -> NON STOP -> Leeds -> NON STOP -> Meadowhall -> NON STOP -> London. The X9/X10 is a breeze compared to that.

09 Jul 2021, 11:05 am #688
(09 Jul 2021, 9:45 am)Storx Doesn't the X9/X10 have a select few drivers who are trained for the route. If they've got limited drivers and no-one is trained to drive the route then that could be a problem whereas any other route anyone can just drive it.

I'd tend to disagree with you there.
Those kinds of routes are dead easy for a coach as it's mostly motorway with the odd bit of city.

Compared to those routes the X9/X10 has considerably more start/stop driving, which is more strenuous on the drivetrain.
streetdeckfan
09 Jul 2021, 11:05 am #688

(09 Jul 2021, 9:45 am)Storx Doesn't the X9/X10 have a select few drivers who are trained for the route. If they've got limited drivers and no-one is trained to drive the route then that could be a problem whereas any other route anyone can just drive it.

I'd tend to disagree with you there.
Those kinds of routes are dead easy for a coach as it's mostly motorway with the odd bit of city.

Compared to those routes the X9/X10 has considerably more start/stop driving, which is more strenuous on the drivetrain.

Storx

09 Jul 2021, 11:30 am #689
(09 Jul 2021, 11:05 am)streetdeckfan I'd tend to disagree with you there.

Well if you wanted to go for a stop start route then there's the 10 in Scotland between Aberdeen and Inverness and they both use versions of the Plaxton Elite and they don't have any issues that I know of and that's mostly express driving between towns on the A96.

There's no reason really why they can't do the X9/X10 imo unless there's something wrong with the coaches thereselves.
Storx
09 Jul 2021, 11:30 am #689

Well if you wanted to go for a stop start route then there's the 10 in Scotland between Aberdeen and Inverness and they both use versions of the Plaxton Elite and they don't have any issues that I know of and that's mostly express driving between towns on the A96.

There's no reason really why they can't do the X9/X10 imo unless there's something wrong with the coaches thereselves.

tvd

12 Jul 2021, 12:21 pm #690
I was on the X10 a couple of weeks ago, and the reliability was fine until we were held up at Stockton due to a passenger in a motorized scooter unhappy she couldn't access the coach.

The driver was on the phone to control, possibly getting her a taxi. I'm not sure why she wasnt directed to use Arriva's X12 instead, but anyway the whole thing made us 15 mins late.
tvd
12 Jul 2021, 12:21 pm #690

I was on the X10 a couple of weeks ago, and the reliability was fine until we were held up at Stockton due to a passenger in a motorized scooter unhappy she couldn't access the coach.

The driver was on the phone to control, possibly getting her a taxi. I'm not sure why she wasnt directed to use Arriva's X12 instead, but anyway the whole thing made us 15 mins late.

Adrian

12 Jul 2021, 1:10 pm #691
(12 Jul 2021, 12:21 pm)tvd I was on the X10 a couple of weeks ago, and the reliability was fine until we were held up at Stockton due to a passenger in a motorized scooter unhappy she couldn't access the coach.

The driver was on the phone to control, possibly getting her a taxi.  I'm not sure why she wasnt directed to use Arriva's X12 instead, but anyway the whole thing made us 15 mins late.

It could have been that it was too large or would cause an obstruction to the stairs. I've seen mobility scooters (not powerchairs) refused on normal service buses for being too large.

The rules around mobility scooters aren't as black and white as they are for Wheelchair users. See: https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/image...rriage.pdf

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
12 Jul 2021, 1:10 pm #691

(12 Jul 2021, 12:21 pm)tvd I was on the X10 a couple of weeks ago, and the reliability was fine until we were held up at Stockton due to a passenger in a motorized scooter unhappy she couldn't access the coach.

The driver was on the phone to control, possibly getting her a taxi.  I'm not sure why she wasnt directed to use Arriva's X12 instead, but anyway the whole thing made us 15 mins late.

It could have been that it was too large or would cause an obstruction to the stairs. I've seen mobility scooters (not powerchairs) refused on normal service buses for being too large.

The rules around mobility scooters aren't as black and white as they are for Wheelchair users. See: https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/image...rriage.pdf

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

12 Jul 2021, 1:54 pm #692
(12 Jul 2021, 1:10 pm)Adrian It could have been that it was too large or would cause an obstruction to the stairs. I've seen mobility scooters (not powerchairs) refused on normal service buses for being too large.

It looks as though mobility scooters have to be 'approved' and the users 'trained' before they're allowed on board. I wonder what that consists of, and if it's even a thing they actually do.

"Under the Code, mobility users are issued with a permit to travel which advises our bus drivers if your scooter is approved to travel on our buses and you, as the user of that scooter, are trained in how to safely board and alight from our buses or coaches"

I couple weeks back I had a few hours spare so I decided to go to Dalton Park for a coffee, the journey down was fine, but the return journey was about 40 minutes late.
The reason, and you probably won't believe this, was because there was a crash on the A19. I know, I've never heard of that happening either!
Edited 12 Jul 2021, 1:57 pm by streetdeckfan.
streetdeckfan
12 Jul 2021, 1:54 pm #692

(12 Jul 2021, 1:10 pm)Adrian It could have been that it was too large or would cause an obstruction to the stairs. I've seen mobility scooters (not powerchairs) refused on normal service buses for being too large.

It looks as though mobility scooters have to be 'approved' and the users 'trained' before they're allowed on board. I wonder what that consists of, and if it's even a thing they actually do.

"Under the Code, mobility users are issued with a permit to travel which advises our bus drivers if your scooter is approved to travel on our buses and you, as the user of that scooter, are trained in how to safely board and alight from our buses or coaches"

I couple weeks back I had a few hours spare so I decided to go to Dalton Park for a coffee, the journey down was fine, but the return journey was about 40 minutes late.
The reason, and you probably won't believe this, was because there was a crash on the A19. I know, I've never heard of that happening either!

tvd

12 Jul 2021, 6:46 pm #693
It’s one of those things, but people have become so used to low floor buses they now expect to be able to board with any size of buggy, pushchair, wheelchair or scooter.
This one would’ve not easily got on a Pulsar, and had no chance of getting on the coach.
Fair play to the driver who spent the time trying to help, but it’s one of those many occasions where the unreliability of a bus service isn’t the fault of the operator.
tvd
12 Jul 2021, 6:46 pm #693

It’s one of those things, but people have become so used to low floor buses they now expect to be able to board with any size of buggy, pushchair, wheelchair or scooter.
This one would’ve not easily got on a Pulsar, and had no chance of getting on the coach.
Fair play to the driver who spent the time trying to help, but it’s one of those many occasions where the unreliability of a bus service isn’t the fault of the operator.

Ambassador

13 Jul 2021, 3:43 pm #694

Lets be honest, these Coaches as pretty as they look are already run ragged from their days treading Oxford to London and the OBC were thrilled when someone wanted them.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
13 Jul 2021, 3:43 pm #694

Lets be honest, these Coaches as pretty as they look are already run ragged from their days treading Oxford to London and the OBC were thrilled when someone wanted them.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

tvd

19 Jul 2021, 3:53 pm #695
I've just travelled on Transdev's CityZap between Leeds and York, and the type of route must be similar to the X9/X10. They have a few stops at the beginning and end of the route, but its mainly up and down the A64/A1M.

So if the CityZap manage just fine with decent double deckers, I'm not sure why GNE cant with their routes?
tvd
19 Jul 2021, 3:53 pm #695

I've just travelled on Transdev's CityZap between Leeds and York, and the type of route must be similar to the X9/X10. They have a few stops at the beginning and end of the route, but its mainly up and down the A64/A1M.

So if the CityZap manage just fine with decent double deckers, I'm not sure why GNE cant with their routes?

19 Jul 2021, 5:22 pm #696
CityZap is just over half the distance of X9/X10 end-to-end, and I believe Transdev limit the speed on their vehicles - or did for the previous CityZap allocation.
omnicity4659
19 Jul 2021, 5:22 pm #696

CityZap is just over half the distance of X9/X10 end-to-end, and I believe Transdev limit the speed on their vehicles - or did for the previous CityZap allocation.

21 Jul 2021, 11:15 am #697
The coaches on X9/X10 are an excellent idea they have been needed for years. However its lack of maintenance on a GNE wide problem. Engineering don't have the staff or the budget to fix everything properly. Buses regularly go out with minor faults which get put off getting fixed and then eventually its becomes a major problem and bus breaks down completely. Other operators have exactly the same issues don't get me wrong. The company will not spend an awful lot of money on things until the future is more certain and the threat of a complete takeover is gone completely.
CookieMonster
21 Jul 2021, 11:15 am #697

The coaches on X9/X10 are an excellent idea they have been needed for years. However its lack of maintenance on a GNE wide problem. Engineering don't have the staff or the budget to fix everything properly. Buses regularly go out with minor faults which get put off getting fixed and then eventually its becomes a major problem and bus breaks down completely. Other operators have exactly the same issues don't get me wrong. The company will not spend an awful lot of money on things until the future is more certain and the threat of a complete takeover is gone completely.

GNE6312

13 Aug 2021, 10:22 am #698
With the X9 returning soon meaning so will regular use of 7130/32 and looking verry unlikely 7128/30/32 will be back on NX could GNE not repaint 7130/7132 to X-lines Charcoal seeing as they are the X9/X10 spares.
GNE6312
13 Aug 2021, 10:22 am #698

With the X9 returning soon meaning so will regular use of 7130/32 and looking verry unlikely 7128/30/32 will be back on NX could GNE not repaint 7130/7132 to X-lines Charcoal seeing as they are the X9/X10 spares.

Train8261

13 Aug 2021, 10:22 am #699
Wouldn't be to bad of an idea like always wonder what one of them would look X Lines Charcoal
Train8261
13 Aug 2021, 10:22 am #699

Wouldn't be to bad of an idea like always wonder what one of them would look X Lines Charcoal

Dan

Site Administrator

13 Aug 2021, 10:53 am #700
(13 Aug 2021, 10:22 am)GNE6312 With the X9 returning soon meaning so will regular use of 7130/32 and looking verry unlikely 7128/30/32 will be back on NX could GNE not repaint 7130/7132 to X-lines Charcoal seeing as they are the X9/X10 spares.

How does it look very unlikely?

7135 - 7137 have all been reinstated on National Express. It wouldn't surprise me if 7128/30/32 follow suit at some point as the network increases in size again.
Dan
13 Aug 2021, 10:53 am #700

(13 Aug 2021, 10:22 am)GNE6312 With the X9 returning soon meaning so will regular use of 7130/32 and looking verry unlikely 7128/30/32 will be back on NX could GNE not repaint 7130/7132 to X-lines Charcoal seeing as they are the X9/X10 spares.

How does it look very unlikely?

7135 - 7137 have all been reinstated on National Express. It wouldn't surprise me if 7128/30/32 follow suit at some point as the network increases in size again.

Pages (36) Previous 134 35 36 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average