Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Met Office - RED Warning (threat to life)

Met Office - RED Warning (threat to life)

Met Office - RED Warning (threat to life)

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (4) Previous 1 2 3 4 Next
Michael

27 Nov 2021, 3:08 pm #41
Chester Road must be shut as all the buses are going along Hylton Road via Holborn road

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
27 Nov 2021, 3:08 pm #41

Chester Road must be shut as all the buses are going along Hylton Road via Holborn road

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Keeiajs

27 Nov 2021, 3:41 pm #42
GNE's reponse to this has been more than ridiculous. Nothing on FB (the main way of giving info) would it kill them to pay a staff memeber to work after a RED Warning storm to help customers instead of being silent. 

So infuriating

(27 Nov 2021, 10:12 am)Adrian Yeah, totally irresponsible... how dare they run the 21 and 56 all night as planned, ensuring people could still get home when most trains and the Metro were off...  Rolleyes
Wasn't that, it was the fact that N21 was operting all double deckers.
Edited 27 Nov 2021, 3:42 pm by Keeiajs.
Keeiajs
27 Nov 2021, 3:41 pm #42

GNE's reponse to this has been more than ridiculous. Nothing on FB (the main way of giving info) would it kill them to pay a staff memeber to work after a RED Warning storm to help customers instead of being silent. 

So infuriating

(27 Nov 2021, 10:12 am)Adrian Yeah, totally irresponsible... how dare they run the 21 and 56 all night as planned, ensuring people could still get home when most trains and the Metro were off...  Rolleyes

Dan

Site Administrator

27 Nov 2021, 4:35 pm #43
(27 Nov 2021, 3:41 pm)Keeiajs Wasn't that, it was the fact that N21 was operting all double deckers.

And nothing bad happened - so clearly it was safe enough, as another driver who was working the Night Bus last night has already told you here...

I have noted posts on social media complimenting Go North East for running the service all night, commending the drivers for being at work and helping people get home from work, especially for those that were left without another option. I'm sure that ought to be the focus here - indeed some might say that it is 'so infuriating' that you are so hung up on Go North East running double-deckers during windy conditions when it was completely fine...
Dan
27 Nov 2021, 4:35 pm #43

(27 Nov 2021, 3:41 pm)Keeiajs Wasn't that, it was the fact that N21 was operting all double deckers.

And nothing bad happened - so clearly it was safe enough, as another driver who was working the Night Bus last night has already told you here...

I have noted posts on social media complimenting Go North East for running the service all night, commending the drivers for being at work and helping people get home from work, especially for those that were left without another option. I'm sure that ought to be the focus here - indeed some might say that it is 'so infuriating' that you are so hung up on Go North East running double-deckers during windy conditions when it was completely fine...

Storx

27 Nov 2021, 5:04 pm #44
(27 Nov 2021, 12:24 pm)citaro5284 You must have had your crystal ball out earlier - aye, off until tomorrow at the earliest

I'd be surprised if it's on tomorrow ngl. They'd need a miracle to get it back online. It usually takes them hours to fix one line break. They'd need miracles to get the amount of trees that have fell which no doubt will have damaged the lines in numerous places. I know the ECML is very unlikely to be reopened by the end of tomorrow and that's Network Rail.

(27 Nov 2021, 3:41 pm)Keeiajs GNE's reponse to this has been more than ridiculous. Nothing on FB (the main way of giving info) would it kill them to pay a staff memeber to work after a RED Warning storm to help customers instead of being silent. 

So infuriating

In fairness to GNE at least they've been communication. The X7 and X8 haven't been running today and the only time the Twitter staff actually knew about it is when someone tweeted a whiteboard saying it's off as they didn't have a clue. 

https://twitter.com/LAClennell/status/14...WDmQmAUhhg&s=19 - that's the tweet.

It's not as if it's a minor service like the Arriva 58 or GNE 29
Storx
27 Nov 2021, 5:04 pm #44

(27 Nov 2021, 12:24 pm)citaro5284 You must have had your crystal ball out earlier - aye, off until tomorrow at the earliest

I'd be surprised if it's on tomorrow ngl. They'd need a miracle to get it back online. It usually takes them hours to fix one line break. They'd need miracles to get the amount of trees that have fell which no doubt will have damaged the lines in numerous places. I know the ECML is very unlikely to be reopened by the end of tomorrow and that's Network Rail.

(27 Nov 2021, 3:41 pm)Keeiajs GNE's reponse to this has been more than ridiculous. Nothing on FB (the main way of giving info) would it kill them to pay a staff memeber to work after a RED Warning storm to help customers instead of being silent. 

So infuriating

In fairness to GNE at least they've been communication. The X7 and X8 haven't been running today and the only time the Twitter staff actually knew about it is when someone tweeted a whiteboard saying it's off as they didn't have a clue. 

Train8261

27 Nov 2021, 5:18 pm #45
(27 Nov 2021, 5:04 pm)Storx I'd be surprised if it's on tomorrow ngl. They'd need a miracle to get it back online. It usually takes them hours to fix one line break. They'd need miracles to get the amount of trees that have fell which no doubt will have damaged the lines in numerous places. I know the ECML is very unlikely to be reopened by the end of tomorrow and that's Network Rail.

Lucky I didn't go out today. Wonder why half of the deckers and why Annitsford looked empty today
Train8261
27 Nov 2021, 5:18 pm #45

(27 Nov 2021, 5:04 pm)Storx I'd be surprised if it's on tomorrow ngl. They'd need a miracle to get it back online. It usually takes them hours to fix one line break. They'd need miracles to get the amount of trees that have fell which no doubt will have damaged the lines in numerous places. I know the ECML is very unlikely to be reopened by the end of tomorrow and that's Network Rail.

Lucky I didn't go out today. Wonder why half of the deckers and why Annitsford looked empty today

Keeiajs

27 Nov 2021, 5:39 pm #46
(27 Nov 2021, 4:35 pm)Dan And nothing bad happened - so clearly it was safe enough, as another driver who was working the Night Bus last night has already told you here...

I red weather warning, which basically says a "threat to life". On a double Decker (which lets face it could have been a coast and country), which if the wrong gust of wind hits it.
Keeiajs
27 Nov 2021, 5:39 pm #46

(27 Nov 2021, 4:35 pm)Dan And nothing bad happened - so clearly it was safe enough, as another driver who was working the Night Bus last night has already told you here...

I red weather warning, which basically says a "threat to life". On a double Decker (which lets face it could have been a coast and country), which if the wrong gust of wind hits it.

citaro5284

27 Nov 2021, 6:41 pm #47

Nexus just posted that they are hoping to have the yellow line up and running from 6am on Sunday, but green line will still be suspended.
citaro5284
27 Nov 2021, 6:41 pm #47

Nexus just posted that they are hoping to have the yellow line up and running from 6am on Sunday, but green line will still be suspended.

Adrian

27 Nov 2021, 7:41 pm #48
(27 Nov 2021, 5:39 pm)Keeiajs I red weather warning, which basically says a "threat to life". On a double Decker (which lets face it could have been a coast and country), which if the wrong gust of wind hits it.

It's up the the operator to manage risk and safety, and what instructions they then give to depots, drivers and control, not you. If you think legislation has been broken, then contact the HSE. 

The easy option would have been to pull service for the night, given what was an ever changing picture and one where highways were becoming more dangerous due to debris. Metro services have been suspended for near 24 hours now, and I don't think any trains have ran north beyond Newcastle. Continuing to run a service however, has given options for people getting home, and no doubt it'll be the same tonight in worsening conditions. 

I can't help but think you'd also be complaining if they pulled the service altogether.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
27 Nov 2021, 7:41 pm #48

(27 Nov 2021, 5:39 pm)Keeiajs I red weather warning, which basically says a "threat to life". On a double Decker (which lets face it could have been a coast and country), which if the wrong gust of wind hits it.

It's up the the operator to manage risk and safety, and what instructions they then give to depots, drivers and control, not you. If you think legislation has been broken, then contact the HSE. 

The easy option would have been to pull service for the night, given what was an ever changing picture and one where highways were becoming more dangerous due to debris. Metro services have been suspended for near 24 hours now, and I don't think any trains have ran north beyond Newcastle. Continuing to run a service however, has given options for people getting home, and no doubt it'll be the same tonight in worsening conditions. 

I can't help but think you'd also be complaining if they pulled the service altogether.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Storx

27 Nov 2021, 7:47 pm #49
(27 Nov 2021, 6:41 pm)citaro5284 Nexus just posted that they are hoping to have the yellow line up and running from 6am on Sunday, but green line will still be suspended.

Fair play to them, guessing they've focused on getting the Yellow Line open then and I'm usually the biggest critic of Nexus.

The one outside the Regent Centre looks rather nasty - https://twitter.com/My_Metro/status/1464...51/photo/2 so guessing that's the reason the green line isn't running North of Newcastle. Doesn't look a 2 minute fix.
Storx
27 Nov 2021, 7:47 pm #49

(27 Nov 2021, 6:41 pm)citaro5284 Nexus just posted that they are hoping to have the yellow line up and running from 6am on Sunday, but green line will still be suspended.

Fair play to them, guessing they've focused on getting the Yellow Line open then and I'm usually the biggest critic of Nexus.

The one outside the Regent Centre looks rather nasty - https://twitter.com/My_Metro/status/1464...51/photo/2 so guessing that's the reason the green line isn't running North of Newcastle. Doesn't look a 2 minute fix.

27 Nov 2021, 7:47 pm #50
(27 Nov 2021, 7:41 pm)Adrian It's up the the operator to manage risk and safety, and what instructions they then give to depots, drivers and control, not you. If you think legislation has been broken, then contact the HSE. 

I think having been in the epicentre of the worst wind during the night, all operators should be commended for providing any service, today has seen diversions, but they kept going. full marks.
54APhotography
27 Nov 2021, 7:47 pm #50

(27 Nov 2021, 7:41 pm)Adrian It's up the the operator to manage risk and safety, and what instructions they then give to depots, drivers and control, not you. If you think legislation has been broken, then contact the HSE. 

I think having been in the epicentre of the worst wind during the night, all operators should be commended for providing any service, today has seen diversions, but they kept going. full marks.

Michael

27 Nov 2021, 8:44 pm #51
Tyne and Wear Metro:

We hope to restore services between St James and South Shields (yellow line) from 6am tomorrow. We expect services between Airport and South Hylton (green line) to remain suspended on Sunday. Further updates will be posted later this evening to confirm this.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
27 Nov 2021, 8:44 pm #51

Tyne and Wear Metro:

We hope to restore services between St James and South Shields (yellow line) from 6am tomorrow. We expect services between Airport and South Hylton (green line) to remain suspended on Sunday. Further updates will be posted later this evening to confirm this.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

27 Nov 2021, 10:08 pm #52
Keeiajs you obviously haven't been on this planet long enough to realise these type of weather events have occured before (Storm of 1987 for example) and double decker buses have operated in such conditions. Now that there is a dusting of snow, you probably demanding the buses should be taken off again incase of a rare chance that a bus might skid off the road. It's very rare for buses to be blown off the road as such there is probably a handful of incidents each year, very few to the point where the bus has been completely flipped over onto its side. To be fair there is more risk of a bus flipping over on its side due to hitting another vehicle or coming off a road with a servere drop to the side.

This isn't the first time we have encountered servere storms and won't be the last either. The bus companies know what they are doing (well most of them), and if they feel there is a major safety issue they would take the buses off, likewise if the police have advised them to remove services. The 21 route is miles from the Coast, and although the winds were strong, it won't be as bad as it would have been down the coast.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
27 Nov 2021, 10:08 pm #52

Keeiajs you obviously haven't been on this planet long enough to realise these type of weather events have occured before (Storm of 1987 for example) and double decker buses have operated in such conditions. Now that there is a dusting of snow, you probably demanding the buses should be taken off again incase of a rare chance that a bus might skid off the road. It's very rare for buses to be blown off the road as such there is probably a handful of incidents each year, very few to the point where the bus has been completely flipped over onto its side. To be fair there is more risk of a bus flipping over on its side due to hitting another vehicle or coming off a road with a servere drop to the side.

This isn't the first time we have encountered servere storms and won't be the last either. The bus companies know what they are doing (well most of them), and if they feel there is a major safety issue they would take the buses off, likewise if the police have advised them to remove services. The 21 route is miles from the Coast, and although the winds were strong, it won't be as bad as it would have been down the coast.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

BusLoverMum

27 Nov 2021, 10:14 pm #53
Furthermore, the 21 route is almost entirely built up and would have been travelling directly into or away from the wind, most of the time.
BusLoverMum
27 Nov 2021, 10:14 pm #53

Furthermore, the 21 route is almost entirely built up and would have been travelling directly into or away from the wind, most of the time.

Keeiajs

27 Nov 2021, 10:36 pm #54
(27 Nov 2021, 10:08 pm)Rapidsnap Keeiajs you obviously haven't been on this planet long enough to realise these type of weather events have occured before (Storm of 1987 for example) and double decker buses have operated in such conditions. Now that there is a dusting of snow, you probably demanding the buses should be taken off again incase of a rare chance that a bus might skid off the road. It's very rare for buses to be blown off the road as such there is probably a handful of incidents each year, very few to the point where the bus has been completely flipped over onto its side. To be fair there is more risk of a bus flipping over on its side due to hitting another vehicle or coming off a road with a servere drop to the side.

All I am saying is 21 didn't need to be double deckers last night (but commend the drivers for operating in such conditions), as you said double deckers have operated in storms before however it was a risk they didn't need to take. I would understand if I was saying why didn't they take them ooff during the say as obviously they wouldn't be enough buses, however they could have easily been swaped out for a Coast & Country.
Keeiajs
27 Nov 2021, 10:36 pm #54

(27 Nov 2021, 10:08 pm)Rapidsnap Keeiajs you obviously haven't been on this planet long enough to realise these type of weather events have occured before (Storm of 1987 for example) and double decker buses have operated in such conditions. Now that there is a dusting of snow, you probably demanding the buses should be taken off again incase of a rare chance that a bus might skid off the road. It's very rare for buses to be blown off the road as such there is probably a handful of incidents each year, very few to the point where the bus has been completely flipped over onto its side. To be fair there is more risk of a bus flipping over on its side due to hitting another vehicle or coming off a road with a servere drop to the side.

All I am saying is 21 didn't need to be double deckers last night (but commend the drivers for operating in such conditions), as you said double deckers have operated in storms before however it was a risk they didn't need to take. I would understand if I was saying why didn't they take them ooff during the say as obviously they wouldn't be enough buses, however they could have easily been swaped out for a Coast & Country.

27 Nov 2021, 11:57 pm #55
(27 Nov 2021, 10:36 pm)Keeiajs All I am saying is 21 didn't need to be double deckers last night (but commend the drivers for operating in such conditions), as you said double deckers have operated in storms before however it was a risk they didn't need to take. I would understand if I was saying why didn't they take them ooff during the say as obviously they wouldn't be enough buses, however they could have easily been swaped out for a Coast & Country.
You say that the 21s didn't need to be double deckers for the night? It's quite possible that you're right, however how do you know that's the case? Unless you were standing on Durham Road last night counting the loads of each 21 going past then for all we know, they may have been busy with people stranded in the town!

As someone who has regularly drove double deckers in high winds, the difference between a single and double decker is only around 4ft. In the grand scheme of things, that's nowt. If a gust of wind hits the side of a 10ft single or 14ft double the outcome can be the same. Professional drivers are more than aware of the potential issues and I think they deserve a bit more credit for their ability than a dismissive "GNE should have put singles out".

The main risk is not the height of the vehicle, it's road infrastructure and street furniture coming down. As has been demonstrated by the rail network.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
27 Nov 2021, 11:57 pm #55

(27 Nov 2021, 10:36 pm)Keeiajs All I am saying is 21 didn't need to be double deckers last night (but commend the drivers for operating in such conditions), as you said double deckers have operated in storms before however it was a risk they didn't need to take. I would understand if I was saying why didn't they take them ooff during the say as obviously they wouldn't be enough buses, however they could have easily been swaped out for a Coast & Country.
You say that the 21s didn't need to be double deckers for the night? It's quite possible that you're right, however how do you know that's the case? Unless you were standing on Durham Road last night counting the loads of each 21 going past then for all we know, they may have been busy with people stranded in the town!

As someone who has regularly drove double deckers in high winds, the difference between a single and double decker is only around 4ft. In the grand scheme of things, that's nowt. If a gust of wind hits the side of a 10ft single or 14ft double the outcome can be the same. Professional drivers are more than aware of the potential issues and I think they deserve a bit more credit for their ability than a dismissive "GNE should have put singles out".

The main risk is not the height of the vehicle, it's road infrastructure and street furniture coming down. As has been demonstrated by the rail network.

Keeiajs

28 Nov 2021, 12:05 am #56
(27 Nov 2021, 11:57 pm)6049 You say that the 21s didn't need to be double deckers for the night? It's quite possible that you're right, however how do you know that's the case? Unless you were standing on Durham Road last night counting the loads of each 21 going past then for all we know, they may have been busy with people stranded in the town!

I have said I commend them for driving in the weather. I have just said I would put singles on, yes I don't know if it would be busy, but imo i would rather take the risk of maybe a bus getting busy.
Keeiajs
28 Nov 2021, 12:05 am #56

(27 Nov 2021, 11:57 pm)6049 You say that the 21s didn't need to be double deckers for the night? It's quite possible that you're right, however how do you know that's the case? Unless you were standing on Durham Road last night counting the loads of each 21 going past then for all we know, they may have been busy with people stranded in the town!

I have said I commend them for driving in the weather. I have just said I would put singles on, yes I don't know if it would be busy, but imo i would rather take the risk of maybe a bus getting busy.

28 Nov 2021, 12:16 am #57
(28 Nov 2021, 12:05 am)Keeiajs I have said I commend them for driving in the weather. I have just said I would put singles on, yes I don't know if it would be busy, but imo i would rather take the risk of maybe a bus getting busy.

The bigger risk is a tree coming down on top of a bus/car/wagon/limo/motorbike rather than having an extra 4ft above your head. If anything if something did come down, the extra deck would be a nice little crumple zone...

28 Nov 2021, 12:16 am #57

(28 Nov 2021, 12:05 am)Keeiajs I have said I commend them for driving in the weather. I have just said I would put singles on, yes I don't know if it would be busy, but imo i would rather take the risk of maybe a bus getting busy.

The bigger risk is a tree coming down on top of a bus/car/wagon/limo/motorbike rather than having an extra 4ft above your head. If anything if something did come down, the extra deck would be a nice little crumple zone...

Keeiajs

28 Nov 2021, 12:20 am #58
(28 Nov 2021, 12:16 am)6049 The bigger risk is a tree coming down on top of a bus/car/wagon/limo/motorbike rather than having an extra 4ft above your head. If anything if something did come down, the extra deck would be a nice little crumple zone...

Ah save the driver not the passengers is what you are inferring. Most passengers go to the top deck.
Keeiajs
28 Nov 2021, 12:20 am #58

(28 Nov 2021, 12:16 am)6049 The bigger risk is a tree coming down on top of a bus/car/wagon/limo/motorbike rather than having an extra 4ft above your head. If anything if something did come down, the extra deck would be a nice little crumple zone...

Ah save the driver not the passengers is what you are inferring. Most passengers go to the top deck.

Michael

28 Nov 2021, 12:30 am #59
Regular services will resume between North and South Shields from 7am today (Sunday 28 November).

All other services remain suspended but we hope to provide further updates throughout the day.

Updated at 00:17, Sunday, 28 November 2021

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
28 Nov 2021, 12:30 am #59

Regular services will resume between North and South Shields from 7am today (Sunday 28 November).

All other services remain suspended but we hope to provide further updates throughout the day.

Updated at 00:17, Sunday, 28 November 2021

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

28 Nov 2021, 12:31 am #60
(28 Nov 2021, 12:20 am)Keeiajs Ah save the driver not the passengers is what you are inferring. Most passengers go to the top deck.
Nice to see you appreciated my tongue in cheek comment

28 Nov 2021, 12:31 am #60

(28 Nov 2021, 12:20 am)Keeiajs Ah save the driver not the passengers is what you are inferring. Most passengers go to the top deck.
Nice to see you appreciated my tongue in cheek comment

Pages (4) Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average