You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East : Upcoming Service Changes

RE: Go North East : Upcoming Service Changes
(08 Mar 2022, 12:08 pm)Omega54 wrote Tbh, for X10 passengers when it merged with the X9 for every service, if that wasn't enough to drive passengers off I don't think an extra 15 mins will

The merger of the X9 and X10, with the frequency reduction drove a lot of people off.

Everyone I know in Peterlee opts for the car now, and they were regular users of the X9 and X10.
(08 Mar 2022, 5:56 pm)omnicity4659 wrote The merger of the X9 and X10, with the frequency reduction drove a lot of people off.

Everyone I know in Peterlee opts for the car now, and they were regular users of the X9 and X10.
If you aren't drove off now, when will you be
(08 Mar 2022, 5:57 pm)Omega54 wrote If you aren't drove off now, when will you be

When they have the money to jump ship and use the car or Northern Trains. For a lot of people, sucking up the pitiful service provided isn't a choice and they'll probably want out as soon as they can.
(08 Mar 2022, 5:03 pm)cbma06 wrote I’m surprised the depot wasn’t closed on the last bus changes in Peterlee as only a handful of buses are based there now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's due to damage caused by the recent storms. I've been a handful of times to pick up and drop off vehicles (I haven't been inside the actual building though) and apart from a few Solos parked up, I would never have guessed it was a GNE operation.
(08 Mar 2022, 5:56 pm)omnicity4659 wrote The merger of the X9 and X10, with the frequency reduction drove a lot of people off.

I'm in a position where I can no longer return home via Peterlee using the X10 on an evening owing to the service being retimed to depart Newcastle later meaning I can no longer connect with Arriva's X21 at Peterlee.

Worse still the alternative route via Durham seems to be getting more unattractive, traffic's getting worse (great congestion busting buses these are!) and this was before the roadworks at Framwellgate Peth started which seem to be a nightmare getting into Durham City Centre at rush hour, then there's Arriva's service 7 which will most certainly not run, further inconvenienced by the reduced 20 minute frequency on the 7 and GNE retiming the X21 running 5 mins in front of the Newcastle bound X12 leaving a potential 30 min wait when the 7 inevitably fails me.

I'm at the stage where I don't even want to use the bus for leisure and as a spotter so christ knows how frustrated regular passengers relying on them must be.
(08 Mar 2022, 7:02 pm)Omega54 wrote I didn't even realise Peterlee bus depot had a building

It was a shared unit with Durham council community transport, but there left a short while ago

I think only 59/204 will transfer to CLS, but where will the change overs be done, surely they can't be done in Durham. 

The Arnison Centre for the 59 might be a good choice. 

Not sure about the 204. Every other service I except to move to Deptford wonder how bad the storm damage has been.
Site Administrator

I think the frequency reduction would have had a larger impact than the merger of the two routes causing an increase in journey time. Anecdotally from using the service and seeing photos online, the X10 now seems to carry good loads. Arguably it's better to have one busy bus than two half empty buses, and it'll be interesting to see how Go North East responds to further growth.

I've used the X10 on a number of occasions recently (for leisure) and to be honest it really didn't feel too dissimilar in time to what it was previously. Like the example yesterday with the X20 posing as a faster alternative to the 20, it's all perception. That's not to say my perception isn't different to another customer's perception, of course!
(08 Mar 2022, 7:07 pm)Omega54 wrote I think only 59/204 will transfer to CLS, but where will the change overs be done, surely they can't be done in Durham. 

The Arnison Centre for the 59 might be a good choice. 

Not sure about the 204. Every other service I except to move to Deptford wonder how bad the storm damage has been.

59 is one driver and one bus all day with a break at the Arnison Centre, so no changeover is required.

Durham could still be a possibility for changeovers as the Cathedral Bus has changeovers / crew relief / bait bus / whatever at Durham Rail Station.
(08 Mar 2022, 7:10 pm)Dan wrote I think the frequency reduction would have had a larger impact than the merger of the two routes causing an increase in journey time. Anecdotally from using the service and seeing photos online, the X10 now seems to carry good loads. Arguably it's better to have one busy bus than two half empty buses, and it'll be interesting to see how Go North East responds to further growth.

I've used the X10 on a number of occasions recently (for leisure) and to be honest it really didn't feel too dissimilar in time to what it was previously. Like the example yesterday with the X20 posing as a faster alternative to the 20, it's all perception. That's not to say my perception isn't different to another customer's perception, of course!
Tbh, as a passenger something that would drive me off is someone sitting next to me, or people standing and being a challenge to get off, I think having buses half full, where sometimes people have to sit next to each other, but if its every service to me its more of a turn off.

(08 Mar 2022, 7:10 pm)Jimmi wrote 59 is one driver and one bus all day with a break at the Arnison Centre, so no changeover is required.

Durham could still be a possibility for changeovers as the Cathedral Bus has changeovers / crew relief / bait bus / whatever at Durham Rail Station.
Poor 59 driver. 
- Durham would surely be a pain. Maybe they could work off the 21, but whether that is late, or leaving a bus its bad enough with arriva leaving buses, a driver on the 64 moved 2 arriva buses, while another arriva driver just watched.
(08 Mar 2022, 6:46 pm)Jimmi wrote I'm in a position where I can no longer return home via Peterlee using the X10 on an evening owing to the service being retimed to depart Newcastle later meaning I can no longer connect with Arriva's X21 at Peterlee.

Worse still the alternative route via Durham seems to be getting more unattractive, traffic's getting worse (great congestion busting buses these are!) and this was before the roadworks at Framwellgate Peth started which seem to be a nightmare getting into Durham City Centre at rush hour, then there's Arriva's service 7 which will most certainly not run, further inconvenienced by the reduced 20 minute frequency on the 7 and GNE retiming the X21 running 5 mins in front of the Newcastle bound X12 leaving a potential 30 min wait when the 7 inevitably fails me.

I'm at the stage where I don't even want to use the bus for leisure and as a spotter so christ knows how frustrated regular passengers relying on them must be.
I don't even think I've used the bus on more than 10 days this year so far

As someone who worked from home before it was 'cool', I would often just go out for the day and work from wherever I fancied.

Now, I just honestly don't trust that I'd be able to get home! Last week it took me nearly 4 hours to get to Newcastle because of cancellations and delays.
We're the delays at Croxdale and Durham GNE's fault, no. But at the end of the day, I wouldn't have had those delays if I'd have taken the car.

As for leisure... well I used to be able to go to pub quiz with friends up north and just be able to catch the last X21 back down (granted, I needed a lift to Gateshead, but it was doable), but now the last bus down leaves not long after the quiz starts!

Pre-covid the northbound X21 would be packed with people going into Newcastle on a Friday evening, now there's barely a soul. My guess it's not because people aren't going out anymore, it's because they can't get bloody home!

I can just about tolerate the last X21 to West Auckland leaving Newcastle at 4pm (only just, it's still terrible), but the last X21 at all leaving Newcastle at 9pm is insulting. We used to have a service until 11pm! So much for it being a 'flagship' route!

Anyway, rant over.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
(08 Mar 2022, 7:14 pm)Omega54 wrote Tbh, as a passenger something that would drive me off is someone sitting next to me, or people standing and being a challenge to get off, I think having buses half full, where sometimes people have to sit next to each other, but if its every service to me its more of a turn off.

Poor 59 driver. 
- Durham would surely be a pain. Maybe they could work off the 21, but whether that is late, or leaving a bus its bad enough with arriva leaving buses, a driver on the 64 moved 2 arriva buses, while another arriva driver just watched.
If it's still the same guy, he's the happiest driver I've ever met. Knows all his regulars and enjoys a chat.
When does the contract for the 59/204/204a up for renewal?, maybe a small independent operator might take on the 204/204a and Arriva might get the 59 contracts

(08 Mar 2022, 7:29 pm)BusLoverMum wrote If it's still the same guy, he's the happiest driver I've ever met. Knows all his regulars and enjoys a chat.
Thats good. I know a few drivers, quite a lot of the ones i used to know have now moved or retired. Shame you can't have the same thing with other drivers. Some are still nice and that I know. 

But I think talking to the driver is really over tbh. I used to love it.

(08 Mar 2022, 7:37 pm)cbma06 wrote When does the contract for the 59/204/204a up for renewal?, maybe a small independent operator might take on the 204/204a and Arriva might get the 59 contracts

I would love A-Line to, however its a bit of a drive from Pelaw.
(08 Mar 2022, 7:10 pm)Dan wrote I think the frequency reduction would have had a larger impact than the merger of the two routes causing an increase in journey time. Anecdotally from using the service and seeing photos online, the X10 now seems to carry good loads. Arguably it's better to have one busy bus than two half empty buses, and it'll be interesting to see how Go North East responds to further growth.

I've noticed the X10 full at peak times (but it always was, along with the X9!), however I've passed many on the A19 during the day near-empty.
Site Administrator
(08 Mar 2022, 8:28 pm)omnicity4659 wrote I've noticed the X10 full at peak times (but it always was, along with the X9!), however I've passed many on the A19 during the day near-empty.

My trips recently have been during the day - both mid-week and Saturdays.

Perhaps 2 buses per hour Newcastle to Peterlee (as Peterlee seems to be the area which has been hit hardest by frequency reduction). One X10 (as now), 1 x9.

(08 Mar 2022, 4:32 pm)morritt89 wrote Not a service change as such but Peterlee outstation is closing at the end of March with services transferring to Deptford and a couple to Chester Le Street.

It will be interesting to see where the 65 changes over - it's very remote from a depot and consequently more expensive to operate. CLS is possibly the nearest (to Durham or Hetton).
(08 Mar 2022, 8:35 pm)busmanT wrote Perhaps 2 buses per hour Newcastle to Peterlee (as Peterlee seems to be the area which has been hit hardest by frequency reduction). One X10 (as now), 1 x9.

It will be interesting to see where the 65 changes over - it's very remote from a depot and consequently more expensive to operate. CLS is possibly the nearest (to Durham or Hetton).
Maybe the X9 go Via Seaham. 

And for the 65 I would have it change drivers at Seaham
(08 Mar 2022, 8:35 pm)busmanT wrote Perhaps 2 buses per hour Newcastle to Peterlee (as Peterlee seems to be the area which has been hit hardest by frequency reduction). One X10 (as now), 1 x9.

Am I correct in thinking it was a CLS route before it became the 265?

I do hope the closure of the depot doesn't mean the service gets worse in Peterlee, particularly given at this point it seems to me most routes could dragged to the chopping block.
(08 Mar 2022, 9:26 pm)F114TML wrote Am I correct in thinking it was a CLS route before it became the 265?

I do hope the closure of the depot doesn't mean the service gets worse in Peterlee, particularly given at this point it seems to me most routes could dragged to the chopping block.
Yes it was, it was moved to the 265, from the 65 full sized buses (regularly using double deckers) at every 60 mins, same with the 65. 

Also I believe they're contracted

Probably doesn't help they've scrapped all the other places people want to go to and unless you get an explorer ticket there's no way of getting there using GNE buses added with a brand new train station which is quicker to do the X10 route which is rammed lately which opened a similar time said routes got ditched.

Hartlepool and Durham in particular the two places, which are more closely connected than Newcastle. Plus Sunderland which is down to hourly unless you want to go on a magical mystery tour whereas Arriva offers all them under the one ticket all every 30 minutes and there's a Sunday service in the local estates which doesn't exist with GNE.

Unless you lived near the A19, the X9/X10 have always been hourly in Peterlee really.
(08 Mar 2022, 9:26 pm)F114TML wrote Am I correct in thinking it was a CLS route before it became the 265?

Originally it used to be the 154, operated by murton depot, but when murton depot closed the 154 went to Park lane depot in Sunderland

(09 Mar 2022, 7:02 am)cbma06 wrote Originally it used to be the 154, operated by murton depot, but when murton depot closed the 154 went to Park lane depot in Sunderland

There used to be a murton depot?!
(09 Mar 2022, 7:05 am)Omega54 wrote There used to be a murton depot?!
Oh yes. Closed in the 80s. Tbf at the time there were quite a few routes in Murton and Seaham, which lasted until even the mid-2000s I think, then they were merged into the 60 and 61 (and dad still refuses to believe the 152 doesn't run any more).
(08 Mar 2022, 4:32 pm)morritt89 wrote Not a service change as such but Peterlee outstation is closing at the end of March with services transferring to Deptford and a couple to Chester Le Street.

With all this talk about depots changing I do think there really could be a chance GNE will look at offloading Chester le Street and having a new build at Durham which can support electric charging. Especially if they won the P&R contract and the ZEBRA bid, it could house the P&R, 21, X5/X15, Cathedral Bus and Chester Town services, as well as the likes of the X21, X22, 25, 65. The 8 could go to Consett, Washington or Sunderland, then maybe the 34 go to Washington, the 28 to Consett and the 71 to Durham.

As for Peterlee, I wonder if the 62A might be slotted into the 62/X6 interworking as it arrives/departs Peterlee at the same time as the X6. Similarly I do wonder with the 55 whether one journey might terminate at Hetton le Hole following the extension of the X1, with the other bus continuing through to Peterlee and re-extended to Wingate to replace the 206. Then there's only the 201/209/210 left operating as town services.
(09 Mar 2022, 11:08 am)peter wrote With all this talk about depots changing I do think there really could be a chance GNE will look at offloading Chester le Street and having a new build at Durham which can support electric charging. Especially if they won the P&R contract and the ZEBRA bid, it could house the P&R, 21, X5/X15, Cathedral Bus and Chester Town services, as well as the likes of the X21, X22, 25, 65. The 8 could go to Consett, Washington or Sunderland, then maybe the 34 go to Washington, the 28 to Consett and the 71 to Durham.

As for Peterlee, I wonder if the 62A might be slotted into the 62/X6 interworking as it arrives/departs Peterlee at the same time as the X6. Similarly I do wonder with the 55 whether one journey might terminate at Hetton le Hole following the extension of the X1, with the other bus continuing through to Peterlee and re-extended to Wingate to replace the 206. Then there's only the 201/209/210 left operating as town services.

This was dismissed in the press: https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1...pot-close/
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(09 Mar 2022, 12:32 pm)peter wrote Doesn't rule it out completely tho...plans can change!

Appreciate that, but when speaking about it in the same context as the ZEBRA bid, I think it's important the point out the company have dismissed it. Especially when the actual bid documentation rightly raises questions about the longevity of the depot.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(09 Mar 2022, 12:34 pm)Adrian wrote Appreciate that, but when speaking about it in the same context as the ZEBRA bid, I think it's important the point out the company have dismissed it. Especially when the actual bid documentation rightly raises questions about the longevity of the depot.

Looking at the article you linked to, Martijn says 'there would be a lot of work to do on the final plans...Chester le Street depot could be part of that.' The article says that the company 'appeared to refute any suggestion that the depot would close' but to me the quotes provided don't say that explicitly...just that nothing's been finalised yet.