- 8/34 moving to Washington
- National Express to Washington
- 21/X21 to Riverside
- Versa and Lites to Deptford
- Solos to Washington
- Cathedral runs to Consett
- 8319 to Riverside
pretty much
So the 8 is moving to washington & Consett.

34 moving to Washington, however the Veras's & Lites are gonna to to Deptford, also what spare Streetlites do CLS have... | X21 are gonna have some dead mileage, aswell so are the Mercedes gonna be replaced by god what a waste of money on repaints
KingSlayerRBLX   07 Jun 2022, 8:04 pm
(07 Jun 2022, 7:59 pm)Unber43 wrote So the 8's moving to Consett & Washington. 

X21 going to have so much dead mileage. 

Which Veras's and Streetlites, so whats gonna be on the 34, clearly the consultation hasn’t came with any changes to the 25 or 28 which is a shame

What are the veras and streetlites gonna do at Deptford....
anything could happen. its all too confusing to believe. best just wait till things are confirmed
citaro5284   07 Jun 2022, 8:05 pm
Doubt Nat Exp would go to Washington, it doesn't have any toilet drop facilities
KingSlayerRBLX   07 Jun 2022, 8:08 pm
(07 Jun 2022, 8:05 pm)citaro5284 wrote Doubt Nat Exp would go to Washington, it doesn't have any toilet drop facilities
just gonna have to wait till things are confirmed
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Storx   07 Jun 2022, 8:31 pm
(07 Jun 2022, 5:46 pm)Chris 1 wrote The letter that Ambassador mentions above talks of restructure and consolidating the footprint down to 6 depots. I doubt very much a new depot is on the cards, certainly in the short term.

It’s on the North East Bus Enthusiasts Facebook group

Aye that's fair, see I thought it might've been a move like Riverside which was a merger of the old Winlaton and Gateshead depots and they got a new depot out of it in the process which saved costs in the long term.

The thing has been rumoured for years especially at Drum Ind. Estate.
DeltaMan   07 Jun 2022, 8:38 pm
Someone I know suggested they could use the Northern garage at Beamish Museum as an outstation. I did laugh out loud at that.
MurdnunoC   07 Jun 2022, 8:50 pm
(07 Jun 2022, 8:38 pm)DeltaMan wrote Someone I know suggested they could use the Northern garage at Beamish Museum as an outstation. I did laugh out loud at that.

To be fair, whilst it is small, it definitely looks more modern. Kind of incongruous to Beamish.
Unber43   07 Jun 2022, 8:53 pm
(07 Jun 2022, 8:38 pm)DeltaMan wrote Someone I know suggested they could use the Northern garage at Beamish Museum as an outstation. I did laugh out loud at that.
I mean a PVR of 3, 34. 

It goes right near there...
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
busmanT   07 Jun 2022, 10:37 pm
(07 Jun 2022, 7:53 pm)KingSlayerRBLX wrote Heard things such as:
- CR 8's moving to Consett
- 21/X21 to Riverside
- Solos to Washington
- 8319 to Riverside
pretty much
8 & 34 to Washington make sense - 9 PVR; Washington losing 4 PVR from 82/84 changes and 4 PVR from 26 linking with 24 in South Shields; losing 2 PVR from service 4 reduction so room for some Nexus schools. 700 etc could go to Washington as well.

21/X21 to Riverside (pity there isn't an outstation at Crook......)

Nat Exp to Riverside, Saltmeadows or even Percy M

Everything else cancelled as per consultation:
X22
28/28A/28B/734
plus school buses
Unber43   07 Jun 2022, 10:39 pm
(07 Jun 2022, 10:37 pm)busmanT wrote 8 & 34 to Washington make sense - 9 PVR; Washington losing 4 PVR from 82/84 changes and 4 PVR from 26 linking with 24 in South Shields; losing 2 PVR from service 4 reduction so room for some Nexus schools. 700 etc could go to Washington as well.

21/X21 to Riverside (pity there isn't an outstation at Crook......)

Nat Exp to Riverside, Saltmeadows or even Percy M

Everything else cancelled as per consultation:
X22
28/28A/28B/734
plus school buses
Has it been confirmed that the 

24 is every 15 mins, and being split with the 26/5
busmanT   08 Jun 2022, 6:54 am
(07 Jun 2022, 10:39 pm)Unber43 wrote Has it been confirmed that the 

24 is every 15 mins, and being split with the 26/5
Didn’t the consultation say it would be every 15 mins?
The only reason for splitting the 20 can be to allow interworking in S Shields with 26 (interworking with 50 won’t work due to both having a longer route) 

The 9 won’t work on its own (too tight), so it’s possible that the 24 might interwork with 5 & 9 - we’ll have to wait until the timetables appear.

Time for a good fleet livery…..
ian foster   08 Jun 2022, 8:39 am
(07 Jun 2022, 5:22 pm)cbma06 wrote Can’t see them building a new depot , as there supposed to be cutting back as there’s no money to spend, if some Chester services move to Washington then probably some Washington services will transfer to deptford

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I always thought the plan was to build a new depot in the Birtley area to replace both Chester le Street and Washington but that doesn't seem to be happening anymore. They would probably get a good price for the land at both depots maybe enough to build a new one.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
streetdeckfan   08 Jun 2022, 8:53 am
(08 Jun 2022, 8:39 am)ian foster wrote I always thought the plan was to build a new depot in the Birtley area to replace both Chester le Street and Washington but that doesn't seem to be happening anymore. They would probably get a good price for the land at both depots maybe enough to build a new one.
Is the land in CLS really that valuable? There's nowt really going for it other than being somewhat near the A1, and it'll be expensive to build on because of the massive retaining wall

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
54APhotography   08 Jun 2022, 9:00 am
Once all the cuts GNE are intent on go through other depots will have capacity. And with Mr popular from GNW arriving, guess more cuts and maybe another depot will go.
Ambassador   08 Jun 2022, 10:28 am
(08 Jun 2022, 8:53 am)streetdeckfan wrote Is the land in CLS really that valuable? There's nowt really going for it other than being somewhat near the A1, and it'll be expensive to build on because of the massive retaining wall

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Doubtful, its an awkward corner plot with existing commercial businesses attached to it and there's a lot of land (and current spare capacity) around Chester at the moment.

There may be some short term industrial or commercial use for it but I doubt its up to the modern spec most businesses would look for (and can probably get cheaper elsewhere)

I wonder if we could see the return of Birtley terminating 21's - straight up Newcastle Bank - bypass - Riverside and done. Guessing it will be a lot harder to regulate 21s from Riverside than it is via CLS

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
gc802002   08 Jun 2022, 1:14 pm
(07 Jun 2022, 7:53 pm)Xx KingSlayerRBLX wrote Heard things such as:
- CR 8's moving to Consett
- 21/X21 to Riverside
- Solos to Washington
- 8319 to Riverside
pretty much
8 to Washington is very Logical

Maybe there could be an option to Extend 34 to Washington covering some of the routes to be withdrawn if it is paid for (Hopefully we will find out what (if anything) is saved soon!)
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
morritt89   08 Jun 2022, 3:42 pm
What depot(s) have the facilities available for coach maintenance especially triaxle coaches? I know at Deptford we send them to Chester Le Street.

Also, it has been mentioned the 71 transferring to Deptford.
Unber43   08 Jun 2022, 4:00 pm
(08 Jun 2022, 3:42 pm)morritt89 wrote What depot(s) have the facilities available for coach maintenance especially triaxle coaches? I know at Deptford we send them to Chester Le Street.

Also, it has been mentioned the 71 transferring to Deptford.
Tbh, it could be worth extending it to Sunderland to have a every 30 mins with the X6 leaving, you could extend it actually throught where the 734 goes, and some of the 28 routes, say to Wreckton
DeltaMan   08 Jun 2022, 4:54 pm
Is the old travelshop / mess room going as well?
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Andreos1   08 Jun 2022, 6:23 pm
(08 Jun 2022, 4:53 pm)TEN 6083 wrote https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/2...le-street/

Sent from my iPhone 13 Pro using Tapatalk
I've been trying to find the original points of discussion following the rumours and stories earlier this year.
Gave up looking in the millions of multiple threads that exist now. 

But it would be interesting to compare and contrast the comments then with the comments now.
I'm particularly concerned around the comments relating to the proposed changes. We've been told they're proposed. We've been told nothing is definite. Yet there's comments in that article that seem to conflict with everything else.

* If the routes aren't going - why mention that they are in the article?
* If the routes are going and are based on falling numbers, then surely the decision to close the depot was made months ago, when rumours first emerged. 

My own opinion is that there's not enough money to replace the life expired (or soon to be) vehicles and the need to save money/consolidate remaining vehicles at the remaining depots is ever more urgent.
Mix that up with a commercial team unable to muster up anything exciting or new, alongside the ability to quickly point the finger at Covid and you end up with a story like this.
Ultimately, you can't run a network (viable or otherwise) the size of GNE's, with fewer vehicles.

Mind, there's more holes in these leaks and stories, than there are in a Swiss cheese factory that's been infested with hungry mice.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
DeltaMan   08 Jun 2022, 6:45 pm
(08 Jun 2022, 6:23 pm)Andreos1 wrote I've been trying to find the original points of discussion following the rumours and stories earlier this year.
Gave up looking in the millions of multiple threads that exist now. 

But it would be interesting to compare and contrast the comments then with the comments now.
I'm particularly concerned around the comments relating to the proposed changes. We've been told they're proposed. We've been told nothing is definite. Yet there's comments in that article that seem to conflict with everything else.

* If the routes aren't going - why mention that they are in the article?
* If the routes are going and are based on falling numbers, then surely the decision to close the depot was made months ago, when rumours first emerged. 

My own opinion is that there's not enough money to replace the life expired (or soon to be) vehicles and the need to save money/consolidate remaining vehicles at the remaining depots is ever more urgent.
Mix that up with a commercial team unable to muster up anything exciting or new, alongside the ability to quickly point the finger at Covid and you end up with a story like this.
Ultimately, you can't run a network (viable or otherwise) the size of GNE's, with fewer vehicles.

Mind, there's more holes in these leaks and stories, than there are in a Swiss cheese factory that's been infested with hungry mice.
It's worth pointing out it that in almost every bus company it is senior directors/management that set PVR numbers and vehicle requirements. Not commercial teams or engineering departments. That would be tail wagging the dog....
Drifter60   08 Jun 2022, 6:56 pm
(07 Jun 2022, 5:32 pm)Ambassador wrote The consultation letter confirming the closure is wisely circulating on Facebook

Hexham becomes a Consett out station

Does anyone have a copy of this?

What’s the change for Hexham then? What does becoming an ‘outstation’ mean in practice.

Also from March > https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1...pot-close/
cbma06   08 Jun 2022, 7:04 pm
(08 Jun 2022, 6:56 pm)Drifter60 wrote Does anyone have a copy of this? (DM if needs be)

What’s the change for Hexham then? What does becoming an ‘outstation’ mean in practice.

[Image: 3be16c596374d8e1ca8c5df87946af33.jpg]

(08 Jun 2022, 6:56 pm)Drifter60 wrote Does anyone have a copy of this? (DM if needs be)

I think Hexham will be similar as what Peterlee outstation was with just a small handful of buses parked up there overnight with all maintenance work done to the buses presumably done at consett

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
TEN 6083   08 Jun 2022, 7:17 pm
[Image: 955d4f5e4598b2b7585c0b1c2479e9ab.jpg]

The MP for North Durham, Kevan Jones has published a letter to be sent to GNE has posted it on his Facebook page.

Sent from my iPhone 13 Pro using Tapatalk
Andreos1   08 Jun 2022, 8:10 pm
https://www.facebook.com/96783637568/pos...3BX8KcSml/

Interesting comments from members of the public, staff and ex-staff.

Andreos1   08 Jun 2022, 8:27 pm
(08 Jun 2022, 6:45 pm)DeltaMan wrote It's worth pointing out it that in almost every bus company it is senior directors/management that set PVR numbers and vehicle requirements. Not commercial teams or engineering departments. That would be tail wagging the dog....
That might be the case.
But if a commercial team can't be as creative as Southeasterns accounting teams - things keep getting squeezed tighter and tighter.
It goes without saying that if the money ain't coming in, there's going to be a limit on what the MD can do to replace the life expired vehicles.

BusLoverMum   08 Jun 2022, 8:29 pm
It does look a lot like a gradual retreat northwards. Services to hartlepool and teesside have been slashed, Peterlee and Crook and now Chester closed. I'm wondering how long before nothing heads south of Durham or Peterlee?
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
DeltaMan   08 Jun 2022, 8:55 pm
(08 Jun 2022, 8:27 pm)Andreos1 wrote That might be the case.
But if a commercial team can't be as creative at Southeasterns accounting teams - things keep getting squeezed tighter and tighter.
It goes without saying that if the money ain't coming in, there's going to be a limit on what the MD can do to replace the life expired vehicles.

They'd have to be creative in any circumstance if they are told by senior management teams to cut PVR by X or Y but still cover most of the network.
Adrian   08 Jun 2022, 9:06 pm
(08 Jun 2022, 8:55 pm)DeltaMan wrote They'd have to be creative in any circumstance if they are told by senior management teams to cut PVR by X or Y but still cover most of the network.

It'd be odd for any company to impose a directive such as cutting PVR or services, wouldn't it? Are they not more likely to have been told to maintain (or increase) margin to X%? Of course, I agree one key way to achieve that is to reduce overheads, but the other is to increase sales.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Pages (18)    1 2 318