You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Major Service Changes July 2022

RE: Go North East: Major Service Changes July 2022
(08 Jul 2022, 9:14 pm)Storx wrote I know what your saying and I don't disagree but it would cost an absolute fortune. All the timetables are just automated from the data API's it's why they're all over the place with your 32/32A example. You'd need someone to manually change them all otherwise and I wouldn't want to know how many bus stops there are in Tyne and Wear and Northumberland (they do those aswell now) - it would take hours and that's being light.

Personally I'd love to see more real time information screens at bus stops. We're really behind compared to pretty much every other city which give real time information (also something else that doesn't exist). Google and apps can do it, there's no real reason why the bus stop displays in particular in bus stations couldn't do it rather than saying a bus is due which has been cancelled etc. Places like Durham Road they'd be ideal tbh since no-one really needs to or wants to know what bus is coming in 7 hours time.

some stops along durham road do have them and they actually work!

I'm amazed some many people have gripes with nexus,,,,,, if you live in gateshead and other parts of the region and get the bus there is a good chance they are the reason your getting a chance to used it!
(09 Jul 2022, 7:45 am)Rob44 wrote some stops along durham road do have them and they actually work!

I'm amazed some many people have gripes with nexus,,,,,, if you live in gateshead and other parts of the region and get the bus there is a good chance they are the reason your getting a chance to used it!

They're not live are they? Believe they just use a timetable so even if the bus is 15 minutes late it'll still show etc similar in Haymarket etc. (I could be wrong though).

https://www.malverngazette.co.uk/news/15...bus-stops/ - Stuff like that should be getting installed imo, at least at core bus stops (Whitley Bay, Wrekenton, Low Fell and so on).

It'd arguably be better value for money than blowing it on more bus lanes in places they're not needed like usual if there's a limited budget.
Serious question here and it's more to do with operational flexibility with the clean air zone coming into force soon rather than what vehicle goes on what route.

If GNE re-routed the X30/X31 via Ravensworth Road, Railway Street and Clockmill Road to avoid the bridge on Ellison Road, how much extra time would it take?

My thoughts would be to make the following changes:

- X30/X31 - revised to operate via Ravensworth Road, Railway Street, Clockmill Road then non stop to Central Station via Team Street, Askew Road West and Redheugh Bridge (or via Centrelink at AM peaks)

- 10/10A/10B - At AM peaks, revised to operate via Askew Road West, Tyne Road, Rose Street then via Centrelink as now.

- 6 revised to operate via Clockmill Road, Derwentwater Road and A184 to Redheugh Bridge.
(10 Jul 2022, 8:24 am)Storx wrote They're not live are they? Believe they just use a timetable so even if the bus is 15 minutes late it'll still show etc similar in Haymarket etc. (I could be wrong though).

https://www.malverngazette.co.uk/news/15...bus-stops/ - Stuff like that should be getting installed imo, at least at core bus stops (Whitley Bay, Wrekenton, Low Fell and so on).

It'd arguably be better value for money than blowing it on more bus lanes in places they're not needed like usual if there's a limited budget.
Yes they are live as it shows when 3 21s are withings 10 minutes of eachother.

On another note I'm on the 28b... and its rammed as there hasnt been a 21 in ages. What will happen fro. 2 weeks time if the 28b nexus bus picks up all these fares??? Gne will be seething
(10 Jul 2022, 12:04 pm)Jack Gill wrote Well, by that date the 21 should be able to run normally again, with lots of drivers being left from route cuts.

On the subject of the 21 I see it is still going to be every 10 minutes during the week as part of this temporary timetable with no mention as to whether this is now a permanent change or if/when it'll be getting changed back.
(10 Jul 2022, 12:04 pm)Jack Gill wrote Well, by that date the 21 should be able to run normally again, with lots of drivers being left from route cuts.
Theoretically. Aye, it should be.
Reality is a whole different ball game, especially when Chester has all the ongoing issues it has going on.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(10 Jul 2022, 12:30 pm)User2613 wrote On the subject of the 21 I see it is still going to be every 10 minutes during the week as part of this temporary timetable with no mention as to whether this is now a permanent change or if/when it'll be getting changed back.
I doubt it actually will go back to every 7 minutes, although the branding still says it is. It seems to be fine the majority of the time at every 10 minutes other than peak times, and obviously now when buses are cancelled left right and centre.
Site Administrator
(10 Jul 2022, 12:42 pm)Andreos1 wrote Theoretically. Aye, it should be.
Reality is a whole different ball game, especially when Chester has all the ongoing issues it has going on.

I suspect the whole company will be over-staffed from 24 July and drivers from other depots don’t have very much sympathy for colleagues at Chester-le-Street following the substantial re-location package that they have been offered - so is entirely possible that drivers would transfer to Chester-le-Street on loan if there was issues from this date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(10 Jul 2022, 12:54 pm)Dan wrote I suspect the whole company will be over-staffed from 24 July and drivers from other depots don’t have very much sympathy for colleagues at Chester-le-Street following the substantial re-location package that they have been offered - so is entirely possible that drivers would transfer to Chester-le-Street on loan if there was issues from this date.

Overstaffing issues at GNE?! Has there ever been such a thing, despite a constant recruitment campaign to backfill?

I'd not like to see the reaction on the faces of drivers at Chester, having seen and heard that drivers from other depots may be voluntarily working or encouraged to work out of Chester.
(10 Jul 2022, 12:54 pm)Dan wrote I suspect the whole company will be over-staffed from 24 July and drivers from other depots don’t have very much sympathy for colleagues at Chester-le-Street following the substantial re-location package that they have been offered - so is entirely possible that drivers would transfer to Chester-le-Street on loan if there was issues from this date.

What a horrendously archaic view of the current employment situation in the UK, no wonder GNE struggle to recruit if this is the office view. It’s an employees market right now,  It’s not all about money or relocation packages, it’s about quality of life, commute time, work life balance not just someone throwing some money at the problem.
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Site Administrator
(10 Jul 2022, 1:38 pm)Ambassador wrote What a horrendously archaic view of the current employment situation in the UK, no wonder GNE struggle to recruit if this is the office view. It’s an employees market right now,  It’s not all about money or relocation packages, it’s about quality of life, commute time, work life balance not just someone throwing some money at the problem.

This isn’t the ‘office view’ at all and I’m not sure how you came to that conclusion?

This is the view of drivers at other depots from what I have heard - and being a member of enthusiast Facebook groups as you proved recently, I’m sure you’ll have seen a few comments of this nature yourself.

It is harsh but depot closures are not new, and many drivers and engineering colleagues in the past have not been so fortunate with a re-location package and it has been forced upon them. It is clear that the business has reached this decision to reduce overheads, for cost avoidance, and to help protect jobs across the company in the long-term - by no means am I condoning it, and I agree it is an awful shame, but it is good to see that the company is doing more by its employees than they have in previous depot closures. Other colleagues who haven’t been so fortunate in the past may not feel the same way.

(10 Jul 2022, 12:50 pm)Jack Gill wrote I doubt it actually will go back to every 7 minutes, although the branding still says it is. It seems to be fine the majority of the time at every 10 minutes other than peak times, and obviously now when buses are cancelled left right and centre.
Maybe that's why the X21 has been reduced to a 4 hour cycle. If demand shows more passengers using the 21 from Durham, along the A167 and Chester Le Street to Low Fell, Gateshead and Newcastle, this could facilitate the return of a 15 minute frequency for the X21 like pre-covid. Furthermore, could even run the half hourly service as an X22 and extend to Brandon, also replacing the 21 on that part.
Yes, but the 21 will only be every 15 minutes so each bus will be a lot busier.

I wonder if drivers have realised yet  that all the remaining buses will be busier?

With early morning and evening services cancelled/reduced (less need for early and late duties) many more duties will be working wholly during the busy 0730-1800 period so the remaining drivers will have to work a lot harder!

That’s assuming all the passengers haven’t deserted GNE by then.

I wonder if drivers have realised yet  that all the remaining buses will be busier?

With early morning and evening services cancelled/reduced (less need for early and late duties) many more duties will be working wholly during the busy 0730-1800 period so the remaining drivers will have to work a lot harder!

(10 Jul 2022, 2:28 pm)L469 YVK wrote Maybe that's why the X21 has been reduced to a 4 hour cycle. If demand shows more passengers using the 21 from Durham, along the A167 and Chester Le Street to Low Fell, Gateshead and Newcastle, this could facilitate the return of a 15 minute frequency for the X21 like pre-covid. Furthermore, could even run the half hourly service as an X22 and extend to Brandon, also replacing the 21 on that part.

What would be cheaper to run, an increased frequency on the X21 or 21?
(10 Jul 2022, 2:54 pm)busmanT wrote Yes, but the 21 will only be every 15 minutes so each bus will be a lot busier.

I wonder what those busier buses will do to reliability!
Assuming all the passengers haven't deserted GNE by then.
(10 Jul 2022, 3:32 pm)streetdeckfan wrote What would be cheaper to run, an increased frequency on the X21 or 21?

So if the 21 was increased back to every 7-8 mins between CLS and Newcastle:
- 21 = 16x
- X21 = 8x
Total = 24x

If 21 stayed at every 10 minutes between CLS and Newcastle with the X21 going back to every 15 mins between Newcastle and Durham:
- 21 = 13x
- X21 = 12x
Total = 25x

It would mean a PVR increase by 1x but would depend on traffic flows etc. As mentioned, if demand was more there to Low Fell, Gateshead and Newcastle rather than hop-on/hop-off via Birtley and other stops, it would make more sense.
(10 Jul 2022, 4:13 pm)L469 YVK wrote So if the 21 was increased back to every 7-8 mins between CLS and Newcastle:
- 21 = 16x
- X21 = 8x
Total = 24x

If 21 stayed at every 10 minutes between CLS and Newcastle with the X21 going back to every 15 mins between Newcastle and Durham:
- 21 = 13x
- X21 = 12x
Total = 25x

It would mean a PVR increase by 1x but would depend on traffic flows etc. As mentioned, if demand was more there to Low Fell, Gateshead and Newcastle rather than hop-on/hop-off via Birtley and other stops, it would make more sense.

The busiest part of the route is Newcastle - The Angel. There's no need for more buses missing it out going to Durham. The short run X21's were dead.

Most people use the train between Durham and Newcastle as it takes 15 minutes rather than an hour and is as frequent.
(10 Jul 2022, 4:36 pm)Storx wrote The busiest part of the route is Newcastle - The Angel. There's no need for more buses missing it out going to Durham. The short run X21's were dead.

Most people use the train between Durham and Newcastle as it takes 15 minutes rather than an hour and is as frequent.
Do you know this, as it seems to be presented in a fact form, also Durham to newcastle is like 3/4x what the bus is
(10 Jul 2022, 6:34 pm)Unber43 wrote Do you know this, as it seems to be presented in a fact form, also Durham to newcastle is like 3/4x what the bus is

Well if you get the trains at rush hour there's a lot of people who get on off at Durham from Newcastle least 2 carriage loads.

The pricing off peak isn't too different £11.50 / £12.45 via train with plusbus vs bus £10.90 an explorer ticket. You have to remember most people don't live near GNE routes at either end of the route so you need multiple tickets not to mention the timing difference / reliability difference.

The fact it's down to 2 buses an hour fast and 2 via everywhere probably says there's not much demand and the slow one seems to be going to more places to try and attract more passengers (you wouldn't do that if it was busy already).
Pre covid, a 7.59 Durham rocNewcastle service was officially the most ‘overcrowded’ in the UK, at 88% above capacity. Convenience and time will always win out over a bus
(10 Jul 2022, 6:55 pm)Storx wrote Well if you get the trains at rush hour there's a lot of people who get on off at Durham from Newcastle least 2 carriage loads.

The pricing off peak isn't too different £11.50 / £12.45 via train with plusbus vs bus £10.90 an explorer ticket. You have to remember most people don't live near GNE routes at either end of the route so you need multiple tickets not to mention the timing difference / reliability difference.

The fact it's down to 2 buses an hour fast and 2 via everywhere probably says there's not much demand and the slow one seems to be going to more places to try and attract more passengers (you wouldn't do that if it was busy already).

A plusbus ticket wouldn't be valid though, would it?

I thought you couldn't get them if you're travelling within the region. I know they're different cities, in different counties, but they're pretty close together.

Actually, looking it up they are separate areas so it would work, but it seems you would have to buy two separate tickets, one for Durham and one for Newcastle

Also, having had the misfortune many, many times of having to travel between Newcastle and Durham at peak times, I'd say there is definitely a need for more buses. It's not uncommon for 2-3 X21s, and the 21s inbetween to be absolutely packed by the time they get to Gateshead.
(10 Jul 2022, 10:21 pm)streetdeckfan wrote A plusbus ticket wouldn't be valid though, would it?

I thought you couldn't get them if you're travelling within the region. I know they're different cities, in different counties, but they're pretty close together.

PlusBus is available at both Newcastle and Durham for journeys between the two.
(10 Jul 2022, 10:28 pm)omnicity4659 wrote PlusBus is available at both Newcastle and Durham for journeys between the two.

Yeah, I looked it up after leaving that comment, but you would have to buy both zones, which puts another £4 on the price, and presumably you would have to buy two single tickets to make that work?
(10 Jul 2022, 10:29 pm)streetdeckfan wrote Yeah, I looked it up after leaving that comment, but you would have to buy both zones, which puts another £4 on the price, and presumably you would have to buy two single tickets to make that work?

No, both the origin and destination PlusBus tickets can be added, but these would end up costing more or less the same as a bus day ticket themselves. These tickets were designed for those making longer journeys where there usually isn't a cheaper bus alternative.
(10 Jul 2022, 10:21 pm)streetdeckfan wrote A plusbus ticket wouldn't be valid though, would it?

Actually, looking it up they are separate areas so it would work, but it seems you would have to buy two separate tickets, one for Durham and one for Newcastle

Also, having had the misfortune many, many times of having to travel between Newcastle and Durham at peak times, I'd say there is definitely a need for more buses. It's not uncommon for 2-3 X21s, and the 21s inbetween to be absolutely packed by the time they get to Gateshead.
The problem with more buses is that the 21 tends to empty out by the time it leaves Birtley so if you’re looking st numbers, you’d whack on more CLS runs as opposed to Durham
Maybe it's just me, but the faff of dealing with Durham train station is enough to put me off, you spend more time walking up the hill than you'd save taking the train!
In fact, even when taking the train, I actively avoid going to Durham, I'd sooner travel all the way to Newcastle and catch it from there
I've just noticed on the new 21 timetable that they've added earlier morning journeys from Durham, with the first one of the day leaving Durham towards Newcastle at 4.22am. I don't understand why this isn't even mentioned in the summary of the changes, as this would actually count as a positive change. I thought anything that would be considered positive, they'd be wanting to shout from the rooftops about.