Menu

Pages (8)    14 5 68   
Roland Pratt   19 Jan 2014, 8:56 am
(18 Jan 2014, 8:03 pm)Greg in Weardale wrote And why do people with concession passes get paper tickets; stopping that would speed up boarding times if they went paperless like other tickets are.

Yes I agree. From observation its often these passes which take longer than the cash fares, as the OAPs have to be told exactly how to hold their tickets. Surely in this day and age you could have a pass which you just wave at the scanner as you pass rather than have to place in exactly the right position.
Agree also how are passengers supposed to have the correct fare if the fares aren't advertised. At one time fares information was given in Middlesbrough bus station but this didn't last long.
It's easy to say passengers should have the exact money, but if you're pay's just gone into the bank on the morning and you've just drawn some out, like someone said earlier you don't get the option of coins!
G-CPTN   19 Jan 2014, 9:17 am
Stagecoach (on the 685) require free pass users to state destination then the driver has to select this before the ticket is issued, whereas Arriva and Go North East (at least in Tynedale) automatically 'charge' through to the end destination of the route, which is quicker WRT ticket issue.
School children with passes have to state destination - I don't know whether they 'part pay' for their journeys.

I agree that a high percentage of 'pensioners' struggle with applying their pass to the reader but that isn't helped by different types of reader used by different operators (some are on top whilst others have a remote reader).

Then there's the problem with passes still in wallets that have other passes that confuse the reader.
I always extract my pass from my wallet (before I board the bus) but with the result that the image on the face is worn away - though the pass still works. Replacement passes cost £15 since NCC took over from Tynedale.
Andreos1   22 Jan 2014, 3:43 pm
One of the Nexus branded Solos had a bit of a problem as I passed it at Holystone on the A19 this morning.
No idea what the problem was, but it was parked on sliproad with hazards on.

Was gone when I went by a few hours later.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
coldav   23 Jan 2014, 12:39 am
7501 was receiving attention at Ashington on Monday and I am told that it has now moved to Blyth
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
tyresmoke   23 Jan 2014, 1:07 am
(23 Jan 2014, 12:39 am)coldav wrote 7501 was receiving attention at Ashington on Monday and I am told that it has now moved to Blyth

Should hopefully free up a Gemini to move south.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Dan   23 Jan 2014, 4:08 pm
Shout out to the driver of 2805 on 23s! Yet another Belmont driver who has no idea what a Nexus CAT ticket is. Just a shame this driver didn't let me show him where the option was for a £1.10 day ticket on the machine, as I've done several times in the past.

But hey, of course the passenger does not know best - this driver seemed to think I knew nothing! Great customer service.
Tom   23 Jan 2014, 4:12 pm
(23 Jan 2014, 4:08 pm)Dan wrote Shout out to the driver of 2805 on 23s! Yet another Belmont driver who has no idea what a Nexus CAT ticket is. Just a shame this driver didn't let me show him where the option was for a £1.10 day ticket on the machine, as I've done several times in the past.

But hey, of course the passenger does not know best - this driver seemed to think I knew nothing! Great customer service.

That's Arriva for you... Wink
Dan   23 Jan 2014, 4:15 pm
(23 Jan 2014, 4:12 pm)Tom wrote That's Arriva for you... Wink

Just seems odd that Jesmond can accept Nexus CAT tickets, all GNE depots can, all SNE depots can (providing services they operate have a presence in Tyne and Wear), the Metro and Ferry can, Northern Rail can... But Belmont can't accept or issue them for their services which have a presence in Tyne and Wear.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Roland Pratt   23 Jan 2014, 5:53 pm
(23 Jan 2014, 4:12 pm)Tom wrote That's Arriva for you... Wink

On their Facebook page yesterday it had someone complaining (at 0940) that two X66s had come into M'bro together. One had gone onto the stand and dropped off, the other, seeing that one there, had gone straight back out without going to the stand. The one on the stand then told waiting passengers that he was going back light and the next bus would be 1020!!
Then the same day a complaint about a 29 not running to Stokesley. Arriva gave the usual excuse 'operational difficulties'. If this happens after next month it will mean a two hour gap. And they wonder why people don't use the buses.
Roland Pratt   23 Jan 2014, 5:56 pm
(23 Jan 2014, 12:18 am)tyresmoke wrote Another day another Dart goes walkies, 1303 on 57A... Sainsburys 1759 had appeared on the 63 at Redcar by 5pm too....
The 1615 ex Whitby and 1815 ex Middlesbrough 5s failed to operate as Whitby didn't have a bus to do it with! Prestige 4080 spent the day on X93s.

And couldn't another depot find a bus to lend them? It beggers belief.
tyresmoke   23 Jan 2014, 8:41 pm
(23 Jan 2014, 5:53 pm)Roland Pratt wrote On their Facebook page yesterday it had someone complaining (at 0940) that two X66s had come into M'bro together. One had gone onto the stand and dropped off, the other, seeing that one there, had gone straight back out without going to the stand. The one on the stand then told waiting passengers that he was going back light and the next bus would be 1020!!
Then the same day a complaint about a 29 not running to Stokesley. Arriva gave the usual excuse 'operational difficulties'. If this happens after next month it will mean a two hour gap. And they wonder why people don't use the buses.

Incompetence from the first X66 driver then, if you're going to run back light you don't drop off on the stand you'd normally pick up from! The second one would naturally assume (as I would) that he would take the stand and go straight out!

tyresmoke   23 Jan 2014, 8:42 pm
(23 Jan 2014, 5:56 pm)Roland Pratt wrote And couldn't another depot find a bus to lend them? It beggers belief.

Which other depot would that be? Redcar and Whitby should sort their own problems out.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
citaro5284   23 Jan 2014, 9:40 pm
(23 Jan 2014, 8:42 pm)tyresmoke wrote Which other depot would that be? Redcar and Whitby should sort their own problems out.

All operate for the same Company, so depots should assist each other to maintain a service.
tyresmoke   23 Jan 2014, 9:54 pm
(23 Jan 2014, 9:51 pm)busman101 wrote Canny lost mileage from Whitby to the Boro and back !

Indeed, it would be lovely if Stockton could bail them out time and again but we don't have the resources to do that without compromising our own operations.

busman101   23 Jan 2014, 10:34 pm
(23 Jan 2014, 9:54 pm)tyresmoke wrote Indeed, it would be lovely if Stockton could bail them out time and again but we don't have the resources to do that without compromising our own operations.

Drop an X2 - neebody would notice cos they're used to catching the Pronto instead ! Smile
Kuyoyo   23 Jan 2014, 10:56 pm
(23 Jan 2014, 10:34 pm)busman101 wrote Drop an X2 - neebody would notice cos they're used to catching the Pronto instead ! Smile

Very hard to do if the Middlesbrough Inspector doesn't find out about the missing working until the time he apparently did, by which time all 3 of Stockton's X2 vehicles are busy between Durham and Newcastle carrying all those passengers that have been waiting for those 21s that just haven't turned up!
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Andreos1   23 Jan 2014, 11:07 pm
(23 Jan 2014, 9:54 pm)tyresmoke wrote Indeed, it would be lovely if Stockton could bail them out time and again but we don't have the resources to do that without compromising our own operations.

You need a depot in the middle somewhere.
I dunno, somewhere like Loftus Wink

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
tyresmoke   24 Jan 2014, 1:10 pm
Latest Pulsar to be de-branded at Stockton depot is former 9 1443.
.jpg
ane_1443.jpg (Size 259.92 KB Downloads 21)

1441 is being done at present, with 1442 up next, then we'll move on to the 27's. All due to be completed by the changes from 16th February.

Dan   24 Jan 2014, 5:44 pm
Have been meaning to copy these over but keep forgetting...

Movements this period:
4042 – Awaiting Disposal to Redcar
4052 – Under Repair to Jesmond
4071 – Awaiting Disposal to Redcar
4093 – Redcar to Awaiting Disposal
4098 – Redcar to Awaiting Disposal
1743 – Redcar to Reserve or Disposal
busman101   24 Jan 2014, 7:20 pm
(23 Jan 2014, 10:56 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Very hard to do if the Middlesbrough Inspector doesn't find out about the missing working until the time he apparently did, by which time all 3 of Stockton's X2 vehicles are busy between Durham and Newcastle carrying all those passengers that have been waiting for those 21s that just haven't turned up!

You make me chuckle - tonight's peak time X2 (which was late) featured a double decker & 8 passengers from Gateshead, with a 21 going 5 minutes in front with a standing load on a decker and the previous 21 left on time as well with a canny load.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Tom   24 Jan 2014, 7:29 pm
(24 Jan 2014, 7:20 pm)busman101 wrote You make me chuckle - tonight's peak time X2 (which was late) featured a double decker & 8 passengers from Gateshead, with a 21 going 5 minutes in front with a standing load on a decker and the previous 21 left on time as well with a canny load.

X2 is a pointless and terrible service. During the day, there is normally only about 5 passengers on the X2 leaving Newcastle, all of which OAP's! Whereas the X21 is generally full.
Tom   24 Jan 2014, 7:29 pm
(24 Jan 2014, 7:20 pm)busman101 wrote You make me chuckle - tonight's peak time X2 (which was late) featured a double decker & 8 passengers from Gateshead, with a 21 going 5 minutes in front with a standing load on a decker and the previous 21 left on time as well with a canny load.

X2 is a pointless and terrible service. During the day, there is normally only about 5 passengers on the X2 leaving Newcastle, all of which OAP's! Whereas the X21 is generally full.
busman101   24 Jan 2014, 7:32 pm
(24 Jan 2014, 7:29 pm)Tom wrote X2 is a pointless and terrible service. During the day, there is normally only about 5 passengers on the X2 leaving Newcastle, all of which OAP's! Whereas the X21 is generally full.

Glad its not just me who notices these things Tom !
Kuyoyo   24 Jan 2014, 7:33 pm
(24 Jan 2014, 7:29 pm)Tom wrote X2 is a pointless and terrible service. During the day, there is normally only about 5 passengers on the X2 leaving Newcastle, all of which OAP's! Whereas the X21 is generally full.

X2 is there for the people of Durham who work in Newcastle - no X2 would result in a decrease in profitability on Durham locals. Plus, if the X2 was dropped, the X1 would still end up carrying on upto Framwellgate Moor as the University is the reason the splitting up of the two routes in late 2012 never happened.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
citaro5284   24 Jan 2014, 7:39 pm
(24 Jan 2014, 7:33 pm)Kuyoyo wrote X2 is there for the people of Durham who work in Newcastle - no X2 would result in a decrease in profitability on Durham locals. Plus, if the X2 was dropped, the X1 would still end up carrying on upto Framwellgate Moor as the University is the reason the splitting up of the two routes in late 2012 never happened.

So nowt to do with your previous comment about picking up passengers off the 21 then Tongue
Kuyoyo   24 Jan 2014, 7:44 pm
(24 Jan 2014, 7:39 pm)citaro5284 wrote So nowt to do with your previous comment about picking up passengers off the 21 then Tongue

And that, but of course certain people would lead you to believe that doesn't happen.......
busman101   24 Jan 2014, 7:52 pm
(24 Jan 2014, 7:44 pm)Kuyoyo wrote And that, but of course certain people would lead you to believe that doesn't happen.......

It doesn't happen very often - the odd person for Low Fell with an NTL ticket (so carrying them for nowt), but if the Durham locals are all feeding the X2 they must be in a pretty sorry state from seeing the numbers on the X2 ! I suspect that the X21 has taken a lot more folk from the X2 than the X2 takes off the 21.
citaro5284   24 Jan 2014, 7:55 pm
(24 Jan 2014, 7:44 pm)Kuyoyo wrote And that, but of course certain people would lead you to believe that doesn't happen.......

Cannot remember seeing on here anyone saying the 21 operates every single journey
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Adrian   24 Jan 2014, 7:56 pm
It doesn't happen to be honest. Past Chester Le Street towards Newcastle, you'll be lucky if the X2 makes more than a couple of pick ups, all of which are generally OAPs. Most are standing waiting for the 21.

I do Durham to Newcastle often on the X2, as I've an Arriva monthly ticket. There's never more than a handful of people on it at various times throughout the day.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Tom   24 Jan 2014, 8:42 pm
(24 Jan 2014, 7:56 pm)aureolin wrote It doesn't happen to be honest. Past Chester Le Street towards Newcastle, you'll be lucky if the X2 makes more than a couple of pick ups, all of which are generally OAPs. Most are standing waiting for the 21.

I do Durham to Newcastle often on the X2, as I've an Arriva monthly ticket. There's never more than a handful of people on it at various times throughout the day.

Maybe they should just scrap the X2, and put more time into the X1, which is a very popular service.
Pages (8)    14 5 68