You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Next Stop Announcement Systems

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems
The B9s on the 10 need looked at. (The actual equipment rather than the audio files).
Several seem to either not work at all, some don’t work downstairs but you can just about hear them from upstairs if you’re sat in the wheelchair bay, or the screens are frozen.
Reported several vehicles to customer services but it’s still quite hit and miss.

Also something must be not quite right with the Geofence at Askew Road West near the Teams Super Save store as approaching Askew Rd West/Oak Square(?) it announces the stop name but then just as it’s about to pull in it says ‘Next Stop’ again but nothing else. That happens on the 6 and 10.
The 1 has now got them. One small problem

Why
Why
Why

Does it still mention Howard Street. It's been closed for over a year. Stephenson Street nsa seems to have been replaced
Is it just this new Yutong which doesn’t have working announcements or are they all like that?
This one doesn’t announce the service number & destination or the stop names. Just keeps saying ‘Next stop’.

EDIT: Oh, 16 mins in it started saying some of the stop names.
(05 Sep 2022, 12:07 pm)ne14ne1 wrote Is it just this new Yutong which doesn’t have working announcements or are they all like that?
This one doesn’t announce the service number & destination or the stop names. Just keeps saying ‘Next stop’.

Theres been issues on E10's since they got first introduced on 53/54
(01 Sep 2022, 4:23 pm)F114TML wrote 61 also has them again but it doesn't announce the route number and some stops weren't announced.
On journey's to Peterlee it stops announcing at Murton colliery Inn. Then misses all of Murton approximately 14/15 stops then starts at Easington Lane . It does this in both directions ( Murton only journey's seem ok)61A has none at all
(05 Sep 2022, 12:07 pm)ne14ne1 wrote Is it just this new Yutong which doesn’t have working announcements or are they all like that?

EDIT: Oh, 16 mins in it started saying some of the stop names.
This was quite irritating for me this morning as it did not announce a stop till Regent Centre so I'd think Great Park to Regent Centre has recordings then from the City Centre to St.Peter's Basin will also have announcements, the section from Haymarket to Regent Centre via the old 33 route has had it's recordings done yet i'd imagine which is why it constantly says Next Stop Only.
(06 Sep 2022, 7:22 pm)Malarkey wrote This was quite irritating for me this morning as it did not announce a stop till Regent Centre so I'd think Great Park to Regent Centre has recordings then from the City Centre to St.Peter's Basin will also have announcements, the section from Haymarket to Regent Centre via the old 33 route has had it's recordings done yet i'd imagine which is why it constantly says Next Stop Only.

That’s ridiculous the routes served Osborne Rd for quite some time now. 
You’d have thought they’d at least have had it sorted for the new electrics going on!
(06 Sep 2022, 8:03 pm)ne14ne1 wrote That’s ridiculous the routes served Osborne Rd for quite some time now. 
You’d have thought they’d at least have had it sorted for the new electrics going on!

I'm sure they'll have NSA's from the old 33, should only be a cut and paste job into the Q3 NSA's and test that it works, can't imagine it being more complex than that although it Go North East and nothing is done in a simplistic way.
Site Administrator
(06 Sep 2022, 8:19 pm)Malarkey wrote I'm sure they'll have NSA's from the old 33, should only be a cut and paste job into the Q3 NSA's and test that it works, can't imagine it being more complex than that although it Go North East and nothing is done in a simplistic way.

These announcements worked on the Hanover system.

This is a new system from another supplier, so it’s obvious there’s going to be some teething issues.

These teething issues would normally be addressed with a high priority - but, as posted elsewhere, Go-Ahead are suffering a Group-wide cyber attack. Putting two and two together, I’d imagine that’s having an impact and might be why nothing has been sorted yet..?!

Regardless, it isn’t a “cut and paste job”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(06 Sep 2022, 8:34 pm)Dan wrote These announcements worked on the Hanover system.

This is a new system from another supplier, so it’s obvious there’s going to be some teething issues.

These teething issues would normally be addressed with a high priority - but, as posted elsewhere, Go-Ahead are suffering a Group-wide cyber attack. Putting two and two together, I’d imagine that’s having an impact and might be why nothing has been sorted yet..?!

Regardless, it isn’t a “cut and paste job”.

The cyber attack only happened yesterday to my knowledge so other than the past 2 days there is no excuse in my opinion, the company received the buses nearly 3 weeks ago and this should've been done during preparation for service before entering service Saturday gone as your fully aware Dan given you have done this particular job previously during your tenure at Go North East.
Site Administrator
(06 Sep 2022, 8:51 pm)Malarkey wrote The cyber attack only happened yesterday to my knowledge so other than the past 2 days there is no excuse in my opinion, the company received the buses nearly 3 weeks ago and this should've been done during preparation for service before entering service Saturday gone as your fully aware Dan given you have done this particular job previously during your tenure at Go North East.

And because I’ve done the job previously, I know it’s not as simple as you’re making out.

The buses entered service on Saturday (just a few days after these buses could legally go on the road), when these issues became apparent. The next working day is Monday, i.e the time of the cyber attack.

In the same way that Arriva North East have had teething issues with the destination displays on some of their new buses (caused by wiring issues for the next stop announcements showing the date and time on front destination instead of the destination displays themselves), these things take time to remedy - and normally there isn’t a cyber attack at the same time.

(11 Oct 2022, 7:55 am)Unber43 wrote Is there any reason why all of the 15'/16' & Ex-Saltwell parks streetlites don't actually have NSA screens?

Hello, 

Some have them, 8346 has one it’s in the same place as the newer Streetlites. A fitting similar to the EastDurham 65 Streetlites. 

These ones don’t rattle as much as the newer ones and they’re warm ones too.

Thanks.
Noticed an interesting use of the display/announcement equipment on the 900 earlier... I was sat in the front seat so could see what was happening in the cab. The driver had it set to "Heworth from St James" so it didn't work as it should, just saying "900 to Heworth" after the doors had closed.

At random points through the journey he'd start playing around with the controller to display random destinations such as Central Station, presumably so he could see it in the reflection of the bus windows in front...?

After Simonside, he then played with the controller again so the announcements cycled through "900 to Tyne Dock", "900 to Bede" and "900 to Heworth", and then after Jarrow he did it once again so the bus announced "900 to Hebburn", "900 to Pelaw" and "900 to Heworth". All of that also displayed on the exterior blinds too.

On the approach to Heworth, he cycled through the destination list once again and selected Whitley Bay, so the external blinds showed Whitley Bay, and the bus announced "900 to Whitley Bay"! He then cycled back through to select South Shields.

I just found this rather peculiar, and potentially confusing for someone unfamiliar with the area or Metro Replacement buses - especially announcing Tyne Dock after Simonside!
(12 Oct 2022, 9:30 pm)omnicity4659 wrote Noticed an interesting use of the display/announcement equipment on the 900 earlier... I was sat in the front seat so could see what was happening in the cab. The driver had it set to "Heworth from St James" so it didn't work as it should, just saying "900 to Heworth" after the doors had closed.

At random points through the journey he'd start playing around with the controller to display random destinations such as Central Station, presumably so he could see it in the reflection of the bus windows in front...?

After Simonside, he then played with the controller again so the announcements cycled through "900 to Tyne Dock", "900 to Bede" and "900 to Heworth", and then after Jarrow he did it once again so the bus announced "900 to Hebburn", "900 to Pelaw" and "900 to Heworth". All of that also displayed on the exterior blinds too.

On the approach to Heworth, he cycled through the destination list once again and selected Whitley Bay, so the external blinds showed Whitley Bay, and the bus announced "900 to Whitley Bay"! He then cycled back through to select South Shields.

I just found this rather peculiar, and potentially confusing for someone unfamiliar with the area or Metro Replacement buses - especially announcing Tyne Dock after Simonside!

Report it to Customer Services
(12 Oct 2022, 9:30 pm)omnicity4659 wrote Noticed an interesting use of the display/announcement equipment on the 900 earlier... I was sat in the front seat so could see what was happening in the cab. The driver had it set to "Heworth from St James" so it didn't work as it should, just saying "900 to Heworth" after the doors had closed.

I was on the 60 pullings in Park Lane, and it said This is the 6 Service to Lanchester, obviously, that must have been a mistake because, by the time I got off, it said "Drifter 60 Service to Parkside, but I always see drivers accidentally putting in the wrong display on, but it's always quickly changed, never had a driver who constantly changes the display. However I was on the X1 from Peterlee, it said to Newcastle on the front and it wasn't on the Short-Notice Cancellation list, but by the time we left Houghton, it said "This is the X1 service to Washington Galleries".
On recent X39 trips I’ve noticed the somewhat innovative arrival at stop times has gone wrong/ no longer maintained

It either shows the timetabled arrival which is fairly useless, a random other service or a totally random time arrival of 1am.

I quite liked the live arrival idea and linking into the app it must be possible in terms of tracking and gps, it’s a small priority for a massively loss making business but still…be nice to have it back
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(27 Oct 2022, 10:28 pm)Ambassador wrote On recent X39 trips I’ve noticed the somewhat innovative arrival at stop times has gone wrong/ no longer maintained

It either shows the timetabled arrival which is fairly useless, a random other service or a totally random time arrival of 1am.

I quite liked the live arrival idea and linking into the app it must be possible in terms of tracking and gps, it’s a small priority for a massively loss making business but still…be nice to have it back
I've only noticed 1am & the actual time of arrival, not sure if this has anything to do with the issue of it saying it will arrive at 1am could it be a particular journey/vehicle
Yeah 1am arrival is still a regular occurrence from what I see.

Metrocentre train departures still show up on approach to Central.

Several 10s don’t have working screens and/or audio.

Several drivers regularly switch the destination to the next journey despite being 1/2/3 stops away from Eldon Square.
(28 Oct 2022, 4:27 am)ne14ne1 wrote Yeah 1am arrival is still a regular occurrence from what I see.

Metrocentre train departures still show up on approach to Central.

Several 10s don’t have working screens and/or audio.

Several drivers regularly switch the destination to the next journey despite being 1/2/3 stops away from Eldon Square.
All the 16, 15 plate & Citaros have the screens screens designed however they're never used as none of them actually have working screens or a screen in fact.
(27 Nov 2022, 4:46 pm)F114TML wrote Not sure if it's just these two buses I've been on (5423 and 5439) but are there seriously still no NSAs on the 61A?
Yes, still no NSA on 61A
(27 Nov 2022, 8:20 pm)ne14ne1 wrote Does the Q3’s NSAs work yet?
Yes they do. There is a few stops which don't as we don't currently have any NSA files for them but the rest work fine.
(02 Dec 2022, 6:00 pm)Blockybus wrote Yes they do. There is a few stops which don't as we don't currently have any NSA files for them but the rest work fine.

So that’s a no then, they’re still not fully working. Customers are still having to listen to “Next stop.” “Next stop.” “Next stop”. “Next stop.” for a good chunk of the journey.

And is it really just down to not having asked Emma to record a few files?
(02 Dec 2022, 6:28 pm)ne14ne1 wrote So that’s a no then, they’re still not fully working. Customers are still having to listen to “Next stop.” “Next stop.” “Next stop”. “Next stop.” for a good chunk of the journey.

And is it really just down to not having asked Emma to record a few files?
It's literally only a few stops. It's not a massive issue. Much bigger issues to worry about at the moment than a few stops not saying their stop name...