Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Driving Standards of late

Driving Standards of late

Driving Standards of late

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (6): Previous 1 2 3 46 Next
Dan
Site Administrator
29 Jan 2023, 5:33 am
(28 Jan 2023, 10:02 pm)Rob44 Well I saw something I thought I'd never see. A GNE 10B doing a 360 degree turn on a round about.... abvoiusly to avoid the traffic in the lane he should have used to go straight on. To top it off he slowed right down to let a fellow hus driver out who was in the right lane and almost cause a 3 car pile up behind him. Might even have it on my dash cam

A good ol’ slingshot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
29 Jan 2023, 5:33 am #41

(28 Jan 2023, 10:02 pm)Rob44 Well I saw something I thought I'd never see. A GNE 10B doing a 360 degree turn on a round about.... abvoiusly to avoid the traffic in the lane he should have used to go straight on. To top it off he slowed right down to let a fellow hus driver out who was in the right lane and almost cause a 3 car pile up behind him. Might even have it on my dash cam

A good ol’ slingshot!

29 Jan 2023, 7:11 am
Unfortunately that situation isn't unique to bus drivers. Most HGV drivers do it - especially when they see drivers from there own com.
idiot
29 Jan 2023, 7:11 am #42

Unfortunately that situation isn't unique to bus drivers. Most HGV drivers do it - especially when they see drivers from there own com.

Dan
Site Administrator
29 Jan 2023, 7:17 am
(29 Jan 2023, 7:11 am)idiot Unfortunately that situation isn't unique to bus drivers. Most HGV drivers do it - especially when they see drivers from there own com.

I see HGV drivers do the ‘slingshot’ technique every morning on the Arnold Clark roundabout, heading onto the A1.

I’m always slightly more frustrated by the big HGV wagons doing it as it can completely snarl up a roundabout, but don’t get too annoyed as I understand they’re working against a 4hrs 30m clock (and likewise bus drivers are trying to abide by a schedule).

Dan
29 Jan 2023, 7:17 am #43

(29 Jan 2023, 7:11 am)idiot Unfortunately that situation isn't unique to bus drivers. Most HGV drivers do it - especially when they see drivers from there own com.

I see HGV drivers do the ‘slingshot’ technique every morning on the Arnold Clark roundabout, heading onto the A1.

I’m always slightly more frustrated by the big HGV wagons doing it as it can completely snarl up a roundabout, but don’t get too annoyed as I understand they’re working against a 4hrs 30m clock (and likewise bus drivers are trying to abide by a schedule).

29 Jan 2023, 9:23 am
(29 Jan 2023, 7:17 am)Dan I see HGV drivers do the ‘slingshot’ technique every morning on the Arnold Clark roundabout, heading onto the A1.

As a car driver as well as a bus user, I actually do it as well to save time & fuel believe it or not!
L469 YVK
29 Jan 2023, 9:23 am #44

(29 Jan 2023, 7:17 am)Dan I see HGV drivers do the ‘slingshot’ technique every morning on the Arnold Clark roundabout, heading onto the A1.

As a car driver as well as a bus user, I actually do it as well to save time & fuel believe it or not!

29 Jan 2023, 10:29 am
It's a complete twat move if you ask me and 9/10 times cause the traffic jam in the first place.

No respect for anyone doing it and is done by arse hole drivers in general.
Storx
29 Jan 2023, 10:29 am #45

It's a complete twat move if you ask me and 9/10 times cause the traffic jam in the first place.

No respect for anyone doing it and is done by arse hole drivers in general.

29 Jan 2023, 10:54 am
Nothing wrong with a slingshot, the traffic jam is already there and doesn't cause any more delay to other road users if done correctly - ie not stopping to let people out.

I do it in my cars and buses all the time.
omnicity4659
29 Jan 2023, 10:54 am #46

Nothing wrong with a slingshot, the traffic jam is already there and doesn't cause any more delay to other road users if done correctly - ie not stopping to let people out.

29 Jan 2023, 10:57 am
The Arnord Clark roundabout heading onto the A1 is even worse now as you have to give way to people coming from the roundabout.
Unber43
29 Jan 2023, 10:57 am #47

The Arnord Clark roundabout heading onto the A1 is even worse now as you have to give way to people coming from the roundabout.

29 Jan 2023, 12:08 pm
(29 Jan 2023, 10:54 am)omnicity4659 Nothing wrong with a slingshot, the traffic jam is already there and doesn't cause any more delay to other road users if done correctly - ie not stopping to let people out.

Very wrong. You're literally causing the traffic.

.png
slingshot.png
Size: 10.87 KB / Downloads: 12

If everyone behaved then you'd have what happens in the first flow since if the main flow is heading left then it's very likely there's a similar flow in the opposite direction. Once you start slingshotting you snarl everything up and block everyone else causing the traffic jams which usually exist; Gosforth Park near the hotel is very bad for it and there never used to be traffic when they had the barrier in the middle (not sure why they removed it).
Storx
29 Jan 2023, 12:08 pm #48

(29 Jan 2023, 10:54 am)omnicity4659 Nothing wrong with a slingshot, the traffic jam is already there and doesn't cause any more delay to other road users if done correctly - ie not stopping to let people out.

Very wrong. You're literally causing the traffic.

.png
slingshot.png
Size: 10.87 KB / Downloads: 12

If everyone behaved then you'd have what happens in the first flow since if the main flow is heading left then it's very likely there's a similar flow in the opposite direction. Once you start slingshotting you snarl everything up and block everyone else causing the traffic jams which usually exist; Gosforth Park near the hotel is very bad for it and there never used to be traffic when they had the barrier in the middle (not sure why they removed it).

29 Jan 2023, 12:34 pm
I'd say when you need to slingshot the traffic levels will be busy enough that only 2 cars can enter the roundabout per gap, depending on how many lanes are used. At Gosforth Park, I'd only hold 5-6 cars for a few seconds longer than necessary, which judging by the number of people who slingshot wouldn't make much difference.

If everyone started slingshotting then there would be a problem, but 99% of drivers would happily sit in a queue. At the end of the day, I'd rather slingshot to stay on time and prevent queues forming onto the A1 roundabout than sitting like a lemon getting later and later.
omnicity4659
29 Jan 2023, 12:34 pm #49

I'd say when you need to slingshot the traffic levels will be busy enough that only 2 cars can enter the roundabout per gap, depending on how many lanes are used. At Gosforth Park, I'd only hold 5-6 cars for a few seconds longer than necessary, which judging by the number of people who slingshot wouldn't make much difference.

If everyone started slingshotting then there would be a problem, but 99% of drivers would happily sit in a queue. At the end of the day, I'd rather slingshot to stay on time and prevent queues forming onto the A1 roundabout than sitting like a lemon getting later and later.

29 Jan 2023, 1:04 pm
(29 Jan 2023, 12:34 pm)omnicity4659 I'd say when you need to slingshot the traffic levels will be busy enough that only 2 cars can enter the roundabout per gap, depending on how many lanes are used. At Gosforth Park, I'd only hold 5-6 cars for a few seconds longer than necessary, which judging by the number of people who slingshot wouldn't make much difference.

The problem at Gosforth Park, in particular, is when you start slingshotting, your blocking the traffic heading towards the A1, since very very few cars turn right there so they'd have a free flow. If they're all turning right which a lot do, then they'd block the other direction so people turning left would get out aswell so there'd be no traffic from those 2 directions.

I'd be tempted to make the route from the Great North Road towards Wideopen buses only and force all the traffic to come from the A1 direction. You'd pretty much get arid of the traffic there and speed it up for everyone since there'd be no real conflicting flows bar people coming out of Gosforth Park and the odd bus. It's a nightmare to get out from the Great North Road anyway.
Storx
29 Jan 2023, 1:04 pm #50

(29 Jan 2023, 12:34 pm)omnicity4659 I'd say when you need to slingshot the traffic levels will be busy enough that only 2 cars can enter the roundabout per gap, depending on how many lanes are used. At Gosforth Park, I'd only hold 5-6 cars for a few seconds longer than necessary, which judging by the number of people who slingshot wouldn't make much difference.

The problem at Gosforth Park, in particular, is when you start slingshotting, your blocking the traffic heading towards the A1, since very very few cars turn right there so they'd have a free flow. If they're all turning right which a lot do, then they'd block the other direction so people turning left would get out aswell so there'd be no traffic from those 2 directions.

I'd be tempted to make the route from the Great North Road towards Wideopen buses only and force all the traffic to come from the A1 direction. You'd pretty much get arid of the traffic there and speed it up for everyone since there'd be no real conflicting flows bar people coming out of Gosforth Park and the odd bus. It's a nightmare to get out from the Great North Road anyway.

30 Jan 2023, 9:14 am
Everyone who "sling shots" I hope you get spotted by the coppers and get a dine and 3 points.
Rob44
30 Jan 2023, 9:14 am #51

Everyone who "sling shots" I hope you get spotted by the coppers and get a dine and 3 points.

30 Jan 2023, 9:30 am
(30 Jan 2023, 9:14 am)Rob44 Everyone who "sling shots" I hope you get spotted by the coppers and get a dine and 3 points.

3 points for what? The Police don't issue penalty points because you've hurt another motorist's feelings.

Until it becomes illegal, I'd say the most they could try with is careless driving, but even then it'd be a nightmare to prove it was intentional.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
30 Jan 2023, 9:30 am #52

(30 Jan 2023, 9:14 am)Rob44 Everyone who "sling shots" I hope you get spotted by the coppers and get a dine and 3 points.

3 points for what? The Police don't issue penalty points because you've hurt another motorist's feelings.

Until it becomes illegal, I'd say the most they could try with is careless driving, but even then it'd be a nightmare to prove it was intentional.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

30 Jan 2023, 9:47 am

I think the issue is whether or not they're being inconsiderate to other road users or blocking traffic flow. 

If they are, then I have an issue with it. 

However if they're not - then I have no issue at all.

Many a time I've done it myself, but I've always planned ahead and ensured that the road is and will be clear. 
I've seen others do this too. 

Many a time I've seen it and the person carrying out the manoeuvre has blocked the road (and it was pretty obvious it was going to happen prior to them getting in that position) or had no regard for other users.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
30 Jan 2023, 9:47 am #53

I think the issue is whether or not they're being inconsiderate to other road users or blocking traffic flow. 

If they are, then I have an issue with it. 

However if they're not - then I have no issue at all.

Many a time I've done it myself, but I've always planned ahead and ensured that the road is and will be clear. 
I've seen others do this too. 

Many a time I've seen it and the person carrying out the manoeuvre has blocked the road (and it was pretty obvious it was going to happen prior to them getting in that position) or had no regard for other users.

30 Jan 2023, 11:56 am
There should be a zero policy on ‘sling shotting ’ and any professional driver should have their employment immediately terminated
Bazza
30 Jan 2023, 11:56 am #54

There should be a zero policy on ‘sling shotting ’ and any professional driver should have their employment immediately terminated

30 Jan 2023, 5:23 pm
(30 Jan 2023, 11:56 am)Bazza There should be a zero policy on ‘sling shotting ’ and any professional driver should have their employment immediately terminated
no
Unber43
30 Jan 2023, 5:23 pm #55

(30 Jan 2023, 11:56 am)Bazza There should be a zero policy on ‘sling shotting ’ and any professional driver should have their employment immediately terminated
no

30 Jan 2023, 8:04 pm
The police do it themselves.

If it irritates someone so much that someone has negotiated the roundabout quicker than them by slingshotting... why not do the same?

Merge-in-turns are the worst for irritating people though. I imagine the do-gooders on here don't use the whole of the closing lane before merging either.
omnicity4659
30 Jan 2023, 8:04 pm #56

The police do it themselves.

If it irritates someone so much that someone has negotiated the roundabout quicker than them by slingshotting... why not do the same?

Merge-in-turns are the worst for irritating people though. I imagine the do-gooders on here don't use the whole of the closing lane before merging either.

30 Jan 2023, 8:21 pm
(30 Jan 2023, 8:04 pm)omnicity4659 The police do it themselves.

Merge in turn/zip method.
Does my head in when some knacker decides to block the entire two lanes.

Two lanes of traffic for 1 mile?
Or one lane of traffic for 2 miles?

Andreos1
30 Jan 2023, 8:21 pm #57

(30 Jan 2023, 8:04 pm)omnicity4659 The police do it themselves.

Merge in turn/zip method.

30 Jan 2023, 10:05 pm
A dine? Sounds tasty.  Tongue

[Image: imageHandler.php?user=wibblejunior]
wibblejunior
30 Jan 2023, 10:05 pm #58

A dine? Sounds tasty.  Tongue

[Image: imageHandler.php?user=wibblejunior]

30 Jan 2023, 10:35 pm
Why? It's a perfectly legal, and in some cases, necessary, maneuver.
F114TML
30 Jan 2023, 10:35 pm #59

Why? It's a perfectly legal, and in some cases, necessary, maneuver.

31 Jan 2023, 12:26 am
(30 Jan 2023, 8:21 pm)Andreos1 Merge in turn/zip method.

One of my pet hates. 

(30 Jan 2023, 10:35 pm)F114TML Why? It's a perfectly legal, and in some cases, necessary, maneuver.

Do I really need to explain this?
Bazza
31 Jan 2023, 12:26 am #60

(30 Jan 2023, 8:21 pm)Andreos1 Merge in turn/zip method.

One of my pet hates. 

(30 Jan 2023, 10:35 pm)F114TML Why? It's a perfectly legal, and in some cases, necessary, maneuver.

Do I really need to explain this?

Pages (6): Previous 1 2 3 46 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average