You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East September 2023 changes

RE: Go North East September 2023 changes
(06 Aug 2023, 12:59 pm)Dan wrote Out of interest, makes you think the 37 and 38 are more desirable to customers than the 352 and 355?

It can’t be frequency, as both operators are providing services every half an hour (albeit GNE’s being co-ordinated with other services).

I have asked on a number of occasions now as this seems to have been said multiple times, and nobody has been able to give me an answer. As far as I can see, Stagecoach’s offering is less desirable during the day (does not serve Haymarket, replacement for the 55 taking a longer route via Freeman Hospital instead of being a direct bus into town, lengthy layover in Forest Hall) - the only real advantage is that they are providing an evening service (funded by Nexus).
(1) Everyone states reasons for this but I ask everyone on this forum what does desirable mean?... I guarantee everyone will have their own views and opinions, however if I be devils advocate here and look at the dictionary it states that 'wished for as being an attractive, useful, or necessary course of action.' If I break this down has anyone been asked in any form what service they require or even want from any of the operators or even Nexus? (besides Transport NE annual survey which only hits a certain demographic).Secondly, is it useful? SNE I'd definitely say yes due to the Freeman Hsopital and Cross-City links. GNE i'd also say yes due to the unique links North to Cramlington and South to North Shields, even-though the links pre-existed the North Tyne Rockets.

(2) I think it's great both operators are stepping in with replacements, however the public had no say in where these routes are going. This was based of the premise of 5 "failing" (or failed) Arriva services 51-55. Both offerings are a nice change for the residents of Forest Hall, SNE as they have changed from the 38 - 18 - 6/7/8 - No replacement - 38 in Forest Hall (besides the 63) and GNE 81 - 17 - 42 - No replacement - 353/355. I may have gotten the services wrong but my point is since pre-covid Forest Hall/Benton has had a declining bus provision, of which both offerings combat positively.

(06 Aug 2023, 3:00 pm)Dan wrote Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Of course, in the main, all subjective.

In response, I’d say:
  • Stagecoach’s day ticket is more expensive than Go North East’s Newcastle and North Tyne ticket - so it depends how you measure value.
  • Stagecoach have made no effort (yet) to market their new services. Go North East was the first to register their new network, the first to comment in the local media, and the first to announce on their own channels. Stagecoach might have better brand recognition, but nobody knows their new network is going to exist (starting in just four weeks’ time).
  • Passengers are currently travelling to and from Haymarket. It might be because that is their only option, or it might be because that’s where they want to go.
  • Customers are more likely to be familiar with a 3xx number which relates to the current service 51-55, than a completely new 37 going to ‘Whickham View’ (where is that, for anyone living in Cramlington?)
  • The contract for the 54 may change hands in future.
(1) I do commend GNE for having a presence on Social Media and the press, albeit positively and negatively.

(2) That comment has no ground in my opinion as it doesn't matter what a bus says but where it goes (including the duration and frequency)

(06 Aug 2023, 3:14 pm)Dan wrote Nobody is criticising, Michael.

It is admirable both operators have stepped in to replace the services Arriva is withdrawing, and a great example of partnership working with local authorities. I am just interested to hear opinions on why those on this forum and elsewhere think one option is more sustainable than the other, as a lot of people have been very quick to suggest Go North East’s new network will be withdrawn in just six months.

It will be interesting what Stagecoach do to announce their new services - let’s hope it doesn’t come in the same story where they announce frequency reductions on some of their other services in Newcastle from the same date (that would be a bit of a PR own-goal!)
(1) That's the exact reason I give some people the time of day on here is because it is mostly quite interesting as we all share the same interest in public transport yet have a huge variety of demographics.

(2) I couldn't agree with you more...I don't think the North Tyne Rockets will be withdrawn anytime soon, I just think they won't last in this form. However I hope they do. I welcome a positive change for the bus industry however there needs to be some space for improvement including change of culture instead of doing nothing and cost cutting.
Seems like the 56 has had an increase in PVR, aswell Im surprised the 60 wasn't increased at deptford considering they are managing quite well

X1 needs an extra PVR and a frequency introduction. I dont see why one doesn't turn off at Houghton and do the 71 route to Seaham, keeping the main core route at every 12 mins

or for the X1 atleast Low Moorsley
X1 change is a good move giving South Hetton a bus to Hetton/Houghton and beyond every 15 minutes. A few oddities that the last bus which extends to Peterlee is later on a Sunday than a Saturday, surely later on a Saturday would have been better. 47 again is a good change with a few extra journeys to/from Consett.

Interesting that the 33 is part of BSIP funding. I’m not huge fan of public money propping up bus services, but we are where we are - it’s shame nothings been done to restore the 202/62 in full without the round the world trip in Murton. I know loosing links to Seaham and Spectrum from South Hetton/Easington was raised by some when it first changed.
(09 Aug 2023, 5:11 pm)Drifter60 wrote X1 change is a good move giving South Hetton a bus to Hetton/Houghton and beyond every 15 minutes. A few oddities that the last bus which extends to Peterlee is later on a Sunday than a Saturday, surely later on a Saturday would have been better. 47 again is a good change with a few extra journeys to/from Consett.

Interesting that the 33 is part of BSIP funding. I’m not huge fan of public money propping up bus services, but we are where we are - it’s shame nothings been done to restore the 202/62 in full without the round the world trip in Murton. I know loosing links to Seaham and Spectrum from South Hetton/Easington was raised by some when it first changed.

Quite, especially when the increase in service is going back to a lower frequency then was just a few years ago when the 36 was included in the 10 minute frequency to Silksworth from GNE. Not to mention Stagecoach completely pulling their 12 service.
(08 Aug 2023, 6:59 pm)Michael wrote Probs a week before..

R2 changes was released on the day it started.

Go North East normally give plenty of notice on service changes - short notice such as the R2 is very rare.

(09 Aug 2023, 5:05 pm)Unber43 wrote Seems like the 56 has had an increase in PVR, aswell Im surprised the 60 wasn't increased at deptford considering they are managing quite well

X1 needs an extra PVR and a frequency introduction. I dont see why one doesn't turn off at Houghton and do the 71 route to Seaham, keeping the main core route at every 12 mins

or for the X1 atleast Low Moorsley

Looking at the X1 timetable many journeys have been given extra running time, and it appears that an extra PVR is being used just to maintain the 15-minute frequency. Whereas today the Peterlee journeys work themselves in the middle of the day, from 3rd September they do a round trip to Peterlee followed by a round trip to South Hetton. 

A 12-minute frequency is no doubt something that GNE aspire to, but that would need at least 2 extra buses/4 extra drivers. 
A 12-minute frequency isn't easy to split to different destinations of course, meaning that journeys to alternate destinations would be at 24/36 or 12/48-minute intervals.

(09 Aug 2023, 5:11 pm)Drifter60 wrote X1 change is a good move giving South Hetton a bus to Hetton/Houghton and beyond every 15 minutes. A few oddities that the last bus which extends to Peterlee is later on a Sunday than a Saturday, surely later on a Saturday would have been better. 47 again is a good change with a few extra journeys to/from Consett.

Durham County Council have some BSIP money, so they could choose to restore the 202/62 if they wished to put it out to tender.

Interesting that the 33 is part of BSIP funding. I’m not huge fan of public money propping up bus services, but we are where we are - it’s shame nothings been done to restore the 202/62 in full without the round the world trip in Murton. I know losing links to Seaham and Spectrum from South Hetton/Easington was raised by some when it first changed.

It reads as though the only part of the 33 that is funded through the BSIP is the City Centre to the Docks section, replacing the 38, which is increased from hourly to half hourly.
This started today, ends 6th October 2023

PB0003954/1405
New GO NORTH EAST LIMITED 29S (29S) Kibblesworth Team Valley
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(10 Aug 2023, 7:04 pm)Michael wrote This started today, ends 6th October 2023

PB0003954/1405
New GO NORTH EAST LIMITED 29S (29S) Kibblesworth Team Valley

Road closure shuttle bus
(10 Aug 2023, 8:00 pm)Dan wrote https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/service-up...2023-08-14&date%5Btime%5D=20%3A59&check=

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if the big 29 will wait for the little 29 to appear or they are expecting people to wait  at sainsbuys for "x" amount of time with not even a seat to sit on!.  Maybe whoever is closing the road should stump up the cast to DCC or GNE to add an extra bus to the PVR so the people of kibbles worth arnt having to put up with Sh*t again!!!  Its also worth noting in a reply from GNE to a customer the shuttle bus only goes to theturning curle in Kibblesworth and will not be picking up or dropping off at any of the other SIX stops in either direction.  Nice walk to the ravensworth if your going by bus!
Site Administrator
(11 Aug 2023, 9:22 am)Rob44 wrote I wonder if the big 29 will wait for the little 29 to appear or they are expecting people to wait  at sainsbuys for "x" amount of time with not even a seat to sit on!.  Maybe whoever is closing the road should stump up the cast to DCC or GNE to add an extra bus to the PVR so the people of kibbles worth arnt having to put up with Sh*t again!!!  Its also worth noting in a reply from GNE to a customer the shuttle bus only goes to theturning curle in Kibblesworth and will not be picking up or dropping off at any of the other SIX stops in either direction.  Nice walk to the ravensworth if your going by bus!

The shuttle bus serves all stops between Kibblesworth and Team Valley. You can see the stops on the timetable below:

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/services/G...2023-08-14&direction=outbound&all=on

Questions which will probably be slates but who cares

Why is the 1 only serving the Hub towards Whitley Bay only. It could easily go down to the hub. Swing round and come back up the same street (like it is currently doing when it goes to Whitley Bay from the changes)
Site Administrator
(11 Aug 2023, 8:14 pm)Busu284 wrote Questions which will probably be slates but who cares

Why is the 1 only serving the Hub towards Whitley Bay only. It could easily go down to the hub. Swing round and come back up the same street (like it is currently doing when it goes to Whitley Bay from the changes)

It would need an extra bus added to the PVR - it hasn’t got time to serve it on the current 20-minute frequency.

(11 Aug 2023, 8:17 pm)Dan wrote It would need an extra bus added to the PVR - it hasn’t got time to serve it on the current 20-minute frequency.

wouldnt that PVR be very valuable with extended layovers which would increase the reliability for commuters?
Site Administrator
(11 Aug 2023, 11:31 pm)Unber43 wrote wouldnt that PVR be very valuable with extended layovers which would increase the reliability for commuters?

Adding c.£200k of cost and requiring an extra three drivers to run the service, at a time when the company is already taking on an extra 14 PVR worth of work in North Tyneside?

I think the short answer is no!

If the service were to be increased in frequency, it would naturally have more layover… And perhaps GNE could generate additional patronage to pay for the increase in costs.

(12 Aug 2023, 4:06 am)Dan wrote Adding c.£200k of cost and requiring an extra three drivers to run the service, at a time when the company is already taking on an extra 14 PVR worth of work in North Tyneside?

I think the short answer is no!

If the service were to be increased in frequency, it would naturally have more layover… And perhaps GNE could generate additional patronage to pay for the increase in costs.

But it's just as simple as adding one more bus!

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk
(11 Aug 2023, 8:14 pm)Busu284 wrote Questions which will probably be slates but who cares

According to the GNE website, buses towards Whitley Bay will continue to travel east along Savile Street, then turn up Stephenson Street, as they do now. 
On another matter, it appears that buses will be travelling in both directions along Nile Street to and from the hub. Nile Street is currently one-way, southbound only. I haven't seen anything from NT council about making it two-way. Can anyone enlighten me??
(12 Aug 2023, 10:28 am)Iamtheone8483748 wrote It appears they have started to be rebranded, interesting to see that the website link has returned. Is this going to be returning to all buses or just this specific brand?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/27974644@N07/53111061513/

They've made a really good job at that, given it's been done at reduced cost.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Good to see the operator logo towards the front of the vehicle:
https://flic.kr/p/2oVgeYS

Have any of the latest ex-GAL B9s arrived since the new GNE logo was introduced? If not I guess the last few yet to arrive will get the new logo.
(12 Aug 2023, 7:30 am)Ex-conductor wrote According to the GNE website, buses towards Whitley Bay will continue to travel east along Savile Street, then turn up Stephenson Street, as they do now. 
On another matter, it appears that buses will be travelling in both directions along Nile Street to and from the hub. Nile Street is currently one-way, southbound only. I haven't seen anything from NT council about making it two-way. Can anyone enlighten me??

Nile Street is apparently going to be two way “buses only” between the Hub and West Percy Street, controlled by traffic lights.
PB0003954/1391
Cancellation GO NORTH EAST LIMITED 785 (785) Hexham Haltwhistle
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
6117 is currently on route learning for North Tyne Rockets, seen this morning while route learning 352 service at Benton Lane. I had expected, seeing as 5444 has been branded that it would have been used for the free advertising of the network while operating the route learning duties. But the choice between a Streetlite and B9TL, I don't blame them Tongue.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/rpbsp/M63F7q1LkG
Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/rpbsp/

12 Years on Flickr 2011-2023 - With over 42 million all-time hits!