You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East September 2023 changes

RE: Go North East September 2023 changes
(03 Sep 2023, 9:17 pm)Shrek wrote What do the people of Forest Hall have against Go North East? Today was the second time I've been in the area and overheard people moaning about GNE taking over the 55. Were GNE services unreliable there in the past? I used to use the 42A a lot which seemed fine.

As someone who grew up in Forest Hall, alot of them are stuck in the past, they miss the days of the 319 and 323, theyve never really been happy since, and with the chopping and changing, alot have them have lost faith in GNE, but i dont think theyre entirely happy with the 355 since it no longer serves F.L.E and takes a detour through Longbenton, and coupled to the fact it doesnt run Sundays, but this is all my pov
Kind Regards
Tez
I see the new North Tyneside services have resulted in journeys on the 1 and 309 being cancelled - including the last service from Metrocentre. Disgraceful. They shouldn't have took on all of the services if they don't have capacity.

I don't think any of the services from Percy Main have been cancelled in the past, so if they ruin reliable services then that will be extremely annoying.
(04 Sep 2023, 10:32 am)Thomas12 wrote I see the new North Tyneside services have resulted in journeys on the 1 and 309 being cancelled - including the last service from Metrocentre. Disgraceful. They shouldn't have took on all of the services if they don't have capacity.

I don't think any of the services from Percy Main have been cancelled in the past, so if they ruin reliable services then that will be extremely annoying.

Yeah they stuck out like a sore thumb, it's so rare to see Percy Main cancellations. 

It's putting 2+2 together but it seems the logical root cause
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(04 Sep 2023, 10:32 am)Thomas12 wrote I see the new North Tyneside services have resulted in journeys on the 1 and 309 being cancelled - including the last service from Metrocentre. Disgraceful. They shouldn't have took on all of the services if they don't have capacity.

The first 354 from Newcastle failed to operate this morning so that was a good start for it, as well as buses allocated without correct destinations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 15:30 354 from Newcastle didn’t either, I couldn’t get the app to work so rang GNE to ask if it was running and they said no but there is another one in an hour!

(04 Sep 2023, 3:01 pm)pbjd wrote The first 354 from Newcastle failed to operate this morning so that was a good start for it, as well as buses allocated without correct destinations.

The first 354 did operate, it was just late (departed Haymarket around 6:40). It was an Omnidekka so presume there might have been a breakdown before leaving the depot or something.

(04 Sep 2023, 3:06 pm)j986986 wrote The 15:30 354 from Newcastle didn’t either, I couldn’t get the app to work so rang GNE to ask if it was running and they said no but there is another one in an hour!

The bus that was supposed to operate the 15:30 broke down at Quorum on the 352.
(04 Sep 2023, 3:12 pm)Thomas12 wrote The first 354 did operate, it was just late (departed Haymarket around 6:40). It was an Omnidekka so presume there might have been a breakdown before leaving the depot or something.

If it was 6176, then it appears that’s broken down yet again causing the 1530 not to run, no mention of it not running on the website which is very helpful for intending punters.

The real test is tomorrow as imo the 352, 354 and 355 timetables in the S. Gosforth area are unrealistic and they no longer have the regulation in Haymarket to fall back on like the Arriva services used to do.

I have a feeling there's going to be some serious delays especially with the 355.
With the 33/39 interowrking is it time to get rid of Silver Branded, another S&D branding gone, two left.

Also it appears the 939 operaterates with a decker for the first run, but the Mercedes Sprinter runs the second one, really shows what the demand is doesn't it.

Wonder if the 939 could be extended to newcastle might make it a bit more popular tbh

(04 Sep 2023, 3:38 pm)Storx wrote The real test is tomorrow as imo the 352, 354 and 355 timetables in the S. Gosforth area are unrealistic and they no longer have the regulation in Haymarket to fall back on like the Arriva services used to do.

I have a feeling there's going to be some serious delays especially with the 355.

Just looking at the first one I clicked on 5448 suffered delays upto 20 mins throughout the day, others have been between 5-20 mins not really the best start tbh

I do think the timetables are quite tight, does anyone know where they change over?
Yeah, first impressions are definitely that they are going to be very unreliable.

Site Administrator
Has anyone actually travelled on these in service today?

The 355 is incredibly slack with drivers not needing to exceed 20mph and still needing to wait their time at intermediate stops.

Lots of customers taking additional time to board and alight as they ask questions of the driver about the new services. To be expected.

Tomorrow won’t be a real test at all - you will see the absolute worst case scenario which will only improve.

(04 Sep 2023, 4:24 pm)Dan wrote Has anyone actually travelled on these in service today?

The 355 is incredibly slack with drivers not needing to exceed 20mph and still needing to wait their time at intermediate stops.

Lots of customers taking additional time to board and alight as they ask questions of the driver about the new services. To be expected.

Tomorrow won’t be a real test at all - you will see the absolute worst case scenario which will only improve.

Yes actually I did travel on them today. The 354 to Newcastle was 15 minutes late and was cancelled on the return journey.

(04 Sep 2023, 4:24 pm)Dan wrote Has anyone actually travelled on these in service today?

I've used bus services along Matthew Bank for 20 year and I know 12 minutes isn't long enough to get from Newcastle to South Gosforth in the evening peak... The 354 is the same. 

Heck I use the Metro now most the time because of the state of it along there. It's the exact same timings as the X7 (which doesn't stop) along there and it's regularly 15 minutes late by the time it's at South Gosforth especially on Tuesday - Thursday, admit there's also Gosforth Park to deal with which the 352/353 have potential be affected by aswell if everyone's rat running via West Moor.

Looking at Bustimes, caveats and all that it appears the 352 and 354 were both nearly 10 mins down tonight and the traffic isn't even bad.

Edit: the X7 actually has more time now (15 minutes) must have been park of the changes yesterday.
I notice there were quite a few delays on the Coast Road services today, ANEs 308 in the PM peak seemed particularly horrific but some GNE buses seemed to be heavily impacted too (6116 for example). If drivers have duties where they do 307/309s followed by a NTR stint, that could explain some of the reported late running on those services?
(04 Sep 2023, 6:09 pm)mb134 wrote I notice there were quite a few delays on the Coast Road services today, ANEs 308 in the PM peak seemed particularly horrific but some GNE buses seemed to be heavily impacted too (6116 for example). If drivers have duties where they do 307/309s followed by a NTR stint, that could explain some of the reported late running on those services?

There's been some cancellations at Blyth all over the place today and the 306/308 was affected, doesn't help the X7/X8 usual delays were back. The X7-X11/306/308 have been all over the place today.

According to Bustimes, usual caveats, there wasn't a 308 from 16:05 to 17:30 towards Blyth, the 16:25 being pulled off and onto the 47. Seems like they prioritised getting all the X7-X11 boards running at peak time.

No doubt that would have an impact on the 309 being slammed aswell.

I travelled on a 351 into Newcastle and it was on time, later in the day I was in Killingworth and some were running about 5 minutes late.
(04 Sep 2023, 6:16 pm)Storx wrote There's been some cancellations at Blyth all over the place today and the 306/308 was affected, doesn't help the X7/X8 usual delays were back. The X7-X11/306/308 have been all over the place today.

According to Bustimes, usual caveats, there wasn't a 308 from 16:05 to 17:30 towards Blyth, the 16:25 being pulled off and onto the 47. Seems like they prioritised getting all the X7-X11 boards running at peak time.

The X10&11 all seem to have ran in fairness, so does the X9? All three seem to have had minimal delays. X7/X8 seem to have lost a run or two but delays don't seem too bad (max of around 15 mins) from the quick look I had?

The 16:05 308 actually ran 40 minutes late at 16:45. Think that and 7612 (which should have been the 16:25) were in Haymarket at the same time, so I imagine it made sense to use one of those to replace what appears to be a failed Pulsar on the 47 at the same time?

Either way, it seems like it was something to do with the Coast Road which caused them the most problems given they were the only services with huge delays, and that some 307/309s were also impacted.
(04 Sep 2023, 6:41 pm)mb134 wrote The X10&11 all seem to have ran in fairness, so does the X9? All three seem to have had minimal delays. X7/X8 seem to have lost a run or two but delays don't seem too bad (max of around 15 mins) from the quick look I had?

The 16:05 308 actually ran 40 minutes late at 16:45. Think that and 7612 (which should have been the 16:25) were in Haymarket at the same time, so I imagine it made sense to use one of those to replace what appears to be a failed Pulsar on the 47 at the same time?

Either way, it seems like it was something to do with the Coast Road which caused them the most problems given they were the only services with huge delays, and that some 307/309s were also impacted.

Been two missing boards on the X7/X8/X9 during the day but they found two extra buses at peak time. Seems that they came off the 308 though and one off the 43. Guessing they found the buses by the time it got to the X9.

Not sure nothing happened on the Coast Road though as far as I'm aware just the usual traffic. 

There was a lot of swapping buses around at Blyth today to regulate stuff tho mind. Mind there does seem to be new drivers about today maybe they put them all on the 306/308? Noticed one of the 57's today done the 57A route as far as Annitsford before turning around.
(04 Sep 2023, 6:09 pm)mb134 wrote I notice there were quite a few delays on the Coast Road services today, ANEs 308 in the PM peak seemed particularly horrific but some GNE buses seemed to be heavily impacted too (6116 for example). If drivers have duties where they do 307/309s followed by a NTR stint, that could explain some of the reported late running on those services?

Heavy traffic between CBX, Middle engine lane (by the Stephenson railway museum) & Silverlink roundabout affected the Cobalt & Coasts badly, it took ages to get through as it was practically gridlocked
These elderly ladies had waited for a 307 for almost an hour, 3 buses ended up bunched up
Kind Regards
Tez
(04 Sep 2023, 7:06 pm)V514DFT wrote These elderly ladies had waited for a 307 for almost an hour, 3 buses ended up bunched up

Would have been stuck at middle engine lane as traffic was practically gridlocked
The X39 is incredibly frustrating since the changes and they took a bus out.

It’ll sit there at Village Hotel and not leave until about 5 minutes after it’s due then the drivers will whinge at how long it takes what is always a very well loaded route to leave, like some sort of inconvenient shock to them that they have to collect passengers.

Have Riverside been training Percy Main on customer service? (-:
(04 Sep 2023, 5:15 pm)Storx wrote I've used bus services along Matthew Bank for 20 year and I know 12 minutes isn't long enough to get from Newcastle to South Gosforth in the evening peak... The 354 is the same. 

Heck I use the Metro now most the time because of the state of it along there. It's the exact same timings as the X7 (which doesn't stop) along there and it's regularly 15 minutes late by the time it's at South Gosforth especially on Tuesday - Thursday, admit there's also Gosforth Park to deal with which the 352/353 have potential be affected by aswell if everyone's rat running via West Moor.

Looking at Bustimes, caveats and all that it appears the 352 and 354 were both nearly 10 mins down tonight and the traffic isn't even bad.

Edit: the X7 actually has more time now (15 minutes) must have been park of the changes yesterday.

The 355 I was on took 6 minutes from Matthews Bank to Barras Bridge today. That was about 16:00. So, it's doable. The one in the other direction took 8!

I think when things get cooking tomorrow,it will be a bit of a disaster. But it was a decent day on trips I was on...
(04 Sep 2023, 9:24 pm)DeltaMan wrote The 355 I was on took 6 minutes from Matthews Bank to Barras Bridge today. That was about 16:00. So, it's doable. The one in the other direction took 8!

I think when things get cooking tomorrow,it will be a bit of a disaster. But it was a decent day on trips I was on...

Aye seemed to run alright, but the traffic didn't seem too bad around there. Tomorrow will be different though as all the schools are back, usually manic this week for some reason regardless and I never know why. It's almost as if people forget how to drive after the school holidays.

It's usually around 5pm, I always had problems. I just refuse to use it now and always Metro / Bus home at that time if I need to or vice versa, just a complete chore of a route. The mess around Gosforth Park is just untolerable but South Gosforth coming out of Newcastle is worse than ever aswell, got better things to do than sitting on a bus for 50 minutes to do 9 miles.
Go North East might have pulled a masterstroke by sending the 355 via Longbenton, as whilst I headed to my appointment at St Oswalds in Gosforth, I drove along Benton Park Road and noted there was signs warning the commencement of roadworks for a period of time to work on the gas network. Sure it was long term, I'm at St Oswalds tomorrow (Tuesday) morning so I have a look as I get stuck in traffic.
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
(04 Sep 2023, 10:06 pm)Rapidsnap wrote Go North East might have pulled a masterstroke by sending the 355 via Longbenton, as whilst I headed to my appointment at St Oswalds in Gosforth, I drove along Benton Park Road and noted there was signs warning the commencement of roadworks for a period of time to work on the gas network. Sure it was long term, I'm at St Oswalds tomorrow (Tuesday) morning so I have a look as I get stuck in traffic.

They’re emergency works, due to finish by 8th September, started in phases since July
(04 Sep 2023, 9:34 pm)Storx wrote Aye seemed to run alright, but the traffic didn't seem too bad around there. Tomorrow will be different though as all the schools are back, usually manic this week for some reason regardless and I never know why. It's almost as if people forget how to drive after the school holidays.

It's usually around 5pm, I always had problems. I just refuse to use it now and always Metro / Bus home at that time if I need to or vice versa, just a complete chore of a route. The mess around Gosforth Park is just untolerable but South Gosforth coming out of Newcastle is worse than ever aswell, got better things to do than sitting on a bus for 50 minutes to do 9 miles.

It is astonishing that the "improvements" at Haddricks Mill are basically what was before but somehow make it even worse. It seems like traffic can't use the left hand lane at the top of Osbourne road junction for continuing ahead which has made it awful just like the the last time they tried it a few years ago.
(05 Sep 2023, 12:05 am)solsburian wrote It is astonishing that the "improvements" at Haddricks Mill are basically what was before but somehow make it even worse. It seems like traffic can't use the left hand lane at the top of Osbourne road junction for continuing ahead which has made it awful just like the the last time they tried it a few years ago.

Yeah totally agreed mind I think the bigger problem is they made it easier for traffic to get out from the Killingworth direction so means there's a constant traffic flow across the roundabout so you can't get out. 

Add that to the fact that no-one turns right from Gosforth and it's a recipe for disaster. How no-one found that in models is a mystery mind as it's pretty basic stuff. 

It's similar for the Freeman junction aswell. Probably doesn't help they shut the Freeman rat run either.
(04 Sep 2023, 3:12 pm)Thomas12 wrote The first 354 did operate, it was just late (departed Haymarket around 6:40). It was an Omnidekka so presume there might have been a breakdown before leaving the depot or something.

If tracking on BusTimes is to be believed (pinch of salt etc), 6176 ran into Newcastle as the 05:38 307 from North Shields, tracking for the 354 journey at least didn't kick in until Killingworth. The same 307/354 journeys appeared to run into issues this morning, 5445 came to a standstill at Devonshire Gardens stop (arrived at 06:15 and was still there at 06:55), 5480 seemingly sent to the rescue for driver of 5445 with the 06:30 354 starring somewhat around Shiremoor.

5449 was late running for much of the morning/afternoon until it got to the 12:15 351 off Newcastle by which point it was 30+ minutes late which resulted in the 13:22 359 departure off North Shields being cancelled along with the 13:59 335 to Hadrian Park being started from Benton Asda.
(05 Sep 2023, 11:38 am)Jimmi wrote If tracking on BusTimes is to be believed (pinch of salt etc), 6176 ran into Newcastle as the 05:38 307 from North Shields, tracking for the 354 journey at least didn't kick in until Killingworth. The same 307/354 journeys appeared to run into issues this morning, 5445 came to a standstill at Devonshire Gardens stop (arrived at 06:15 and was still there at 06:55), 5480 seemingly sent to the rescue for driver of 5445 with the 06:30 354 starring somewhat around Shiremoor.

5449 was late running for much of the morning/afternoon until it got to the 12:15 351 off Newcastle by which point it was 30+ minutes late which resulted in the 13:22 359 departure off North Shields being cancelled along with the 13:59 335 to Hadrian Park being started from Benton Asda.

The first 354 out of Newcastle did operate but seemed to track as the wrong board for part of the journey https://bustimes.org/vehicles/gnel-6176?.../472714610