Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure You are in charge!

You are in charge!

You are in charge!

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Pages (2) 1 2 Next
Bazza

14 Sep 2023, 12:31 am #1
You are the person solely in charge of franchising in the region.  You love to micro manage.  

What one or two things would you prioritise?

Try not to repeat what’s already been suggested !

I’ll start with:

1: renumber all the routes ensuring there are no duplicates. 

2: standardise liveries getting rid of route branding (perhaps a nice yellow for Tyne & Wear and a red for the rest of the region!)

Yes I know I’m just reverting back to the pre deregulation era!
Bazza
14 Sep 2023, 12:31 am #1

You are the person solely in charge of franchising in the region.  You love to micro manage.  

I’ll start with:

2: standardise liveries getting rid of route branding (perhaps a nice yellow for Tyne & Wear and a red for the rest of the region!)

14 Sep 2023, 5:20 am #2
(14 Sep 2023, 12:31 am)Bazza You are the person solely in charge of franchising in the region.  You love to micro manage.  

I’ll start with:

Would do those two with more rural services and more non newcastle conections (Like the 6, 7, 18). Bring back the better buses north tyneside had pre 2010!
NEbushopper
14 Sep 2023, 5:20 am #2

(14 Sep 2023, 12:31 am)Bazza You are the person solely in charge of franchising in the region.  You love to micro manage.  

I’ll start with:

Would do those two with more rural services and more non newcastle conections (Like the 6, 7, 18). Bring back the better buses north tyneside had pre 2010!

14 Sep 2023, 7:13 am #3
Expand the X-Lines brand to cover all express buses in the North East (despite my preference for route brands, I do think the Xlines brand is good) and make some of the express routes actually express.

X21 for instance, bin off most of the stops between CLS and Durham.
I'd also make it pick up only at Gateshead and Low Fell to stop those lazy buggers that use it from Newcastle, taking seats from people who need to use the X21 to get further afield.

Actually, on a similar note, I'd probably introduce a priority system for people on long distance routes, so people travelling further get priority over those using it for a short hop.
streetdeckfan
14 Sep 2023, 7:13 am #3

Expand the X-Lines brand to cover all express buses in the North East (despite my preference for route brands, I do think the Xlines brand is good) and make some of the express routes actually express.

X21 for instance, bin off most of the stops between CLS and Durham.
I'd also make it pick up only at Gateshead and Low Fell to stop those lazy buggers that use it from Newcastle, taking seats from people who need to use the X21 to get further afield.

Actually, on a similar note, I'd probably introduce a priority system for people on long distance routes, so people travelling further get priority over those using it for a short hop.

Storx

14 Sep 2023, 7:29 am #4
Go and talk to people and find out where people really want to go and build a brand new network from scratch. The current network is just a botch of the same network since deregulation yet things like most the business parks and retail parks in region didn't exist at all at the time.
Storx
14 Sep 2023, 7:29 am #4

Go and talk to people and find out where people really want to go and build a brand new network from scratch. The current network is just a botch of the same network since deregulation yet things like most the business parks and retail parks in region didn't exist at all at the time.

Adrian

14 Sep 2023, 11:13 am #5
A complete refocus of attitude back to buses existing to serve people, not people being there to serve bus operators
One of the biggest failings, in my opinion, is that we've lost focus over decades of why buses exist in the first place. Running a public service and running a private business are incompatible with each other, which I think is why that focus has been lost (or at least changed). Until we start to admit that we are a public service, and that we run as a public service, I don't think we'll ever get back to a point where we're serving the good people of the North East.

A fully integrated public transport network
OK, I appreciate the question is bus-focused, but for the power of franchising to be present, we've got a Metro Mayor with the power to do all of this. Needing a 'London-style' comes up a lot, and I really hate that phrase, but it doesn't negate from the fact we need a fully integrated public transport network. We need to come up with our own solution though, and not copy someone else's. Buses play a massive role, but they can't be the whole solution. It needs proper integration with a network of Metro, Rail, Tram and even the Shields Ferry. It needs to be simple, it needs to be one app/smart card, one ticket provider, without the complications of working out cheapest options.

Young persons free travel
A roll out of free travel to Under 22s, similar to the Scottish Government scheme. This is normally met with "How much will it cost?", without really looking at the socioeconomic such policy would deliver. It'd directly tackle child poverty for a start, but it also sets good habits for the future, in walking to stops or Metro stations. For those of a working age, minimum wage up to 20 is only £7.49, so it would allow people to travel further afield for work.
I also think that if something is free, with a really good transport network, they're less likely to be in a massive rush to get on the road or behind a wheel. One difference to the Scotland scheme, and something that Mayor Jamie Driscoll has spoken about, is that I would agree with him that the delivery of the free travel is actually a season ticket with 100% discount applied. What that means, is anyone caught acting in an antisocial manner, they'd simply have their smart card frozen, suspended or permanently withdrawn. It moves free travel away to a privilege to enjoy, rather than being a right.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
14 Sep 2023, 11:13 am #5

A complete refocus of attitude back to buses existing to serve people, not people being there to serve bus operators
One of the biggest failings, in my opinion, is that we've lost focus over decades of why buses exist in the first place. Running a public service and running a private business are incompatible with each other, which I think is why that focus has been lost (or at least changed). Until we start to admit that we are a public service, and that we run as a public service, I don't think we'll ever get back to a point where we're serving the good people of the North East.

OK, I appreciate the question is bus-focused, but for the power of franchising to be present, we've got a Metro Mayor with the power to do all of this. Needing a 'London-style' comes up a lot, and I really hate that phrase, but it doesn't negate from the fact we need a fully integrated public transport network. We need to come up with our own solution though, and not copy someone else's. Buses play a massive role, but they can't be the whole solution. It needs proper integration with a network of Metro, Rail, Tram and even the Shields Ferry. It needs to be simple, it needs to be one app/smart card, one ticket provider, without the complications of working out cheapest options.

A roll out of free travel to Under 22s, similar to the Scottish Government scheme. This is normally met with "How much will it cost?", without really looking at the socioeconomic such policy would deliver. It'd directly tackle child poverty for a start, but it also sets good habits for the future, in walking to stops or Metro stations. For those of a working age, minimum wage up to 20 is only £7.49, so it would allow people to travel further afield for work.
I also think that if something is free, with a really good transport network, they're less likely to be in a massive rush to get on the road or behind a wheel. One difference to the Scotland scheme, and something that Mayor Jamie Driscoll has spoken about, is that I would agree with him that the delivery of the free travel is actually a season ticket with 100% discount applied. What that means, is anyone caught acting in an antisocial manner, they'd simply have their smart card frozen, suspended or permanently withdrawn. It moves free travel away to a privilege to enjoy, rather than being a right.

Andreos1

14 Sep 2023, 4:51 pm #6
Probably all of the above. But with competent people involved. 

Whatever the premise, whatever the network, whatever the colour of the vehicles... It won't work without people involved, who are actually capable. 

So that means the 'old' jobs for the boys (or girls) mantra needs to go.

Sorry about that. But I'd actually want this thing to succeed.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
14 Sep 2023, 4:51 pm #6

Probably all of the above. But with competent people involved. 

Whatever the premise, whatever the network, whatever the colour of the vehicles... It won't work without people involved, who are actually capable. 

So that means the 'old' jobs for the boys (or girls) mantra needs to go.

Sorry about that. But I'd actually want this thing to succeed.

Chris 1

14 Sep 2023, 5:48 pm #7
Certainly agree with all of the above. I’d add the caveat to the people employed to make the decisions - as part of their terms of employment they can’t use a car. Let them work 8/9 hours a day and then wait for a bus in the cold that may or may not turn up, and takes an age to get vaguely to where they want to be.
Chris 1
14 Sep 2023, 5:48 pm #7

Certainly agree with all of the above. I’d add the caveat to the people employed to make the decisions - as part of their terms of employment they can’t use a car. Let them work 8/9 hours a day and then wait for a bus in the cold that may or may not turn up, and takes an age to get vaguely to where they want to be.

Adrian

14 Sep 2023, 6:02 pm #8
(14 Sep 2023, 5:48 pm)Chris 1 Certainly agree with all of the above. I’d add the caveat to the people employed to make the decisions - as part of their terms of employment they can’t use a car. Let them work 8/9 hours a day and then wait for a bus in the cold that may or may not turn up, and takes an age to get vaguely to where they want to be.

See, I don't think they should be made to. They should want to. 

If your product is so great or is 'creating desire', then you should be wanting to lead by example in using your services.

Adrian
14 Sep 2023, 6:02 pm #8

(14 Sep 2023, 5:48 pm)Chris 1 Certainly agree with all of the above. I’d add the caveat to the people employed to make the decisions - as part of their terms of employment they can’t use a car. Let them work 8/9 hours a day and then wait for a bus in the cold that may or may not turn up, and takes an age to get vaguely to where they want to be.

See, I don't think they should be made to. They should want to. 

If your product is so great or is 'creating desire', then you should be wanting to lead by example in using your services.

Andreos1

14 Sep 2023, 7:15 pm #9
(14 Sep 2023, 6:02 pm)Adrian See, I don't think they should be made to. They should want to. 

They might want to. But are unable to, just because of how shite the service actually is. 

A damming indictment of the network they've destroyed (I would say network they've created, but that would be a lie).

Andreos1
14 Sep 2023, 7:15 pm #9

(14 Sep 2023, 6:02 pm)Adrian See, I don't think they should be made to. They should want to. 

They might want to. But are unable to, just because of how shite the service actually is. 

A damming indictment of the network they've destroyed (I would say network they've created, but that would be a lie).

14 Sep 2023, 7:22 pm #10
A bus service 24hrs a day to enable you to start work at 2am or 6am or not worry that last bus is 2300
DaveFromUpNorth
14 Sep 2023, 7:22 pm #10

A bus service 24hrs a day to enable you to start work at 2am or 6am or not worry that last bus is 2300

Unber43

14 Sep 2023, 7:31 pm #11
This thread is mainly aimed at GNE and for good reason I would think, but Arriva and SC espeically have done favours, yes GNE have brands (which I do like) and I think it is very key in marketing to market their buses to the customers, especially with adverts on the engine at the back e.g

Last Bus after 11pm,
Easington to Newcastle every 15 mins in around 70 mins, tables, WIFI
Route Map etc

However I think Arriva and SC also share in the blame, SC not so much they don't really care about Hartleepool i mean don't blame them, but its Arriva is the issue atleast GNE are trying Arriva wants out as soon as theyll give them money, Arriva is the issue they dont wanna be here GNE is atleast trying.

Personally if I was in charge I would say

- More Frequent Buses, later buses
- Night Buses - maybe longer but could be similar length in time as during the day
- Branded Buses (not all routes but most, with a unique generic livery (e.g GNE 2019 Livery) and all services have a base plate such as the XLines are the same design with different colours, but are proper expresses)
- Under 22 Free Travel I would agree with
- Questionaires for where people want to go, routes haven't changed in decades, some don't have to e.g X1/60/56 really, but stuff like the 317 has seen positive growth and hopefully GNE new services in NT, also thats another thing GNE are constantly getting hate for their new services they're trying to run a comerical service in an area they pulled out of the best they can when Arriva pulled out.
- Also I would keep the Go North East name as its like saying Go North East, with their transportation, create one massive company from Darlington to Berwick called

Go North East - Journeys Taken Care of, but Journeys actually taking care off, decent standard of buses, actual care in their branding making sure branded buses aren't on the wrong routes. No competition on routes.
Unber43
14 Sep 2023, 7:31 pm #11

This thread is mainly aimed at GNE and for good reason I would think, but Arriva and SC espeically have done favours, yes GNE have brands (which I do like) and I think it is very key in marketing to market their buses to the customers, especially with adverts on the engine at the back e.g

Last Bus after 11pm,
Easington to Newcastle every 15 mins in around 70 mins, tables, WIFI
Route Map etc

However I think Arriva and SC also share in the blame, SC not so much they don't really care about Hartleepool i mean don't blame them, but its Arriva is the issue atleast GNE are trying Arriva wants out as soon as theyll give them money, Arriva is the issue they dont wanna be here GNE is atleast trying.

Personally if I was in charge I would say

- More Frequent Buses, later buses
- Night Buses - maybe longer but could be similar length in time as during the day
- Branded Buses (not all routes but most, with a unique generic livery (e.g GNE 2019 Livery) and all services have a base plate such as the XLines are the same design with different colours, but are proper expresses)
- Under 22 Free Travel I would agree with
- Questionaires for where people want to go, routes haven't changed in decades, some don't have to e.g X1/60/56 really, but stuff like the 317 has seen positive growth and hopefully GNE new services in NT, also thats another thing GNE are constantly getting hate for their new services they're trying to run a comerical service in an area they pulled out of the best they can when Arriva pulled out.
- Also I would keep the Go North East name as its like saying Go North East, with their transportation, create one massive company from Darlington to Berwick called

Go North East - Journeys Taken Care of, but Journeys actually taking care off, decent standard of buses, actual care in their branding making sure branded buses aren't on the wrong routes. No competition on routes.

Storx

15 Sep 2023, 8:14 am #12
Personally I'd just rather the buses were branded as 'Bus' there's no need for stupid branding at all. The Beeline or whatever it is in Manchester isn't much better.

Unique route branding should be stopped immediately though as it just causes allocation problems and no-one really cares.

Just have Bus, Metro, Rail, Ferry. It works in Europe well enough and pretty much every other country aswell with each one with its own brand colour. Metro obviously being the yellow.
Storx
15 Sep 2023, 8:14 am #12

Personally I'd just rather the buses were branded as 'Bus' there's no need for stupid branding at all. The Beeline or whatever it is in Manchester isn't much better.

Unique route branding should be stopped immediately though as it just causes allocation problems and no-one really cares.

Just have Bus, Metro, Rail, Ferry. It works in Europe well enough and pretty much every other country aswell with each one with its own brand colour. Metro obviously being the yellow.

Bazza

15 Sep 2023, 8:33 am #13
(14 Sep 2023, 11:13 am)Adrian A complete refocus of attitude back to buses existing to serve people, not people being there to serve bus operators

Gets my vote for the best idea so far
Bazza
15 Sep 2023, 8:33 am #13

(14 Sep 2023, 11:13 am)Adrian A complete refocus of attitude back to buses existing to serve people, not people being there to serve bus operators

Gets my vote for the best idea so far

Rob44

15 Sep 2023, 9:07 am #14
(15 Sep 2023, 8:33 am)Bazza Gets my vote for the best idea so far

Is that cause your under 22?
Rob44
15 Sep 2023, 9:07 am #14

(15 Sep 2023, 8:33 am)Bazza Gets my vote for the best idea so far

Is that cause your under 22?

Bazza

15 Sep 2023, 9:26 am #15
(15 Sep 2023, 9:07 am)Rob44 Is that cause your under 22?

Funnily enough no!  Add several decades!
Bazza
15 Sep 2023, 9:26 am #15

(15 Sep 2023, 9:07 am)Rob44 Is that cause your under 22?

Funnily enough no!  Add several decades!

17 Sep 2023, 10:14 am #16
* Apply a temporary brand

Make it simple but eye catching, with a common fleetname but use vinyls to have easily swapped sub brands for each depot. Issue cheap temporary uniforms and publicity.

* Dump the apps and Nexus

Why duplicate what Bustimes.org are already doing really well? Nexus are useless, leave them to farting around with steam powered ferries and clapped out trains.

* Retender stop timetable provision

With a huge region and a standardized format, the private sector will snap your hand off for the massive contract to provide the still extremely important function of ensuring there is an up to date paper timetable at every single bus stop.

* Centralise customer support.

A single office handling all queries over whatever means customers wish to use, with Bustimes.org as the common frame of reference between provider and customer.

* Go cashless.

Replace all the ticket machines with smart models. Use the PayPoint network for the few people who don't have a means of contactless payment. Partner with Age Concern and other organizations to remove the fear, uncertainty and doubt that comes with such changes.

* Change the fare structure.

Make it simple and fair. Dump free travel and concessionary passes. Everyone must pay for each journey, even if it is a nominal 20p.

* Map the region, redesign the network

Contract a big data company to analyze the data on real time travel patterns coming from the smart ticket machines. Identify where routes, stops and frequencies can be altered to better serve the evident needs of the customer. Adopt a rolling program of periodic changes, ending only when you are satisfied the network is best suited for current and future demand.

Parallel to this, you centralise the planning and operations functions, making full use of digital technology to locate these functions in nice clean control center far from a depot, paring down the back office staff on site to a minimum but effective level.

* Go all electric

You now have the depot space and the purchasing power to pursue an aggressive fleet replacement program centered on a handful of standardized region specific all electric designs. Aim to completely replace the fleet within five years.

* Roll out the permanent brand

It is a no brainer to adopt whole route branding across the board, with a minimal nod to the network brand. The benefits far outweigh the minimal costs of operational constraints. It makes sense however to only roll out the brands as new vehicles arrive, their standardized shape and interior helping customers realize these are brands within a cohesive network.

Make each rollout a big deal, emphasizing that while it is technically true that the ownership and staffing hasn't changed, each brand launch marks a step change in quality. Before was temporary. This is the new dawn.

* Upgrade training and standards

Establish a training and professional standards regime that befits the new permanent brand. With each new brand rollout, ensure the passengers appreciate these brand new vehicles are also staffed by the newly uniformed properly trained staff.

* Rebuild the depot network.

My major cost is now the greedy drivers and legacy bills.

It makes perfect sense therefore to cut dead mileage to the bone by building many more smaller depots spread out across the region, with buses in service within a mile or less. New builds on readily available well connected industrial estates maximize efficient use of space and equipment, and of course take full advantage of green technology such as solar panels and digital communications.

The small depots are literally only for secure stabling, charging, cleaning and staffing of the PVR. Going the other way, I establish a network of a handful of massive super depots, where all repairs, maintenance and renewal is carried out, and the reserve fleet and private hire and other specialist buses are stabled.

All driver training activities are moved to a single dedicated site, taking advantage of the fact vehicles and equipment are now standardized.

* Smash the unions.

I am now the only show in town, if you want to be a bus driver. My vehicles are clean and quiet, my customers are happy, my network is efficient and effective, and my training is best in class. The people love me. I am a shining beacon of regional pride, my marketing department having ensured branding brings local buy in.

Frankly, if I could run my operation without drivers, I would. But for now, they are a necessary evil.

I do all I can to minimize the drivers ability to harm my business. If that means being aggressive in how I apply my standards, I will, confident as I am that my pay rates and conditions of working give absolutely nobody who lives in this region any cause for complaint. If they think they can do better elsewhere, then by all means, go.

If anything, it's better for my brand and my business if I can quickly get to a situation where the majority of drivers are people who are new to the industry and only know my standards, methods and operational arrangements. With dedicated route allocations it is even easier to recruit new hands.

There are plenty out there looking to change jobs, and the benefits are well worth the investment.

* Profit

People are amazed to realize that rather than requiring an ever larger subsidy and suffer the indignity of being being a mere public servant who must be forever slave to the whims of moronic politicians, the benefits of bringing a ruthlessly commercial attitude to a legal monopoly, are that you can actually make money. It's a fine art, balancing fares and costs, but since that is literally my only job, and given I have a financial incentive to provide more services not less, and every penny of my profit can be reinvested, I do it quite well.

* Run

Things go well for ten or even twenty years, certainly long enough to prove the operation is sustainable long term. But the moment I see the next pandemic on the horizon, I pack a suitcase, jump on a plane and throw the keys to the head of the council as I fly over the city.

See ya!
Fleetmaster
17 Sep 2023, 10:14 am #16

* Apply a temporary brand

Make it simple but eye catching, with a common fleetname but use vinyls to have easily swapped sub brands for each depot. Issue cheap temporary uniforms and publicity.

Why duplicate what Bustimes.org are already doing really well? Nexus are useless, leave them to farting around with steam powered ferries and clapped out trains.

With a huge region and a standardized format, the private sector will snap your hand off for the massive contract to provide the still extremely important function of ensuring there is an up to date paper timetable at every single bus stop.

A single office handling all queries over whatever means customers wish to use, with Bustimes.org as the common frame of reference between provider and customer.

* Go cashless.

Replace all the ticket machines with smart models. Use the PayPoint network for the few people who don't have a means of contactless payment. Partner with Age Concern and other organizations to remove the fear, uncertainty and doubt that comes with such changes.

Make it simple and fair. Dump free travel and concessionary passes. Everyone must pay for each journey, even if it is a nominal 20p.

Contract a big data company to analyze the data on real time travel patterns coming from the smart ticket machines. Identify where routes, stops and frequencies can be altered to better serve the evident needs of the customer. Adopt a rolling program of periodic changes, ending only when you are satisfied the network is best suited for current and future demand.

Parallel to this, you centralise the planning and operations functions, making full use of digital technology to locate these functions in nice clean control center far from a depot, paring down the back office staff on site to a minimum but effective level.

* Go all electric

You now have the depot space and the purchasing power to pursue an aggressive fleet replacement program centered on a handful of standardized region specific all electric designs. Aim to completely replace the fleet within five years.

It is a no brainer to adopt whole route branding across the board, with a minimal nod to the network brand. The benefits far outweigh the minimal costs of operational constraints. It makes sense however to only roll out the brands as new vehicles arrive, their standardized shape and interior helping customers realize these are brands within a cohesive network.

Make each rollout a big deal, emphasizing that while it is technically true that the ownership and staffing hasn't changed, each brand launch marks a step change in quality. Before was temporary. This is the new dawn.

Establish a training and professional standards regime that befits the new permanent brand. With each new brand rollout, ensure the passengers appreciate these brand new vehicles are also staffed by the newly uniformed properly trained staff.

It makes perfect sense therefore to cut dead mileage to the bone by building many more smaller depots spread out across the region, with buses in service within a mile or less. New builds on readily available well connected industrial estates maximize efficient use of space and equipment, and of course take full advantage of green technology such as solar panels and digital communications.

The small depots are literally only for secure stabling, charging, cleaning and staffing of the PVR. Going the other way, I establish a network of a handful of massive super depots, where all repairs, maintenance and renewal is carried out, and the reserve fleet and private hire and other specialist buses are stabled.

All driver training activities are moved to a single dedicated site, taking advantage of the fact vehicles and equipment are now standardized.

* Smash the unions.

I am now the only show in town, if you want to be a bus driver. My vehicles are clean and quiet, my customers are happy, my network is efficient and effective, and my training is best in class. The people love me. I am a shining beacon of regional pride, my marketing department having ensured branding brings local buy in.

Frankly, if I could run my operation without drivers, I would. But for now, they are a necessary evil.

I do all I can to minimize the drivers ability to harm my business. If that means being aggressive in how I apply my standards, I will, confident as I am that my pay rates and conditions of working give absolutely nobody who lives in this region any cause for complaint. If they think they can do better elsewhere, then by all means, go.

If anything, it's better for my brand and my business if I can quickly get to a situation where the majority of drivers are people who are new to the industry and only know my standards, methods and operational arrangements. With dedicated route allocations it is even easier to recruit new hands.

There are plenty out there looking to change jobs, and the benefits are well worth the investment.

* Profit

People are amazed to realize that rather than requiring an ever larger subsidy and suffer the indignity of being being a mere public servant who must be forever slave to the whims of moronic politicians, the benefits of bringing a ruthlessly commercial attitude to a legal monopoly, are that you can actually make money. It's a fine art, balancing fares and costs, but since that is literally my only job, and given I have a financial incentive to provide more services not less, and every penny of my profit can be reinvested, I do it quite well.

* Run

Things go well for ten or even twenty years, certainly long enough to prove the operation is sustainable long term. But the moment I see the next pandemic on the horizon, I pack a suitcase, jump on a plane and throw the keys to the head of the council as I fly over the city.

See ya!

17 Sep 2023, 12:06 pm #17
(17 Sep 2023, 10:14 am)Fleetmaster * Change the fare structure.

I doubt that will be very popular
NEbushopper
17 Sep 2023, 12:06 pm #17

(17 Sep 2023, 10:14 am)Fleetmaster * Change the fare structure.

I doubt that will be very popular

17 Sep 2023, 2:09 pm #18
People love free stuff. Maybe if they realized being driven about in a large heavy metal box does actually cost money, they might value/respect it a little more? The perception that buses are only for the elderly, kids and welfare cases is a big reason why it has the least amount of policy attention despite being the most widely used form of "public" (as in available to anyone) transport.

More broadly, the Day Rider and similar tickets have to be the biggest insult to potential occasional bus users ever invented. Where else other than Beamish are you effectively given a whole day's service for only slightly (as in literal pennies) more than it costs to perform what most people define as a single useful return trip. It's a total con.
Fleetmaster
17 Sep 2023, 2:09 pm #18

People love free stuff. Maybe if they realized being driven about in a large heavy metal box does actually cost money, they might value/respect it a little more? The perception that buses are only for the elderly, kids and welfare cases is a big reason why it has the least amount of policy attention despite being the most widely used form of "public" (as in available to anyone) transport.

More broadly, the Day Rider and similar tickets have to be the biggest insult to potential occasional bus users ever invented. Where else other than Beamish are you effectively given a whole day's service for only slightly (as in literal pennies) more than it costs to perform what most people define as a single useful return trip. It's a total con.

Bazza

17 Sep 2023, 6:18 pm #19
(17 Sep 2023, 10:14 am)Fleetmaster * Apply a temporary brand

* Go cashless.

* Go all electric

* Smash the unions.

* Profit

* Run

See ya!

You have some interesting ideas. 

What is concerning, that in the real world, you may be in a position where you manage staff. I really hope not.
Bazza
17 Sep 2023, 6:18 pm #19

(17 Sep 2023, 10:14 am)Fleetmaster * Apply a temporary brand

* Go cashless.

* Go all electric

* Smash the unions.

* Profit

* Run

See ya!

You have some interesting ideas. 

What is concerning, that in the real world, you may be in a position where you manage staff. I really hope not.

17 Sep 2023, 8:51 pm #20
I have both managed and been a manager. I have been unionised and non-unionised, unskilled, skilled and professional. I have been one of 5, 50 and 5,000 at one time or another. I know what works and what doesn't.

Tolerating an underperforming hostile workforce while you valianty try to make the necessary changes to save a failing business, never works. It is certainly why Wilko failed. Nobody seriously believes that the pay, conditions or management is any different at Poundland, Home Bargains or B&Ms, the more successful business that apparently had a big role in fatally wounding Wilko.

One suspects the difference is workplace culture. Employee culture. Union culture. Wilko is GMB, the other three are USDAW. I certainly wasn't impressed by the standards displayed by Wilko employees months ago, when there was still a chance the business could be turned around and management had already made very bold changes in an effort to turn things around, if only the workers showed the slightest interest in treating people like me as valued customers, not inconveniences. A visit to Home Bargains today saw me marvel at how dedicated the staff are.

Like Unite, GMB make a lot of noise and say a lot of things, such as this claim the management of Wilko, a business that existed for generations, are incompetent. Doesn't add up. Never does. USDAW are far quieter, known for negotiating in good faith and preferring ot to grandstand for political point scoring. A union that recognizes that a workforce without work is a pretty pointless thing indeed.
Fleetmaster
17 Sep 2023, 8:51 pm #20

I have both managed and been a manager. I have been unionised and non-unionised, unskilled, skilled and professional. I have been one of 5, 50 and 5,000 at one time or another. I know what works and what doesn't.

Tolerating an underperforming hostile workforce while you valianty try to make the necessary changes to save a failing business, never works. It is certainly why Wilko failed. Nobody seriously believes that the pay, conditions or management is any different at Poundland, Home Bargains or B&Ms, the more successful business that apparently had a big role in fatally wounding Wilko.

One suspects the difference is workplace culture. Employee culture. Union culture. Wilko is GMB, the other three are USDAW. I certainly wasn't impressed by the standards displayed by Wilko employees months ago, when there was still a chance the business could be turned around and management had already made very bold changes in an effort to turn things around, if only the workers showed the slightest interest in treating people like me as valued customers, not inconveniences. A visit to Home Bargains today saw me marvel at how dedicated the staff are.

Like Unite, GMB make a lot of noise and say a lot of things, such as this claim the management of Wilko, a business that existed for generations, are incompetent. Doesn't add up. Never does. USDAW are far quieter, known for negotiating in good faith and preferring ot to grandstand for political point scoring. A union that recognizes that a workforce without work is a pretty pointless thing indeed.

Pages (2) 1 2 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average