Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Boxing Day Services

Boxing Day Services

Boxing Day Services

• 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (5) Previous 13 4 5 Next
Storx

25 Dec 2023, 11:14 am #61
(25 Dec 2023, 9:16 am)busmanT Don’t Northumberland County Council rely on Nexus for their bus service publicity

Not that I'm aware of, Nexus is Tyne and Wear only especially for ticketing information, they always redirect you to Travelline or the individual operators for anything bus related and Arriva (who everyone would use up here) is still no service on boxing day.

They just have a contract out for timetable displays which Nexus as far as I'm aware, unsure what address they have on them

Edit: Just checked the liners online and it's travelline and the phone numbers for Arriva and GoNorthEast, no mention of Nexus.
Edited 25 Dec 2023, 11:22 am by Storx.
Storx
25 Dec 2023, 11:14 am #61

(25 Dec 2023, 9:16 am)busmanT Don’t Northumberland County Council rely on Nexus for their bus service publicity

Not that I'm aware of, Nexus is Tyne and Wear only especially for ticketing information, they always redirect you to Travelline or the individual operators for anything bus related and Arriva (who everyone would use up here) is still no service on boxing day.

They just have a contract out for timetable displays which Nexus as far as I'm aware, unsure what address they have on them

Edit: Just checked the liners online and it's travelline and the phone numbers for Arriva and GoNorthEast, no mention of Nexus.

busmanT

25 Dec 2023, 8:26 pm #62
(25 Dec 2023, 11:14 am)Storx Not that I'm aware of, Nexus is Tyne and Wear only especially for ticketing information, they always redirect you to Travelline or the individual operators for anything bus related and Arriva (who everyone would use up here) is still no service on boxing day.

I see that the Northumberland area timetable liners are in the Nexus style; the liners are available as a PDF through the Nexus website (live map); the full timetables for all services in Northumberland are also available through the Nexus website (in Nexus style). Presumably the whole of the bus service information provision for Northumberland CC is contracted out to Nexus.
busmanT
25 Dec 2023, 8:26 pm #62

(25 Dec 2023, 11:14 am)Storx Not that I'm aware of, Nexus is Tyne and Wear only especially for ticketing information, they always redirect you to Travelline or the individual operators for anything bus related and Arriva (who everyone would use up here) is still no service on boxing day.

I see that the Northumberland area timetable liners are in the Nexus style; the liners are available as a PDF through the Nexus website (live map); the full timetables for all services in Northumberland are also available through the Nexus website (in Nexus style). Presumably the whole of the bus service information provision for Northumberland CC is contracted out to Nexus.

Storx

25 Dec 2023, 8:48 pm #63
(25 Dec 2023, 8:26 pm)busmanT I see that the Northumberland area timetable liners are in the Nexus style; the liners are available as a PDF through the Nexus website (live map); the full timetables for all services in Northumberland are also available through the Nexus website (in Nexus style). Presumably the whole of the bus service information provision for Northumberland CC is contracted out to Nexus.

I believe Northumberland CC have contracted Nexus to update bus timetable liners on bus stops.

I don't know how Nexus' website works, but I assume that information is needed to generate the liners and a large number of the services crosses into Nexus' area it makes no sense to actively build a system to hide the services that don't. There's no information on the Nexus website beyond what's needed for the liners, nor do the liners tell you use Nexus, instead mentioning Traveline.

You have to remember all these boxing day services run into Tyne and Wear, so need to be listed for passengers who use the services coming from Newcastle regardless. Note they're all under Newcastle or Gateshead rather than Northumberland though - https://www.nexus.org.uk/sites/default/f...b_2023.pdf
Storx
25 Dec 2023, 8:48 pm #63

(25 Dec 2023, 8:26 pm)busmanT I see that the Northumberland area timetable liners are in the Nexus style; the liners are available as a PDF through the Nexus website (live map); the full timetables for all services in Northumberland are also available through the Nexus website (in Nexus style). Presumably the whole of the bus service information provision for Northumberland CC is contracted out to Nexus.

I believe Northumberland CC have contracted Nexus to update bus timetable liners on bus stops.

I don't know how Nexus' website works, but I assume that information is needed to generate the liners and a large number of the services crosses into Nexus' area it makes no sense to actively build a system to hide the services that don't. There's no information on the Nexus website beyond what's needed for the liners, nor do the liners tell you use Nexus, instead mentioning Traveline.

You have to remember all these boxing day services run into Tyne and Wear, so need to be listed for passengers who use the services coming from Newcastle regardless. Note they're all under Newcastle or Gateshead rather than Northumberland though - https://www.nexus.org.uk/sites/default/f...b_2023.pdf

L469 YVK

25 Dec 2023, 9:08 pm #64
(24 Dec 2023, 5:54 pm)Aaron21 Guessing so. It'll be like a normal day for tickets

And after checking with GNE, seems that the Coast Road agreement should still be in place for the 308 despite being operated by Stagecoach, qlthough presumably wouldn't include Stagecoach tickets.
L469 YVK
25 Dec 2023, 9:08 pm #64

(24 Dec 2023, 5:54 pm)Aaron21 Guessing so. It'll be like a normal day for tickets

And after checking with GNE, seems that the Coast Road agreement should still be in place for the 308 despite being operated by Stagecoach, qlthough presumably wouldn't include Stagecoach tickets.

RobinHood

25 Dec 2023, 9:25 pm #65
(25 Dec 2023, 9:08 pm)L469 YVK And after checking with GNE, seems that the Coast Road agreement should still be in place for the 308 despite being operated by Stagecoach, qlthough presumably wouldn't include Stagecoach tickets.

Given the legal document for the qualifying agreement is specifically between the two operators (GNE & Arriva) only, I'm very surprised at this.

If they do accept tickets, they are doing it off their own back. Absolutely no obligation to do so, it can't even be enforced by Nexus, as they are not party to the agreement either.
RobinHood
25 Dec 2023, 9:25 pm #65

(25 Dec 2023, 9:08 pm)L469 YVK And after checking with GNE, seems that the Coast Road agreement should still be in place for the 308 despite being operated by Stagecoach, qlthough presumably wouldn't include Stagecoach tickets.

Given the legal document for the qualifying agreement is specifically between the two operators (GNE & Arriva) only, I'm very surprised at this.

If they do accept tickets, they are doing it off their own back. Absolutely no obligation to do so, it can't even be enforced by Nexus, as they are not party to the agreement either.

DeltaMan

25 Dec 2023, 9:32 pm #66
You'd think Arriva would tell thier own customers of service options from Blyth, Ashington and Morpeth on Boxing Day, but they clearly don't care.
DeltaMan
25 Dec 2023, 9:32 pm #66

You'd think Arriva would tell thier own customers of service options from Blyth, Ashington and Morpeth on Boxing Day, but they clearly don't care.

L469 YVK

25 Dec 2023, 9:34 pm #67
(25 Dec 2023, 9:25 pm)RobinHood Given the legal document for the qualifying agreement is specifically between the two operators (GNE & Arriva) only, I'm very surprised at this.

Unless it was agreed as part of the tender when Stagecoach won the tender to provide a Boxing Day service.
L469 YVK
25 Dec 2023, 9:34 pm #67

(25 Dec 2023, 9:25 pm)RobinHood Given the legal document for the qualifying agreement is specifically between the two operators (GNE & Arriva) only, I'm very surprised at this.

Unless it was agreed as part of the tender when Stagecoach won the tender to provide a Boxing Day service.

L469 YVK

26 Dec 2023, 9:22 am #68
Had a 69 plate Stagecoach E400MMC on the 308 this morning. Throw back to the days of good timekeeping and solid vehicles on the route such as Leyland/Volvo Olympians, Cityzens and Lowlanders
L469 YVK
26 Dec 2023, 9:22 am #68

Had a 69 plate Stagecoach E400MMC on the 308 this morning. Throw back to the days of good timekeeping and solid vehicles on the route such as Leyland/Volvo Olympians, Cityzens and Lowlanders

Dan

Site Administrator

26 Dec 2023, 9:29 am #69

Regardless of what the Qualifying Agreement states, it is down to the tendering authority to determine which pre-purchased tickets they wish to accept on a Minimum Cost contract.

If Nexus wish to accept GNE/Arriva tickets on their secured 308 service on Boxing Day, that is up to them.

In the same way, Northumberland County Council wanted Go North East to accept pre-purchased Arriva tickets on the 43, X10/X11, X18 and X22.

I’d imagine putting customers first is their priority, and the marginal revenue loss is not as important to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
26 Dec 2023, 9:29 am #69

Regardless of what the Qualifying Agreement states, it is down to the tendering authority to determine which pre-purchased tickets they wish to accept on a Minimum Cost contract.

If Nexus wish to accept GNE/Arriva tickets on their secured 308 service on Boxing Day, that is up to them.

In the same way, Northumberland County Council wanted Go North East to accept pre-purchased Arriva tickets on the 43, X10/X11, X18 and X22.

I’d imagine putting customers first is their priority, and the marginal revenue loss is not as important to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ambassador

26 Dec 2023, 9:42 am #70
It’s the season of goodwill to all mankind this Matchday and as ambassador heads off for a festive feast

But I am here to hark that my angel hasn’t turned up, too much turkey and sherry at riverside to get all the buses out?

Edit - she’s here! It turns out even at Xmas the Chester starts are invariably very late. Merry Christmas Marty G
Edited 26 Dec 2023, 9:47 am by Ambassador.
Ambassador
26 Dec 2023, 9:42 am #70

It’s the season of goodwill to all mankind this Matchday and as ambassador heads off for a festive feast

But I am here to hark that my angel hasn’t turned up, too much turkey and sherry at riverside to get all the buses out?

Edit - she’s here! It turns out even at Xmas the Chester starts are invariably very late. Merry Christmas Marty G

26 Dec 2023, 9:52 am #71
The 08:57 X18 from Morpeth didn’t turn up. Wonder why this was?
NEbushopper
26 Dec 2023, 9:52 am #71

The 08:57 X18 from Morpeth didn’t turn up. Wonder why this was?

Andreos1

26 Dec 2023, 10:21 am #72
(26 Dec 2023, 9:42 am)Ambassador It’s the season of goodwill to all mankind this Matchday and as ambassador heads off for a festive feast

Saw one on Christmas Eve being driven through the Fell by a fitter.
Maybe it was wingmirror issues, maybe there had been a festive photoshoot by a well known landmark that inspired the brand. Maybe the fitter didn't want to go home. 

But on the off-chance there had been mechanical issues - unless there was a festive miracle between then and now, I'd not hold out much hope that particular vehicle had been fixed properly.
Edited 26 Dec 2023, 10:22 am by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
26 Dec 2023, 10:21 am #72

(26 Dec 2023, 9:42 am)Ambassador It’s the season of goodwill to all mankind this Matchday and as ambassador heads off for a festive feast

Saw one on Christmas Eve being driven through the Fell by a fitter.
Maybe it was wingmirror issues, maybe there had been a festive photoshoot by a well known landmark that inspired the brand. Maybe the fitter didn't want to go home. 

But on the off-chance there had been mechanical issues - unless there was a festive miracle between then and now, I'd not hold out much hope that particular vehicle had been fixed properly.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Storx

26 Dec 2023, 10:24 am #73
(26 Dec 2023, 9:22 am)L469 YVK Had a 69 plate Stagecoach E400MMC on the 308 this morning. Throw back to the days of good timekeeping and solid vehicles on the route such as Leyland/Volvo Olympians, Cityzens and Lowlanders

You mean like the DB300's which run every day...? Which are just the next generation (Lowlander DB250).

I'd also take a DB300 over an awful Trident any day of the week which ironically were removed from service years ago as they we're absolutely useless. The Enviro 400's not particularly being much better.
Edited 26 Dec 2023, 10:27 am by Storx.
Storx
26 Dec 2023, 10:24 am #73

(26 Dec 2023, 9:22 am)L469 YVK Had a 69 plate Stagecoach E400MMC on the 308 this morning. Throw back to the days of good timekeeping and solid vehicles on the route such as Leyland/Volvo Olympians, Cityzens and Lowlanders

You mean like the DB300's which run every day...? Which are just the next generation (Lowlander DB250).

I'd also take a DB300 over an awful Trident any day of the week which ironically were removed from service years ago as they we're absolutely useless. The Enviro 400's not particularly being much better.

Ambassador

26 Dec 2023, 10:25 am #74
There seems to be a 15 minute delay to most services already. Mine was running in a pair and both were empty
Ambassador
26 Dec 2023, 10:25 am #74

There seems to be a 15 minute delay to most services already. Mine was running in a pair and both were empty

RobinHood

26 Dec 2023, 10:27 am #75
(25 Dec 2023, 9:32 pm)DeltaMan You'd think Arriva would tell thier own customers of service options from Blyth, Ashington and Morpeth on Boxing Day, but they clearly don't care.
They would have done, if NCC or Nexus had bothered to send the details to Arriva to include...
Edited 26 Dec 2023, 10:27 am by RobinHood.
RobinHood
26 Dec 2023, 10:27 am #75

(25 Dec 2023, 9:32 pm)DeltaMan You'd think Arriva would tell thier own customers of service options from Blyth, Ashington and Morpeth on Boxing Day, but they clearly don't care.
They would have done, if NCC or Nexus had bothered to send the details to Arriva to include...

Ambassador

26 Dec 2023, 10:57 am #76
My 21 ran full from low fell.

Always a positive, but the highlight was spotting Dan at st Mary’s place
Ambassador
26 Dec 2023, 10:57 am #76

My 21 ran full from low fell.

Always a positive, but the highlight was spotting Dan at st Mary’s place

L469 YVK

26 Dec 2023, 10:58 am #77
(26 Dec 2023, 10:24 am)Storx You mean like the DB300's which run every day...? Which are just the next generation (Lowlander DB250).

The W*** RBB Tridents were awful on the 308 after being hammered on the 602 and to the extent that Jesmond never sent them out on the 306 on Sundays with B10BLE's or Palatines / 7445-46 used instead.

DB300's I think are okay.......but not as rapid as the E400MMC, not forgetting the DB300 is powered by a 205BHP Cummins unit whereas the E400/E400MMC is powered by a 240/250BHP Cummins unit. Got up to speed fairly quick this morning too!

The original E400 allocated (7501-06) were a bag of ***** as Arriva Blyth didn't look after their buses then contrary to Ashington's examples on the X31/X32/X33 (7507-13) which had a bit more TLC. In fact, anything that never touched the 308 or X93 out of that batch were sound.
L469 YVK
26 Dec 2023, 10:58 am #77

(26 Dec 2023, 10:24 am)Storx You mean like the DB300's which run every day...? Which are just the next generation (Lowlander DB250).

The W*** RBB Tridents were awful on the 308 after being hammered on the 602 and to the extent that Jesmond never sent them out on the 306 on Sundays with B10BLE's or Palatines / 7445-46 used instead.

DB300's I think are okay.......but not as rapid as the E400MMC, not forgetting the DB300 is powered by a 205BHP Cummins unit whereas the E400/E400MMC is powered by a 240/250BHP Cummins unit. Got up to speed fairly quick this morning too!

The original E400 allocated (7501-06) were a bag of ***** as Arriva Blyth didn't look after their buses then contrary to Ashington's examples on the X31/X32/X33 (7507-13) which had a bit more TLC. In fact, anything that never touched the 308 or X93 out of that batch were sound.

26 Dec 2023, 11:06 am #78
Is phoenix running a party bus as a service bus today?
DaveFromUpNorth
26 Dec 2023, 11:06 am #78

Is phoenix running a party bus as a service bus today?

Ambassador

26 Dec 2023, 11:15 am #79
(26 Dec 2023, 11:06 am)DaveFromUpNorth Is phoenix running a party bus as a service bus today?

Yes. It’s on the X21 just arriving into Haymarket (as seen with pint in hand at the junction)

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
26 Dec 2023, 11:15 am #79

(26 Dec 2023, 11:06 am)DaveFromUpNorth Is phoenix running a party bus as a service bus today?

Yes. It’s on the X21 just arriving into Haymarket (as seen with pint in hand at the junction)

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

Unber43

26 Dec 2023, 11:17 am #80
wouldnt be the first time
Unber43
26 Dec 2023, 11:17 am #80

wouldnt be the first time

Pages (5) Previous 13 4 5 Next

• 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average