Menu

Pages (20)    114 15 1620   
Dan   08 Jan 2024, 9:53 pm
(08 Jan 2024, 12:47 pm)Unber43 wrote What was the point of wasting money getting them done then!

As for Plans GNE have been less than stella in the plans for their network, the amount of flip flops due to incompentant managment...can you blame people for their lack of faith

How is it a waste of money if they get used elsewhere?

As for plans for the network, I have seen a constant stream of adaptations to the network over the last 12 months, which have largely been improvements (latterly with support using BSIP funding).

Of course, more can be done. I am sure more will be done. These things take time, and, where there are fundamental network changes, these are now at an 18-week timeline (in-line with the Enhanced Partnership which north east operators signed up to).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unber43   08 Jan 2024, 10:08 pm
THey say a Bee In Traning , which sounds stupid and looks stupid if they end up appearing on the 49 with normal drivers
Dan   08 Jan 2024, 10:11 pm
(08 Jan 2024, 10:08 pm)Unber43 wrote THey say a Bee In Traning , which sounds stupid and looks stupid if they end up appearing on the 49 with normal drivers

Sigh.

5511-21 are being used as Driver Training vehicles, and one can infer from my previous posts that the seats are going to be removed to be used in other buses at some point, which obviously means they can’t be used on the 49.

Ambassador   08 Jan 2024, 10:48 pm
You know I love to criticise the Bensham Boys but…this makes sense

The new drivers are erm… varying in skill shall we say.

If the Streetlite is your vehicle of choice and what a new driver is likely to experience, it surely makes sense to train them from Day 1 on that vehicle and build up their experience and in turn confidence up until their first day on the job as a solo driver,  it means when they make the switch to a Streetdeck or whatever they do so as a more confident driver, surely that helps and creates a better employee and customer experience?

Certainly makes more sense than having them do training on ex Nat Ex coaches or whatever tat in the fleet is going free
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Storx   09 Jan 2024, 2:35 pm
(08 Jan 2024, 10:48 pm)Ambassador wrote You know I love to criticise the Bensham Boys but…this makes sense

The new drivers are erm… varying in skill shall we say.

If the Streetlite is your vehicle of choice and what a new driver is likely to experience, it surely makes sense to train them from Day 1 on that vehicle and build up their experience and in turn confidence up until their first day on the job as a solo driver,  it means when they make the switch to a Streetdeck or whatever they do so as a more confident driver, surely that helps and creates a better employee and customer experience?

Certainly makes more sense than having them do training on ex Nat Ex coaches or whatever tat in the fleet is going free

Opposite way would make more sense surely? 

Training them on an older vehicles gets them experience with the issues with an older vehicle. If you train them on new vehicles, then when they eventually get into the driver's seat and have to drive a 15 year old ex London cast off, they're aware of the technical limitations. 

With that training, then getting in a modern vehicle without the issues should be a breeze. Rather than the opposite of being used to a vehicle with perfect gearing then being dumped into something which isn't etc.
streetdeckfan   09 Jan 2024, 3:04 pm
(09 Jan 2024, 2:35 pm)Storx wrote Opposite way would make more sense surely? 

Training them on an older vehicles gets them experience with the issues with an older vehicle. If you train them on new vehicles, then when they eventually get into the driver's seat and have to drive a 15 year old ex London cast off, they're aware of the technical limitations. 

With that training, then getting in a modern vehicle without the issues should be a breeze. Rather than the opposite of being used to a vehicle with perfect gearing then being dumped into something which isn't etc.

Don't they have to go through familiarisation training for new vehicles though?
So training them on the Streetlite from the start reduces the need for any additional training if that's what they're going to be sent out on anyway
Storx   09 Jan 2024, 5:13 pm
(09 Jan 2024, 3:04 pm)streetdeckfan wrote Don't they have to go through familiarisation training for new vehicles though?
So training them on the Streetlite from the start reduces the need for any additional training if that's what they're going to be sent out on anyway

Guess it depends what they're going out on, I believe B9's without going on a counting spree are the most used type of vehicle aren't they and I think every depot has them now.

There's plenty ancient ones like the 57 plates etc which could be ideal for it. Plus it's a big bus for advertising stuff on aswell when they're tootling around wherever.
Rapidsnap   09 Jan 2024, 10:53 pm
Best call the exterminator into Riverside since there is a few black and yellow stripey Streetlites starting to nest in the depot yard.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Dan   10 Jan 2024, 3:48 am
(09 Jan 2024, 5:13 pm)Storx wrote Guess it depends what they're going out on, I believe B9's without going on a counting spree are the most used type of vehicle aren't they and I think every depot has them now.

There's plenty ancient ones like the 57 plates etc which could be ideal for it. Plus it's a big bus for advertising stuff on aswell when they're tootling around wherever.

But training in a short wheelbase double-deck is hardly the best idea to ensure drivers are capable and ready for the roads - they are easier to drive than a full-size single-deck. Great way of increasing your pass rate though.

So, looking at full-size single-decks - what’s the most common bus in GNE’s fleet?

Rob44   10 Jan 2024, 9:35 am
(10 Jan 2024, 3:48 am)Dan wrote But training in a short wheelbase double-deck is hardly the best idea to ensure drivers are capable and ready for the roads - they are easier to drive than a full-size single-deck. Great way of increasing your pass rate though.

So, looking at full-size single-decks - what’s the most common bus in GNE’s fleet?

Whatever London sends us?

Or/and

Whatever GNW or oxford dont want?
F114TML   10 Jan 2024, 10:19 am
Tbh, it doesn't really matter what you pass your test in. I passed my test in a MAN ALX300, but most of my confidence issues when I first passed were not related to the fact the bus I was driving was built by Scania or Dennis, it was the fact it's a bus with lots of people on.

Having learners in StreetLites just means they don't need to be familiarised on StreetLites, although having said that I have heard that vehicle familiarisation at GNE just consists of long bus, short bus and tall bus, unlike here where new starters get a good 20-odd minutes drive in each type of vehicle* along with a tour of the cab.

You could also argue that, as a professional driver, you should be able to get into the cab of any bus and familiarise yourself with the controls.

* It also doesn't eliminate a need to familiarise on a StreetDeck anyway. I haven't driven either but I'll bet they drive differently to the Lite, if the Enviro family are anything to go by,
ne14ne1   10 Jan 2024, 7:53 pm
6973 on the 27:
https://flic.kr/p/2prFh6V
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Unber43   10 Jan 2024, 10:05 pm
(10 Jan 2024, 10:19 am)F114TML wrote Tbh, it doesn't really matter what you pass your test in. I passed my test in a MAN ALX300, but most of my confidence issues when I first passed were not related to the fact the bus I was driving was built by Scania or Dennis, it was the fact it's a bus with lots of people on.

Having learners in StreetLites just means they don't need to be familiarised on StreetLites, although having said that I have heard that vehicle familiarisation at GNE just consists of long bus, short bus and tall bus, unlike here where new starters get a good 20-odd minutes drive in each type of vehicle* along with a tour of the cab.

You could also argue that, as a professional driver, you should be able to get into the cab of any bus and familiarise yourself with the controls.

* It also doesn't eliminate a need to familiarise on a StreetDeck anyway. I haven't driven either but I'll bet they drive differently to the Lite, if the Enviro family are anything to go by,
When there was a Green Arrow at Deptford I got it on the 61A and the driver was just so confused for ages about to make sure eveyrhuing was on as the bus had been completely turned off
54APhotography   11 Jan 2024, 8:21 am
(08 Jan 2024, 12:25 pm)Dan wrote Since when were Go North East answerable to enthusiasts on this forum?!

Who is to say that the seats and USB chargers currently in those Streetlites will remain in them? Who is to say there isn’t a plan?

The fan boys are usually quick to reply, nobody demands an answer, just clear one wasn't forthcoming.

You can take the seats out with USB's in anytime, but if you don't rewire the vehicle they're going in, they won't work.
Rapidsnap   11 Jan 2024, 5:46 pm
According to SKM X (twitter) feed that Olympus's 6968/69/71 are staying at EYMS and have been numbered 930-932. Wonder if anything is coming in their place or we just going to have gaps in the fleetnumbers again for the time being.
busmanT   11 Jan 2024, 6:08 pm
(09 Jan 2024, 5:13 pm)Storx wrote Guess it depends what they're going out on, I believe B9's without going on a counting spree are the most used type of vehicle aren't they and I think every depot has them now.

Driver training buses have to be a minimum of 10 metres long and capable of a minimum of 50 mph by law.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Storx   11 Jan 2024, 6:24 pm
(11 Jan 2024, 6:08 pm)busmanT wrote Driver training buses have to be a minimum of 10 metres long and capable of a minimum of 50 mph by law.

Obviously GNE have chosen to go with single deckers as that's what they chose was best, focusing on the extra metre or so, but the B9's are 10.4m in length at least.

Arriva have double decker trainers in the North East, nevermind in London where it's all they have pretty much.

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Go-Ahead_London - The lengths are on there.
Rapidsnap   11 Jan 2024, 6:32 pm
Speaking of minimum lengths, it reminds me of when First Western National decided to extend an Optare StarRider bodied Mercedes Benz 811D with larger bumpers at the front and rear to ensure it reached the legal limit for driver training vehicles. A photo of it can be found here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/capuchinoking/51134573890
Dan   11 Jan 2024, 6:59 pm
(11 Jan 2024, 8:21 am)54APhotography wrote The fan boys are usually quick to reply, nobody demands an answer, just clear one wasn't forthcoming.

You can take the seats out with USB's in anytime, but if you don't rewire the vehicle they're going in, they won't work.

I’m guessing they are wise enough to know that they need to undertake the necessary electrical work too…

mb134   11 Jan 2024, 7:37 pm
(11 Jan 2024, 6:08 pm)busmanT wrote Driver training buses have to be a minimum of 10 metres long and capable of a minimum of 50 mph by law.

You'd think, given the nature of GNE's network and how often they move vehicles around, that they'd want all of the service fleet to be able to do 50 mph too...

Imagine what new starters think after training in a vehicle capable of 50 mph, then being slapped onto an express with some ex-London decker that can barely do 40!
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Shrek   11 Jan 2024, 7:43 pm
(11 Jan 2024, 6:59 pm)Dan wrote I’m guessing they are wise enough to know that they need to undertake the necessary electrical work too…

Time and time again GNE surprise us with their ineptitude. Can you guarantee they're wise enough or are you just guessing and hoping?
streetdeckfan   11 Jan 2024, 8:00 pm
(11 Jan 2024, 5:46 pm)Rapidsnap wrote According to SKM X (twitter) feed that Olympus's 6968/69/71 are staying at EYMS and have been numbered 930-932. Wonder if anything is coming in their place or we just going to have gaps in the fleetnumbers again for the time being.
Maybe they're just to embarrassed to have 6969 in the fleet, and it would have been too obvious missing it out, so they had to bin off a few more around so it didn't look suspicious.

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk
logidoodah   12 Jan 2024, 12:10 am
(21 Dec 2023, 6:45 pm)Andreos1 wrote I'm glad it's not just me who spotted this. 

Imagine travelling from Chester le Street to Quorum in the car normally and then deciding to follow the guidance in parking the car in the Metrocentre and then paying to sit on a bus in to the town and then struggle on changing bus to get to Quorum.
Throw in a handful of people doing a similar journey, but from Washington or Wrekenton and it really rams home how daft this proposal is. 

Then throw in the mix all those people traveling north to south. How does it work for them? 

Regardless of that, I'm baffled as to how the funding is actually being utilised and who approved it. 
If the bus was free, then I can see where some of the money is going. 
As it stands, it just looks like it's paying to hire the car parking space.

(11 Jan 2024, 7:37 pm)mb134 wrote You'd think, given the nature of GNE's network and how often they move vehicles around, that they'd want all of the service fleet to be able to do 50 mph too...

Imagine what new starters think after training in a vehicle capable of 50 mph, then being slapped onto an express with some ex-London decker that can barely do 40!

I was on 6970 on the 58 earlier. It is a terrible bus and was struggling even on the not steep bits.
ne14ne1   26 Jan 2024, 8:23 pm
Update on the ex GAL Blue Triangle e400s:

https://x.com/atyldsley/status/1750967912096026968?s=46&t=tPuGEygnn6BhKgNFiA4yAw
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Michael   26 Jan 2024, 8:32 pm
(26 Jan 2024, 8:23 pm)ne14ne1 wrote Update on the ex GAL Blue Triangle e400s:

https://x.com/atyldsley/status/1750967912096026968?s=46&t=tPuGEygnn6BhKgNFiA4yAw

Wonder what these will replace?

How many are arriving?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Ambassador   26 Jan 2024, 9:43 pm
(26 Jan 2024, 8:32 pm)Michael wrote Wonder what these will replace?

How many are arriving?

Possibly the Omnidekkas that are holding on? Though you’d hope they aren’t allocated to anything too hilly or requiring any sort of well…speed

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
NL62WVW   26 Jan 2024, 9:44 pm
Sure I seen somewhere on here they were to replace the hybrids at Consett
Unber43   26 Jan 2024, 9:45 pm
Yeah to repalce the 16/16A I think, not sure whats going on the X5/X15.

Theyre going to be worst than the hybrids
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Ambassador   26 Jan 2024, 10:29 pm
I have full confidence they’ll be as pacy around the terrain of Consett as 6062 was…in that field

Yet more cheap tat. The only vague advantage the horrible cheap interior the London buses have is they have fairly decent legroom vs a streetdeck
Unber43   26 Jan 2024, 10:37 pm
They should be re-trimmed and get USBs
Pages (20)    114 15 1620