Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure North East BSIP: £804 Million Pound Plan For North East Buses

North East BSIP: £804 Million Pound Plan For North East Buses

North East BSIP: £804 Million Pound Plan For North East Buses

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (14) Previous 111 12 13 14 Next
12 Aug 2023, 1:14 am #221
(10 Aug 2023, 10:31 pm)mb134 Has it happened at all since you'd mentioned it on here? 

I've noticed the GPS on certain vehicles/Ticketer machines seem to be slightly different. On the way home my bus generally stops at a traffic lighted junction just before my stop, and occasionally the reader activates there which allows me to tap off while the bus is stopped there and just walk off the bus once it pulls up to the stop, however most readers don't activate until the bus is pulling up to/at the stop. I'm assuming this is a difference between different ticket machines, but I've not been bothered enough to remember if it's always the same vehicle(s) to confirm it.

Since the road works at Tindale finished and the normal stop has been back in action, I haven't had any issues with it.

All drivers I've dealt with now seem to understand the existence of ToTo which is very much an improvement of when it first rolled out!

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
12 Aug 2023, 1:14 am #221

(10 Aug 2023, 10:31 pm)mb134 Has it happened at all since you'd mentioned it on here? 

I've noticed the GPS on certain vehicles/Ticketer machines seem to be slightly different. On the way home my bus generally stops at a traffic lighted junction just before my stop, and occasionally the reader activates there which allows me to tap off while the bus is stopped there and just walk off the bus once it pulls up to the stop, however most readers don't activate until the bus is pulling up to/at the stop. I'm assuming this is a difference between different ticket machines, but I've not been bothered enough to remember if it's always the same vehicle(s) to confirm it.

Since the road works at Tindale finished and the normal stop has been back in action, I haven't had any issues with it.

All drivers I've dealt with now seem to understand the existence of ToTo which is very much an improvement of when it first rolled out!

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

Unber43

25 Aug 2023, 10:36 pm #222
In the 3 years this is running for ending in March they haven't done a lot really, a few new buses for 9 routes, and reduced fares for young adults for less than a year
Unber43
25 Aug 2023, 10:36 pm #222

In the 3 years this is running for ending in March they haven't done a lot really, a few new buses for 9 routes, and reduced fares for young adults for less than a year

Michael

08 Sep 2023, 7:32 pm #223
Any updates on the electric buses for Sunderland?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
08 Sep 2023, 7:32 pm #223

Any updates on the electric buses for Sunderland?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Unber43

04 Oct 2023, 8:22 pm #224
£2 fare has been extended till December 2024..I think, so what about the £1/day tickets
Unber43
04 Oct 2023, 8:22 pm #224

£2 fare has been extended till December 2024..I think, so what about the £1/day tickets

04 Oct 2023, 9:38 pm #225
(04 Oct 2023, 8:22 pm)Unber43 £2 fare has been extended till December 2024..I think, so what about the £1/day tickets

Different things, £2 is government, £1 and day tickets were TNE and were suppose to be permanent.
deanmachine
04 Oct 2023, 9:38 pm #225

(04 Oct 2023, 8:22 pm)Unber43 £2 fare has been extended till December 2024..I think, so what about the £1/day tickets

Different things, £2 is government, £1 and day tickets were TNE and were suppose to be permanent.

Adrian

04 Oct 2023, 9:41 pm #226
And the TNE 19 and under day ticket is the £3 ticket.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
04 Oct 2023, 9:41 pm #226

And the TNE 19 and under day ticket is the £3 ticket.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

08 Oct 2023, 8:52 pm #227
(04 Oct 2023, 9:41 pm)Adrian And the TNE 19 and under day ticket is the £3 ticket.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapat

Correction - 21 & Under
logidoodah
08 Oct 2023, 8:52 pm #227

(04 Oct 2023, 9:41 pm)Adrian And the TNE 19 and under day ticket is the £3 ticket.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapat

Correction - 21 & Under

Storx

24 Feb 2024, 10:17 am #228
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...n-28692629

Good to see more good use of this money by upgrading traffic lights along Barrack Road and Scotswood Road where there's massive delays to buses every day, hang on... It's very strange that the traffic lights along both these roads are conveniently old though...

Utter joke. Another £6.5m spent on everything but buses. I'm still waiting for one bus infrastructure upgrade, literally anywhere, which isn't a pointless bus station.
Edited 24 Feb 2024, 10:22 am by Storx.
Storx
24 Feb 2024, 10:17 am #228

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...n-28692629

Good to see more good use of this money by upgrading traffic lights along Barrack Road and Scotswood Road where there's massive delays to buses every day, hang on... It's very strange that the traffic lights along both these roads are conveniently old though...

Utter joke. Another £6.5m spent on everything but buses. I'm still waiting for one bus infrastructure upgrade, literally anywhere, which isn't a pointless bus station.

V514DFT

24 Feb 2024, 5:24 pm #229
(24 Feb 2024, 10:17 am)Storx https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...n-28692629

And they'll take ages to "upgrade" them, then run out of money half way through i bet ya

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
24 Feb 2024, 5:24 pm #229

(24 Feb 2024, 10:17 am)Storx https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...n-28692629

And they'll take ages to "upgrade" them, then run out of money half way through i bet ya

Kind Regards
Tez

24 Feb 2024, 5:28 pm #230

There's not much point, because when they build bus infrastructure they never give buses any more priority. Gateshead High Street, a new trafflic light for me to wait at, Gateshead Askew Road, another traffic light for me to wait at, Sunderland Southwick Road, a traffic light for me to wait at that doesn't even change after 8pm, Sunderland Bedford Street/John Street, a bunch of traffic lights just slowing buses down with no priority for them. 

I could probably go on, but the planners have seemingly no idea where the problems are, and us bus drivers have never been asked where we think the bottlenecks are.
deanmachine
24 Feb 2024, 5:28 pm #230

There's not much point, because when they build bus infrastructure they never give buses any more priority. Gateshead High Street, a new trafflic light for me to wait at, Gateshead Askew Road, another traffic light for me to wait at, Sunderland Southwick Road, a traffic light for me to wait at that doesn't even change after 8pm, Sunderland Bedford Street/John Street, a bunch of traffic lights just slowing buses down with no priority for them. 

I could probably go on, but the planners have seemingly no idea where the problems are, and us bus drivers have never been asked where we think the bottlenecks are.

Storx

24 Feb 2024, 7:39 pm #231
(24 Feb 2024, 5:24 pm)V514DFT And they'll take ages to "upgrade" them, then run out of money half way through i bet ya

No doubt they'll somehow make them worse aswell. Mind if it's anything like North Shields and Byker currently they'll have 4 way traffic lights causing absolute chaos.

(24 Feb 2024, 5:28 pm)deanmachine There's not much point, because when they build bus infrastructure they never give buses any more priority. Gateshead High Street, a new trafflic light for me to wait at, Gateshead Askew Road, another traffic light for me to wait at, Sunderland Southwick Road, a traffic light for me to wait at that doesn't even change after 8pm, Sunderland Bedford Street/John Street, a bunch of traffic lights just slowing buses down with no priority for them. 

Aye not surprised at all, there seems to be a complete obsession with the things lately.

I'm not sure how the bus priority works at them, but personally I'm really confused how that would work along on all 3 routes mentioned here considering none of them have a bus lane. How can you let a bus through, if it's stuck behind a car, just sounds like some complete bs to me as an excuse to use bus funding to do them instead.

It's same with this stuff about setting them up to improve flow, yet you go along somewhere like Scotswood Road and you'll get stuck at every set of lights which suggests to be they're not setup right - at all.
Storx
24 Feb 2024, 7:39 pm #231

(24 Feb 2024, 5:24 pm)V514DFT And they'll take ages to "upgrade" them, then run out of money half way through i bet ya

No doubt they'll somehow make them worse aswell. Mind if it's anything like North Shields and Byker currently they'll have 4 way traffic lights causing absolute chaos.

(24 Feb 2024, 5:28 pm)deanmachine There's not much point, because when they build bus infrastructure they never give buses any more priority. Gateshead High Street, a new trafflic light for me to wait at, Gateshead Askew Road, another traffic light for me to wait at, Sunderland Southwick Road, a traffic light for me to wait at that doesn't even change after 8pm, Sunderland Bedford Street/John Street, a bunch of traffic lights just slowing buses down with no priority for them. 

Aye not surprised at all, there seems to be a complete obsession with the things lately.

I'm not sure how the bus priority works at them, but personally I'm really confused how that would work along on all 3 routes mentioned here considering none of them have a bus lane. How can you let a bus through, if it's stuck behind a car, just sounds like some complete bs to me as an excuse to use bus funding to do them instead.

It's same with this stuff about setting them up to improve flow, yet you go along somewhere like Scotswood Road and you'll get stuck at every set of lights which suggests to be they're not setup right - at all.

Ambassador

24 Feb 2024, 8:09 pm #232
The improvements to Gateshead are much worse,

Heading into town you get caught on before turning onto Askew Road, then held for ages at the Askew junction with wellington street then held again at the Tyne bridge then inevitably the pedestrian crossing is on red.
Edited 24 Feb 2024, 8:10 pm by Ambassador.
Ambassador
24 Feb 2024, 8:09 pm #232

The improvements to Gateshead are much worse,

Heading into town you get caught on before turning onto Askew Road, then held for ages at the Askew junction with wellington street then held again at the Tyne bridge then inevitably the pedestrian crossing is on red.

Andreos1

13 Mar 2024, 1:27 pm #233
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68543962

Interesting reading.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
13 Mar 2024, 1:27 pm #233

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68543962

Interesting reading.

Adrian

13 Mar 2024, 7:12 pm #234
(13 Mar 2024, 1:27 pm)Andreos1 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68543962

Interesting reading.

Not surprising though. 

It comes back to the never-ending chicken and egg situation. Too many cars on the road creating congestion, but public transport isn't good enough nor has the capacity to handle a sudden modal shift. 

There's a good opportunity to impress with the upcoming Tyne Bridge works, which hopefully would encourage some modal shift if the experience is positive, but I fear it'll be the opposite.

Adrian
13 Mar 2024, 7:12 pm #234

Interesting reading.

Not surprising though. 

It comes back to the never-ending chicken and egg situation. Too many cars on the road creating congestion, but public transport isn't good enough nor has the capacity to handle a sudden modal shift. 

There's a good opportunity to impress with the upcoming Tyne Bridge works, which hopefully would encourage some modal shift if the experience is positive, but I fear it'll be the opposite.

mb134

14 Mar 2024, 12:42 pm #235

Interesting reading.

Notice in other reports of this that Arriva Yorkshire are listed as the worst in the survey. 

Obviously the management of Arriva NE and Yorkshire is the same now, clearly the person in charge isn't very good at their job given the decline of ANE as well.
Edited 14 Mar 2024, 12:44 pm by mb134.
mb134
14 Mar 2024, 12:42 pm #235

Interesting reading.

Notice in other reports of this that Arriva Yorkshire are listed as the worst in the survey. 

Obviously the management of Arriva NE and Yorkshire is the same now, clearly the person in charge isn't very good at their job given the decline of ANE as well.

DeltaMan

15 Mar 2024, 10:38 am #236
“Passengers who sat next to someone they didn’t know are significantly less satisfied than those who didn’t.”

Yeah, the industry is never going to keep new customers if that is what it's own customers think. There is no avoiding that one. It's the ultimate reason why a meaningful shift to public transport will simply not happen.
Edited 15 Mar 2024, 10:40 am by DeltaMan.
DeltaMan
15 Mar 2024, 10:38 am #236

“Passengers who sat next to someone they didn’t know are significantly less satisfied than those who didn’t.”

Yeah, the industry is never going to keep new customers if that is what it's own customers think. There is no avoiding that one. It's the ultimate reason why a meaningful shift to public transport will simply not happen.

Adrian

15 Mar 2024, 11:52 am #237
(15 Mar 2024, 10:38 am)DeltaMan “Passengers who sat next to someone they didn’t know are significantly less satisfied than those who didn’t.”

I think that one has to be taken in context though. This tends to only ever happen on really busy to crowded buses, and I'd say most of us are naturally more dissatisfied when on one of them. You add to this that when buses are that busy, and aren't express services, they tend to run late as it takes longer for people to board and alight.

I'm not suggesting everyone needs their own private bus or anything like that, but buses aren't the most comfortable mode of transport when busy, especially versus say a train or plane. It's even worst still when you end up with people standing over you. 

In my opinion, there's some practical and proactive steps that operators do to try and combat some of this. For a start, better regulation of late running services is key. To give an example, only last week I was in Newcastle, and there was a queue right back through the bus station for the X1. Half an hour's worth of passengers, as both the 18.11 and 18.26 were arriving at the same time. Instead of the late bus taking passengers for Washington only (for example) directly to Washington NIS, then starting back on time from there, we ended up with one bus packed, another with barely any on, bunny hopping each other all the way to the Galleries. The result? Two buses running late, instead of potentially having both running on time.

Adrian
15 Mar 2024, 11:52 am #237

(15 Mar 2024, 10:38 am)DeltaMan “Passengers who sat next to someone they didn’t know are significantly less satisfied than those who didn’t.”

I think that one has to be taken in context though. This tends to only ever happen on really busy to crowded buses, and I'd say most of us are naturally more dissatisfied when on one of them. You add to this that when buses are that busy, and aren't express services, they tend to run late as it takes longer for people to board and alight.

I'm not suggesting everyone needs their own private bus or anything like that, but buses aren't the most comfortable mode of transport when busy, especially versus say a train or plane. It's even worst still when you end up with people standing over you. 

In my opinion, there's some practical and proactive steps that operators do to try and combat some of this. For a start, better regulation of late running services is key. To give an example, only last week I was in Newcastle, and there was a queue right back through the bus station for the X1. Half an hour's worth of passengers, as both the 18.11 and 18.26 were arriving at the same time. Instead of the late bus taking passengers for Washington only (for example) directly to Washington NIS, then starting back on time from there, we ended up with one bus packed, another with barely any on, bunny hopping each other all the way to the Galleries. The result? Two buses running late, instead of potentially having both running on time.

citaro5284

15 Mar 2024, 6:27 pm #238
Nexus need to spend some cash on the seats at Haymarket, they are in a poor state and the one with red and white tape on with a sticker saying do not sit here on Stand V has been like that for a while now.
citaro5284
15 Mar 2024, 6:27 pm #238

Nexus need to spend some cash on the seats at Haymarket, they are in a poor state and the one with red and white tape on with a sticker saying do not sit here on Stand V has been like that for a while now.

F114TML

16 Mar 2024, 8:28 am #239
(15 Mar 2024, 11:52 am)Adrian I think that one has to be taken in context though. This tends to only ever happen on really busy to crowded buses, and I'd say most of us are naturally more dissatisfied when on one of them. You add to this that when buses are that busy, and aren't express services, they tend to run late as it takes longer for people to board and alight.

That second bus would still likely run late, as it'd then be picking up two bus loads of people between newcastle and washington, likely with the driver getting a nice earful at every stop too.
F114TML
16 Mar 2024, 8:28 am #239

(15 Mar 2024, 11:52 am)Adrian I think that one has to be taken in context though. This tends to only ever happen on really busy to crowded buses, and I'd say most of us are naturally more dissatisfied when on one of them. You add to this that when buses are that busy, and aren't express services, they tend to run late as it takes longer for people to board and alight.

That second bus would still likely run late, as it'd then be picking up two bus loads of people between newcastle and washington, likely with the driver getting a nice earful at every stop too.

Andreos1

18 Mar 2024, 2:53 pm #240
Punters on Radio Newcastle page have their say on the new middle of the night airport service. 
https://www.facebook.com/share/KYkVbs5aStytQyLe

/

Andreos1
18 Mar 2024, 2:53 pm #240

Punters on Radio Newcastle page have their say on the new middle of the night airport service. 
https://www.facebook.com/share/KYkVbs5aStytQyLe

/

Pages (14) Previous 111 12 13 14 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average