Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average

Pages (40) Previous 19 10 1140 Next
S813 FVK

07 Apr 2014, 3:38 pm #181
(07 Apr 2014, 12:43 pm)Arcticrossy92 it seems a few times recently theres been a 'Yellow Bus' on the X30/X31, just noticed one before heading towards Lanchester.

For me personally, it seems abit strange that low floor vehicles are being withdrawn from service, yet step entrance deckers, only a small amount of the time, appear on services at Stanley.

I understand that these buses are used for contract purposed etc, but surely making sure they dont appear on a front line services is a must and im Sure management would maybe frown upon this.

Although they are great powerful machines, it just seems strange, Unless Stanley are having a few problems. Im sure i read something on here not long ago about a few problems with the Diamond Citaros.

No red deckers have been withdrawn from Stanley although im pretty sure one of the red deckers is currently VOR due to it being involved in an accident last week so it may possibly explain it.
S813 FVK
07 Apr 2014, 3:38 pm #181

(07 Apr 2014, 12:43 pm)Arcticrossy92 it seems a few times recently theres been a 'Yellow Bus' on the X30/X31, just noticed one before heading towards Lanchester.

For me personally, it seems abit strange that low floor vehicles are being withdrawn from service, yet step entrance deckers, only a small amount of the time, appear on services at Stanley.

I understand that these buses are used for contract purposed etc, but surely making sure they dont appear on a front line services is a must and im Sure management would maybe frown upon this.

Although they are great powerful machines, it just seems strange, Unless Stanley are having a few problems. Im sure i read something on here not long ago about a few problems with the Diamond Citaros.

No red deckers have been withdrawn from Stanley although im pretty sure one of the red deckers is currently VOR due to it being involved in an accident last week so it may possibly explain it.

07 Apr 2014, 3:56 pm #182
GNE haven't done too badly with the X3 and X36. All they've simply done is take a leaf out of one service whilst using the strengths of another service to form a sustainable and profitable service. Here's what I mean:

Before November 2010 changes:
- 75 = Good service but too slow by serving High Farm from Coast and not frequent enough.
- 76 = Not frequent enough, more journeys wanted west of Middle Engine Lane.
- 85 / 86 = Circular service not getting enough demand
- 1/2 = Not getting enough demand between North Shields and Whitley Bay
- 309 = Operating too much in Arriva's turf. Needs to establish itself in its own market.

Result of the above:
- 1/2 = Uses old 85/86 route between Shields anx Whitley Bay to create and stabilise links and routes at a profit.
- 309 = Enters its own market and uses strengths of 75 but removes the inconvenience of High Farm.
- 310 = Still holds links of 85/86 and continues to uphold links and service of old 75/76 service. New strong combined frequency formed in Battle Hill resulting in increased demand.
- Service 80 rerouted to fill void on Westminster Avenue and to also reopen up some of the link lost after the 337 was withdrawn by Arriva.
Davey Bowyer
07 Apr 2014, 3:56 pm #182

GNE haven't done too badly with the X3 and X36. All they've simply done is take a leaf out of one service whilst using the strengths of another service to form a sustainable and profitable service. Here's what I mean:

Before November 2010 changes:
- 75 = Good service but too slow by serving High Farm from Coast and not frequent enough.
- 76 = Not frequent enough, more journeys wanted west of Middle Engine Lane.
- 85 / 86 = Circular service not getting enough demand
- 1/2 = Not getting enough demand between North Shields and Whitley Bay
- 309 = Operating too much in Arriva's turf. Needs to establish itself in its own market.

Result of the above:
- 1/2 = Uses old 85/86 route between Shields anx Whitley Bay to create and stabilise links and routes at a profit.
- 309 = Enters its own market and uses strengths of 75 but removes the inconvenience of High Farm.
- 310 = Still holds links of 85/86 and continues to uphold links and service of old 75/76 service. New strong combined frequency formed in Battle Hill resulting in increased demand.
- Service 80 rerouted to fill void on Westminster Avenue and to also reopen up some of the link lost after the 337 was withdrawn by Arriva.

Adrian

07 Apr 2014, 4:26 pm #183
(07 Apr 2014, 12:25 pm)Dan Slightly disappointed that BuzzFare and Get Around tickets aren't accepted, but it was the inevitable I guess.

Yea I'd assume GNE have little control over the fares? I do think they should be paying the customer £15 quid (not the other way round!) to suffer over 2 hours of travel on an MPD mind. Tongue

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
07 Apr 2014, 4:26 pm #183

(07 Apr 2014, 12:25 pm)Dan Slightly disappointed that BuzzFare and Get Around tickets aren't accepted, but it was the inevitable I guess.

Yea I'd assume GNE have little control over the fares? I do think they should be paying the customer £15 quid (not the other way round!) to suffer over 2 hours of travel on an MPD mind. Tongue

S813 FVK

07 Apr 2014, 4:27 pm #184
The 'Hadrians Wall Country Bus' brand has been added to the page with all of the brands on the Go North East Website.
S813 FVK
07 Apr 2014, 4:27 pm #184

The 'Hadrians Wall Country Bus' brand has been added to the page with all of the brands on the Go North East Website.

Andreos1

07 Apr 2014, 4:42 pm #185
Just to add some thoughts on a few points raised.

The x3 is a strange service.
It was doomed to fail from the beginning - seeing as every other Newcastle - Sunderland bus along Newcastle Road had failed both before and after the Metro was extended.
Not sure passenger habit had changed too much to warrant the service.
Now, it seems to carry less than ever and misses out Sunderland City Centre (which we have all discussed to death).

Surely it would be more cost effective, to cancel it completely, or adapt it slightly - serving Southwick and running up to Fullwell Mill towards Newcastle and the same in reverse. Or if missing the City Centre, working some sort of loop via Fulwell, Roker, Monkwearmouth, Southwick, Fullwell Mill.

The fare structure on the ad122 is disappointing.
Anyone needing to use it from beyond Hexham (Tyneside, Wearside, Durham etc) will incur additional charges just to get to Hexham.
A family ticket, will essentially double the cost of a family buzzfare - meaning for those with a car, it could be cheaper driving up to Housteads etc, rather than sit on 2-3 buses just to get to Hexham, hoik about a picnic all day and pay £25 for the privilege.
Edited 07 Apr 2014, 5:29 pm by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
07 Apr 2014, 4:42 pm #185

Just to add some thoughts on a few points raised.

The x3 is a strange service.
It was doomed to fail from the beginning - seeing as every other Newcastle - Sunderland bus along Newcastle Road had failed both before and after the Metro was extended.
Not sure passenger habit had changed too much to warrant the service.
Now, it seems to carry less than ever and misses out Sunderland City Centre (which we have all discussed to death).

Surely it would be more cost effective, to cancel it completely, or adapt it slightly - serving Southwick and running up to Fullwell Mill towards Newcastle and the same in reverse. Or if missing the City Centre, working some sort of loop via Fulwell, Roker, Monkwearmouth, Southwick, Fullwell Mill.

The fare structure on the ad122 is disappointing.
Anyone needing to use it from beyond Hexham (Tyneside, Wearside, Durham etc) will incur additional charges just to get to Hexham.
A family ticket, will essentially double the cost of a family buzzfare - meaning for those with a car, it could be cheaper driving up to Housteads etc, rather than sit on 2-3 buses just to get to Hexham, hoik about a picnic all day and pay £25 for the privilege.

Adrian

07 Apr 2014, 4:45 pm #186
(07 Apr 2014, 3:03 pm)Dan I honestly don't get why there is such a huge uproar about the X3. I mean, these service changes have been in place for two and a half months and I'd have assumed that would be enough time for people to get over it, but crikey...

Because Go North East also introduced service X36 on a higher frequency, nothing major has changed for passengers travelling between Sunderland City Centre and Boldon, Heworth, Gateshead or Newcastle.

Comparing the old X3 to the current X36, there is not much of a difference in journey times. Although the journey time has increased a little, I find that the X36 timetable is a lot easier to stick to. In addition to this, an increased layover has been given to drivers in Sunderland owing to the interworking of services X35 and X36. The most notable change is that service X36 is now allocated different stock to what was previously allocated to service X3. These vehicles are newer, and this should also assist with reliability. These vehicles are branded and this immediately pushes service X36 up the route hierarchy (generally speaking, branded services are more of a priority than corporate liveried services).

The only people who have a right to complain are the ones who boarded the service between Seaburn Metro and West Boldon (Addison Road - near the Post Office). These people have lost their direct service to Heworth, Gateshead and Newcastle - though the passenger numbers were incredibly low on this section anyway, hardly any of which were fare paying customers. They still have service X3, but to most it will be pointless. They also have service 9 which now runs at a higher frequency, and can take them to Boldon ASDA, connecting to an X36. I agree that connecting to another bus isn't as appealing, but it is still relatively easy to get to the places they could before.

Simply put, service X3 exists for operational convenience. It interworks with scholars which means that Go North East don't have to have the scholar service as a standalone service. I've said before that I think it'll be withdrawn when we get to the summer holidays. Whether Go North East drop the scholar(s) that the X3 currently interworks with when it comes to September, or whether they will look at a different way of fitting it in, I don't know.

If passenger numbers weren't 'a joke' on service X3 previously, it would still exist in its previous form now. Go North East are a business, and services have to make a profit. Much like other industries, the product is quite often discontinued if it isn't making a profit.

It's not just me sick of hearing about the X3 and Arriva's X93 then?

The X3 has been a failure ever since it started. I'm really surprised it's lasted this long. I used to use the service every other day, at different times of the day, for a few month. I generally had the bus to myself from Sunderland until Heworth, where you'd get a few waiting for the next bus between Heworth and Newcastle, regardless of what it was.

The problem with connections though is that it forces customers to buy a day ticket, unless they're regular users. I'd say this decreases the appeal of public transport for occasional users. We've already got ticket overload in the North East, but perhaps there needs to be ticketing options available to take into account connections, i.e. the old A to B/Bus2Bus tickets.

Adrian
07 Apr 2014, 4:45 pm #186

(07 Apr 2014, 3:03 pm)Dan I honestly don't get why there is such a huge uproar about the X3. I mean, these service changes have been in place for two and a half months and I'd have assumed that would be enough time for people to get over it, but crikey...

Because Go North East also introduced service X36 on a higher frequency, nothing major has changed for passengers travelling between Sunderland City Centre and Boldon, Heworth, Gateshead or Newcastle.

Comparing the old X3 to the current X36, there is not much of a difference in journey times. Although the journey time has increased a little, I find that the X36 timetable is a lot easier to stick to. In addition to this, an increased layover has been given to drivers in Sunderland owing to the interworking of services X35 and X36. The most notable change is that service X36 is now allocated different stock to what was previously allocated to service X3. These vehicles are newer, and this should also assist with reliability. These vehicles are branded and this immediately pushes service X36 up the route hierarchy (generally speaking, branded services are more of a priority than corporate liveried services).

The only people who have a right to complain are the ones who boarded the service between Seaburn Metro and West Boldon (Addison Road - near the Post Office). These people have lost their direct service to Heworth, Gateshead and Newcastle - though the passenger numbers were incredibly low on this section anyway, hardly any of which were fare paying customers. They still have service X3, but to most it will be pointless. They also have service 9 which now runs at a higher frequency, and can take them to Boldon ASDA, connecting to an X36. I agree that connecting to another bus isn't as appealing, but it is still relatively easy to get to the places they could before.

Simply put, service X3 exists for operational convenience. It interworks with scholars which means that Go North East don't have to have the scholar service as a standalone service. I've said before that I think it'll be withdrawn when we get to the summer holidays. Whether Go North East drop the scholar(s) that the X3 currently interworks with when it comes to September, or whether they will look at a different way of fitting it in, I don't know.

If passenger numbers weren't 'a joke' on service X3 previously, it would still exist in its previous form now. Go North East are a business, and services have to make a profit. Much like other industries, the product is quite often discontinued if it isn't making a profit.

It's not just me sick of hearing about the X3 and Arriva's X93 then?

The X3 has been a failure ever since it started. I'm really surprised it's lasted this long. I used to use the service every other day, at different times of the day, for a few month. I generally had the bus to myself from Sunderland until Heworth, where you'd get a few waiting for the next bus between Heworth and Newcastle, regardless of what it was.

The problem with connections though is that it forces customers to buy a day ticket, unless they're regular users. I'd say this decreases the appeal of public transport for occasional users. We've already got ticket overload in the North East, but perhaps there needs to be ticketing options available to take into account connections, i.e. the old A to B/Bus2Bus tickets.

Tom

07 Apr 2014, 4:47 pm #187
(07 Apr 2014, 4:45 pm)aureolin It's not just me sick of hearing about the X3 and Arriva's X93 then?

Yep, I'm sick of hearing about the X93 especially.
Tom
07 Apr 2014, 4:47 pm #187

(07 Apr 2014, 4:45 pm)aureolin It's not just me sick of hearing about the X3 and Arriva's X93 then?

Yep, I'm sick of hearing about the X93 especially.

07 Apr 2014, 5:20 pm #188
(07 Apr 2014, 4:47 pm)Tom Yep, I'm sick of hearing about the X93 especially.

Nothing at all wrong with the X93 except that it's not getting the right type of vehicle for the route but I'm not going into that. You know my opinion and if you want to know more, we can happily converse in the new bus technology thread.
Davey Bowyer
07 Apr 2014, 5:20 pm #188

Nothing at all wrong with the X93 except that it's not getting the right type of vehicle for the route but I'm not going into that. You know my opinion and if you want to know more, we can happily converse in the new bus technology thread.

tyresmoke

07 Apr 2014, 5:22 pm #189

Shame Tom, as the new timetables should be out very soon!
I can say its much improved on last year, definitely more robust. But thats for the Arriva thread.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
07 Apr 2014, 5:22 pm #189

Shame Tom, as the new timetables should be out very soon!
I can say its much improved on last year, definitely more robust. But thats for the Arriva thread.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Tom

07 Apr 2014, 5:24 pm #190
(07 Apr 2014, 5:22 pm)tyresmoke Shame Tom, as the new timetables should be out very soon!

It's the complaints I mean, I'm looking forward to the timetables.
Tom
07 Apr 2014, 5:24 pm #190

(07 Apr 2014, 5:22 pm)tyresmoke Shame Tom, as the new timetables should be out very soon!

It's the complaints I mean, I'm looking forward to the timetables.

07 Apr 2014, 9:32 pm #191
Is it true mpd 524 is back on the road
James Moss Mccrossan
07 Apr 2014, 9:32 pm #191

Is it true mpd 524 is back on the road

Diamond One

Banned

07 Apr 2014, 9:48 pm #192
(07 Apr 2014, 9:32 pm)James Moss Mccrossan Is it true mpd 524 is back on the road

yes its at Hexham please check fleet list for further information
Diamond One
07 Apr 2014, 9:48 pm #192

(07 Apr 2014, 9:32 pm)James Moss Mccrossan Is it true mpd 524 is back on the road

yes its at Hexham please check fleet list for further information

Andreos1

07 Apr 2014, 10:28 pm #193
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/lo..._Leadgate/

Did this get a mention last week?
Genuinely cant remember amongst the people being knocked down in Newcastle.

Andreos1
07 Apr 2014, 10:28 pm #193

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/lo..._Leadgate/

Acky81

07 Apr 2014, 10:46 pm #194
Think it's for the best that the x3 is axed altogether. When I said shame I mean go north east have made the service a mess. It's destination points don't add up Monkwearmouth and market st. No wonder it's empty. I bet now it's axed in the summer and returns as a different service number next year!!! Just call me mystic meg
Acky81
07 Apr 2014, 10:46 pm #194

Think it's for the best that the x3 is axed altogether. When I said shame I mean go north east have made the service a mess. It's destination points don't add up Monkwearmouth and market st. No wonder it's empty. I bet now it's axed in the summer and returns as a different service number next year!!! Just call me mystic meg

Diamond One

Banned

07 Apr 2014, 11:12 pm #195
(07 Apr 2014, 10:28 pm)Andreos Constantopolous http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/lo..._Leadgate/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LODkVkpaVQA&hd=1 typical maybe Chumbawamba has got something to say about that
Diamond One
07 Apr 2014, 11:12 pm #195

(07 Apr 2014, 10:28 pm)Andreos Constantopolous http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/lo..._Leadgate/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LODkVkpaVQA&hd=1 typical maybe Chumbawamba has got something to say about that

Diamond One

Banned

07 Apr 2014, 11:33 pm #196
(07 Apr 2014, 10:46 pm)Acky81 Think it's for the best that the x3 is axed altogether. When I said shame I mean go north east have made the service a mess. It's destination points don't add up Monkwearmouth and market st. No wonder it's empty. I bet now it's axed in the summer and returns as a different service number next year!!! Just call me mystic meg

i agree X3 should be axed it has been useless it hardly gets used not making enough money on the plus side in Monkwearmouth where it terminates it has a beautiful ground in the background i am sorry if any Newcastle Supporters are reading this but Sunderland Stadium Of Light is beautiful X3 i have seen it empty most of the time does not need a double decker a MPD would be ideal but i can see the X3 going within the next changes when it went to Park Lane it was well used but having a decker on it killed the route a lot i much prefered the 4 Citaros on there they were a cracking bus and a nice smooth ride
Diamond One
07 Apr 2014, 11:33 pm #196

(07 Apr 2014, 10:46 pm)Acky81 Think it's for the best that the x3 is axed altogether. When I said shame I mean go north east have made the service a mess. It's destination points don't add up Monkwearmouth and market st. No wonder it's empty. I bet now it's axed in the summer and returns as a different service number next year!!! Just call me mystic meg

i agree X3 should be axed it has been useless it hardly gets used not making enough money on the plus side in Monkwearmouth where it terminates it has a beautiful ground in the background i am sorry if any Newcastle Supporters are reading this but Sunderland Stadium Of Light is beautiful X3 i have seen it empty most of the time does not need a double decker a MPD would be ideal but i can see the X3 going within the next changes when it went to Park Lane it was well used but having a decker on it killed the route a lot i much prefered the 4 Citaros on there they were a cracking bus and a nice smooth ride

Dan

Site Administrator

08 Apr 2014, 5:09 am #197

The news article wasn't given but I think it is the same one involving an Olympian that Robert (?) mentioned.
Dan
08 Apr 2014, 5:09 am #197

The news article wasn't given but I think it is the same one involving an Olympian that Robert (?) mentioned.

S813 FVK

08 Apr 2014, 6:37 am #198
(08 Apr 2014, 5:09 am)Dan The news article wasn't given but I think it is the same one involving an Olympian that Robert (?) mentioned.

Yeah it is. A week today that incident happened. I'm also not sure which bus it was but the 822 usually uses a Northern decker in the morning which I think heads back up to Consett and goes onto X70/X71s. As I said, im not sure though.
S813 FVK
08 Apr 2014, 6:37 am #198

(08 Apr 2014, 5:09 am)Dan The news article wasn't given but I think it is the same one involving an Olympian that Robert (?) mentioned.

Yeah it is. A week today that incident happened. I'm also not sure which bus it was but the 822 usually uses a Northern decker in the morning which I think heads back up to Consett and goes onto X70/X71s. As I said, im not sure though.

Michael

08 Apr 2014, 8:17 am #199
Has the first of the Cobalt clipper omnis came back yet, sure i read that they were getting a good wash down etc

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
08 Apr 2014, 8:17 am #199

Has the first of the Cobalt clipper omnis came back yet, sure i read that they were getting a good wash down etc

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

08 Apr 2014, 8:21 am #200
(08 Apr 2014, 8:17 am)Michael Has the first of the Cobalt clipper omnis came back yet, sure i read that they were getting a good wash down etc

The first of the "Cobalt Connect" OmniCitys (5245) has not yet returned - it is still undergoing extensive refurbishment.
Indeed, it was originally noted on this news article.
Dan
08 Apr 2014, 8:21 am #200

(08 Apr 2014, 8:17 am)Michael Has the first of the Cobalt clipper omnis came back yet, sure i read that they were getting a good wash down etc

The first of the "Cobalt Connect" OmniCitys (5245) has not yet returned - it is still undergoing extensive refurbishment.
Indeed, it was originally noted on this news article.

Pages (40) Previous 19 10 1140 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average