You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Service Suggestions

Go North East: Service Suggestions

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
On phone, so limited as to what I can do.
It is 1.2 miles from 1 Old Fold Road via Bypass, Park Lane and into Interchange from Prince Consort Road.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(11 Oct 2014, 4:34 pm)AdamY wrote It would be interesting to see how much time (and mileage) would be saved by re-routing these services via Felling-by-Pass and Park Lane instead of Neilson Road, Saltmeadows Road and Hawkes Road on an Evening and Sunday. I can't see it being much though. 

I think it picks up a few from the Mecca Bingo.
X22 - Hexham - Corbridge - Prudoe - Crawcrook - MetroCentre - Birtley - Chester le Street - Durham
Replaces current X22
Don't know if this would work, but just a thought: -

Service 2C - No Change

Service 2A - Washington Galleries - Waterview Park(via A1231)  - Teal Farm - Pattinson Industrial Estate - Washington Arts Centre - then current route

Benefits: -

* More direct links to Waterview Park from the Galleries
* Teal Farm to get a more frequent and direct service to the Galleries.
* Teal Farm would now have one bus an hour to the Galleries and Sunderland on Evenings and Sundays - something which has been lacking for years now!
* Workers in Pattinson Industrial Estate would have a more frequent and direct bus service to the Galleries - another area which is poorly served at present.
* Workers who may live in Fatfield and work at Waterview Park would have a more direct and frequent service - cutting journey times and may encourage people to leave the car at home and take the bus.

People who wish to travel via Biddick and Sunderland could alternatively use Service 73.
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
(16 Oct 2014, 8:25 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote X22 - Hexham - Corbridge - Prudoe - Crawcrook - MetroCentre - Birtley - Chester le Street - Durham
Replaces current X22
Or how about merging the 15 and 689, the 15 route to Consett and the 689 route to Hexham.

Have 1ph to Hexham from Durham and terminate the others in Consett

#justathought
#malarkeymarathon
#nebhashtags
Well despite the fact that Arriva have upgraded their X21 and X22 to Sapphire, buses are still VOR particularly the 57 plate E400's. There's got to be room for the X51, X52 and X53 idea that I put forward a while back with 11 B9TL's for the X51 & X52 and 5 Mercs for the X53. It would go down a treat and if you don't remember:

- X51 every 30 minutes Mon to Sat / Eve and Sun every 60 minutes serving Seacrest Rd to Newcastle via Cresswell Arms, Wansbeck Hospital, Ashington, North Seaton Elephant, Stakeford, Bedlington Stn, Bedlington Red Lion, Bedlington Hartlands then fast via A1068, A1 and A167. The daytime PVR is listed combined with the X52 and the evening PVR is listed combined with the X53.

- X52 every 30 minutes Mon to Sat serving: Seacrest Rd to Newcastle via Cresswell Arms, North Seaton Fairfield Dr, Ashington, North Seaton Elephant, Stakeford, Bedlington Stn, Bedlington Red Lion, Bedlington Hartlands then fast via A1068, A1 and A167. The daytime PVR is listed combined with the X51.

- X51 / X52 every 15 minutes combined Mon to Sat serving Ashington to Newcastle via North Seaton Elephant, Stakeford, Bedlington Stn, Bedlington Red Lion, Bedlington Hartlands then fast via A1068, A1 and A167. The total PVR for the X51 and X52 (both interworking) would be 11 B9TL's. The evening PVR for X51 is listed further down.

- X53 every 30 minutes Mon to Sat / Eve and Sun every 60 minutes serving Ashington to Newcastle via Wansbeck Business Park, Ashington Stn Road, Wansbeck Estate, Guide Post, Glebe Bank (Red Lion), Ridge Terrace, Nedderton then fast via A192, Stannington A1 Junction, A1 and A167. Evening and Sunday journeys would also extend to North Seaton. The total PVR for the X53 would be a PVR of 5 Mercs. The evening PVR is listed further down.

- X51 / X53 every 25-35 minutes combined Eve and Sun serving Ashington to Newcastle calling combined in Bedlington (X51 from Front Street and X53 from Glebe Bank) and Newcastle. The total PVR for an interworking evening and Sunday service on both services X51 and X53 would be a PVR of 5 B9TL's.
(18 Oct 2014, 3:01 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Well despite the fact that Arriva have upgraded their X21 and X22 to Sapphire, buses are still VOR particularly the 57 plate E400's. There's got to be room for the X51, X52 and X53 idea that I put forward a while back with 11 B9TL's for the X51 & X52 and 5 Mercs for the X53. It would go down a treat and if you don't remember:

- X51 every 30 minutes Mon to Sat / Eve and Sun every 60 minutes serving Seacrest Rd to Newcastle via Cresswell Arms, Wansbeck Hospital, Ashington, North Seaton Elephant, Stakeford, Bedlington Stn, Bedlington Red Lion, Bedlington Hartlands then fast via A1068, A1 and A167. The daytime PVR is listed combined with the X52 and the evening PVR is listed combined with the X53.

- X52 every 30 minutes Mon to Sat serving: Seacrest Rd to Newcastle via Cresswell Arms, North Seaton Fairfield Dr, Ashington, North Seaton Elephant, Stakeford, Bedlington Stn, Bedlington Red Lion, Bedlington Hartlands then fast via A1068, A1 and A167. The daytime PVR is listed combined with the X51.

- X51 / X52 every 15 minutes combined Mon to Sat serving Ashington to Newcastle via North Seaton Elephant, Stakeford, Bedlington Stn, Bedlington Red Lion, Bedlington Hartlands then fast via A1068, A1 and A167. The total PVR for the X51 and X52 (both interworking) would be 11 B9TL's. The evening PVR for X51 is listed further down.

- X53 every 30 minutes Mon to Sat / Eve and Sun every 60 minutes serving Ashington to Newcastle via Wansbeck Business Park, Ashington Stn Road, Wansbeck Estate, Guide Post, Glebe Bank (Red Lion), Ridge Terrace, Nedderton then fast via A192, Stannington A1 Junction, A1 and A167. Evening and Sunday journeys would also extend to North Seaton. The total PVR for the X53 would be a PVR of 5 Mercs. The evening PVR is listed further down.

- X51 / X53 every 25-35 minutes combined Eve and Sun serving Ashington to Newcastle calling combined in Bedlington (X51 from Front Street and X53 from Glebe Bank) and Newcastle. The total PVR for an interworking evening and Sunday service on both services X51 and X53 would be a PVR of 5 B9TL's.

Where are the 11 B9TLs coming from? Please don't say they'll need to order some...
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(18 Oct 2014, 4:46 pm)aureolin wrote Where are the 11 B9TLs coming from? Please don't say they'll need to order some...

Don't forget the 5 Mercs for the X53 aureolin, Doubt they'll need order New Buses, Davey will just Reallocate the entire GNE Fleet so that everything fits into Place.

#JobsAGoodun
#DaveyBowyersGNEFleetReallocationsTake50MillionAnd1
#HashtagsOnNEB
(18 Oct 2014, 6:59 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Don't forget the 5 Mercs for the X53 aureolin, Doubt they'll need order New Buses, Davey will just Reallocate the entire GNE Fleet so that everything fits into Place.

#JobsAGoodun
#DaveyBowyersGNEFleetReallocationsTake50MillionAnd1
#HashtagsOnNEB

What with Daveys allocations and your marathon routes, GNE's fleet will need to be increased by around 25% and that is a conservative estimate  Big Grin
(18 Oct 2014, 7:01 pm)citaro5284 wrote What with Daveys allocations and your marathon routes, GNE's fleet will need to be increased by around 25% and that is a conservative estimate  Big Grin

I'll give 20% of that Increase to Davey for his Services between Newcastle and North Shields/Tynemouth and Whitley Bay along with those which run in Competition with Arriva to Ashington.
It would work though, here's what you get with Arriva what you wouldn't get with GNE:

Q: Why is my journey taking so long? A: We detoured your bus for the sake of a 10 min combined frequency.
Q: Can I go to the Meteocentre please? A: Yes, but you'll have to pay an extra £3-4 quid.
Q: Can I go to Durham and Teesside? A: Yes, you can use our limited range of services or cough up an extra £7-8 quid.
Q: Can I go to Cobalt off peak and frequently? A: No
Q: Why is my bus breaking down? A: Because we used older vehicles in the majority that have had it.
Q: My bus is late and you's dont know? A: Sorry, we've got no radios and our drivers only have their phones that can't be used legally or can, but the driver must spend time ringing us if late or broken down.
X8 - Middlesbrough - Seaton Carew - Hartlepool - Blackhall - Peterlee - Easington - Dalton Park - Dalton le Dale - Seaham - Ryhope - Grangetown - Sunderland

X11 - Middlesbrough - Seaton Carew - Hartlepool - Blackhall - Peterlee - A19 - Heworth - Gateshead - Newcastle
Go North East Service Suggestions
(20 Oct 2014, 12:38 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote X8 - Middlesbrough - Seaton Carew - Hartlepool - Blackhall - Peterlee - Easington - Dalton Park - Dalton le Dale - Seaham - Ryhope - Grangetown - Sunderland

X11 - Middlesbrough - Seaton Carew - Hartlepool - Blackhall - Peterlee - A19 - Heworth - Gateshead - Newcastle

Middlesbrough area to Hartlepool area is stagecoach territory, this is what happens when the big bus companies carve up their own areas.

(20 Oct 2014, 1:15 pm)cbma06 wrote Middlesbrough area to Hartlepool area is stagecoach territory, this is what happens when the big bus companies carve up their own areas.

They need a system set up to counteract that.
VPA wouldn't achieve it, nor increase competition to benefit the customer.

There needs to be something, I don't know - a system like the QCS idea :p
just a timetable format suggestion:

Why does GNE not take a leap into Arriva paper format timetables.

Arriva paper timetables are nice and neat and don't fold out like a ordnance survey map.

GNE paper timetables is like a ordnance survey map and you have to fold it out.

I used to like the old go ahead northern and go north east individual timetables as you just un fold the timetable once.

(20 Oct 2014, 1:19 pm)cbma06 wrote just a timetable format suggestion:

Why does GNE not take a leap into Arriva paper format timetables.

Arriva paper timetables are nice and neat and don't fold out like a ordnance survey map.

GNE paper timetables is like a ordnance survey map and you have to fold it out.

I used to like the old go ahead northern and go north east individual timetables as you just un fold the timetable once.

Should go back to the "Go with the Times" Days, where you had all the Timetables in one Booklet for each area.
(20 Oct 2014, 2:04 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Should go back to the "Go with the Times" Days, where you had all the Timetables in one Booklet for each area.

1 problem with that - costs a lot to print and when services change they have to print the whole booklet again. At least with the current system all they have to do is print that leaflet out again - saving paper. Found those very useful and much easier though. It must be said.
(20 Oct 2014, 5:22 pm)Robert wrote 1 problem with that - costs a lot to print and when services change they have to print the whole booklet again. At least with the current system all they have to do is print that leaflet out again - saving paper. Found those very useful and much easier though. It must be said.

Yup, and it removes the flexibility of an operator to re-time the odd trip slightly for reliability, as the whole booklet is instantly out of date.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Marxista Fozzski
(20 Oct 2014, 1:17 pm)Andreos1 wrote They need a system set up to counteract that.
VPA wouldn't achieve it, nor increase competition to benefit the customer.

There needs to be something, I don't know - a system like the QCS idea :p
I dont know how it would be achieved, but I would like to see smaller independents have a look in, would like to see the Scarlet Bands/Gareshead Central Taxis/Compass' of the world get a sniff of the routes...While I know next to nowt about QCS, would that be a solution into getting smaller companies gaining more services
Site Administrator
(20 Oct 2014, 1:15 pm)cbma06 wrote Middlesbrough area to Hartlepool area is stagecoach territory, this is what happens when the big bus companies carve up their own areas.

Sunderland isn't really 'Arriva territory', and there is an established express route operating between Sunderland and Peterlee, yet Arriva are operating a competing service from next Monday...

With or without Quality Contracts, bus operators can design competing routes!
@ Fozz.
You should have a read of the QCS thread when you have a spare few days.
It is quite enlightening to see the flaws of deregulation and the effects it has had.
As for your question, yes - QCS will open up the market for smaller operators, just as the current NexusBus scheme has.

@ Dan.
Without QCS, competition is limited. With QCS, there will be no competition.
(20 Oct 2014, 7:44 pm)Dan wrote Sunderland isn't really 'Arriva territory', and there is an established express route operating between Sunderland and Peterlee, yet Arriva are operating a competing service from next Monday...

With or without Quality Contracts, bus operators can design competing routes!

What are arriva operating dan
Marxista Fozzski
Re: Go North East Service Suggestions
(20 Oct 2014, 7:54 pm)Andreos1 wrote @ Fozz.
You should have a read of the QCS thread when you have a spare few days.
It is quite enlightening to see the flaws of deregulation and the effects it has had.
As for your question, yes - QCS will open up the market for smaller operators, just as the current NexusBus scheme has.

@ Dan.
Without QCS, competition is limited. With QCS, there will be no competition.

I have started reading it, at 22 pages and approx. 1000 posts it will be like reading a small novel...

From what I have read upto now, sounds like a system like London, for it to work would it be better for Co. Durham to either adopt QCS or merge with Nexus to form a North East Public Transport Authority, otherwise what happens with cross boundary services?.

I will make my way through the 22 pages, hopefully without melting my brain, as I am not the best at understanding things Big Grin
The Nexus site may be an easier read.
Saves you getting bogged down by some of the comments in QCS thread.
Site Administrator
(20 Oct 2014, 11:14 pm)Acky81 wrote What are arriva operating dan
New express service between Sunderland and Arriva (X21) - see Arriva Bus Changes thread.
Marxista Fozzski
(21 Oct 2014, 5:13 am)Andreos1 wrote The Nexus site may be an easier read.
Saves you getting bogged down by some of the comments in QCS thread.
Seems like QCS' fate will be decided this afternoon...I wonder what the Stagecoach position is, I remember them having a childish tantrum and threatening a complete pull out of the Area
(21 Oct 2014, 6:53 am)marxistafozzski wrote Seems like QCS' fate will be decided this afternoon...I wonder what the Stagecoach position is, I remember them having a childish tantrum and threatening a complete pull out of the Area

Indeed. Included a threat to burn down their depots - im sure they wouldnt actually do that though. Pull out the area - quite possibly
(21 Oct 2014, 6:53 am)marxistafozzski wrote Seems like QCS' fate will be decided this afternoon...I wonder what the Stagecoach position is, I remember them having a childish tantrum and threatening a complete pull out of the Area

Looking forward to seen the result, shame i'm at uni till 4:30 although we might not find out the result till later in the week.

I hope Stagecoach don't pull out if they go ahead, means they will have to look for a new company for my area, means NO gas buses to =(

Can the company turn around and say by Sunday they withdrawing every service or does it have to be 56 days like for changes?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Marxista Fozzski
(21 Oct 2014, 6:56 am)Robert wrote Indeed. Included a threat to burn down their depots - im sure they wouldnt actually do that though. Pull out the area - quite possibly

Lmao, crying like a bitch is one thing, burning a depot down is just stupid...Part of me wants QCS just to call Stagecoach's bluff