You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Bus Related Outings and Reviews

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews
(18 Dec 2014, 10:01 pm)aureolin wrote My outing over the last two days:

Newcastle to Kings Cross - 1E01 - 91125 East Coast
Kings Cross to Euston - #30 - 33651 Tower Transit
Euston to Kings Cross - #205 - 12314 Stagecoach
Kings Cross to Newcastle - 1N27 - 91107 East Coast
Newcastle to Washington - #X1 - 6006 Go North East

I would use the Tube  Big Grin
(18 Dec 2014, 10:08 pm)citaro5284 wrote I would use the Tube  Big Grin

I always think you walk half the distance using the Tube anyway. Especially from Kings Cross. Seems to take an age to get to the line. I always tend to use the buses, as they stop right outside the station door. Smile
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(18 Dec 2014, 10:12 pm)aureolin wrote I always think you walk half the distance using the Tube anyway. Especially from Kings Cross. Seems to take an age to get to the line. I always tend to use the buses, as they stop right outside the station door. Smile

Aye thats true, you seem to walk a mile to get to the Victoria Line platform.
(18 Dec 2014, 10:24 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Personally, I hate Covent Garden tube station. Everybody getting crammed into the elevators taking you up to the main station from the underground platforms!

Yeah, Leicester Square is better. The few times I've been down there we have avoided Covent Garden for that reason. 
(18 Dec 2014, 10:26 pm)Tom wrote Yeah, Leicester Square is better. The few times I've been down there we have avoided Covent Garden for that reason. 

The commuters on the underground are what I dislike the most! They are literally some of the most ignorant people on the planet!! - my mam started having ago at a student who wasn't willing to budge out of the way to let us disembark the train at Elephant & Castle. Dickheads.
Took a half day today, so having a quick outing on the Durham P&R before anything else.

(18 Dec 2014, 10:29 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote The commuters on the underground are what I dislike the most! They are literally some of the most ignorant people on the planet!! - my mam started having ago at a student who wasn't willing to budge out of the way to let us disembark the train at Elephant & Castle. Dickheads.

London is alright as long as you remember to throw your manners and courtesy out the window.
So far today:

Washington to Durham - #50 - 5256 (GNE)
Durham to Belmont - #PR1 - YJ64DXM (SB)
Belmont to Durham - #PR1 - MX10DXK (SB)
Durham to Howlands - #PR2 - YJ64DXP (SB)
Howlands to Durham - #6 - 7461 (ANE)
Durham to County Hall - #64 - 1305 (ANE)
County Hall to Sniperley - #PR1 - YJ64DXS (SB)
Sniperley to Uni. Hospital - #PR1 - YJ64DXM (SB)
Uni. Hospital to Chester Moor - #21 - 6069 (GNE)
Chester Moor to Chester Le Street - #21 - 6066 (GNE)
Chester Le Street to Gateshead - #X21 - 6021 (GNE)
Gateshead to Washington - #x1 - 6055 (GNE)
Well had a trip out with Adam Nicholson today for the shuttle buses from Sunderland to Newcastle for the match...

To get the bus trip in - we used Ten B9TL 6075 from Metrocentre to Newcastle, running around 10 mins late. The passengers off 6082 (svc 10B) were transferred onto this one too (as it was ~25 min late) and that was parked up ready to be sent back the other way on time. No complaints with that, sensible regulating. The return trip was on one of the Diamond Citaros but I didn't pay any attention to which one!

Anyway, the main point of this post... Used on football shuttles from Stadium of Light to St James' Park (plus other Sunderland supporter coaches which tagged onto the convoy at some point!) were...
David Dove: G512NHH, M665WCK
Garnetts: T688KPU, T693KPU, X287NNO, X288NNO, Y361NLK
Gillingham's: GIL1371
Jim Hughes: S236JUA, T319FGN, T320FGN, LT02ZZJ, LT02ZZL, LT02ZZM, 3262MW, 6963MW, MSU830, OTP392, PJI2407, VNP893
Kingsley's: V216MEV
Lee's of Durham: N655EWJ, ELZ3700, 118GOP, 891FUO
Longstaff's: YN05UUX
Overlander: W215JBN
Pygall's: K794OTC, YJ05HGN
Scarlet Band: R712KGK, BU51GHT
Stanley Travel: OK04STX
Style Travel: T531EUB

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Going to start giving these a more professional outlook!

Upon receiving advice from others, I took the plunge and got a Get Around today. Money well spent?, let's take a look.....

#78 - CLS Cricket Club to Sunderland Park Lane Interchange (10:14 --- 10:57) - Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4897
-- Was running 4 minutes late when I boarded, and we got to Park Lane 11 minutes behind plan! The journey itself was nice and enjoyable, not too busy, not too quiet. Aside from a few chavs at the back, everything was okay. Except from waiting an extra 4 minutes in the freezing cold weather! --

Had a bit of a wander around Park Lane. Saw plenty of Nexus staff, so I waited until I was outside the premises before whipping my TZ55 out. Stood at that infamous spot outside Park Lane where Barnardo's is, and got a few snaps of vehicles coming in and out, but I got a couple of glares from passengers, so I went back in.

I got the surprise of my life when 4854 came in, having just worked the 78 in and working the 8 out. I ran for it, thrilled at the prospect of a ride on a good old B10BLE, especially in Lime colours! As everybody was off, I started strolling instead of jogging. What a mistake. Two people got on, and I saw the indicator change. No. No. No! No! NOOOOO!!!!!!

I lay crying on the floor as 4854 drifted away. After pulling myself together, I saw another Lime B10BLE. I dashed to the stand, it was 4854. It had come back for me. I tried to flag her down....to no avail.

The cock of a driver had pulled out and done a loop of the bus station before pissing off back to Chester!! Ever heard of turning the engine off and having a fag?! Never mind - there's always a next time!!

#2A - Park Lane Interchange to Washington The Galleries Bus Station (11:33 --- 12:06) - Mercedes Citaro 0530N/Mercedes Citaro 5324
-- Not 100% sure on the fleet number, due to not paying my normal 90p with my key card and getting a ticket!, but for some reason I'm thinking either 5322 or 5324, the latter strongly. Was a comfortable journey, first Deptford bus in a while now, happy because it was recently repainted too, so I'm pleased I filled the gap! --

Popped into The Galleries to pick some stuff up from the SAFC store there for my dad, who in terms of football knowledge - I am an embarrassment to him. lol, not really; but he is die-hard! Also popped into McColls to get the Hornby Magazine Yearbook and the latest edition of Hornby Magazine before going back to the bus station!

#50 - Washington The Galleries Bus Station to Chester-le-Street Front Street (12:29 --- 12:43) Scania CN230UB/Scania OmniCity 5255
-- I was just walking down the escalators when I saw this, so I made a dash and realised it was a friend driving. Hadn't seen him in a while, so we were both surprised to see each other. Couldn't have a talk, because I gather he was running really late. Nonetheless, we got to Chester-le-Street after picking up some time on the motorway. --

#21 - Chester-le-Street Front Street to Chester-le-Street Clifford Terrace (12:54 --- 12:58) - Volvo B5HL/Wright Gemini 2 6058
-- Appeared pretty late, the X22 had gone and I gather this was the 12:45 to Durham. Comfortable journey, not really any comments to make other than a few glares from Newcastle fans, who saw me with the SAFC store bag. Tongue --

Got back home for 13:15ish.

Marcus
(23 Dec 2014, 1:57 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote That was sarcasm. Tongue

Ah right it didn't sound like it Wink
Is your ticket book going to pot now like?
(23 Dec 2014, 2:00 pm)Tom wrote Ah right it didn't sound like it Wink
Is your ticket book going to pot now like?

Yeah, edited it now with a question mark! Smile

Unfortunately yes. I'm using a notepad at present. Think I'll stick the Get Around or Explorer or whatever I use in the centre of the page at the top, then make any notes or comments beneath it.
(23 Dec 2014, 2:02 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Yeah, edited it now with a question mark! Smile

Unfortunately yes. I'm using a notepad at present. Think I'll stick the Get Around or Explorer or whatever I use in the centre of the page at the top, then make any notes or comments beneath it.

Ah that's a shame.
So are you uploading your photos to flickr?
(23 Dec 2014, 2:03 pm)Tom wrote Ah that's a shame.
So are you uploading your photos to flickr?

Only took about three in total, not even sure if they're good enough to upload! Might just put them so that friends can only view them?

I haven't even got them on the desktop yet! Wink
It's you and only you that decides to spend so little time out go out earlier and back in later and you'll probably enjoy it more. I never really plan these days either - just hop on bus after bus.

Also don't think passengers are glaring at you. Most will just be aimlessly staring out of the window.
(23 Dec 2014, 10:19 pm)aureolin wrote It's you and only you that decides to spend so little time out go out earlier and back in later and you'll probably enjoy it more. I never really plan these days either - just hop on bus after bus.

Also don't think passengers are glaring at you. Most will just be aimlessly staring out of the window.

Well....I do promise my mam and dad I'll be back before a certain time! Wink, I suppose I can go out earlier, like.

Might walk into Chester for 09:30, and get the 09:40 #X25 over Gateshead way and see what I end up doing. Might try and get on an X43, hopefully an Olympian! Smile

I didn't really have a plan for today, I just decided to go over to Sunderland see what I felt like doing - so I think I can do the same for Gateshead.
(23 Dec 2014, 10:36 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Well....I do promise my mam and dad I'll be back before a certain time! Wink, I suppose I can go out earlier, like.

Might walk into Chester for 09:30, and get the 09:40 #X25 over Gateshead way and see what I end up doing. Might try and get on an X43, hopefully an Olympian! Smile

I didn't really have a plan for today, I just decided to go over to Sunderland see what I felt like doing - so I think I can do the same for Gateshead.

Just a warning that all the OAPS come out at 0930 so they can get on the bus for free, so it could be busy and possibly even worse tomorrow with Christmas eve shopping.

Also just ignore anyone giving you glares if you are taking photos.
A trip to South Shields turned into an adventure for prawns. Big Grin

0801 #88 Scotch Estate - South Shields 8294
0915ish Metro South Shields - Central Station 4023
0944 Train Newcastle - Metrocentre 1420xx
1000 #S1 Metrocentre - ASDA 8266
1019 #97 MetroOasis - Metrocentre 826x
1030ish #10  Metrocentre - Eldon Square 6073
1055 #45 Haymarket - Regent Centre UNi'd Pulsar
1129 Metro Regent Centre - Brockley Whins 40xx
Against the Anti-Lee Club.
My Plan for Tomorrow is as follows, A bit of Bus Spotting/Shopping and then off over my Dads Friends House for a House Party on the night, so quite an action packed day.

08:13 - 2C - Lambton to Sunderland - 08:41
09:20 - 9 - Sunderland to Jarrow - 09:55
10:29 - Metro - Jarrow to Heworth - 10:38
10:41 - 4 - Heworth to Washington Galleries - 11:00
11:18 - X1 - Washington Galleries to Newcastle - 11:51
12:30 - 10 - Newcastle to Intu MetroCentre - 12:44
**Dinner/Shopping Break**
14:25 - X66 - Intu MetroCentre to Gateshead - 14:35
14:40 - 21 - Gateshead to Low Fell - 14:50
Left the house at 10:20, and got to Front Street for 10:45. Got a drink from a newsagents and headed over to the 50.

#50 - Chester-le-Street Front Street to Washington, The Galleries - (10:49 --- 11:06) - 4926 - Scania L94UA/Wright Solar
--- Very smooth, with a nice friendly driver. I hadn't been on any of the 4926-31 batch in a while, so it made a nice change. Would have preferred 4934 or 4935 though, as I've yet to ride either. ---

Hovered around the bus station for a short while, and noticed 6055 pull in on the X1 (Newcastle-bound), absolutely packed. I was contemplating waiting for another X1 to come, and I was lucky as 6050 appeared behind, with about half a dozen people on. The huge queue abandoned 6055 for 6050 - me being one of them.

#X1 - Washington, The Galleries to Gateshead Transport Interchange - (11:13 --- 11:38) - 6050
- Volvo B9TL/Wright Gemini 2
--- Nice and quiet when we left, about twelve seats free downstairs and around the same upstairs. However, when we got to Wrekenton, I'd say at least twenty people got on. When we got to Gateshead, I hopped off. Overall I was pleased, as I rarely use the X1, and may start doing so ---

#49 - Gateshead Transport Interchange to intu MetroCentre Interchange - (11:46 --- 12:10) - 5282 - Mercedes 0530N/Mercedes Citaro
--- Only about ten people on, so nice and peaceful in contrast to my ride on 6050. Enjoyed it. ---

Went up to the WHSmiths located just outside the bus station at the MetroCentre, and got my mam a copy of Women's Own, and my dad the first football mag I saw.

#X43 - intu MetroCentre Interchange to Stanley Bus Station - (12:35 --- 13:01) - 4904 - Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown
--- I absolutely love the route of the X43 - dare I say one of the most beautiful routes GNE operate? Slightly irritated that it wasn't an Olympian, as when we got to Stanley I saw all but one of their Olys parked up doing nothing. Nonetheless, it was a nice journey, and another B10BLE ticked off my list. ---

#8 - Stanley Bus Station to Chester-le-Street South Burns - (13:11 --- 13:36) - 4855 - Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown
--- I was absolutely thrilled to see a green vehicle coming into the bus station at 13:09. When I realised it was on a Sunderland-bound #8, I felt my legs go. Loved every second of the quiet ride. Only about 7 or 8 people throughout the whole of the journey. ---

#21 - Chester-le-Street South Burns to Chester-le-Street Clifford Terrace - (13:54 --- 13:57) - 6065 - Volvo B5HL/Wright Gemini 2
--- So relieved when this showed up - I had a t-shirt, a hoody and a superdry coat on yet I was still freezing. Made a decent journey. Not much you can say about it. ---

Overall, I'd give the day 7/10. I copped 2 B10BLEs, rare workings on the 50 and X43, and managed another journey on the X1. No Olympian on the X43 and Tom not showing up lost it 3 points. Wink

Marcus
After failing to get a Yellow Bus Olympian the other week, I will be having another attempt tomorrow - this time I think I will get the X22 to the MetroCentre and hang round there for a bit and get a few photos and then head to Newcastle for some time for some photos and possibly hang around until I see one and then see where the day takes me.

Which services do you think I will be most likely to see a Yellow Bus?
After failing to get a Yellow Bus Olympian the other week, I will be having another attempt tomorrow - this time I think I will get the X22 to the MetroCentre and hang round there for a bit and get a few photos and then head to Newcastle for some time for some photos and possibly hang around until I see one and then see where the day takes me.

I'm going to try and get on a Yellow Bus, too! Desperate for one more ride.

The X30/X31 seems to get quite a few. So does the X70/X71, but judging by rare and odd workings reports I'd say the X30/X31 would be the best bet. The X43 too, but it was 4904 on Saturday!

Maybe the 15, too. But I would think the 3 Volvo B7s will be on, more likely than an Olympian.

Might do....

#8 - Chester to Stanley
(09:45 --- 10:12)
#X30 - Stanley to Gateshead
(10:30 --- 11:00)
#X66 - Gateshead to MetroCentre
(11:06 --- 11:16)
#X43 - MetroCentre to Stanley
(11:30 --- 12:00)
Lunch & Photos Break
(12:30 --- 13:00)
#21 - Gateshead to Home
(13:09 --- 13:49)
(29 Dec 2014, 5:13 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote After failing to get a Yellow Bus Olympian the other week, I will be having another attempt tomorrow - this time I think I will get the X22 to the MetroCentre and hang round there for a bit and get a few photos and then head to Newcastle for some time for some photos and possibly hang around until I see one and then see where the day takes me.

I'm going to try and get on a Yellow Bus, too! Desperate for one more ride.

The X30/X31 seems to get quite a few. So does the X70/X71, but judging by rare and odd workings reports I'd say the X30/X31 would be the best bet. The X43 too, but it was 4904 on Saturday!

Maybe the 15, too. But I would think the 3 Volvo B7s will be on, more likely than an Olympian.

Might do....

#8 - Chester to Stanley
(09:45 --- 10:12)
(10:30 --- 11:00)
#X66 - Gateshead to MetroCentre
(11:06 --- 11:16)
#X43 - MetroCentre to Stanley
(11:30 --- 12:00)
Lunch & Photos Break
(12:30 --- 13:00)
#21 - Gateshead to Home
(13:09 --- 13:49)

The X43 was a President today.
I think it may be a struggle during the school holidays, as not many vehicles are required on the road. You'd expect that the Olympians wouldn't go out for anything other than a very last resort.