Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2012

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2012

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2012

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (4) Previous 1 2 3 4 Next
Adam

22 Dec 2012, 10:47 pm #41
(22 Dec 2012, 10:40 pm)Brandon If the Royal Oak is where I think it is, then that's a horrendous corner and a nightmare for pedestrians to cross and for buses to navigate around. Very sad news for the person involved and their family, as well as the bus driver, especially being so close to Christmas.

There's been many close calls in the past. I myself have nearly been knocked over there before. I've no idea whether the person is dead or alive, but I will be praying for them and their family this evening.
Adam
22 Dec 2012, 10:47 pm #41

(22 Dec 2012, 10:40 pm)Brandon If the Royal Oak is where I think it is, then that's a horrendous corner and a nightmare for pedestrians to cross and for buses to navigate around. Very sad news for the person involved and their family, as well as the bus driver, especially being so close to Christmas.

There's been many close calls in the past. I myself have nearly been knocked over there before. I've no idea whether the person is dead or alive, but I will be praying for them and their family this evening.

Dan

Site Administrator

23 Dec 2012, 12:17 am #42
'Diversions' would have simply been via Springwell Road, instead of the High Street Loop, yes?
I can't see why this hasn't been instated as a permanent route... Most people who have used an X1, 56, or any other service that happens to use that "triangle loop" have witnessed a near-accident.

Just put this through as a suggestion on Facebook; hopefully, Go North East will put it forward for me. If not, I'll e-mail it to them this morning.

http://www.facebook.com/simplyGNE/posts/...d=37643234¬if_t=like
Dan
23 Dec 2012, 12:17 am #42

'Diversions' would have simply been via Springwell Road, instead of the High Street Loop, yes?
I can't see why this hasn't been instated as a permanent route... Most people who have used an X1, 56, or any other service that happens to use that "triangle loop" have witnessed a near-accident.

Just put this through as a suggestion on Facebook; hopefully, Go North East will put it forward for me. If not, I'll e-mail it to them this morning.

Adam

23 Dec 2012, 1:04 am #43
(23 Dec 2012, 12:17 am)Daniel 'Diversions' would have simply been via Springwell Road, instead of the High Street Loop, yes?

The buses used to do that many years ago. They used to stop on Springwell Road instead of outside the Co-op/Nisa. The diversions are as you say, Daniel, except from the X25 and 28 which went round the back of the Co-op.
Adam
23 Dec 2012, 1:04 am #43

(23 Dec 2012, 12:17 am)Daniel 'Diversions' would have simply been via Springwell Road, instead of the High Street Loop, yes?

The buses used to do that many years ago. They used to stop on Springwell Road instead of outside the Co-op/Nisa. The diversions are as you say, Daniel, except from the X25 and 28 which went round the back of the Co-op.

NEB Admin Team

Unregistered

23 Dec 2012, 1:17 pm #44
Interesting comments on the GNE Facebook page today -

Milo Potts Why has the X3 been dropped from the red arrows brand and from the gold standard?
Like · · about an hour ago

Go North East Milo - Unfortunately I'm only able to supply general information, buti f you're able to email us at customerservices@gonortheast.co.uk they should be able to assist you further.
about an hour ago · Like

Stuart Alexander Smith X3 getting withdrawn next year altogether as there isnt enough demand for it. The driver was telling me the original X3 plan was to have enough passengers to fill a double decker, and that didn't happen so they will be bringing the 26 or some variation back instead

Will be interesting to see if there is any truth to this sometime next year.
NEB Admin Team
23 Dec 2012, 1:17 pm #44

Interesting comments on the GNE Facebook page today -

Milo Potts Why has the X3 been dropped from the red arrows brand and from the gold standard?
Like · · about an hour ago

Go North East Milo - Unfortunately I'm only able to supply general information, buti f you're able to email us at customerservices@gonortheast.co.uk they should be able to assist you further.
about an hour ago · Like

Stuart Alexander Smith X3 getting withdrawn next year altogether as there isnt enough demand for it. The driver was telling me the original X3 plan was to have enough passengers to fill a double decker, and that didn't happen so they will be bringing the 26 or some variation back instead

Will be interesting to see if there is any truth to this sometime next year.

Michael

23 Dec 2012, 2:30 pm #45
Wonder how the 26 will work in to X3 they were planning on it doing it before the Jarrow connection on the 26 is rubbish

9 should be every 15 or 20 mins
26 should return to Heworth and even extend to Newcastle. Sunderland, Southwick, Castletown, Hylton Castle, Heworth, Gateshead, Newcastle.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
23 Dec 2012, 2:30 pm #45

Wonder how the 26 will work in to X3 they were planning on it doing it before the Jarrow connection on the 26 is rubbish

9 should be every 15 or 20 mins
26 should return to Heworth and even extend to Newcastle. Sunderland, Southwick, Castletown, Hylton Castle, Heworth, Gateshead, Newcastle.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

NEB Admin Team

Unregistered

23 Dec 2012, 2:38 pm #46
Yeah I think that's probably what would happen if the X3 was cancelled. The East Boldon corridor would need more than a half hourly service, maybe 9 up to every 15 or 20 minutes, and the 26 running to Heworth or beyond instead.

I've used the 26/X3 connection in the past, and sometimes it's very easy to miss it. The tight connection may put people off travelling this way. The M1/X1 connection works well at Washington Galleries because both services run up to every 10 minutes so it's not too bad if you miss it, plus you're indoors too. A half hour wait at Boldon ASDA isn't ideal really.
NEB Admin Team
23 Dec 2012, 2:38 pm #46

Yeah I think that's probably what would happen if the X3 was cancelled. The East Boldon corridor would need more than a half hourly service, maybe 9 up to every 15 or 20 minutes, and the 26 running to Heworth or beyond instead.

I've used the 26/X3 connection in the past, and sometimes it's very easy to miss it. The tight connection may put people off travelling this way. The M1/X1 connection works well at Washington Galleries because both services run up to every 10 minutes so it's not too bad if you miss it, plus you're indoors too. A half hour wait at Boldon ASDA isn't ideal really.

Michael

23 Dec 2012, 2:40 pm #47
Yeh the connection is rubbish + people would much rather use the metro, didnt expect to be dropped from Red Arrows brand to.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
23 Dec 2012, 2:40 pm #47

Yeh the connection is rubbish + people would much rather use the metro, didnt expect to be dropped from Red Arrows brand to.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

23 Dec 2012, 4:36 pm #48
I think it's ludicrous that Go North East could even consider withdrawing the X3 service. The X3 is the only bus service that can get to Newcastle in (almost) the same time as the Metro. Takes 15-20 minutes longer I guess, but that's nothing in comparison to the 56 service.
I frequently choose the X3 over Metro to cut down my waiting time at Park Lane down while I wait for a bus to go home.

I was led to believe that it was only dropped from the "Red Arrows" brand to supply the buses needed for the increased frequency of the "Silver Arrows" services... I know many drivers from Deptford on a somewhat personal level, and those that I speak to who regularly drive the X3 haven't mentioned anything about the withdrawal of the service and/or the service being dropped from the "Red Arrows" brand due to a lack of passengers using it. In fact, if I remember rightly, when the Renowns were first transferred to Deptford, a driver who randomly started talking to me (probably saw me taking a picture before getting on) upon boarding the bus, said that they would be used quite a lot on the service because there aren't enough Citaros to meet the PVR of the route and they'd prefer to keep it all as one vehicle class - which has been demonstrated in the past few months by the Renowns! I could imagine the reason why these Renowns haven't been branded for the service is because the service doesn't hold the PVR minimum requirement - as needed as a recent rule when branding services.

Many people have complained about that connection, but it isn't a connection I've ever tried to use. In my experience of using the X3 service though, it tends to run on-time if the driver has the pedal to the metal on the dual carriageways!
Dan
23 Dec 2012, 4:36 pm #48

I think it's ludicrous that Go North East could even consider withdrawing the X3 service. The X3 is the only bus service that can get to Newcastle in (almost) the same time as the Metro. Takes 15-20 minutes longer I guess, but that's nothing in comparison to the 56 service.
I frequently choose the X3 over Metro to cut down my waiting time at Park Lane down while I wait for a bus to go home.

I was led to believe that it was only dropped from the "Red Arrows" brand to supply the buses needed for the increased frequency of the "Silver Arrows" services... I know many drivers from Deptford on a somewhat personal level, and those that I speak to who regularly drive the X3 haven't mentioned anything about the withdrawal of the service and/or the service being dropped from the "Red Arrows" brand due to a lack of passengers using it. In fact, if I remember rightly, when the Renowns were first transferred to Deptford, a driver who randomly started talking to me (probably saw me taking a picture before getting on) upon boarding the bus, said that they would be used quite a lot on the service because there aren't enough Citaros to meet the PVR of the route and they'd prefer to keep it all as one vehicle class - which has been demonstrated in the past few months by the Renowns! I could imagine the reason why these Renowns haven't been branded for the service is because the service doesn't hold the PVR minimum requirement - as needed as a recent rule when branding services.

Many people have complained about that connection, but it isn't a connection I've ever tried to use. In my experience of using the X3 service though, it tends to run on-time if the driver has the pedal to the metal on the dual carriageways!

NEB Admin Team

Unregistered

23 Dec 2012, 5:51 pm #49
You're right! The X3 has always ran on time when I've travelled on it too, it's the reliability of the 26 that's the problem. It's alright coming back home from Newcastle and connecting on to a late 26, but arriving at Boldon ASDA on a late 26 is hopeless even early on a morning when you'd think buses would be on time.

Back to the X3, considering it's an express bus service between two major cities and having operated for well over a year now, I'd say passenger growth has been pretty disappointing. The timetable was scaled back considerably last month with the withdrawal of a few early morning and evening journeys. I still see completely empty buses at certain times of the day too. Off-peak it tends to attract the free-travelling concessionaires especially those who don't pay for a Metro Gold Card. GNE aren't fully reimbursed for carrying these passengers so these journeys could possibly be operating at a loss or barely breaking even.

Having regularly been travelling on the metro over the past couple of months, trends seem to crop up. Seaburn is a very popular station - according to Wikipedia it's the busiest station on the Sunderland extension after Sunderland and Park Lane. East Boldon and Stadium of Light are also very well used stations, both of these having park and ride facilities. All three stations are very short walking distances from the X3 route.

I agree it would be a huge shame if the X3 was withdrawn, but it's nothing definite yet, it's just someone's post on Facebook so can't be assumed as fact! Wink But it wouldn't take me by surprise if it was withdrawn. I don't it's frequent or fast enough to be competitive with the Metro. I don't think the number of service changes GNE have had in recent years have helped gain passenger's loyalty either. In June 2010, they axed the 57A which had provided a direct GNE bus between Boldon and Newcastle, leaving the Stagecoach X34 the only direct alternative. At the same time, the 26 had been re-routed through Fellgate Estate which increased journey times considerably and then you still had to change at Heworth for onwards travel to Gateshead and Newcastle. To be fair I don't think GNE have done themselves any favours on this corridor.

Personally, I think I'd be happy to see the return of daytime 26's to Heworth, but only if the two morning trips started from Sunderland/Southwick instead of Hylton Retail Park! That would mean I could get to work using one bus and one metro instead of one bus and two metros.
NEB Admin Team
23 Dec 2012, 5:51 pm #49

You're right! The X3 has always ran on time when I've travelled on it too, it's the reliability of the 26 that's the problem. It's alright coming back home from Newcastle and connecting on to a late 26, but arriving at Boldon ASDA on a late 26 is hopeless even early on a morning when you'd think buses would be on time.

Back to the X3, considering it's an express bus service between two major cities and having operated for well over a year now, I'd say passenger growth has been pretty disappointing. The timetable was scaled back considerably last month with the withdrawal of a few early morning and evening journeys. I still see completely empty buses at certain times of the day too. Off-peak it tends to attract the free-travelling concessionaires especially those who don't pay for a Metro Gold Card. GNE aren't fully reimbursed for carrying these passengers so these journeys could possibly be operating at a loss or barely breaking even.

Having regularly been travelling on the metro over the past couple of months, trends seem to crop up. Seaburn is a very popular station - according to Wikipedia it's the busiest station on the Sunderland extension after Sunderland and Park Lane. East Boldon and Stadium of Light are also very well used stations, both of these having park and ride facilities. All three stations are very short walking distances from the X3 route.

I agree it would be a huge shame if the X3 was withdrawn, but it's nothing definite yet, it's just someone's post on Facebook so can't be assumed as fact! Wink But it wouldn't take me by surprise if it was withdrawn. I don't it's frequent or fast enough to be competitive with the Metro. I don't think the number of service changes GNE have had in recent years have helped gain passenger's loyalty either. In June 2010, they axed the 57A which had provided a direct GNE bus between Boldon and Newcastle, leaving the Stagecoach X34 the only direct alternative. At the same time, the 26 had been re-routed through Fellgate Estate which increased journey times considerably and then you still had to change at Heworth for onwards travel to Gateshead and Newcastle. To be fair I don't think GNE have done themselves any favours on this corridor.

Personally, I think I'd be happy to see the return of daytime 26's to Heworth, but only if the two morning trips started from Sunderland/Southwick instead of Hylton Retail Park! That would mean I could get to work using one bus and one metro instead of one bus and two metros.

Dan

Site Administrator

24 Dec 2012, 9:40 am #50
That time has finally arrived *weep*

The old red and blue Go North East livery has been eliminated from the operational fleet with the repainting of ex-Elcock Dennis Dart 8289: Y558 KUX into the new red livery with Northern fleet names.

Only news given on the Enthusiast Area this week!
Dan
24 Dec 2012, 9:40 am #50

That time has finally arrived *weep*

The old red and blue Go North East livery has been eliminated from the operational fleet with the repainting of ex-Elcock Dennis Dart 8289: Y558 KUX into the new red livery with Northern fleet names.

Only news given on the Enthusiast Area this week!

Michael

24 Dec 2012, 10:28 am #51
Noooooo, shame cause it was the best, didnt expect fleet news this week tbh and the week after =(

Do people not read GNE comments on thier FB page about buses finishing tonight haha
Edited 24 Dec 2012, 10:48 am by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
24 Dec 2012, 10:28 am #51

Noooooo, shame cause it was the best, didnt expect fleet news this week tbh and the week after =(

Do people not read GNE comments on thier FB page about buses finishing tonight haha

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

NEB Admin Team

Unregistered

24 Dec 2012, 4:44 pm #52
End of an era! That livery was all I ever knew of GNE while I was growing up. I think the local identities like Go Wear Buses were still in full force when I was very young, but I just can't remember it.

I assumed it was a Saturday service on all routes today. After hearing the unmistakable groaning sound of a passing MPD, I just caught sight of the 592 passing my front room just a few minutes ago which took me by surprise!
NEB Admin Team
24 Dec 2012, 4:44 pm #52

End of an era! That livery was all I ever knew of GNE while I was growing up. I think the local identities like Go Wear Buses were still in full force when I was very young, but I just can't remember it.

I assumed it was a Saturday service on all routes today. After hearing the unmistakable groaning sound of a passing MPD, I just caught sight of the 592 passing my front room just a few minutes ago which took me by surprise!

24 Dec 2012, 10:06 pm #53
(23 Dec 2012, 4:36 pm)Daniel I think it's ludicrous that Go North East could even consider withdrawing the X3 service. The X3 is the only bus service that can get to Newcastle in (almost) the same time as the Metro. Takes 15-20 minutes longer I guess, but that's nothing in comparison to the 56 service.

The X3 needs promoting, not withdrawing. It doesn't help its popularity that the Citaros have gone, that its lost its branding or that there's now no a.m. peak hour bus from Newcastle to Sunderland or p.m. peak service back. GNE needs to look at its overall network, not just at individual routes, and it seems to me that a fast Newcastle - Sunderland service is an essential part of a network.
Greg in Weardale
24 Dec 2012, 10:06 pm #53

(23 Dec 2012, 4:36 pm)Daniel I think it's ludicrous that Go North East could even consider withdrawing the X3 service. The X3 is the only bus service that can get to Newcastle in (almost) the same time as the Metro. Takes 15-20 minutes longer I guess, but that's nothing in comparison to the 56 service.

The X3 needs promoting, not withdrawing. It doesn't help its popularity that the Citaros have gone, that its lost its branding or that there's now no a.m. peak hour bus from Newcastle to Sunderland or p.m. peak service back. GNE needs to look at its overall network, not just at individual routes, and it seems to me that a fast Newcastle - Sunderland service is an essential part of a network.

Michael

26 Dec 2012, 2:10 pm #54
Has anyone got pics of today's odd workings in the Sunderland Area

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
26 Dec 2012, 2:10 pm #54

Has anyone got pics of today's odd workings in the Sunderland Area

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

dan

Unregistered

26 Dec 2012, 2:23 pm #55
(26 Dec 2012, 2:10 pm)Michael Has anyone got pics of today's odd workings in the Sunderland Area

no pics but simplicity 9
dan
26 Dec 2012, 2:23 pm #55

(26 Dec 2012, 2:10 pm)Michael Has anyone got pics of today's odd workings in the Sunderland Area

no pics but simplicity 9

Dan

Site Administrator

26 Dec 2012, 5:04 pm #56
I've only got the one picture in Sunderland today - and, as Dan said, it was a "SimpliCity" branded Optare Versa on the 9.
I shall upload all of my photos (taken with my new camera) later this evening.
Dan
26 Dec 2012, 5:04 pm #56

I've only got the one picture in Sunderland today - and, as Dan said, it was a "SimpliCity" branded Optare Versa on the 9.
I shall upload all of my photos (taken with my new camera) later this evening.

Tom

26 Dec 2012, 6:55 pm #57
Can you give me a list of allocations, or would you rather surprise me with your pic, Dan ;-)
Tom
26 Dec 2012, 6:55 pm #57

Can you give me a list of allocations, or would you rather surprise me with your pic, Dan ;-)

Dan

Site Administrator

26 Dec 2012, 9:25 pm #58
(26 Dec 2012, 6:55 pm)W179SCU Can you give me a list of allocations, or would you rather surprise me with your pic, Dan ;-)

I'd rather surprise you! After three hours of extensive captioning, all 34 have been uploaded! See hyperlinked numbers for appropriate photos.

Washington:
X1: "Prince Bishops" branded Scania L94UB/Wright Solar - 1, 2, 3

M1: "Northern" branded Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown - 1

M1: "Fast Cats" branded Scania L94UB/Wright Solar - 1

88: "Laser" branded Mercedes Benz Citaro (S.Blair250) - 1

Stanley:
43/44: "Lime" branded Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown - 1, 2

Winlaton:
10A/11: "Tyne Tees eXpress" branded Volvo B9TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini - 1, 2, 3

10A/11: "The Loop" branded Scania L94UB/Wright Solar - 1, 2, 3

47: "Whey Aye Five O" branded Scania L94UB/Wright Solar - 1, 2

47: "Northern" branded Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown - 1

49/49B: "Crusader" branded Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown - 1, 2, 3

Percy Main:
310: "Poppy Bus" branded Scania L94UB/Wright Solar - 1

310: "Highwayman" branded Scania L94UB/Wright Solar - 1

310: "Fab Fifty Seven" branded Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown - 1

309: "Northern" branded Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown - 1

9: "SimpliCity" branded Optare Versa - 1

Arriva:
44: "Saltwell Park" branded Optare Versa - 1
Dan
26 Dec 2012, 9:25 pm #58

(26 Dec 2012, 6:55 pm)W179SCU Can you give me a list of allocations, or would you rather surprise me with your pic, Dan ;-)

I'd rather surprise you! After three hours of extensive captioning, all 34 have been uploaded! See hyperlinked numbers for appropriate photos.

Washington:
X1: "Prince Bishops" branded Scania L94UB/Wright Solar - 1, 2, 3

M1: "Northern" branded Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown - 1

M1: "Fast Cats" branded Scania L94UB/Wright Solar - 1

88: "Laser" branded Mercedes Benz Citaro (S.Blair250) - 1

Stanley:
43/44: "Lime" branded Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown - 1, 2

Winlaton:
10A/11: "Tyne Tees eXpress" branded Volvo B9TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini - 1, 2, 3

10A/11: "The Loop" branded Scania L94UB/Wright Solar - 1, 2, 3

47: "Whey Aye Five O" branded Scania L94UB/Wright Solar - 1, 2

47: "Northern" branded Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown - 1

49/49B: "Crusader" branded Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown - 1, 2, 3

Percy Main:
310: "Poppy Bus" branded Scania L94UB/Wright Solar - 1

310: "Highwayman" branded Scania L94UB/Wright Solar - 1

310: "Fab Fifty Seven" branded Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown - 1

309: "Northern" branded Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown - 1

9: "SimpliCity" branded Optare Versa - 1

Arriva:
44: "Saltwell Park" branded Optare Versa - 1

Tom

26 Dec 2012, 10:39 pm #59
Right, cheers Wink - Does anyone know what operated the 1?
Tom
26 Dec 2012, 10:39 pm #59

Right, cheers Wink - Does anyone know what operated the 1?

Dan

Site Administrator

26 Dec 2012, 11:13 pm #60
(26 Dec 2012, 10:39 pm)W179SCU Right, cheers Wink - Does anyone know what operated the 1?

As it was only between Whitley Bay and North Shields, I didn't get to see it! Shame really..!

As a note to everyone - I was reminded of my Go North East fleet list that I have updated and maintained myself earlier today... It is a mixture of both the allocations publication and the fleet list itself.
It hadn't - before tonight - been updated for little over two months, but I have got through it all and updated it. Quite a lot of work I had missed out: vehicles had been sold, vehicles had been withdrawn, vehicles had been added, vehicles had moved and vehicles had changed their brand!
Would anyone be interested in me releasing this weekly - same time as GNE update their own (if they manage to update it themselves)..? Just wondering. :L
Dan
26 Dec 2012, 11:13 pm #60

(26 Dec 2012, 10:39 pm)W179SCU Right, cheers Wink - Does anyone know what operated the 1?

As it was only between Whitley Bay and North Shields, I didn't get to see it! Shame really..!

As a note to everyone - I was reminded of my Go North East fleet list that I have updated and maintained myself earlier today... It is a mixture of both the allocations publication and the fleet list itself.
It hadn't - before tonight - been updated for little over two months, but I have got through it all and updated it. Quite a lot of work I had missed out: vehicles had been sold, vehicles had been withdrawn, vehicles had been added, vehicles had moved and vehicles had changed their brand!
Would anyone be interested in me releasing this weekly - same time as GNE update their own (if they manage to update it themselves)..? Just wondering. :L

Pages (4) Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average