You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Bus Related Outings and Reviews

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews
(01 Mar 2015, 3:24 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Quick question: with an Explorer, could I use Northern Rail trains between the MetroCentre and Newcastle, Heworth and Newcastle, etc?

It's just I find the Network One website a bit confusing.

Thanks.

Yeah you can use them from Blaydon to Sunderland Smile
Marxista Fozzski
(01 Mar 2015, 3:24 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Quick question: with an Explorer, could I use Northern Rail trains between the MetroCentre and Newcastle, Heworth and Newcastle, etc?

It's just I find the Network One website a bit confusing.

Thanks.
I am sure tbe explorer is only valjd between Newcastle and Sunderland on Northern Trains
(01 Mar 2015, 3:28 pm)MrFozz wrote I am sure tbe explorer is only valjd between Newcastle and Sunderland on Northern Trains

No, you can use them to Blaydon. 
(01 Mar 2015, 3:28 pm)MrFozz wrote I am sure tbe explorer is only valjd between Newcastle and Sunderland on Northern Trains

Leaflet says Sunderland to Newcastle, but the website says Sunderland to Blaydon, in the footer.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Because hardly any trains stop at Blaydon - i could possibly see why you have been led to believe that they are only valid between Newcastle and Sunderland.
(01 Mar 2015, 12:29 pm)Tom wrote I thought I would be able to get a ticket which I can use on the X2, and just get a £1.10 day ticket to get the 1 back.

Thanks for your help.

The £6.40 Durham District ticket is valid throughout on the X2 to Newcastle, though I'm not sure whether you can purchase it in Newcastle? 

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(01 Mar 2015, 5:03 pm)tyresmoke wrote The £6.40 Durham District ticket is valid throughout on the X2 to Newcastle, though I'm not sure whether you can purchase it in Newcastle? 

I'm not sure - if you can use it, I don't see why you couldn't purchase it though? 
It's like the £7 Durham County day ticket is valid all over (Darlington, Middlesbrough, Sunderland etc) but I'm not sure you could purchase it in those towns. Just like concessionary passes with carer addition, they can travel from Durham to other areas but can't travel back for free

(01 Mar 2015, 5:09 pm)tyresmoke wrote It's like the £7 Durham County day ticket is valid all over (Darlington, Middlesbrough, Sunderland etc) but I'm not sure you could purchase it in those towns. Just like concessionary passes with carer addition, they can travel from Durham to other areas but can't travel back for free

Ah okay thats a bit confusing!

I might just get a £7.50 All Zones Day Ticket then, as it's only 50p difference.

Cheers Smile
(01 Mar 2015, 5:10 pm)Tom wrote Ah okay thats a bit confusing!

I might just get a £7.50 All Zones Day Ticket then, as it's only 50p difference.

Cheers Smile

£7.70 the all zone ticket

Site Administrator
(01 Mar 2015, 5:09 pm)tyresmoke wrote It's like the £7 Durham County day ticket is valid all over (Darlington, Middlesbrough, Sunderland etc) but I'm not sure you could purchase it in those towns. Just like concessionary passes with carer addition, they can travel from Durham to other areas but can't travel back for free

It is valid to purchase in Sunderland.

A young girl purchased one on the X21 the other week and she had to point to the options on the ETM as the driver had no idea what the ticket was or how to issue it.

Depends where your travelling to/from. Tyne and Wear, Durham, Darlington and Northumberland issued cards are available to/from all the above areas. 
Site Administrator
(01 Mar 2015, 6:19 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Out of pure boredom, for next week's review - where would anyone like to see me visit?

If I get a handful, I may start taking requests each week...Angel

Berwick-upon-Tweed, Carlisle, Middlesbrough... Get ya sel away on an All Zones Arriva day ticket! Wink 
(01 Mar 2015, 6:19 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Out of pure boredom, for next week's review - where would anyone like to see me visit?

It'll be like the new Ross Kemp on Gangs this...

Marcus on buses: young enthusiast from Chester Le Street travels the most dangerous areas of the region, in search of an Olympian or Lime branded renown.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Purely because I like to see your massive reviews, and when you complain Wink then maybe Newcastle, or further north, possibly for some journeys on MAX/Sapphire to Ashington, Blyth or Morpeth, and if you do get to Blyth, there'll be a B5 waiting (possibly, it is Blyth) to take you back on a 308 Wink I know how much you like GNE's after all Smile 

What I was hinting at with the "complain" point Wink
#X22 - Newcastle, Haymarket to Regent Centre Metro - (12:45 --- 12:55) - ANE 7528 - Dennis Trident 2/Alexander Enviro400

I've never been a fan of these E400s, mainly because of the refurb. They just don't feel nice inside, bit too furistic for some reason I can't explain. At least it was only 10 minutes, if I'd had it all the way to Ashington I would have gone insane. Some people say the 21s are unbearable - spend 10 minutes on one of these and you'll lose the will to live!!

#X10 - Regent Centre Metro to Newcastle, Haymarket - (13:00 --- 13:09) - ANE 7616 - VDL DB300/Wright Gemini 2
Better than 7528, but I still can't get my head around these MAXs and Sapphires up in Newcastle - they just aren't what I'm used to and I don't like them. The seats are unbearably uncomfortable, and they just aren't nice imo.

A tour of the suburbs of Western Gateshead.

Chopwell, High Spen, Rowlands Gill, Blaydon, Winlaton, Ryton, Crawcrook and Greenside.

Use GCT where there are no direct GNE links. Venture down to Clara Vale or even up to Burnopfield and back while touring the estates of Rowlands Gill and Highfield.
(01 Mar 2015, 6:21 pm)Dan wrote Berwick-upon-Tweed, Carlisle, Middlesbrough... Get ya sel away on an All Zones Arriva day ticket! Wink 

Nee fuken' way Dan lad hew. 'A may cunsider Boro. Wink

(01 Mar 2015, 6:23 pm)aureolin wrote It'll be like the new Ross Kemp on Gangs this...

Marcus on buses: young enthusiast from Chester Le Street travels the most dangerous areas of the region, in search of an Olympian or Lime branded renown.

Absolutely love it. Big Grin I may leave the Limes or Olympian hunting next Saturday...in favour of an Explorer!

(01 Mar 2015, 6:24 pm)mb134 wrote Purely because I like to see your massive reviews, and when you complain Wink then maybe Newcastle, or further north, possibly for some journeys on MAX/Sapphire to Ashington, Blyth or Morpeth, and if you do get to Blyth, there'll be a B5 waiting (possibly, it is Blyth) to take you back on a 308 Wink I know how much you like GNE's after all Smile

Maybe. Maybe. Might head up that way if the spirit leads me...Angel

(01 Mar 2015, 6:24 pm)MurdnunoC wrote A tour of the suburbs of Western Gateshead.

Chopwell, High Spen, Rowlands Gill, Blaydon, Winlaton, Ryton, Crawcrook and Greenside.

Use GCT where there are no direct GNE links. Venture down to Clara Vale or even up to Burnopfield and back while touring the estates of Rowlands Gill and Highfield.

Interesting...I could squeeze in Winlaton/Blaydon I suppose. Plenty of links between the two.

3rd Party Suggestion: Go on a Dan hunt. Big Grin
Get yourself to North Tyneside and ride the horrid B10BLEs on the 17.

I'm sure you'll have something to say about 4912 and 4913, and of course 5165!
Marxista Fozzski
(01 Mar 2015, 6:23 pm)aureolin wrote It'll be like the new Ross Kemp on Gangs this...

Marcus goes investigate what benefit buses has had on Fencehouses and continues the search for Fencehouses very own Scarlet Pimpernel
If you decide to head over to Western Gateshead, try and use this service:

TB15 - Blaydon - Garden House Estate

It leaves Blaydon at 09:47, 10:47, 11:47, 12:47, 13:47 and 14:47 and could feasibly be any vehicle from one of those Bluebird minibus things to an actual taxi. You might also be the only person to use the service that day, week or month. 

Stanley, Consett, Chester-le-Street 
See which place you get shot/stabbed or interrogated by chavs in first Tongue
Plus, if you go there you will be at the hub to see Lime Renowns and Olympians out in service Smile 
(01 Mar 2015, 6:50 pm)Robert wrote Stanley, Consett, Chester-le-Street 
See which place you get shot/stabbed or interrogated by chavs in first Tongue
Plus, if you go there you will be at the hub to see Lime Renowns and Olympians out in service Smile 

I still value my life thank you. Wink
(01 Mar 2015, 6:28 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Maybe. Maybe. Might head up that way if the spirit leads me...Angel

Just a suggestion, if you do decide to head that way:
(Looking back through your previous reviews, I'm guessing you live in/near Chester Le Street, so I'll start it from there Smile  )

10.09 X2 Chester Le Street- Newcastle Eldon Square 10.45
10.54 X21 Newcastle Haymarket- Bedlington Market Place 11.29
(Would have suggested to get off at Bedlington Meadowdale and go to Morpeth from here, however the X21 and 2 both arrive at 11.26, so it's very tight, instead you could get off at the Market Place, you'll see a half built building, and go to Greggs, the 2 to Morpeth will then stop at the other side of the road, next to said building)
11.43 2 Bedlington to Morpeth Bus Station 12.09 
12.17 35 Morpeth to Ashington Bus Station 12.36
12.53 1 Ashington to Blyth Bus Station 1.23
1.28 308 Blyth Bus Station to Newcastle Haymarket 2.31
2.50 X2 Newcastle Haymarket to Chester Le Street 3.26

Just a suggestion, again Smile Some of the places you might need to find  the bus stop for the next section, especally at Ashington Bus Station, you'll be dropped off next to a shop after driving through the section that you would need to get the 1 to Blyth from Smile

Sunderland, Washington, Jarrow, Heworth??
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(01 Mar 2015, 6:52 pm)mb134 wrote Just a suggestion, if you do decide to head that way:
(Looking back through your previous reviews, I'm guessing you live in/near Chester Le Street, so I'll start it from there Smile  )

10.09 X2 Chester Le Street- Newcastle Eldon Square 10.45
10.54 X21 Newcastle Haymarket- Bedlington Market Place 11.29
(Would have suggested to get off at Bedlington Meadowdale and go to Morpeth from here, however the X21 and 2 both arrive at 11.26, so it's very tight, instead you could get off at the Market Place, you'll see a half built building, and go to Greggs, the 2 to Morpeth will then stop at the other side of the road, next to said building)
11.43 2 Bedlington to Morpeth Bus Station 12.09 
12.17 35 Morpeth to Ashington Bus Station 12.36
12.53 1 Ashington to Blyth Bus Station 1.23
1.28 308 Blyth Bus Station to Newcastle Haymarket 2.31
2.50 X2 Newcastle Haymarket to Chester Le Street 3.26

Just a suggestion, again Smile Some of the places you might need to find  the bus stop for the next section, especally at Ashington Bus Station, you'll be dropped off next to a shop after driving through the section that you would need to get the 1 to Blyth from Smile

That's a great plan. Smile

Yes, I am a Chester-le-Street resident...a joke I've had in my while now regarding 'residents' is that instead of calling 3885-3891 the 'Native Presidents'...we should call them the 'Resident Presidents'. (I'm sorry).