Menu

Pages (67)    156 57 5867   
Michael   17 Mar 2015, 6:24 pm
(17 Mar 2015, 6:22 pm)park5354 wrote keep the B7RLEs at riverside for Fab57, allowing 5 B10's to be withdrawn.

I wonder if cadets 8242-6 are leaving Riverside for a new life ????

You know what, i agree, its about time the 57 got decent buses back. 

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
S813 FVK   17 Mar 2015, 6:27 pm
(17 Mar 2015, 6:17 pm)aureolin wrote Not really? The B7RLEs were last painted about 5 years ago now, so are probably due a fresh coat of paint. I'd imagine there'd be some sense them going into the red corporate livery, so that they can take on more of a 'spare' role in the later days. At the same time, the Red Kite Omni's are most likely going to need a repaint anyway.

I'd still say the cost would be high for what you get out of it...it may seem cheap compared to other things but repainting a bus doesn't require a couple of tins of paint from B&Q. My argument doesnt involve the Red Kite omnicities - it does however involve the 4 corporate liveried omnis at Percy Main which will need to be repainted purple. Add the costs of all 9 repaints together and takeaway the average selling of a B10BLE to the scrapman - see how much profit is made or how much money is lost. I think it may cost more than we think and thats without me doing any research.
Michael   17 Mar 2015, 6:31 pm
(17 Mar 2015, 6:27 pm)Robert wrote I'd still say the cost would be high for what you get out of it...it may seem cheap compared to other things but repainting a bus doesn't require a couple of tins of paint from B&Q. My argument doesnt involve the Red Kite omnicities - it does however involve the 4 corporate liveried omnis at Percy Main which will need to be repainted purple. Add the costs of all 9 repaints together and takeaway the average selling of a B10BLE to the scrapman - see how much profit is made or how much money is lost. I think it may cost more than we think and thats without me doing any research.

They could stay red, so they have a red Toonlink brand.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
omnicity4659   17 Mar 2015, 6:34 pm
(17 Mar 2015, 6:31 pm)Michael wrote They could stay red, so they have a red Toonlink brand.

ToonLink
(MACKEMS!)
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Adrian   17 Mar 2015, 6:40 pm
(17 Mar 2015, 6:27 pm)Robert wrote I'd still say the cost would be high for what you get out of it...it may seem cheap compared to other things but repainting a bus doesn't require a couple of tins of paint from B&Q. My argument doesnt involve the Red Kite omnicities - it does however involve the 4 corporate liveried omnis at Percy Main which will need to be repainted purple. Add the costs of all 9 repaints together and takeaway the average selling of a B10BLE to the scrapman - see how much profit is made or how much money is lost. I think it may cost more than we think and thats without me doing any research.

But at the same time, over 100 buses are being repainted, simply to remove the 'Northern' name from them? You need not patronise me about the cost of paint. It's a long time since I was wet behind the ears! Smile

The company have shown time and time again, that if something needs doing, it'll be done properly.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
S813 FVK   17 Mar 2015, 6:55 pm
(17 Mar 2015, 6:40 pm)aureolin wrote But at the same time, over 100 buses are being repainted, simply to remove the 'Northern' name from them? You need not patronise me about the cost of paint. It's a long time since I was wet behind the ears! Smile

The company have shown time and time again, that if something needs doing, it'll be done properly.

But thats probably because the whole point of the 'Northern' branding was to bring back the name for the upcoming '100 years' celebrations. I feel like im dismissing your points to put me on top but in theory im not. Its merely the fact that in this instance, the Northern repaints aren't involved and its merely a case of justifying whether it would be worth repainting 9 buses to replace 1 and keep a brand consistent with the same vehicle type throughout which i don't think would financially work as the outcome of the whole operation would probably not match the amount spent during the input procedure.
Jackamcardle   17 Mar 2015, 8:40 pm
So today I've heard that the Streetlites are in Saltmeadows, any idea how long it will be until they're in service?
Michael   17 Mar 2015, 8:46 pm
(17 Mar 2015, 8:40 pm)Jackamcardle wrote So today I've heard that the Streetlites are in Saltmeadows, any idea how long it will be until they're in service?

1 has arrived, 2-3 weeks before they enter service.

More info in the GNE latest thread.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Malarkey   17 Mar 2015, 8:50 pm
(17 Mar 2015, 6:55 pm)Robert wrote But thats probably because the whole point of the 'Northern' branding was to bring back the name for the upcoming '100 years' celebrations. I feel like im dismissing your points to put me on top but in theory im not. Its merely the fact that in this instance, the Northern repaints aren't involved and its merely a case of justifying whether it would be worth repainting 9 buses to replace 1 and keep a brand consistent with the same vehicle type throughout which i don't think would financially work as the outcome of the whole operation would probably not match the amount spent during the input procedure.
To be honest I dont see the Red Kite Omnicities being repainted Purple if my Journey on the 31 at around 16:20pm from the MetroCentre to Eldon Square was anything to go by yesterday evening, as there was only me and two other passengers on board, its not first time I have used the Toonlink Services and there certainly hasnt been many passengers on board at all, therefore I can the 11/31/32 going into Corporate Livery using the Omnicities.

Really is it any wonder the 31/32 in particular are running around empty between Winlaton - Blaydon - MetroCentre and Newcastle when you also have the following services also operating along parts of the route.

10/10A/10B - Every 10 Minutes
43/44 - Every 15 Minutes
45/46 - Every 15 Minutes
49/49A/49B - Every 10 Minutes

The only benefit of the 31/32 is a direct link between Winlaton and Newcastle, vast majority of Passengers living in Winlaton will likely get on the 49s to Blaydon and then get on the 10s from there onwards to Newcastle because it is just as quick and they will get to use the Free Wifi on board the B9TLs, As for the 47 I think that will retain the Toonlink Branding and will use whatever the 4 New Vehicles are which Citaro5284 mentioned the other day.
markydh   17 Mar 2015, 9:52 pm
I cannot agree. There's no way people will choose to change buses if they don't have to. The vast majority do not use or even care about free wifi either!
Dan   17 Mar 2015, 9:55 pm
(17 Mar 2015, 9:52 pm)markydh wrote I cannot agree. There's no way people will choose to change buses if they don't have to. The vast majority do not use or even care about free wifi either!

The account statistics for data used over our Wi-Fi service provided on 122 buses suggests otherwise...
Malarkey   17 Mar 2015, 10:26 pm
(17 Mar 2015, 9:55 pm)Dan wrote The account statistics for data used over our Wi-Fi service provided on 122 buses suggests otherwise...

Didnt either you or citaro5284 say that over 800GB of Data is used each month at the moment, certainly backs up the above statement, I certainly think those living in Winlaton will get on the 49 and then the 10 at Blaydon to get to Newcastle, sure the Data on the Ticket Machine will prove this somehow.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
markydh   18 Mar 2015, 12:40 am
Data usage means nothing. A far more useful statistic would be the amount of individual connections each day when compared to the total number of passengers. And equally the number of passengers who actually make that change (49 -> 10/A/B) when compared to the number of direct passengers. I might also add that the re-routing that occurred within Blaydon of the 31 and 32 was a direct result of passenger feedback having lost their direct bus (along the full length of Shibdon Road) when the 41 and 42 were withdrawn a few years ago.

Incidentally, the 31 and 32 can't be doing too badly. Compared the many routes operated by the 'change every 6 month' company, they have remained pretty stable for ages. Like most bus routes, they are peaky. Eastbound in the morning and Westbound in the evening. Witnessing the odd service every so often in the quietest part of the day or in the above case, entirely against the peak flow, isn't a particularly useful guage of the general usefulness and profitability of a route. People witnessing my own local service, the X82, might see the odd quiet run in the middle of the day, but the frequency has remained the same for 10 years. Stagecoach are no mugs. Nor are GNE. Wifi is a nice addition but I still doubt the majority of people would choose to go out of their way to change buses to have it for 20 minutes or so when they can just stay on the same bus all the way to exactly the same bus station.

I should also add that the fact a few forum members WOULD make such an change is no surprise. There is a distinctly young demographic on here, bar a few older types like myself (only in my thirties but still) Younger people like having wifi. Your average pensioner, the demographic most appreciative of direct routes, wouldn't care two hoots about it.
Drifter60   18 Mar 2015, 8:00 am
The idea of wifi is a great addition, but I cannot agree it impacts decision on which bus to get. I fail to see that anyone would choose to change buses JUST to get free wifi. Likewise, apart from a couple of scholars Dan mentioned, I doubt people chose the 60 over 61 if going Sunderland-New Seaham.
(Also my friend couldn't connect on Tuesday to the drifter wifi, never did get fleet number, apologies)
Andreos1   18 Mar 2015, 8:11 am
(18 Mar 2015, 12:40 am)markydh wrote Data usage means nothing. A far more useful statistic would be the amount of individual connections each day when compared to the total number of passengers. And equally the number of passengers who actually make that change (49 -> 10/A/B) when compared to the number of direct passengers. I might also add that the re-routing that occurred within Blaydon of the 31 and 32 was a direct result of passenger feedback having lost their direct bus (along the full length of Shibdon Road) when the 41 and 42 were withdrawn a few years ago.

Incidentally, the 31 and 32 can't be doing too badly. Compared the many routes operated by the 'change every 6 month' company, they have remained pretty stable for ages. Like most bus routes, they are peaky. Eastbound in the morning and Westbound in the evening. Witnessing the odd service every so often in the quietest part of the day or in the above case, entirely against the peak flow, isn't a particularly useful guage of the general usefulness and profitability of a route. People witnessing my own local service, the X82, might see the odd quiet run in the middle of the day, but the frequency has remained the same for 10 years. Stagecoach are no mugs. Nor are GNE. Wifi is a nice addition but I still doubt the majority of people would choose to go out of their way to change buses to have it for 20 minutes or so when they can just stay on the same bus all the way to exactly the same bus station.

I should also add that the fact a few forum members WOULD make such an change is no surprise. There is a distinctly young demographic on here, bar a few older types like myself (only in my thirties but still) Younger people like having wifi. Your average pensioner, the demographic most appreciative of direct routes, wouldn't care two hoots about it.

(18 Mar 2015, 8:00 am)Drifter60 wrote The idea of wifi is a great addition, but I cannot agree it impacts decision on which bus to get. I fail to see that anyone would choose to change buses JUST to get free wifi. Likewise, apart from a couple of scholars Dan mentioned, I doubt people chose the 60 over 61 if going Sunderland-New Seaham.
(Also my friend couldn't connect on Tuesday to the drifter wifi, never did get fleet number, apologies)

I agree with a lot of the points made here.

When looking at anything like this, cost versus benefit, is always a handy tool.
Obviously unless we are insiders or have some knowledge,we can only assume costs. We can all guess the benefits.
Is it safe to assume profits increase, covering the initial outlay? If they do increase and costs are covered, I would love to know the rate of return - not that I expect to find out.

The decision/refusal to obtain user details and demographics when logging on, is also a curious one.
By asking passengers to register, you instantly obtain a wide range of data, useful for analysis and much more.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
LeeCalder   18 Mar 2015, 8:15 am
Ideally I think the 'Toon Link' should be black and white and 'Sunderland Connect' red and white
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
MrFozz   18 Mar 2015, 10:09 am
(18 Mar 2015, 8:15 am)leestransportphotos wrote Ideally I think the 'Toon Link' should be black and white and 'Sunderland Connect' red and white
Why...They have nothing to do with the Football Clubs
LeeCalder   18 Mar 2015, 10:58 am
I didn't say they were.... What traditionally Newcastle is B&W and Sunderland is R&W
S813 FVK   18 Mar 2015, 4:46 pm
(18 Mar 2015, 10:58 am)leestransportphotos wrote I didn't say they were.... What traditionally Newcastle is B&W and Sunderland is R&W

And you were saying the colour of those streetlites was bad! Id rather stick with the purple and pink thanks. Not everybody is football mad (Which is the only thing relating to the two cities that are the colours you're suggesting).
LeeCalder   18 Mar 2015, 4:48 pm
Yeah I've just got a picture of a red and white 'Sunderland Connect' drifting around S'land.... It's not a pretty sight haha
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Michael   18 Mar 2015, 5:07 pm
The Sunderland connect contract is up for tender this year, think its around July.

So we might see the hybrids to go in for repaint in the coming months... maybe for a refresh or total new colour, if GNE loose it.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
LeeCalder   18 Mar 2015, 6:24 pm
Are they Nexus owned?
Michael   18 Mar 2015, 6:47 pm
(18 Mar 2015, 6:24 pm)leestransportphotos wrote Are they Nexus owned?

Sunderland Connect is funded by Sunderland uni and NEXUS, GNE may have contrubuted to the buying of the buses... although not sure.

Citaro will be able to answer that Smile

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
LeeCalder   18 Mar 2015, 6:48 pm
Ah right thanks, it's just the only time I've ever seen more than 2/3 people on it is.... Never
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
idiot   18 Mar 2015, 11:10 pm
I often see them with no seats free!
roar   18 Mar 2015, 11:38 pm
(18 Mar 2015, 11:10 pm)idiot wrote I often see them with no seats free!

You beat me to it, 75% of the time I see them it's near enough full. Is it free for university students?
roar   18 Mar 2015, 11:43 pm
(18 Mar 2015, 10:58 am)leestransportphotos wrote I didn't say they were.... What traditionally Newcastle is B&W and Sunderland is R&W

Its been done before with HMB.

Newcastle one Tune army bus

After a quick search I cant find the Sunderland one, Wear fm if memory serves me correct.
Michael   18 Mar 2015, 11:51 pm
(18 Mar 2015, 11:38 pm)roar wrote You beat me to it, 75% of the time I see them it's near enough full. Is it free for university students?

Ye but only if they have their Sunderland uni ID card.

The 700 does a decent route, i still think it should go to Roker during the Spring and on weekends though.. this summer they should extend it to Seaburn after it goes to Roker.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
roar   18 Mar 2015, 11:57 pm
(18 Mar 2015, 11:51 pm)Michael wrote Ye but only if they have their Sunderland uni ID card.

The 700 does a decent route, i still think it should go to Roker during the Spring and on weekends though.. this summer they should extend it to Seaburn after it goes to Roker.

Only thing that would worry me there is the ENCTS passengers taking over then the uni removing any subsidy due to there students being left behind. 
idiot   19 Mar 2015, 12:18 am
I think it needs bigger buses. But additional 701 journeys were introduced to combat the crowding.
Pages (67)    156 57 5867