Menu

Pages (67)    159 60 6167   
Malarkey   01 Apr 2015, 4:18 pm
(01 Apr 2015, 4:05 pm)Dan wrote Just because a 15-minute frequency could not be justified on two sections of the route does not mean to say that it's a "loss-making service". Are you suggesting that the 56 is a "loss-making service" because it was reduced to a 12-minute frequency opposed to its previous 10 minute frequency? I think not.

As for the majority of passengers being concessionary pass holders - all bus operators receive a "no better no worse off" average fare for these customers.

The 56 I think we are all aware was reduced to therefore improve Reliability of the Service which is completely understandable given the the length and time it takes to go from A to B, which I might say looks to of worked, how often since the changes do you see a 56 running in twos or threes, I certainly I havent seen it occur whether that while on the 56, or passing by on another Service e.g. X1, how often has a 56 since the service changes been terminated at Gateshead and awaited time there due to being late, personally I dont know the answer to the latter but I would guess it doesnt happen at all now, and would I say the 56 is a "Loss Making Service", would it of received the investment in New Vehicles in 2013 if it was? I think not.
JP6004   01 Apr 2015, 4:48 pm
(01 Apr 2015, 4:18 pm)Malarkey wrote The 56 I think we are all aware was reduced to therefore improve Reliability of the Service which is completely understandable given the the length and time it takes to go from A to B, which I might say looks to of worked, how often since the changes do you see a 56 running in twos or threes, I certainly I havent seen it occur whether that while on the 56, or passing by on another Service e.g. X1, how often has a 56 since the service changes been terminated at Gateshead and awaited time there due to being late, personally I dont know the answer to the latter but I would guess it doesnt happen at all now, and would I say the 56 is a "Loss Making Service", would it of received the investment in New Vehicles in 2013 if it was? I think not.

To be fair I have still seen the 56 and 27 a few mins apart or in 2s or 3s. Yes the reliability has improved, however they are still occasionally regulated at Gateshead. I think it was the right decision to reduce the frequency of the 56 and 27. There have been numerous times when it was carrying little more than fresh air; especially between Sulgrave and Sunderland.

In regard to the 82/82A/85/86, I do think the 85 & 86 do carry the most numbers. However I wouldn't say the services are making a loss. I can totally understand the curtailing of 82/82A as the majority of people use the 4 to get to Heworth as its the quickest option. To be fair, since the 4 was increased to every 20mins on an evening, I would say the numbers travelling toward Heworth have increased........so all in all a good decision.
Malarkey   01 Apr 2015, 5:07 pm
(01 Apr 2015, 4:48 pm)JP6004 wrote To be fair I have still seen the 56 and 27 a few mins apart or in 2s or 3s. Yes the reliability has improved, however they are still occasionally regulated at Gateshead. I think it was the right decision to reduce the frequency of the 56 and 27. There have been numerous times when it was carrying little more than fresh air; especially between Sulgrave and Sunderland.

In regard to the 82/82A/85/86, I do think the 85 & 86 do carry the most numbers. However I wouldn't say the services are making a loss. I can totally understand the curtailing of 82/82A as the majority of people use the 4 to get to Heworth as its the quickest option. To be fair, since the 4 was increased to every 20mins on an evening, I would say the numbers travelling toward Heworth have increased........so all in all a good decision.
Yes but that is a result of scrapping the GNE operated 82 on an evening between Heworth and Concord.
Andreos1   01 Apr 2015, 5:16 pm
(01 Apr 2015, 5:07 pm)Malarkey wrote Yes but that is a result of scrapping the GNE operated 82 on an evening between Heworth and Concord.

Which, according to them - wasn't making enough money.
The re-jig of the services this year, will have been for a couple of different reasons.
Which, may have been to reduce losses OR increase margins.

The mean/average loads and fares, may have justified the reducing of frequency.

However, the downside to reducing a frequency, can be the ongoing drop in passenger numbers. The exact opposite of the pattern that can emerge when a service is pump primed (like the X1 or 56).

Time will tell, whether the change has worked or not.
Personally, I have found the changes inconvenient and where in the past, I could turn up and know a bus would (or should turn up), with a decent frequency at either the Galleries or Birtley (even it meant a quick sprint across a road or up a hill in Birtley).
The changes have put me off using the service and my usage has dropped.

Do you know if they have sorted the map on the timetable out yet?
Having the incorrect route, can't help.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Malarkey   01 Apr 2015, 6:18 pm
(01 Apr 2015, 5:16 pm)Andreos1 wrote Which, according to them - wasn't making enough money.
The re-jig of the services this year, will have been for a couple of different reasons.
Which, may have been to reduce losses OR increase margins.

The mean/average loads and fares, may have justified the reducing of frequency.

However, the downside to reducing a frequency, can be the ongoing drop in passenger numbers. The exact opposite of the pattern that can emerge when a service is pump primed (like the X1 or 56).

Time will tell, whether the change has worked or not.
Personally, I have found the changes inconvenient and where in the past, I could turn up and know a bus would (or should turn up), with a decent frequency at either the Galleries or Birtley (even it meant a quick sprint across a road or up a hill in Birtley).
The changes have put me off using the service and my usage has dropped.

Do you know if they have sorted the map on the timetable out yet?
Having the incorrect route, can't help.
And is it any wonder it wasnt making any money when Arriva are operating the Evening Service from Concord to Birtley and all Tickets purchased on the Arriva Service are Valid as a Through Ticket, and Vice Versa with Go North East, quite obvious who got the better end of that deal isnt it, As for the Map by the looks of it I think it has been updated.
pcvdriver   04 Apr 2015, 7:00 am
(01 Apr 2015, 3:22 pm)grandad wrote Chinese whispers in the foothills of Consett!  V8 is getting bigger buses (Streetlites?) and the 47 is extended to Consett in place of the V9.  If it happens, there would be surplus Solos available.

That might tally with the RUMOURS at peterlee,  "MPDs already sold, new buses on the way, then newer buses instead, multiple mentions of Solos, Summer mentioned as the likely time for it happening". Think they'd need 15, but I'm sure that someone will correct me on the numbers..
R852 PRG   04 Apr 2015, 8:21 am
(04 Apr 2015, 7:00 am)pcvdriver wrote That might tally with the RUMOURS at peterlee,  "MPDs already sold, new buses on the way, then newer buses instead, multiple mentions of Solos, Summer mentioned as the likely time for it happening". Think they'd need 15, but I'm sure that someone will correct me on the numbers..

I think they would need 12-14? Something along those lines is the total PVR of the ''East Durham'' services. Smile
solar5222   12 Apr 2015, 3:26 pm
Go North East are soon to receive some scania omnidekkas from brighton and hove
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
omnicity4659   12 Apr 2015, 3:34 pm
(12 Apr 2015, 3:26 pm)Citaro5292 wrote Go North East are soon to receive some scania omnidekkas from brighton and hove

WTF?! 

Them 'orrid things? Got to say, if we send them crap, we get crap in return.  Wink
solar5222   12 Apr 2015, 3:36 pm
(12 Apr 2015, 3:34 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote WTF?! 

Them 'orrid things? Got to say, if we send them crap, we get crap in return.  Wink

They are for scholars to assist with unreliability issues 
solar5222   12 Apr 2015, 3:38 pm
(12 Apr 2015, 3:37 pm)cbma06 wrote these ones?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighton_%2...03_STZ.jpg

Yes I heard they will be the '03' plate ones
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
S813 FVK   12 Apr 2015, 3:42 pm
Are we sure this is true or is it just speculation? And thank you Citaro #1 (5284) for confirming...still hope that one of the vykings are allocated to me school service tomorrow if they are there for that long.
Michael   12 Apr 2015, 3:44 pm
(12 Apr 2015, 3:42 pm)Robert wrote Are we sure this is true or is it just speculation? And thank you Citaro #1 (5284) for confirming...still hope that one of the vykings are allocated to me school service tomorrow if they are there for that long.

Although its not 5284 who posted that Tongue 

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
S813 FVK   12 Apr 2015, 3:46 pm
(12 Apr 2015, 3:44 pm)Michael wrote Although its not 5284 who posted that Tongue 

I meant regarding 5153 and 5155 being on loan. Sorry, should have made it clearer Tongue 
Michael   12 Apr 2015, 3:47 pm
(12 Apr 2015, 3:42 pm)Robert wrote Are we sure this is true or is it just speculation? And thank you Citaro #1 (5284) for confirming...still hope that one of the vykings are allocated to me school service tomorrow if they are there for that long.

Speculation maybe? 

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Jimmi   12 Apr 2015, 3:48 pm

You actually want a Vyking?!
S813 FVK   12 Apr 2015, 3:49 pm
(12 Apr 2015, 3:48 pm)Jimmi wrote You actually want a Vyking?!

I've never been on one so it would be nice although judging by how much negativity there is about them, i guess its nothing to be looking forward to.
Michael   12 Apr 2015, 3:50 pm
(12 Apr 2015, 3:26 pm)Citaro5292 wrote Go North East are soon to receive some scania omnidekkas from brighton and hove

How many? Tongue 

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
solar5222   12 Apr 2015, 3:50 pm
(12 Apr 2015, 3:44 pm)Michael wrote Although its not 5284 who posted that Tongue 

Well I've heard a few drivers saying it now and a few managers aswell so im gathering it's true considering brighton and hove are displacing some of there scania omnidekkas as new buses have replaced them
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
omnicity4659   12 Apr 2015, 3:52 pm
So are the Volvo Olympians now being withdrawn? I don't think that Jimmi will be pleased, nor am I, never been on one Sad
Jimmi   12 Apr 2015, 3:54 pm
(12 Apr 2015, 3:47 pm)Michael wrote Speculation maybe? 

Who knows, it could be true but then again it may not be true.

I imagine this could potentially prove to be true as at some point soon GNE are going to need some more DDA compliant double deckers for service work as the Olympians and Lolynes will not be able to be used on passenger services come the end of next year and I cannot see GNE investing in new double deckers for the likes of services X25 and 14/X22.
S813 FVK   12 Apr 2015, 3:54 pm
If this happens to be true, im guessing that it will also assist with the withdrawl of the lolynes along with the olympians. Quite a shame that those two vehicle types need to go, even if some of them are little buggers and refuse to go up banks.
Jimmi   12 Apr 2015, 3:56 pm
(12 Apr 2015, 3:52 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote So are the Volvo Olympians now being withdrawn? I don't think that Jimmi will be pleased, nor am I, never been on one Sad

I've only managed to ride three so this will indeed upset me.

Isn't Volvo Olympian's often allocated to the X78 on an afternoon.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
solar5222   12 Apr 2015, 3:57 pm
(12 Apr 2015, 3:54 pm)Robert wrote If this happens to be true, im guessing that it will also assist with the withdrawl of the lolynes along with the olympians. Quite a shame that those two vehicle types need to go, even if some of them are little buggers and refuse to go up banks.

I think if any go first it will be the Olympians.......then the Vikings as they are unreliable 
Jimmi   12 Apr 2015, 4:00 pm
(12 Apr 2015, 3:57 pm)Citaro5292 wrote I think if any go first it will be the Olympians.......then the Vikings as they are unreliable 

Lolynes would probably have to go before the Vykings as the Lolynes aren't DDA compliant.
solar5222   12 Apr 2015, 4:02 pm

(12 Apr 2015, 4:00 pm)citaro5284 wrote Well only at Riverside eh..... Tongue

Not only riverside David deptford aswell 
S813 FVK   12 Apr 2015, 4:02 pm
(12 Apr 2015, 3:56 pm)Jimmi wrote I've only managed to ride three so this will indeed upset me.

Isn't Volvo Olympian's often allocated to the X78 on an afternoon.

Well, the X78 uses whatever was allocated to the Scholars service it interworks with. This is mostly an olympian but could be a Lolyne or B7.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Andreos1   12 Apr 2015, 4:05 pm

I passed at least one unbranded red one, on the A1 on Wednesday morning. Looked like it could have been ex-London, rather than ex B&H.
Where it was going, I have no idea...

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
LeeCalder   12 Apr 2015, 4:23 pm
I was told by someone yesterday (They will remain nameless) that the Black Omnicity's ARE for Toonlink services 11, 31 and 32 with service 47 becoming part of the Red Kite group.
Pages (67)    159 60 6167