Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2013

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2013

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2013

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (15) Previous 113 14 15 Next
cbma06

19 Dec 2013, 6:58 pm #261
(19 Dec 2013, 5:52 pm)Tom There is:
http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/uploadedFiles...Map(1).pdf

Thanks for the link, couldn't find it on the arriva website.

cbma06
19 Dec 2013, 6:58 pm #261

(19 Dec 2013, 5:52 pm)Tom There is:
http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/uploadedFiles...Map(1).pdf

Thanks for the link, couldn't find it on the arriva website.

tyresmoke

19 Dec 2013, 10:51 pm #262
So the oldest Dart finally sees a paint shop...

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
19 Dec 2013, 10:51 pm #262

So the oldest Dart finally sees a paint shop...

tyresmoke

20 Dec 2013, 7:54 am #263
The live map feature on the Arriva Bus App has started to be rolled out across the region. It appears around half of Durham and Stocktons fleet are currently tracking... I can certainly say 1485 doesn't yet!

tyresmoke
20 Dec 2013, 7:54 am #263

The live map feature on the Arriva Bus App has started to be rolled out across the region. It appears around half of Durham and Stocktons fleet are currently tracking... I can certainly say 1485 doesn't yet!

cbma06

20 Dec 2013, 5:03 pm #264
(20 Dec 2013, 7:54 am)tyresmoke The live map feature on the Arriva Bus App has started to be rolled out across the region. It appears around half of Durham and Stocktons fleet are currently tracking... I can certainly say 1485 doesn't yet!

Ive just been viewing the arriva app on my iphone, and its not too bad, at least it will save me from freezing to death waiting at the bus stop on Southway, even though theres been a couple of service 22 that have bypassed Southway and opted to take to the old 22 route in the past few hours.

cbma06
20 Dec 2013, 5:03 pm #264

(20 Dec 2013, 7:54 am)tyresmoke The live map feature on the Arriva Bus App has started to be rolled out across the region. It appears around half of Durham and Stocktons fleet are currently tracking... I can certainly say 1485 doesn't yet!

Ive just been viewing the arriva app on my iphone, and its not too bad, at least it will save me from freezing to death waiting at the bus stop on Southway, even though theres been a couple of service 22 that have bypassed Southway and opted to take to the old 22 route in the past few hours.

CatsFast101

Unregistered

21 Dec 2013, 10:51 am #265
That is such a good feature I'm amazed! (getting a little to excited, I think?!) I think that's an excellent idea, I'd love to see the big 3 all do this and a round of applause to Arriva as the first to do this.
GNE real-time technology testing has been on going for ages now and the line on Facebook is getting very boring now.
Back to Arriva, this a very good feature as a lot of the time it's just the not knowing which angers people. Now people can see on well it's a bit late about 6 Mins late st the moment, great feature.
CatsFast101
21 Dec 2013, 10:51 am #265

That is such a good feature I'm amazed! (getting a little to excited, I think?!) I think that's an excellent idea, I'd love to see the big 3 all do this and a round of applause to Arriva as the first to do this.
GNE real-time technology testing has been on going for ages now and the line on Facebook is getting very boring now.
Back to Arriva, this a very good feature as a lot of the time it's just the not knowing which angers people. Now people can see on well it's a bit late about 6 Mins late st the moment, great feature.

JoshP

21 Dec 2013, 7:13 pm #266
Apparently one of the gas busses in Darlington has been involved in a RTA with a Range Roven in the town centre and there is one confirmed fatality.
JoshP
21 Dec 2013, 7:13 pm #266

Apparently one of the gas busses in Darlington has been involved in a RTA with a Range Roven in the town centre and there is one confirmed fatality.

tyresmoke

21 Dec 2013, 7:16 pm #267
(21 Dec 2013, 7:13 pm)JoshP Apparently one of the gas busses in Darlington has been involved in a RTA with a Range Roven in the town centre and there is one confirmed fatality.

Yes pictures from the scene confirms it as an Ecocity involved... No further details known at present but Northern Echo have confirmed one fatality sadly!

tyresmoke
21 Dec 2013, 7:16 pm #267

(21 Dec 2013, 7:13 pm)JoshP Apparently one of the gas busses in Darlington has been involved in a RTA with a Range Roven in the town centre and there is one confirmed fatality.

Yes pictures from the scene confirms it as an Ecocity involved... No further details known at present but Northern Echo have confirmed one fatality sadly!

Andreos1

21 Dec 2013, 7:36 pm #268
The article states the driver had to be cut free - very early to speculate, so can only presume the fatality was in the car or a passenger on the bus.

Possible write off for the bus?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
21 Dec 2013, 7:36 pm #268

The article states the driver had to be cut free - very early to speculate, so can only presume the fatality was in the car or a passenger on the bus.

Possible write off for the bus?

21 Dec 2013, 11:07 pm #269
Report on the Northern Echo website - http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/10...e/?ref=rss

Says that the 4x4 went into the side of the bus.
Also a driver aged 25 has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving.
One fatality, but doesn't say where the fatality occured.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
21 Dec 2013, 11:07 pm #269

Report on the Northern Echo website - http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/10...e/?ref=rss

Says that the 4x4 went into the side of the bus.
Also a driver aged 25 has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving.
One fatality, but doesn't say where the fatality occured.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/

22 Dec 2013, 8:55 am #270
(19 Dec 2013, 10:51 pm)tyresmoke So the oldest Dart finally sees a paint shop...

Which one?
Roland Pratt
22 Dec 2013, 8:55 am #270

(19 Dec 2013, 10:51 pm)tyresmoke So the oldest Dart finally sees a paint shop...

Which one?

22 Dec 2013, 11:18 am #271
1611 Is the dart
David McGloin
22 Dec 2013, 11:18 am #271

1611 Is the dart

Andreos1

22 Dec 2013, 12:46 pm #272
www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/10893956.Updated__Driver_of_4x4_arrested_after_crash_in_Darlington_town_centre_leaves_passenger_dead/?ref=twtrec

The Northern Echo have updated the story and it seems the driver of the 4x4 has been arrested and the person who died was a passenger in that vehicle.
Another passenger is still receiving treatment.

Andreos1
22 Dec 2013, 12:46 pm #272

www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/10893956.Updated__Driver_of_4x4_arrested_after_crash_in_Darlington_town_centre_leaves_passenger_dead/?ref=twtrec

The Northern Echo have updated the story and it seems the driver of the 4x4 has been arrested and the person who died was a passenger in that vehicle.
Another passenger is still receiving treatment.

nk55

22 Dec 2013, 1:23 pm #273
Just seen 1474 offside branded for 6 " the captains tale", nearside NO Branding. Half hearted or is this because it interworks with the 46 on a sunday?
nk55
22 Dec 2013, 1:23 pm #273

Just seen 1474 offside branded for 6 " the captains tale", nearside NO Branding. Half hearted or is this because it interworks with the 46 on a sunday?

22 Dec 2013, 2:21 pm #274
I don't know what will happen to the bus because I got told that any bus that is involved in a serious fatal collision is transferred to another depot. 1498 was transferred from Jesmond to Darlington when that was involved in the crash in Gosforth after repair. What could happen is the bus will probably be swapped after repair with another one around the country saying it is a very new bus that has a limited purpose. It would be no good for any other depot in the North East so it would be likely that they would do a swap with the runcorn depot.
Davey Bowyer
22 Dec 2013, 2:21 pm #274

I don't know what will happen to the bus because I got told that any bus that is involved in a serious fatal collision is transferred to another depot. 1498 was transferred from Jesmond to Darlington when that was involved in the crash in Gosforth after repair. What could happen is the bus will probably be swapped after repair with another one around the country saying it is a very new bus that has a limited purpose. It would be no good for any other depot in the North East so it would be likely that they would do a swap with the runcorn depot.

tyresmoke

22 Dec 2013, 3:41 pm #275
(22 Dec 2013, 2:21 pm)Davey Bowyer I don't know what will happen to the bus because I got told that any bus that is involved in a serious fatal collision is transferred to another depot. 1498 was transferred from Jesmond to Darlington when that was involved in the crash in Gosforth after repair. What could happen is the bus will probably be swapped after repair with another one around the country saying it is a very new bus that has a limited purpose. It would be no good for any other depot in the North East so it would be likely that they would do a swap with the runcorn depot.

Not necessarily, 1443 wasn't transferred away from Stockton when involved in a fatal accident earlier this year.

tyresmoke
22 Dec 2013, 3:41 pm #275

(22 Dec 2013, 2:21 pm)Davey Bowyer I don't know what will happen to the bus because I got told that any bus that is involved in a serious fatal collision is transferred to another depot. 1498 was transferred from Jesmond to Darlington when that was involved in the crash in Gosforth after repair. What could happen is the bus will probably be swapped after repair with another one around the country saying it is a very new bus that has a limited purpose. It would be no good for any other depot in the North East so it would be likely that they would do a swap with the runcorn depot.

Not necessarily, 1443 wasn't transferred away from Stockton when involved in a fatal accident earlier this year.

22 Dec 2013, 4:10 pm #276
Didnt 1498 only go to Darlington because it had already been replaced at jesmond by 1499/1500 from Blyth while it was away for repair.
22 Dec 2013, 4:10 pm #276

Didnt 1498 only go to Darlington because it had already been replaced at jesmond by 1499/1500 from Blyth while it was away for repair.

22 Dec 2013, 4:26 pm #277
That and the rumour of it been a jinx vehicle after it had been involved with 3 incidents since new.

First it was flooded.
Then it was in a collision with a Pedestrian.
Then it had the head on crash.

Rapidsnap
22 Dec 2013, 4:26 pm #277

That and the rumour of it been a jinx vehicle after it had been involved with 3 incidents since new.

First it was flooded.
Then it was in a collision with a Pedestrian.
Then it had the head on crash.

22 Dec 2013, 11:57 pm #278
I don't get Arriva's fleet policy whatsoever. They just hoy on what they want on any given route with no consistency, poor fleet buying decisions, several London cascades and cascaded high floor vehicles from Yorkshire. Arriva have dug themselves a grave thanks to their ridiculous fleet buying policy of buying on the cheap and not thinking about the long run. They don't see the implications of buying cheap buses that are wholly not suited to the purpose that Arriva would want. One example is the E400 purchases and the VDL DB300 Gemini 2 purchases. Both buses come with the same Cummins Engine that is only designed for use in Towns and Cities. Now Arriva could've shelled out a bit more with regards to the Wrightbus orders and purchased the Volvo B9TL chassis instead. If they had've done that instead if buying the VDL chassis with the Cummins Engine, they would now have a very strong fleet across the Blyth and Ashington depots that would give a good 7 to 10 years of reliability and peformance to Arriva. But did they think about that? No, they just buy the cheapest of the lot and run them into the ground. If GNE had've bought the VDL Gemini instead of the B9TL Gemini for the TEN, TTX and Red Arrows, they'd be constantly be VOR and after just a few years, they would require serious maintenance dueto them being used for the wrong purpose. What is Arriva going to do in years to come when the 9 litre Lowlanders have seen better days? The only option they'll have is to buy average Scania E400's that don't quite match up to the standards of the Volvo B9TL.
Davey Bowyer
22 Dec 2013, 11:57 pm #278

I don't get Arriva's fleet policy whatsoever. They just hoy on what they want on any given route with no consistency, poor fleet buying decisions, several London cascades and cascaded high floor vehicles from Yorkshire. Arriva have dug themselves a grave thanks to their ridiculous fleet buying policy of buying on the cheap and not thinking about the long run. They don't see the implications of buying cheap buses that are wholly not suited to the purpose that Arriva would want. One example is the E400 purchases and the VDL DB300 Gemini 2 purchases. Both buses come with the same Cummins Engine that is only designed for use in Towns and Cities. Now Arriva could've shelled out a bit more with regards to the Wrightbus orders and purchased the Volvo B9TL chassis instead. If they had've done that instead if buying the VDL chassis with the Cummins Engine, they would now have a very strong fleet across the Blyth and Ashington depots that would give a good 7 to 10 years of reliability and peformance to Arriva. But did they think about that? No, they just buy the cheapest of the lot and run them into the ground. If GNE had've bought the VDL Gemini instead of the B9TL Gemini for the TEN, TTX and Red Arrows, they'd be constantly be VOR and after just a few years, they would require serious maintenance dueto them being used for the wrong purpose. What is Arriva going to do in years to come when the 9 litre Lowlanders have seen better days? The only option they'll have is to buy average Scania E400's that don't quite match up to the standards of the Volvo B9TL.

Kuyoyo

23 Dec 2013, 12:59 am #279
(22 Dec 2013, 11:57 pm)Davey Bowyer I don't get Arriva's fleet policy whatsoever. They just hoy on what they want on any given route with no consistency, poor fleet buying decisions, several London cascades and cascaded high floor vehicles from Yorkshire. Arriva have dug themselves a grave thanks to their ridiculous fleet buying policy of buying on the cheap and not thinking about the long run. They don't see the implications of buying cheap buses that are wholly not suited to the purpose that Arriva would want. One example is the E400 purchases and the VDL DB300 Gemini 2 purchases. Both buses come with the same Cummins Engine that is only designed for use in Towns and Cities. Now Arriva could've shelled out a bit more with regards to the Wrightbus orders and purchased the Volvo B9TL chassis instead. If they had've done that instead if buying the VDL chassis with the Cummins Engine, they would now have a very strong fleet across the Blyth and Ashington depots that would give a good 7 to 10 years of reliability and peformance to Arriva. But did they think about that? No, they just buy the cheapest of the lot and run them into the ground. If GNE had've bought the VDL Gemini instead of the B9TL Gemini for the TEN, TTX and Red Arrows, they'd be constantly be VOR and after just a few years, they would require serious maintenance dueto them being used for the wrong purpose. What is Arriva going to do in years to come when the 9 litre Lowlanders have seen better days? The only option they'll have is to buy average Scania E400's that don't quite match up to the standards of the Volvo B9TL.

No, notice that the B9TLs on the X9/X10 have been proving unreliable in the last few months and they are only 16 months old! The DB300s have proved themselves more than capable on the fast express between Blyth and Newcastle as well as on the X1/X2. And actually, Cummins engines are actually quite decent engines, just depends how they are set up. Also you fail to realise as of Euro6, the Volvo decker is the B5TL, so no 9 litre engine anymore (and funny enough, it was the operators that requests the 5 litre engine, Volvo were originally going for the B8TL to go with the B8RLE and the B8R). As do Scania's deckers! you do realises they can be ordered with 3 different BHP ratings (Stagecoach have been ordering the lowest one, the 230, while there is also the 270 and the 310 options).

As for vehicle allocation, it's the same as everyone else - the newest vehicles are used on the most profitable routes, which are the ones that can justify them.
Kuyoyo
23 Dec 2013, 12:59 am #279

(22 Dec 2013, 11:57 pm)Davey Bowyer I don't get Arriva's fleet policy whatsoever. They just hoy on what they want on any given route with no consistency, poor fleet buying decisions, several London cascades and cascaded high floor vehicles from Yorkshire. Arriva have dug themselves a grave thanks to their ridiculous fleet buying policy of buying on the cheap and not thinking about the long run. They don't see the implications of buying cheap buses that are wholly not suited to the purpose that Arriva would want. One example is the E400 purchases and the VDL DB300 Gemini 2 purchases. Both buses come with the same Cummins Engine that is only designed for use in Towns and Cities. Now Arriva could've shelled out a bit more with regards to the Wrightbus orders and purchased the Volvo B9TL chassis instead. If they had've done that instead if buying the VDL chassis with the Cummins Engine, they would now have a very strong fleet across the Blyth and Ashington depots that would give a good 7 to 10 years of reliability and peformance to Arriva. But did they think about that? No, they just buy the cheapest of the lot and run them into the ground. If GNE had've bought the VDL Gemini instead of the B9TL Gemini for the TEN, TTX and Red Arrows, they'd be constantly be VOR and after just a few years, they would require serious maintenance dueto them being used for the wrong purpose. What is Arriva going to do in years to come when the 9 litre Lowlanders have seen better days? The only option they'll have is to buy average Scania E400's that don't quite match up to the standards of the Volvo B9TL.

No, notice that the B9TLs on the X9/X10 have been proving unreliable in the last few months and they are only 16 months old! The DB300s have proved themselves more than capable on the fast express between Blyth and Newcastle as well as on the X1/X2. And actually, Cummins engines are actually quite decent engines, just depends how they are set up. Also you fail to realise as of Euro6, the Volvo decker is the B5TL, so no 9 litre engine anymore (and funny enough, it was the operators that requests the 5 litre engine, Volvo were originally going for the B8TL to go with the B8RLE and the B8R). As do Scania's deckers! you do realises they can be ordered with 3 different BHP ratings (Stagecoach have been ordering the lowest one, the 230, while there is also the 270 and the 310 options).

As for vehicle allocation, it's the same as everyone else - the newest vehicles are used on the most profitable routes, which are the ones that can justify them.

tyresmoke

23 Dec 2013, 8:49 am #280
(23 Dec 2013, 12:59 am)Kuyoyo No, notice that the B9TLs on the X9/X10 have been proving unreliable in the last few months and they are only 16 months old! The DB300s have proved themselves more than capable on the fast express between Blyth and Newcastle as well as on the X1/X2. And actually, Cummins engines are actually quite decent engines, just depends how they are set up. Also you fail to realise as of Euro6, the Volvo decker is the B5TL, so no 9 litre engine anymore (and funny enough, it was the operators that requests the 5 litre engine, Volvo were originally going for the B8TL to go with the B8RLE and the B8R). As do Scania's deckers! you do realises they can be ordered with 3 different BHP ratings (Stagecoach have been ordering the lowest one, the 230, while there is also the 270 and the 310 options).

The DB300s aren't as reliable as you'd ideally like but they do ok on express routes, they are limited at 50mph though which isn't ideal. Many have undergone expensive engine rebuilds at 2-3 years old! Having said that, the B9s on X9/X10 are starting to have issues too, the 0710 X10 from Middlesbrough hasn't run the morning because it broke down coming south. They're both decent vehicles but not designed for the purpose they're used on.

tyresmoke
23 Dec 2013, 8:49 am #280

(23 Dec 2013, 12:59 am)Kuyoyo No, notice that the B9TLs on the X9/X10 have been proving unreliable in the last few months and they are only 16 months old! The DB300s have proved themselves more than capable on the fast express between Blyth and Newcastle as well as on the X1/X2. And actually, Cummins engines are actually quite decent engines, just depends how they are set up. Also you fail to realise as of Euro6, the Volvo decker is the B5TL, so no 9 litre engine anymore (and funny enough, it was the operators that requests the 5 litre engine, Volvo were originally going for the B8TL to go with the B8RLE and the B8R). As do Scania's deckers! you do realises they can be ordered with 3 different BHP ratings (Stagecoach have been ordering the lowest one, the 230, while there is also the 270 and the 310 options).

The DB300s aren't as reliable as you'd ideally like but they do ok on express routes, they are limited at 50mph though which isn't ideal. Many have undergone expensive engine rebuilds at 2-3 years old! Having said that, the B9s on X9/X10 are starting to have issues too, the 0710 X10 from Middlesbrough hasn't run the morning because it broke down coming south. They're both decent vehicles but not designed for the purpose they're used on.

Pages (15) Previous 113 14 15 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average